Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

COD: Black Ops ending voted Best Video Game Ending of All Time

• 137 results
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#101  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Surveys like this always turn into a popularity contest, mostly among recent games. The solution? Ignore it. Pretend it didn't happen. Throw your PC screen out of the window if you must.

I'm pretty sure we can all agree that Stroker has the best ending ever.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#102  Edited By jimi

Popular video game wins popularity contest, more news at 11

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By jetsetwillie

i love these kind of polls.

the threads they cause are such a great opportunity for me to re enforce just how hardcore and great i am for having a 'better' opinion than these people that votes.

shame on them for not being as great or as hardcore as me.

my fav ending is from a bizarre 15 year old JRPG that nobody has ever heard of, so that makes me way more of a gamer then most people. imagine how great i feel

please everyone queue up to slap me on the back.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By sungahymn

@jetsetwillie said:

i love these kind of polls.

the threads they cause are such a great opportunity for me to re enforce just how hardcore and great i am for having a 'better' opinion than these people that votes.

shame on them for not being as great or as hardcore as me.

my fav ending is from a bizarre 15 year old JRPG that nobody has ever heard of, so that makes me way more of a gamer then most people. imagine how great i feel

please everyone queue up to slap me on the back.

Pretty sure they would slap you on the face.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#105  Edited By Shady

That poll is out of date. MW3 has the bestest ending.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@MattyFTM said:

Surveys like this always turn into a popularity contest, mostly among recent games. The solution? Ignore it. Pretend it didn't happen. Throw your PC screen out of the window if you must.

You butthole, I clicked on the link... why did you... I hate you.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#107  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

RAAAAAGGGGGGEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By cookiemonster
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for blastprocessing
    BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#109  Edited By BlastProcessing

@Jaytow: YES!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#110  Edited By JasonR86

@MattyFTM said:

It has the 'happiest' ending.

LitterAlley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By LitterAlley

The best ending to the campaign in Black Ops would have been... "Congratulations! You have now unlocked dedicated servers!"

ApeGantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By ApeGantz

I know this is the Guinness "World Records" but this just seems like an American thing. I do not believe gamers...no. I do not believe that this games ending out does everything that has come out so far. Nooo way man. Did they just ask gamers who primarly play FPS games or something? I'm sure no one on these forms voted!

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#114  Edited By kindgineer

How did Super Mario World not get that title with it's awesome jingle and re-introduction to every villain/friendly in the game? I mean, that's how I knew I missed a level back when I was a kid when I realized there were enemies in the credits roll I didn't recognize!

GenghisJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By GenghisJohn

My top 2 endings are Darksiders and Castlevania Lords of Shadow. Both those were excellent!

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By jetsetwillie

@ApeGantz said:

I know this is the Guinness "World Records" but this just seems like an American thing. I do not believe gamers...no. I do not believe that this games ending out does everything that has come out so far. Nooo way man. Did they just ask gamers who primarly play FPS games or something? I'm sure no one on these forms voted!

exactly, anyone on GB is way better than those CoD gamers.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#117  Edited By Ghostiet

There is Force Unleashed II on that fucking list. Let's stop talking about it.

I'm not even going to bother with listing examples of better endings. Just no. There's no point. Let's go home, guys.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#118  Edited By Marz

too many dude bros voting, skewed numbers in favor of COD :( even modern warfare 2 is #4

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#119  Edited By Hizang

I don't even..

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By NekuCTR

Ya, and Avatar is the highest grossing movie ever.

Popular opinion: Complete Bullshit

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By TomA

@llamaegg said:

I...I...what? This is quite possibly the most depressing thing I've read all day.

This.

But yeah this makes me sad for the world. godammit

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#122  Edited By monkeyking1969

@Demoskinos: The Red Dead ending was blatantly obvious but the impact of it still was with me for days afterwards. Amazing game.

But which ending do you mean? The father getting shot (the REAL ending in my mind) or the rather silly 'show down' the son has with an old man in Mexico?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#123  Edited By musubi

@MonkeyKing1969: The stuff with John Marston. The stuff with the son was just a clever way to let you keep exploring the world after the main campaign.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BO doesn't have anything on the HL2:E2 ending...

