Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brink

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 10, 2011

A multiplayer-focused, class-based first-person shooter running on id Tech 4, in which oppressive soldiers and anarchistic terrorists battle for the few remaining resources on a failed paradise known as the Ark.

Brink (Xbox 360) already "Shovelware" in Germany?

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mortal_sb

so, the new "Mediamarkt" flyer is out here in Germany. Mediamarkt is basically your american BestBuy or whatever. They advertise a special promotion where you can get "3 top titles" for 49€ and you can pick which ever you want out of a wide range of games. you can see the games here: (left page:  http://www.abload.de/browseGallery.php?gal=uTO6LcDs&img=8enye.jpg right page:  http://www.abload.de/browseGallery.php?gal=uTO6LcDs&img=95ufu.jpg)
    and as you can see, there a quite some good games. But what's that on the bottom? The Xbox 360 Version of Brink?! Did the reviews destroy every sales expectation they and probably Mediamarkt had and are now trying to get it out of their system?
    I mean, 49€ for 3 games is a steal. That's 16-17€ for a game, which is not more then 22-24 american US Dollar. I normally buy - even if i'm in germany - my games in the uk because they already sell them super cheap (L.A. Noire for about 45 US $) but this is just  ridiculous.

Anyway. Anyone of the germans here are gonna pick this up? I think i am still going to pass. Overly tired of "modern shooters"

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

UK games are super cheap to you? ...what.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Yanngc33

KILL IT WITH FIRE

@Hitchenson@PeasForFees
    Amazon UK has some new releases pretty cheap
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By vitor

@Hitchenson said:

Paying £30 for a new release in the UK is actually a good saving compared to the usual $60 in the US.

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mortal_sb
    @Hitchenson said:

yeah, really! here in germany you're paying always full price for your games. portal would've cost me 45€ at the local gamestop or Mediamarkt. I ordered it from thehut with included postage for 25€ (!!!) I also get about 90% of my DVDs from the UK. Their so damn expensive here.

@PeasForFees said:

You cannot find LA noire for $45 anywhere in England, £35 to £40 sure but thats $55 to $60

i saw it in a promotion for ~30£. that's still preeetty cheap.
    KosmoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By KosmoK
    @Hitchenson said:
    Actually they are. A new release costs roughly 35-40 GBP on amazon in the UK which is about 40-45 EUR plus shipping, while here in Germany a new game costs about 60-70 EUR retail (with the exception of the occasional discount which brings it down to about 55 EUR in average). So that's a lot more money than importing it from the UK.
    Just the other day I saw Vanquish at our local Mediamarkt for a whopping 70 EUR. The problem is that games don't necessarily get cheaper, they remain expensive for a long time.
    KosmoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KosmoK
    @mortal_sb:
    Oh, and to answer your qustion: no. I played the beta a few months back and it wasn't very good back then, so the current reviews are only backing my experience with it. And seeing that not a lot has changed since then, I'm inclined to just forget about it. There are a lot of better games already on the market today and a lot more coming this year. It's just not worth it.
    matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By matti00

One of those PC games has the guy that hosted Eurovision on it! Schlag den Raab sounds rude.
    Games are really cheap in the UK, and the supermarkets are working to drive down prices even further. Plus, I get a 30% staff discount, so if you wanna buy games off me and give me a slight profit I could do with the cash! haha. I'm getting LA Noire tomorrow for £28, that's 31 EUR or $45, suck on that!

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mnzy
    @Hitchenson said:

Bought Enslaved for ~12€ last weekend, free shipping, from the UK. Vanquish before that for about the same amount. It's pretty common within gamers, because nothing like that is available here.

@matti00

said:

One of those PC games has the guy that hosted Eurovision on it! Schlag den Raab sounds rude.

