Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Josh Olin thinks gamers don't appreciate creativity from devs

• 75 results
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Pibo47

He brings up a good point, but the game he helped make wasnt exactly "ground breaking". But, this is probly cause the twits he mentioned would bitch if anything was changed.

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By danimal_furry
    @danimal_furry said:
    "@ryanwho said:
    " @danimal_furry said:
    " I don't see anything wrong with the general message he is sending. If a series stagnates, people complain. If a franchise tries to freshen up with new and creative ideas, people complain. He wasn't addressing the gameplay issues in his comment. He was merely responding to the criticism against creativity in the gaming industry, and making a correct point that without this creativity games would all be a generic and boring mess. Sometimes the "new ideas" don't work, but they have to try something fresh every now and then.     "
    Its just, Treyarch have never been creative. Let a creative dev say this. Treyarch just let IW try new things then they copy and expand on that. Unless they think their zombie mode was innovative, lol. They're part of the problem, then they complain about a problem they propagate. Its silly. Let Platinum say this, they earned the right. "
    I gotcha. Good point. "

The only response to that argument is that Treyarch doesn't try to be creative because they know they will be criticized. It's not a good excuse, but they know they will pull in some dollars if they play the standards instead of being creative. I do see such an attitude filling a niche in the industry. Perhaps they are just really good at producing generic gaming on command, as it is easier, cheaper, and draws in quick money.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By natetodamax

I think it's funny seeing someone from Treyarch talk about creativity.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By Funzzo
    @Three0neFive said:

"Hey guys, how do you like Call of Rehash 32? What's that? FUCK YOU GUYS YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT CREATIVITY YOU UNCULTURED SWINE WE RULE "

LOL!!!!!   True. 

I played COD Black Ops for about 10 mins and then shut it off because it fukkin sucked and that I had played it 3 or 4 times in the past (COD 4,waw,MW2). I wonder what the next COD game will be? Mabey it will be a WW2 shooter. That would be creative and original right? 

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By babblinmule

He's right, but coming from him its a little unwarranted since Treyarch is hardly at the forefront of innovation.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By ch13696

To all you people saying that he's right. 

How is he right? Most of his complaints are coming from angry gamers. Those angry gamers that I've seen bashing just Black Ops makes a very good point on what they're saying. First off, the game is not innovative at all. You're seeing the same kind of action sequences you see in past Call of Duties. It's also been proven that you can play the first level on a hard difficulty without shooting your gun.  

Second, there have been major about the problems with the PC and PS3 version of Black Ops. Now, I bought Black Ops on the PC maybe a week after release and when I started playing, there was horrible stuttering and lag issues. Now, I didn't complain then because I'm a patient man. I did follow the Black Ops forums on the Call of Duty website and on Steam. Pretty much everyone has been having this same problem. A lot of people were voicing their problems, but most of them were saying "be patient, they will fix it". Exactly what I was doing. Come 2 months later and a couple of tiny patches down the road and still no problems fixed. People are still experiencing major stuttering. 

Now, I can understand the CM has a point if it's people bashing on the game without even playing it, but apparently that's not the case. The people that our voicing their opinions angrily are the people that are experiencing the major problems with the game. And that's why I agree with them 100%.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#57  Edited By Video_Game_King

Actually, he's totally right that gamers are pessimistic dicks for the sake of being pessimistic dicks. It doesn't help that several of our greatest personalities focus on the negative as parts of their careers (Yahtzee and the Angry Video Game Nerd, even if the latter actually admits that he likes a game, from time to time), and even people who don't focus on the negative, like Alex Navarro or Jeff Gerstmann, are mainly remembered for the negative.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By ryanwho
    @Pie said:

" @ryanwho: But isn't he saying that the reason they don't innovate is because people would get all up in arms about it? "

He rationalizing why they never try to innovate. But its all hypothetical because they've never innovated. They wanna complain about the state of gaming after they try something new and it fails, that's different. This is them trying to rationalize their status quo like its out of their hands. They should be thanking god every night that IW deflated and gave them a promotion. Instead they're bitching about how they never innovate, cus if they did gamers wouldn't like it. Like, they're taking a shit on their audience because they're successful. Just be successful, shut up, and let devs who actually have unique ideas try them out. Don't act like you've got a bunch of brilliant ideas that the peasants wouldn't understand. Cus they don't. Their entire success comes from building on what other people start. They don't make innovative games because they don't have innovative ideas, the system being as it is is just a convenient cover for the fact that they have not a unique thought in their brain. They watch popular movies and play popular games, and composite. They wouldn't know a single thing about the struggles of a dev that actually tries something new.
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By time allen

"  It’s a creative industry – the most creative form of entertainment in existence." 

rofl, ok josh. whatever you say. 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By iam3green

he is right but it's just there are problems that people complain about. they aren't to creative. treyarch just remakes what infinity ward made. call of duty 4 -> world at war -> modern warfare 2 -> black ops. they just expanded what infinity ward's ideas are. i do think that black ops was good. 

they suck with the PC support. the port was bad and there isn't much support on fixing things.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By animateria

Whether or not he's right he's really not in a position to say that as a guy from Treyarch. 

You know? The guys who always trailed behind IW using their tech? 

Talk about stagnant.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Jimbo

Umm, who exactly are these "too many" developers who are allegedly trying new things and then getting burned for it?  Treyarch sure as shit isn't one of them.

