Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

are you a fan of COD series ? why and why not ?

• 84 results
    Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ben99

I love COD games . In fact, I want a game every year . It's so addictive and fun like no other games I've played . It should be released regularly just like Madden , Fifa, NBA, NFS...etc . You could tell by now that I'm a fan of COD and I won't hate on others for not liking the series . 

The reason why I like COD games is the intense , thrilling and fast online battles  . The perks  and killstreaks that debuted in COD 4 made the series what it is now . I only play COD games for the multiplayer and couldn't care less for any other modes . 
    MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MideonNViscera

Well, I find it sucks for the exact reasons you like it. Plus, it disconnects me about half the games I'm in and boots us all back to the lobby, even though they supposedly have host migration. Call of Duty is an ok game when I wanna embrace my ADD and just run around killing guys, but it's just so simplistic I really take no joy in it. Not to mention how winning or losing doesn't even have a purpose. 
    I get that you want a new CoD every year because you really like it, but do you really want to pay $80 or whatever every single year just for a new CoD that really isn't much different than the previous one? It's the same as paying $80 a year for a roster update and a new gimmick in Madden. There's been 3 CoDs since MW1. Is Black Ops really 3 games worth better than MW? Does that question make sense to anyone besides me?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Ben99 said:
    " I love COD games . In fact, I want a game every year . It's so addictive and fun like no other games I've played . It should be released regularly just like Madden , Fifa, NBA, NFS...etc . You could tell by now that I'm a fan of COD and I won't hate on others for not liking the series . 
    The reason why I like COD games is the intense , thrilling and fast online battles  . The perks  and killstreaks that debuted in COD 4 made the series what it is now . I only play COD games for the multiplayer and couldn't care less for any other modes . 
    "
    The only thing I do not like about the online is the match making. I would love to play with people my skill level. Not with people who have the highest level and all the guns. And have played the game since the first COD online version. 
    plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By plop1920

I was a fan of it since the first cod. Lack of innovation since cod4 and the community killed it for me ;/

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By natetodamax

Yeah, I am. I've been obsessively playing Black Ops for the past week or so with a friend. Yesterday I has to stop because my fingers were getting super cramped and my back was hurting from sitting in my chair for practically the entire day

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss

Not really. I liked the campaigns in CoD2 and CoD4 but other than that they're just not my bag. I can totally see what people like about them tho.

...plus, I suck at them and don't have the time to dedicate to getting better.
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sjupp

I am. Passively. With BLOPS being what it was on PC I am going to give the next one a good hard look before buying it though. I'm more into Halo and BF.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Winternet

Always likes the COD games. They were all pretty good. Except the 3rd one. And those weird expansions and whatnot like Finest Hour and so on.

Gotta say, COD4 is the most memorable for me. At the time, it was like nothing else on the market.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i used to worship Call of Duty around 2003-2005

i thought Call of Duty 2 was awesome, but it never really intrigued me as much as 1
    i was extremely hyped for Call of Duty 4. loved every moment of it because it felt so fresh and original

then a World War 2 Call of Duty was announced just next year.. i was shocked, but dead hyped because personally i cant get enough of WW2 shooters

then the sequel to 4 was announced the next year... i was losing the hype and excitement i once felt for Call of Duty games, and it felt real shitty.. after beating MW2 i realized 3 things :
    • The franchise's dignity is gone. its a whore now
    • The cod multiplayer has become a big stinking swamp designed for assholes and kill harvesters
    • I'm never going to look forward to a Call of Duty game ever again :(
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thehexeditor

CoD has always been a "4 out of 5 stars" series for me.

Black Ops is the last Call of Duty that this is true for unless they drastically change the next one for the better. If not, I'm probably going to go 2 or 3 of 5.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gargantuan

CoD games are pretty fun but I prefer Halo. The last CoD game I bought was CoD 4 and I have no desire to buy any more, I don't hate the newer games though.

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LeYcH

The milking and little innovation just killed it for me,

As well as the overpriced DLC's and the community in general, then there's the broken lobby's and simplistic gameplay.
    MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MideonNViscera
    @LeYcH said:
    " The milking and little innovation just killed it for me,
    As well as the overpriced DLC's and the community in general, then there's the broken lobby's and simplistic gameplay.
    "
    I'm quoting you because your opinion is the correct one!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5be09b084ef21
    deactivated-5be09b084ef21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the SP campaigns in COD and played a decent amount of the MP in COD4. When it came to MW2 I played a few hours of the MP and never touched it again because it was essentially the same game with different maps. I did enjoy it for a couple of hours but went through an accelerated fatigue curve with it as the same frustrations I had with COD4 set in really early.

My main frustration with it is that it's such a kill focused MP that trying to play any of the objective based modes becomes pointless as everyone just tends to go and do their own thing leaving you the sole fodder for campers.
    Also I've never really liked the instant respawns. There's something odd about not being punished for dying, die enough times in a row and you even get rewarded for it. I always thought that they should at least make the kill cam unskippable.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By delta_ass

No, I can't say I am.