I think you have "Beat your host" or "Beat the star" or something like that in the UK. That's basically the same. He invented that format and sells it, staring himself.
    KosmoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KosmoK
    @matti00 said:

Well, that's Stefan Raab. And one of his shows is "Schlag den Raab" which has been sold around the globe and is known in the UK as "Beat the Star". Even the logo is practically identical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_the_Star
    matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By matti00
    @KosmoK
    @matti00 said:

Well, that's Stefan Raab. And one of his shows is "Schlag den Raab" which has been sold around the globe and is known in the UK as "Beat the Star". Even the logo is practically identical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_the_Star
    That does look familiar, think I watched half an episode once. That guy sounds pretty successful, but if you want to talk about shovelware, Schlag den Raab: The Videogame for PC sounds like the very definition of it.
    mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mortal_sb
    @matti00 said:

That does look familiar, think I watched half an episode once. That guy sounds pretty successful, but if you want to talk about shovelware, Schlag den Raab: The Videogame for PC sounds like the very definition of it.

hahaha, yeah. but that was my point: brink got thrown in the same promotion like these cheap TV show games 2 weeks after its release. when you look at amazon.de (who's always copying the promotions and deals from mediamarkt), you can get brink for 43€ stand alone or you can buy two other games for just 6 euros more! that's insane!
    chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By chan05

I bought two times Brink (for me and my brother) and Dead Space 2 in the MediaMarkt deal for 49 euros! Its ridiculous!!! And even Amazon droped the price for Brink to 20 something euros. I kind of feel bad for the developers. I bet they are in big trouble now. 

Oh and i totally agree, games in Germany are very expensive. Usual price for a new game is 60 Euros or even more for some blockbusters (Call of Duty Black Ops is still 65 in local stores in my area...65!!!).

Wody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Wody

And I am THE BROTHER :P ...thehut seems awesome, have to try that one for the next games! 

Look at this ...amazon.de : CoD:MW3 for 69,99€ ...thehut: 42 pounds(49€)...unbelievable

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mortal_sb

6 months later and i'm trying the free weekend on steam. i'm glad that i've passed. but i like the menues i have to say.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vitor said:

@Hitchenson said:
    Paying £30 for a new release in the UL is actually a good saving compared to the usual $60 in the US.

Please, tell me where I can get new games in the UK for that price.

Granted, greenmangaming has some great deals on games, but the standard is ~£40.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deerokus

@GetEveryone: Shopto.net and amazon are usually around £32-35 on release, sometimes cheaper.

And yeah, when I lived in France I just bought everything from UK amazon, to hell with €70 for a year old game. There just seems to be no competition in game pricing in the Euro zone whatsoever. Places like Monoprix seem to put the games out on display, never sell them, then just forget about them and leave them sitting on the shelves at full whack. In the UK it's very competitive, as well as online retailers, supermarkets will often offer big discounts or deals on big releases, and HMV generally have ok deals. Game/Gamestation are joke who charge far too much, but they'll disappear soon.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By biospank

I don't import from uk anymore cuz they put the value of the object and if it cost more then 20gbp then I have to pay toll for it.
    I was about to say that games aint expensive in Norway but they cost 51-65 euro. If I was you I would import from hong kong.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bybeach

@GetEveryone said:

@Vitor said:

@Hitchenson said:
    Paying £30 for a new release in the UL is actually a good saving compared to the usual $60 in the US.

Granted, greenmangaming has some great deals on games, but the standard is ~£40.

Well if you are talking about new games, 40 Euro is 54.04 in USD, so in the UK you ppl. arn't doing too badly.It sounds like Germany hates gamers and gaming with 65-70 Euro(87.00 - 94.58!) That is a lot of money.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deerokus

@biospank: Does the EEA not apply? Within the EU there is a customs union, so no import tax if you import a game from the UK to Germany, France, etc.. I know you guys aren't fully in the EU, but I had been under the (false?) impression that for things like customs the EEA has the same provisions.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By bacongames

This is both a sad and fortunate reminder that games are stupid cheap in the US even at full retail prices.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mnzy

@bybeach said:

@GetEveryone said:

@Vitor said:

@Hitchenson said:

Well if you are talking about new games, 40 Euro is 54.04 in USD, so in the UK you ppl. arn't doing too badly.It sounds like Germany hates gamers and gaming with 65-70 Euro(87.00 - 94.58!) That is a lot of money.

That's not true. Console games are usually 55€ in the stores, PC games 45-50€. Gears 3 was 44,99€ when it came out.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ch3burashka

"Shovelware" is definitely not the word to use here.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By mosdl

Brink is $14.99 on US Amazon - game was a flop.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bybeach

@mnzy said:

@bybeach said:

@GetEveryone said:

@Vitor said:

@Hitchenson said:

That's not true. Console games are usually 55€ in the stores, PC games 45-50€. Gears 3 was 44,99€ when it came out.

