Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bungie

Company »

Bungie is a development studio owned by Sony Interactive Entertainment. They are the creators of the Marathon, Myth, Halo, and Destiny series of games.

Bungie and Activision Announce ExclusiveWorldwide Publishing Deal

• 116 results
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Azteck: No dude, I really did wake up and lost 4 straight in SC2 when I woke up.  Fucking idiots using the broken ass Zerg.  I needed a reason to get pissed at something, and I hate Bungie...so I hope they get their ass handed to them from Activision now.  I mean, how the hell can you make the SAME GAME for the last 10 years and get the top selling series.

They ruined the online community, gave birth to the Halo Generation, and hopefully with Activision looking over Bungie...Blizzard can get more peace and quiet.  Oh god, I'm just scared that after all of this...some guys from Bungie will jump on Blizzard.  Oh man, that would suck.  

I don't care what happens with this as long as no one touches Blizzard.
    dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By dvorak
    @KaosAngel said:
    " FUCK THIS BULLSHIT!    After SC2, I am not buying Blizzard stuff.  FUCK ACTIVISION! "
    You mean after Diablo 3. Don't forget about Universe of Starcraft.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#103  Edited By KaosAngel
    @dvorak said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " FUCK THIS BULLSHIT!    After SC2, I am not buying Blizzard stuff.  FUCK ACTIVISION! "
    You mean after Diablo 3. Don't forget about Universe of Starcraft. "
    Oh yeah, and Warcraft 4.  >.>  God Blizzard, fucking bail all ready...look at the shit Activision is doing....
    RogueBomber12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#104  Edited By RogueBomber12

It is only a publishing deal. And bungie's smart, they would have a better contract than IW. I mean they got out of a deal with microsoft and their army of lawyers.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By Azteck
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Azteck: No dude, I really did wake up and lost 4 straight in SC2 when I woke up.  Fucking idiots using the broken ass Zerg.  I needed a reason to get pissed at something, and I hate Bungie...so I hope they get their ass handed to them from Activision now.  I mean, how the hell can you make the SAME GAME for the last 10 years and get the top selling series.  They ruined the online community, gave birth to the Halo Generation, and hopefully with Activision looking over Bungie...Blizzard can get more peace and quiet.  Oh god, I'm just scared that after all of this...some guys from Bungie will jump on Blizzard.  Oh man, that would suck.    I don't care what happens with this as long as no one touches Blizzard. "
    Dude, chill out. Now you're just stupid. They didn't birth the "halo generation", they just got that name. It would've happened as the gaming industry grew anyway. And besides, it's a publishing deal. They do not own Bungie and therefore can't relocate staff.
    tracerace11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By tracerace11

I hate Activision with a passion, and so when I read about the story this morning.... I had a sick feeling. After reading into it, its not as bad as I thought it would be.  Here is the thing, Bungie will still own their own IPs, and will still be independent.  As much as the hardcore gamer hates Activision (I definitely hate them), the general public probably likes them.  Think about it, Activision is known for pumping out Guitar Heros to please the masses, and also for creating the marvelous marketing campaign for Modern Warfare 2.  So think could be something that sends Bungie into the stratosphere. 

cravins90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By cravins90
    @Kibblez said:
    " 10 years? I bet we'll see 15 Bungie games during that period "
    Eh, 5 maybe. No more like 3.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Wes899 said:
    " @get2sammyb said:
    " The reaction's a bit ridiculous folks. Bungie are still completely free to do as they wish. Activision will just be putting their games in box. This sounds like it's a good deal on Bungie's part to me. They even retain IP. "
    "
    Don't forget that Activision can now put as much pressure on Bungie as they want, including ridiculous deadlines and ultra-short development cycles, all in the name of the investors. Remember Kotick's words, it's never about fun with Activision - I hope Bungie is fit for 24/7 crunch-time.
    dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By dvorak
    @Styl3s said:
    " Ok.. still going to buy games from bungie/activision, you guys can boycott and hate all day and night and waste your time doing so, ill be sitting on my sofa enjoying the games. "
    This is precisely the attitude that I take. If the game itself is good, honestly, the stuff that goes on in the background isn't all that important to me. This idea of solidarity or whatever isn't actually helping anyone.
    Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Hot_Karl

Guys, yes this is crazy, but let's calm down for a second. Here are three things I'll get off my chest. 

1. Activision DOES NOT own Bungie, they're just partners now. Bungie makes the games, Activision publishes them. Bungie still gets intellectual rights and stuff. 
    2. Microsoft still owns the rights to the Halo license. There could be a gentleman's agreement between Bungie and Microsoft where Microsoft says that they won't make a new canon Halo game without the original company (much like the gentleman's agreement when Pixar and Disney split up), but seeing as Microsoft already published Halo Wars, that's not very likely. For the immediate future, Halo games will still be exclusive to Microsoft hardware. 
    3. Although it is peculiar that they make this announcement a day before the new Call of Duty trailer hits, I believe they've gone on record saying that this new CoD game is being developed by Treyarch, which most likely makes this that Vietnam follow-up to World at War.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By august
    @atomic_dumpling said:
    " @Wes899 said:
    " @get2sammyb said:
    " The reaction's a bit ridiculous folks. Bungie are still completely free to do as they wish. Activision will just be putting their games in box. This sounds like it's a good deal on Bungie's part to me. They even retain IP. "
    "
    Don't forget that Activision can now put as much pressure on Bungie as they want, including ridiculous deadlines and ultra-short development cycles, all in the name of the investors. Remember Kotick's words, it's never about fun with Activision - I hope Bungie is fit for 24/7 crunch-time. "
    I wouldn't be surprised if the number of games over whatever period of time is already stipulated in the contract.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#112  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @atomic_dumpling said:

Don't forget that Activision can now put as much pressure on Bungie as they want, including ridiculous deadlines and ultra-short development cycles, all in the name of the investors. Remember Kotick's words, it's never about fun with Activision - I hope Bungie is fit for 24/7 crunch-time. "

This is not true. These deals are not black and white.
    All these things would be drawn up in the contract, and change drastically from contract to contract.
    Considering their pedigree I really don't believe Bungie would except these types of terms.
    bunnyboiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#113  Edited By bunnyboiler
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#114  Edited By ajamafalous
    @bunnyboiler: It's like he's staring into my soul.
    zxspectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#115  Edited By zxspectrum

Note how in the responses from Bungie they state  'While Activision is a powerful publisher, and while publishers often call the shots about how games are made, Bungie will retain a lot of decision-making power in this new deal.". A lot of decision-making still leaves room for Act to call the shots and put pressure on the studio. Also note what isnt said. Bungie have NOTsaid that the remainiing Decision-Making powers are all relating to publising decisions.
    I hope that I am concerned for nothing, but sometimes you get a feeling that feels are gonna end up bad

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#116  Edited By butano
    @Zereta said:
    " From the Beginning, You know the End "  
    Oh God, this had me lol-ing for a good minute!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.