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#125  Edited By CosmicQueso

@ApeGantz said:

So yeah, CoD is the most popular game in the world. All of the world. Not just America. So... And in any case, it's a numbers game. The people that read enthusiast websites in anything aren't the ones that determine what's popular. No matter if it's film, games or music, the elitist enthusiast hipster d-bags will always complain that what's popular is garbage.

And if anyone on enthusiast websites voted, they'd vote for the most obscure, "hardcore" thing they could, just to show that they're cool. And a good portion of those people would vote for endings of games they haven't even finished.

Oh, and in case I forgot, take your nationalistic issues somewhere else. "An American thing"? What the hell are you even talking about. It was the #1 game across Europe last year as well. And Australia. And Canada. So what? What the hell does the country have to do with anything?

ApeGantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By ApeGantz
    @CosmicQueso. Relax man. I'm American myself. It's just hard to believe that this games ending out of the many many years of games, this was voted to be the best. All I want to know is were the people/ groups asked to vote randomized or was it taken from casual video gamers.

And a lot of people here disagree with it, does that make us hipster d-bags? Lol
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#127  Edited By big_jon

Halo: Reach had a better ending then Black Ops and those games came out in the same year.

As far as popular mainstream shooters go it blows me away that there is even a comparison here. Hell, Call of Duty 4 had a better ending then that game.

Also some I can think of off the top of my head.

• Briad
    • Silent hill shattered memories
    • Red dead Redemption
    • DeadSpace 2

But by the logic that these dumb asses are using every year that a Call of Duty game comes out it will have a newer better ending based on votes.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#128  Edited By Black_Rose

That list is so fucked up, Super Mario Galaxy? WHAT?

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#129  Edited By ReyGitano

Ha... funny. That's all I have to say about this really. Would be either funnier or more upsetting if it wasn't so obvious that something like this would happen.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Aus_azn

This can be summarised with two quotes from Sean "Day[9]" Plott:

"What hell the fuck?"

"Holy double-buttshit!"

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By John1912

Lies!!! No one has seen the ending to a CoD game, cuz no one plays the single player. Im pretty sure at some point you will enter a white room where the devs said thats good enough, and just stopped making the game.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#132  Edited By Little_Socrates

Just read this list again and there are multiple breaking points for me FAR more egregious than Call of Duty: Black Ops.

#3: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I know I bitch about that game in general, but seriously? The ending to Ocarina of Time barely exists. At this point, I assume people are counting that entire final dungeon, which is okay, but super-bizarre. Clearly this is really more of a popularity contest. But if you're a crazy Nintendo fan and this poll was conducted before Skyward Sword's release (very possible, as the most recent game on the list is Portal 2) this is probably the ending with the most story that the most people have seen. Pisses me off, but I can move on.

#8: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Okay, this is a personal one, but this is the point where I realize I can't really even trust the gaming public to know when they're being fed complete and utter crap. MGS4's 70-minute film ending is the second worst thing about MGS4, half for its didactic tone and half for its awful mistreatment of the rest of the franchise. If that game had ended with "Snake lived a good life", it'd be fine, but what happens after that is GAAAAARBAAAAAAGE and literally ruined Metal Gear Solid 4 AND Metal Gear Solid 2 for me. Forget ALL of you.

#11: Super Mario Brothers. WHAT!?!?!?!? Okay, clearly this isn't even a poll about endings anymore! There must be people who don't speak English simply voting for their favorite game. And Super Mario Brothers is easily one of the most popular games of all time, so that makes some sense. The fact that there are more people who can't read voting than people voting for Metal Gear Solid 3 is pretty awful, but whatever, I guess I wanna see if MGS3 shows up on this list at all.

#28: Sonic the Hedgehog. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?How are there so many people who managed to find this poll that clearly can't read who honestly believe that Sonic the Hedgehog is the best game ever? They're clearly not voting for the ending of this game, as it doesn't exist. Even if the player collects all the Chaos Emeralds, it's just Sonic standing next to a bunch of animals and pointing at the screen! How can there honestly be enough idiot Sonic fans to even allow this to chart? Not that Sonic isn't awesome and that all fans are stupid, but you'd have to be verbally challenged or unable to speak English to vote for Sonic in a best endings poll! This is blasphemous, especially considering Metal Gear Solid 3 is still not on this list yet. This is the point where I need to start punching things.