Okay. I was going by the example given earlier..so that would be74.31 and 60.80 - 67.55 USD equiv. I've been paying 59.00 top price for Console and usually 49.00 to (too many times) up to 59.00 or so for Pc. I hope the Steam sales are right across for you, I have no idea how Steam prices internationally. Amazon it seems has it's different divisions.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By JoeyRavn

@mosdl said:

Brink is $14.99 on US Amazon - game was a flop.

This. This so many times. Shovelware = low budget game made for the quick bucks, without any kind of quality control. In this case, the concept the OP is looking for is "bargain bin", that is, games that have been so heavily discounted they shop doesn't even bother putting it in the shelves. They get thrown into a bin with many other cheap games, hence "bargain bin games".

Edit: Also, Brink + DLC €6 on Steam during the weekend. Still not worth the price.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By MysteriousBob

@GetEveryone said:

@Vitor said:

@Hitchenson said:

I think they must mean a different 'UK' because the 'United Kingdom' I live in doesn't have games that damn cheap.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deerokus

@bybeach: Steam pricing is odd in much the same way. One of the best things about GOG.com is that everything is in the flat US$ price in every country. Simple and fair.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By vitor

@MysteriousBob said:

@GetEveryone said:

@Vitor said:

@Hitchenson said:

I think they must mean a different 'UK' because the 'United Kingdom' I live in doesn't have games that damn cheap.

I have never paid more than £30 for a new PC game. Sites like GMG, Amazon and even shopto/coolshop.co.uk have the new retail titles for far, far cheaper than Steam.

As for console games, I only paid £38 for Uncharted 3 and £35 for Gears 3. That's all from places online like amazon etc.

Bawlsz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bawlsz

Retail price of games in UK are £40, its hard to find games which are £30, also you can get LA Noire for £15-£30 in UK stores and online.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By biospank
    @deerokus: there is an import tax if you are buying a video games or film, junk. if does not cost under 200nkr you have to pay a tax, I know because I imported 2 games recentlly from japan for 1200nkr and the tax where 414nkr.
    mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mscupcakes

New games in Ireland are usually €40-60 which isn't too bad, but sometimes I can find some great deals on games around €15-20 after waiting a month or so.

Taefarinas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Taefarinas

@mortal_sb: Since the conversation has kind of drifted from Brink to games in general, I also almost always buy my games from the UK as well. I save a bunch over Steam by buying from Direct2Drive UK though small releases get bought from Steam, and I buy my 360 games from the UK amazon. I mostly do it because I don't like the idea of playing the censored version, and my German is not quite good enough to get the nuances from the German version. It has backfired once - I bought the UK version of Borderlands, had a blast, and then during an XBox sale a few weeks ago picked up the DLC. When i went to play it last week it refused to play, kicking me out to the menu everytime. Turns out the DLC is censored in Germany, but XBox kindly refunded my credits.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sogeman

@Hitchenson said:

new games from the UK amount to about 20€ savings usually.

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mortal_sb

@Sogeman said:

@Hitchenson said:

new games from the UK amount to about 20€ savings usually.

great example: deus ex human revolution was on sale last week (in the uk) for 12,45€, shipping included to germany. you can't get it for under 40€ here. so yeah. uk is pretty damn cheap.

@Taefarinas said:

@mortal_sb: Since the conversation has kind of drifted from Brink to games in general, I also almost always buy my games from the UK as well. I save a bunch over Steam by buying from Direct2Drive UK though small releases get bought from Steam, and I buy my 360 games from the UK amazon. I mostly do it because I don't like the idea of playing the censored version, and my German is not quite good enough to get the nuances from the German version. It has backfired once - I bought the UK version of Borderlands, had a blast, and then during an XBox sale a few weeks ago picked up the DLC. When i went to play it last week it refused to play, kicking me out to the menu everytime. Turns out the DLC is censored in Germany, but XBox kindly refunded my credits.

so, we're do you live now and what's your nationality? (my first guess was ramstein, u.s, and army :D) i'm a little bit confused. i think the last game that i bought in germany, in a regular store, was universe at war für 2€ because it was shovelware. prior to that starcraft 2. but since then i've only bought games from the uk (play.com, thehut.com, zavvi.com) and over steam (just got bully, civ 5, the humble indie bundles, rock of ages...) i don't even know how the german market continues to exist with these ridiculous prices.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.