This sorta shit gets to me.
    babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By babblinmule
    @Delta_Ass:  Thats about the point that I lost all faith in any future cod campaign - spent about 40 minutes on that god damn section.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I thought COD4 was amazing, I liked MW2 and WaW well enough, too. BLOPS, though, sucked balls in every possible way. They haven't brought anything new to the series (nothing significant anyway) in a few years and it got old very fast.

Part of the reason I love Battlefield so much is that with every new title you get a leap in graphics and a tonne of new mechanics and features. It keeps the series fresh.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By napalm
    @Winternet said: 

" Gotta say, COD4 is the most memorable for me. At the time, it was like nothing else on the market."

And that's why Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is the absolute peak of the Call Of Duty series. We'll never get another one like it again.
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jack268

CoD4 is really one of the best multiplayer FPS games in the world, especially for it's time. Copying the formula year in and year out however has made the CoD series very stale. They're still good for adrenaline rush online action occasionally, but the concept is the same as it was back in -07, and it's just not very fun any more. I think the games after CoD4 were worse balanced too, which certainly didn't help them.

And also, it's community is pure ass.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I've always preferred the gameplay and universe of the Halo series and most importantly the fact Halo actually has a decent amount of single player appeal.  But with so many FPS' being released over the past few years, I'm really just sick of the genre entirely.

I enjoyed Reach a lot but it'll be the last one I play for a long time..  yearly CoD updates just really don't appeal to me at all.
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By blueduck

I'm really baffled that there are people who think COD4 multiplayer played the same as the things that came after. MW2 and BLops were totally different and way way worse. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Claude

I lost interest after Call of Duty 2 when the franchise started to become more focused on multiplayer, so it lost me. I'm not a fan of online multiplayer shooters.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I have some reverence for it but I'm not really a fan.

Avatar image for lordruperteverton
    LordRupertEverton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked COD up until MW2. MW2 is the worst in my opinion, and i only dont like Black Cops is because its almost the same game. The 2nd and 4th are my favorite

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ben99
    @LordRupertEverton said:
    " I liked COD up until MW2. MW2 is the worst in my opinion, and i only dont like Black Cops is because its almost the same game. The 2nd and 4th are my favorite "
    may be because you just sucked at it ? When you reach a certain skill level where you could kill noobs and pros alike the adrenaline rush kicks in like you never experienced before .  I had the same horrible first impressions when I first played MW2 and Blops but that changed when I got the hangs of it . 

I bought a new ps3 with Mw2 and blops only , that's how far I got attached .
    jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jayjonesjunior
    @Ben99 said:

" I love COD games . In fact, I want a game every year . It's so addictive and fun like no other games I've played . It should be released regularly just like Madden , Fifa, NBA, NFS...etc . You could tell by now that I'm a fan of COD and I won't hate on others for not liking the series . 

"
    if you only play the game for the multiplayer why do you need a new game every year? that's insane.
    i'm a fan of CoD1, 2 and 4, and i can safely say that if you never bought any game past the fourth and you are still playing CoD4 online you haven't missed anything, multiplayer wise.

what can i say? i'm old school. i'm used to playing the same multiplayer games for at least half a decade.
    LOZZAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LOZZAT

They're pretty good. Getting gradually less interesting, but good. Well-made games where you shoot dudes in the face.

However I will be more interested in the Battlefield alternatives usually... especially this year!
    Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Vao

I like the series and played all of them, however Anymore theres noting really new, the menus are the same, For multiplayer I only really play if other friends are, and then its almost always more fun to jump into combat simulator with 2-3 friends and beat bots then deal with the assholes online. 

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By leebmx

I played the mulitplayer for about a week and had fun before I realised how shallow the experience was. Looking at the leaderboards it seemed all the people with highest number of kills also had very high deaths which indicates to me that they were just rushing our into the field, hoping to draw first and doing it enough over the course of the game to get away with such a basic tactic. 

I have just bought BF:BC and am interested to see if the multiplayer offers a more strategic experience.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By Marz

I actually started playing Call Of Duty when the first game came out for the PC and enjoyed that alot.  I never played COD2 or 3 and didn't actually buy Cod4 until 2 years ago.  So i'm not really invested into the series.  Guess i'm more of a battlefield type of person.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I really liked 2 and 4, but MW2 was really the breaking point for me. I didn't like anything about that game, especially how unbalanced the multiplayer was. I actually did end up buying BLOPS because it looked like they were addressing some of the issues I had with the multiplayer and because the singleplayer seemed much more interesting to me. I really enjoyed the singleplayer, but I still think the multiplayer is broken beyond repair at this point. Killstreaks cater too much to people who like to camp corners and really ruins the balance of the game.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By JJOR64

I enjoyed the single player in CoD 2 and 4.  Stopped playing them after 4.

Stubert73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Stubert73

I've enjoyed the series very much since COD4. The criticisms leveled against it are quite fair, but it scratches an itch for me somehow. I think the campaign mode has lagged in quality since 4, but multiplayer keeps me coming back. The one thing I find puzzling is how much better I do in BLOPs than MW2 multiplayer, though my guess is that MW2 is where all the hardcore kids are.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Sooty

Nope. The game is far too easy to play and to me doesn't feel competitive on consoles, it has ridiculous aim assist and the lag is horrible even in full green bar rooms, the hit registration is lousy as hell.

