Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bully

Franchise »

The Bully franchise consists of only the first game and its re-release. A sequel has been rumored from time to time, but never confirmed.

Does Bully's story get more interesting?

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By nutter

I've put a handful of hours into Bully. I'm a short ways past Christmas. If I'm not digging the story or missions yet, I assume I should just move on to something I enjoy more. The setting is great, but fetch quests and what feels like a disconnect between the missions and a story arc are keeping me from really enjoying my time with it.

Anyhow, does it get better? Would I be missing out if I just moved on to something else, or does it sound like this game just isn't for me?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I'm 7 hours into it, I dunno about "Christmas" so I guess I haven't reached that part yet, but..

fetch quests and what feels like a disconnect between the missions and a story arc a

..is what made me stop a couple of weeks ago. It feels like a really weak GTA, there's the open world and the various activities, but the story is weak and disconnected from what I actually do as a player in the game, and the missions are boring fetch quests.

I doubt it gets better, bro. Not to mention that the 2005 mechanics and animations are lame!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By nightriff

Guess I won't try out the game. GB Crew (Mainly Ryan) talk mad love about the game so I thought I would try it out sometime when I get some spare cash but it sounds like games have evolved so far since then that I just can't play it. Same reason I stopped playing Psychonauts a few weeks ago because game mechanics 7 years ago were complete shit. If you guys continue to play it let me know if it turns around.

Divina_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Divina_Rex

The story evolves into some conspiracy about people outside of school. At least That's the major part, if that interests you.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By wjb

If it hasn't grabbed you yet, it probably never will.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Spoonman671

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Klei

Bully doesn't have an interesting story and it's one of the few games where I can forgive it entirely. I never felt like this game needed a story '' explanation '' just to proceed through its classes and missions.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nutter

The only "Rockstar" Rockstar games that I've completed are GTA4 and LA Noire. I LOVED Niko in GTA and I felt obliged to stick it out through the mundane back 9 of LA Noire.

GTA3 and Vice City; I barely scratched them. I hung in there with Red Dead until Mexico started. That game was getting long in the tooth 30% in. Bully feels the same way.

They need to cut the extra stuff or just give
    me an easy fast-path through the main narrative. Amalur did a good job of that. As soon as it started to feel like it was overstaying its welcome, I was able to just bum-rush the main quest for some payoff.

I LOVED Max Payne 3 because it had that Rockstar swagger, played well
    enough, and the campaign length felt perfect.

The mechanics of Bully actually don't bother me. I'm of the mindset that even bad games are pretty alright nowadays. I played through Duke Nukem Forever recently and enjoyed most of it, REALLY digging certain sections, and hating at least one. I grabbed Deadliest Warrior Somethingorother and had fun with it ( it's equal parts really bad, kinda awesome, and straight-up busted). Lucha Libre AAA Heros del Ring provided me with hours of entertainment and a hell of a smirk.

Anyway, I can derive pleasure from most games, especially if they deliver something unique. Bully though...I'd love to love it but its all so boring. It feels like if there was a clear plot, it'd be fun to follow along. The opening stuff with your first "friend" is interesting enough, but somewhere along the way you get lost doing nothing of interest or consequence in ways that aren't at all engaging.

Maybe I'll check out Game of Thrones or Deadly Premonition. Even if they're kinda bad, they should at least be interesting.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nutter
    @Klei Yeah, I find everything about the game good enough, perfectly fine. That one standout component just isn't there for
    me right now. That bit that grabs you and doesn't let go.

It had me at first, and some missions are great boarding school hijinx, but the stuff in the winter segment of the game doesn't feel like it takes advantage of it. I'm a bit torn, maybe I'll give it one more session to get my attention again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.