#38: Fallout 3. WHAT. THE. FUCK. No. The ending to Fallout 3 is infamously the WORST thing about Fallout 3. In fact, that game would probably handily be the best Western game of the year if it weren't for its goddamn shit shitty ending. And the people who voted for Fallout 3 can clearly fucking read or else they wouldn't play or like Fallout 3. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFuuuuuck. Video games are over. Jesus FUCKING Christ.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#133  Edited By project343

I finished BLOPs. And I couldn't recall the ending for the life of me. Surely a magnificent sign of a memorable ending...

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By InternetCrab

Kids these days. What was so awesome with BO's ending anyway?

Some deserving spots in there though, like Oblivion, Portal 2 had a fine ending, Shadows of the Colossus, Final Fantasy 7....

But where is Silent Hill 2, Zelda: Link to the Past, Deus Ex?

Meh...whatever. Shitty list.

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By GJSmitty

It was so great that I couldn't remember it until I looked at your spoiler warning...

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By laserbolts

@Little_Socrates said:

Just read this list again and there are multiple breaking points for me FAR more egregious than Call of Duty: Black Ops.

#3: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I know I bitch about that game in general, but seriously? The ending to Ocarina of Time barely exists. At this point, I assume people are counting that entire final dungeon, which is okay, but super-bizarre. Clearly this is really more of a popularity contest. But if you're a crazy Nintendo fan and this poll was conducted before Skyward Sword's release (very possible, as the most recent game on the list is Portal 2) this is probably the ending with the most story that the most people have seen. Pisses me off, but I can move on.

#8: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Okay, this is a personal one, but this is the point where I realize I can't really even trust the gaming public to know when they're being fed complete and utter crap. MGS4's 70-minute film ending is the second worst thing about MGS4, half for its didactic tone and half for its awful mistreatment of the rest of the franchise. If that game had ended with "Snake lived a good life", it'd be fine, but what happens after that is GAAAAARBAAAAAAGE and literally ruined Metal Gear Solid 4 AND Metal Gear Solid 2 for me. Forget ALL of you.

#11: Super Mario Brothers. WHAT!?!?!?!? Okay, clearly this isn't even a poll about endings anymore! There must be people who don't speak English simply voting for their favorite game. And Super Mario Brothers is easily one of the most popular games of all time, so that makes some sense. The fact that there are more people who can't read voting than people voting for Metal Gear Solid 3 is pretty awful, but whatever, I guess I wanna see if MGS3 shows up on this list at all.

#28: Sonic the Hedgehog. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?How are there so many people who managed to find this poll that clearly can't read who honestly believe that Sonic the Hedgehog is the best game ever? They're clearly not voting for the ending of this game, as it doesn't exist. Even if the player collects all the Chaos Emeralds, it's just Sonic standing next to a bunch of animals and pointing at the screen! How can there honestly be enough idiot Sonic fans to even allow this to chart? Not that Sonic isn't awesome and that all fans are stupid, but you'd have to be verbally challenged or unable to speak English to vote for Sonic in a best endings poll! This is blasphemous, especially considering Metal Gear Solid 3 is still not on this list yet. This is the point where I need to start punching things.

#38: Fallout 3. WHAT. THE. FUCK. No. The ending to Fallout 3 is infamously the WORST thing about Fallout 3. In fact, that game would probably handily be the best Western game of the year if it weren't for its goddamn shit shitty ending. And the people who voted for Fallout 3 can clearly fucking read or else they wouldn't play or like Fallout 3. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFuuuuuck. Video games are over. Jesus FUCKING Christ.

I agree with all of your points except for MGS 3. I thought that ending was dog shit as well.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By monkeyking1969

You know what...it didn't have the best ending...but I have seen FAR worse. There are games with terrible endings and CoD BLOPs is not terrible it is just predictable and rather average. But I think it winning is an 'mark' against the rest of development community. Most people never see the endings of a game, because some stupid level or boss makes completing the game unpalatable. With 25+ million copies sold and it not being a very hard game I'm guessing a million people saw the ending. A million gamers seeing an ending to a game is a DAMN miracle...that why it won....more people saw that ending then saw the ending of any other game that came out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.