Call of Duty 4 was good on PC, this was before Acticunts obviously pressured to remove dedicated servers, ever since then they've been terrible, still CoD4 hardly felt like it took much skill, it was very spray and pray which is something I dislike, being a Ghost Recon (1 and Island Thunder) / Rainbow Six 3 player that is I'm used to it actually taking a degree of effort to line up a kill shot or control your weapon.

@Napalm said:

" @Winternet said: 

" Gotta say, COD4 is the most memorable for me. At the time, it was like nothing else on the market."

And that's why Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is the absolute peak of the Call Of Duty series. We'll never get another one like it again.
    "
    Wrong. United Offensive is the peak. I'm guessing you didn't play it. Shame.

@Ben99 said:
    " The perks  and killstreaks that debuted in COD 4 made the series what it is now "
    In other words "I like shiny things and the game giving me a cookie for killing someone with no regards to game blaance"

Killstreaks are ridiculous, yeah having just the 3 was OK but now there's far too many and they crop up far, far too often. Sorry kids but games don't need killstreaks to be good, that's why there's plenty of games that are years old that are still being played that surpass these current rehashed Call of Duty games.
    Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Laughing_Man said:
    The only thing I do not like about the online is the match making. I would love to play with people my skill level. Not with people who have the highest level and all the guns.  "
    I agree
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CaptainCody

The lack of innovation has caused me to not give a shit at this point, while I have bought all of them to play with my friends, I have now sold them all to play other games and the chances of me spending more money on the same game again are low at best.
    Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ben99
    @jayjonesjunior said:
    " @Ben99 said:

"
    if you only play the game for the multiplayer why do you need a new game every year? that's insane.i'm a fan of CoD1, 2 and 4, and i can safely say that if you never bought any game past the fourth and you are still playing CoD4 online you haven't missed anything, multiplayer wise.what can i say? i'm old school. i'm used to playing the same multiplayer games for at least half a decade. "
    every multiplayer of any previous games have been frequently hacked to the point where it's unplayable . The multiplayer of a new game holds it together before I get enough of it .
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By napalm
    @Ygg said:

" Wrong. United Offensive is the peak. "

No.
    World War II? Haha.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#39  Edited By beargirl1

i am. i have endless fun with any COD game paired with some good friends. it's starting to wear thin, but like wrestling games-- virtually any small changes can get me to purchase the latest entry. 

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it cause i'm a decent COD player, although, Black Ops seems a bit too generic for my liking.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By penguindust

I used to like it but I'm kind of tired of it.  Blame oversaturation by both Activision and the gaming industry as a whole.  Since everyone was chasing COD money, publishers pushed for clones that didn't do anything to advance the genre.  Every new modern set FPS was a COD clone and the original suffered as well.  I'd need to see a really compelling single-player campaign to get back on board, but the masses don't seem to want that.  They want more stuff to level up to in multiplayer.  I don't think the franchise is dying, but it's weaker than it has been in a long time.  Someone else could capitalize on this and (with the luck of proper timing) replace COD as it replaced Halo as it replaced CounterStrike as it replaced Quake 3, etc...

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By Winternet
    @Ygg: I have to disagree with you when you say United Offensive is the peak of the COD series. That is just wrong.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sooty
    @Napalm said:
    " @Ygg said:

No. World War II? Haha. "
    Console fanboy.
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By imsh_pl

I loved CoD 4, mainly because of its innovative - at the time - multiplayer ideas.

I hated the following 2 CoD games simply because they didn't bring enough beyond what CoD 4 has achieved.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By Commisar123

This is a hard question for me because I've been a fan of COD ever sense it debuted on the PC in 03 or 04 and while I enjoy many of the games there is a disturbing trend lately that hints at complaceny on sombodies part so while I guess I would say that I am a fan of the series it is tempered by my apprehension about its future releases

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By napalm
    @Ygg said:
    " @Napalm said:
    " @Ygg said:

No. World War II? Haha. "
    Console fanboy. "
    Since you have no point, you resort to insulting.

Stay classy!
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AlexW00d

I liked the first PS2 game but that is about it.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoy the single player in the COD series. I don't really care about the multiplayer. I don't find the small levels and quick kills all that fun, it doesn't feel satisfying.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Green_Incarnate

No I'm not. Everything about the multiplayer seems poorly designed. Here's a list of crap that annoy me:

• Huge hitboxes. They're noticeably larger than the character models. 
    • Every gun in the game kills you in basically a couple shots. Zero chance to kill someone once they've located you.
    • Radar makes the game even easier.
    • Kill Streaks. If you're doing well, you don't need free kills. It's incredibly cheap. I'm already being punished enough if my team members blow. I don't need jet aircraft to kill me upon spawn to figure that out.
    • Knife lunge. Everyone basically has the Halo 2 sword on spawn.
    As for the single player. It doesn't annoy me as much as the multiplayer, but it is incredibly linear and the first modern warfare had respawning enemies. That's all I really have to say about that.  

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50  Edited By Yanngc33

I used to be but it got old and moved on to fighting games

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.