I see plenty of people (and I am one of them) ragging on the industry for making the same shit over and over again, but I rarely see people rip developers for being too creative or innovative.  I'm more forgiving than most about games that are rough around the edges, but even when people do rip these so-called creative games, it's not because they're creative or innovative, it's because often the developer treats this creativity as an excuse for the rest of the game being borderline broken.  It's not enough to just innovate in a vacuum, you do still actually have to build a good game around that innovation in order to be successful.

coryrx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By coryrx8

So... how exactly would he know? His company hasn't ever produced anything truly creative, and they haven't produced an original IP since 2000. So how would he know that gamers don't appreciate creativity? 

Gamers may be a bit negative at times (alright... often) but he's not exactly qualified to say that we don't appreciate creativity. I've never seen a gamer rip on a developer for trying something new. Unfortunately we say one thing and immediately vote the other way with our dollars (otherwise Black Ops would have been a massive flop) but he isn't commenting on buying patterns.
    spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#64  Edited By spankingaddict

I appreciate creative design in video games, just not his games :)

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By Binman88
    @Fjordson said:
    " @Enigma777 said:
    " He's right... "
    This. Regardless of the creative merits of the Call of Duty franchise, he speaks the truth. "
    I also agree with this.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ryanwho
    @Jimbo said:
    " Umm, who exactly are these "too many" developers who are allegedly trying new things and then getting burned for it?  Treyarch sure as shit isn't one of them.  I see plenty of people (and I am one of them) ragging on the industry for making the same shit over and over again, but I rarely see people rip developers for being too creative or innovative.  I'm more forgiving than most about games that are rough around the edges, but even when people do rip these so-called creative games, it's not because they're creative or innovative, it's because often the developer treats this creativity as an excuse for the rest of the game being borderline broken.  It's not enough to just innovate in a vacuum, you do still actually have to build a good game around that innovation in order to be successful. "
    Maybe he's thinking of Platinum. You know, the dev that's being allowed to do what it wants even if the game underperforms a bit? I guess they think not selling 5 million copies is "getting burned" cus it sure as hell isn't about job security. The only devs to dissapear in the last couple years made some bad eggs. They made bad games and went away. People who made good unique games that underperformed (Mirror's Edge, let's say) didn't lose their jobs. I'm inclined to ask this fool for specifics but I feel like he was vague for a reason.
    TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By TwilitEnd656

What he says rings true to up to a point, but it's just so hard not to laugh when it's coming from him.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68  Edited By EuanDewar
    @zameer said:
    "It'll be a bit of a tl;dr for most of you, so here's the relevant paragraph"

I felt offended at first but then quickly realised you are right.
    Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Clinkz

I certainly don't. My friends and I regularly denounce popular games as shit once we get bored of them regardless of their creative quality. If I'm not having fun, I fail to recognize the creative aspect.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By amir90

Now that is an ironic statement :D

Also, did he forgot that gaming industry is starting to think more about money then anything else, or has i never changed?
    dun- dun, DUN!

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#71  Edited By ShinjiEx

I just want a fucking COD4 game with new guns & maps is that so hard to do!

No it's not!

marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#72  Edited By marlow83

I like how people on this thread seem to confuse creativity and technical issues. Good job everybody. 
    Anyway, I think Mr. Olin speaks the truth

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#73  Edited By bacongames
    @supermike6 said:

" He is absolutely right. Everyone is too focused on shitting on everything that doesn't go perfectly right and don't take the time to appreciate all the brilliant games we get to play every month. It seems people prefer to complain about games than play them. It's kind of ridiculous.  Also, everyone's funny quips about Treyarch are exactly proving his point.... "

Couldn't have said it better.

It's not a question of gamers preferring the same old thing and/or ignoring creative darlings.  It's all about having a negative view of the gaming world that stopped helping and now is denying a good time to everyone.  It's a question of gamers who don't know how good they've got it from a lack of perspective.  

His comments within the context of Treyarch, honestly it's not his fault the games are made they way they are and even if it was, the fact that he said it doesn't detract from how true it is.  Sure there's nothing wrong with healthy criticism but I think he's alluding to everything else that goes above and beyond the norm and dwells in cynicism land.

I only slightly disagree because that's a very homogeneous view of gamers which is not the case at all but overall those who dwell on the internet both vocally or in text form need to lighten up a bit.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#74  Edited By zombie2011

Just because they make COD games doesn't mean they have to re-skin IW games. They could make changes to the COD franchise, but instead they just wait for IW to push the franchise forward then just copy them the next year.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#75  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @raiz265 said:

" @Doctorchimp said:

" He's right, well generally speaking...  BUT FUCKING TREYARCH SHOULDN'T OPEN THEIR FUCKING MOUTHS "
    You should quit writing on those forums maybe.  "Treyarch hate" is so stupid... On the other hand people then praise Infinity Ward and MW2 like it's baby jesus or something. "
    You should start not being a douchebag and let me know when I "praise" modern warfare 2.

Until then....how about we let the company that pushed out "one of the best selling games" of all time take a little criticism for originality.

Or does the fact that he "makes games" (community manager, he literally does what mods on here do for free) so fucking incredible to you that you'd let him go to your house and shit in your cereal? The dude literally got tired of people going "man, ummm this is kinda feeling stale already" 

And precedes to say "GAMERS ARE RUINING THE INDUSTRY, EVEN THOUGH THEY ALL BOUGHT MY GAME" fuck that dude...
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Andorski

Polish > Creativity.  I never understood why uniqueness makes a game's jank more excusable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.