Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

mouse and keyboards for consoles, yay or nay?

invadernick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By invadernick

I saw some mouse controllers at the store today for console shooters, and they seem to be very popular. Do any of you use one? What are your thoughts? 

Personally I think it is a bit of an unfair advantage for players who don't have the hardware. Part of the reason why I bought a console was so I didn't have to worry about buying new hardware and everyone would be more or less on the same ground. If you wanted to play using a mouse, shouldn't you be playing the game on PC?

There's even a keyboard and mouse converter:
     http://www.penguinunited.com/Playstation+3/Eagle+Eye+Converter+for+PlayStation+3.html

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti

They will not be able to properly translate stick to mouse movement. Buttons yes.
    Reason is that the analog stick is an speed vector type of movement, your view starts to move proportionately to how far you deviate your stick, this increases the speed at wich the view changes. Mouse is a 1:1 control tool, not a speed vector like stick. It can almost instantaneously move from point A to B. A 100% converter would have to basically hack each game to allow proper actual mouse feel. Otherwise it is just very fast acceleration from point A to B. You would be playing with a gimped mouse.

This is my educated guess from basic knowledge of how controllers and mice function, I have not tested the device, but I would be very very surprised if it can do a proper stick to mouse conversion without making it feel crippled. I might also be full of shit, I'm not afraid to admit to be wrong.

Also something like BLOPS is already designed for a controller scheme from ground up down to basic gameplay.
    This games controls feel bad compared to more PC focused shooters when played with K+M
    You would be bastardizing the controls for a probably negative overall effect.
    Highly doubt the unfair advantage angle, it just might make you not suck because you are not used to a console controller in the first place.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3  Edited By Sdoots

I've heard from multiple people that those converters have quite a bit of input lag, and just a general slowness to them. So if anything, you'd probably be at a disadvantage using one. 

Now, if it worked perfectly? I still doubt an advantage would be present. Console shooters tend to have some sort of auto aim that you can't disable (which is annoying as hell), where you'll get a noticeable "stick" on enemies when aiming at them. It's bothersome enough with a controller, but I'd imagine using a more precise method of control would make that "stick" much more annoying.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Seppli

Nay. I prefer the dual analog sticks over KB&M, albeit admittedly KB&M is quicker and more precise. Unnaturally so.

Also, as a Battlefield player first and foremost, the gamepad is just way superior when it comes to vehicle controls.

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bobdaman18
    @Tennmuerti:
    I've never really noticed any problems with i switch between keyboard and mouse and gamepad on my pc on games like just cause 2, bad company 2, borderlands, etc when compared to something like CS:S.  Then again im not really hardcore into shooters (i use a crappy ms mouse) so maybe i just have an unrefined palate for that type of stuff.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Biohazardous said:
    " I've heard from multiple people that those converters have quite a bit of input lag, and just a general slowness to them. So if anything, you'd probably be at a disadvantage using one.   "
    Pretty much what I suspected.

@Bobdaman18 said:
    " @Tennmuerti: I've never really noticed any problems with i switch between keyboard and mouse and gamepad on my pc on games like just cause 2, bad company 2, borderlands, etc when compared to something like CS:S.  Then again im not really hardcore into shooters (i use a crappy ms mouse) so maybe i just have an unrefined palate for that type of stuff. "
    That's a very different situation.
    The support for such controls is already in the game for one. So there is no conversion going on, you are simply controlling your view with the analog stick. Your analog stick movement works exactly as it would on a console in this situation.
    Secondly in single player you can easily play any of those games with a gamepad

Are you truly playing BFBC2 with a game bad in multiplayer on PC? If so how a the results? Props if you can make it work against m+k people.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @invadernick said:
    "  Part of the reason why I bought a console was so I didn't have to worry about buying new hardware and everyone would be more or less on the same ground.  "
    I don't think that applies anymore.  New games on the consoles suffer from framerate issues and/or screen tearing (i.e., Assassin's Creed Brotherhood on both PS3 and XBOX360 has some screen tearing).  Also you did buy new hardware (a console).  Buying a similarly priced graphics card would save you from annoying visual glitches (screen tearing) and would let you save money on the games themselves -- PC versions are always cheaper.
    coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By coaxmetal
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    Assassin's Creed Brotherhood on both PS3 and XBOX360 has some screen tearing).  Also you did buy new hardware (a console).  Buying a similarly priced graphics card would save you from annoying visual glitches (screen tearing) and would let you save money on the games themselves -eci- PC versions are always cheaper. "
    Zat so? well, this is off topic, but that cements my decision to wait until the PC version for Brotherhood is released instead of picking it up for my PS3, I can't stand tearing.
    tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tranquilchaos

Nay.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By salad10203

Does anyone else agree with me that console fps is actually more hardcore because it is harder to use a controller?/

Jikla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jikla
    @salad10203:
    People also die faster on the console version of black ops. And I guess that's because of the "hardcore" controllers.
    Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Feanor
    @salad10203: no, because you have aim assit.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It would be great, it would get such a pc gamers like myself more interested in console game if we are given the option.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Diamond
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
     @invadernick said:
    Part of the reason why I bought a console was so I didn't have to worry about buying new hardware and everyone would be more or less on the same ground.  "
    I don't think that applies anymore.  New games on the consoles suffer from framerate issues and/or screen tearing (i.e., Assassin's Creed Brotherhood on both PS3 and XBOX360 has some screen tearing).  Also you did buy new hardware (a console).  Buying a similarly priced graphics card would save you from annoying visual glitches (screen tearing) and would let you save money on the games themselves -- PC versions are always cheaper. "
    Of course it still applies.  If a game has a dodgy framerate, everyone has that dodgy framerate on a console.  If your PC can't keep up in a game and someone else gets a better framerate, you have a disadvantage.

PC hardware is always more expensive, and not every PC game is less expensive.  I bought Need for Speed Hot Pursuit on 360 for $10 cheaper than the PC version was being sold for.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Riboflavin said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer said:
    Assassin's Creed Brotherhood on both PS3 and XBOX360 has some screen tearing).  Also you did buy new hardware (a console).  Buying a similarly priced graphics card would save you from annoying visual glitches (screen tearing) and would let you save money on the games themselves -eci- PC versions are always cheaper. "
    Zat so? well, this is off topic, but that cements my decision to wait until the PC version for Brotherhood is released instead of picking it up for my PS3, I can't stand tearing. "
    The XBox version supposedly has "less" screen tearing than the ps3 version, but it still has some. 

"  The good news here is that both  versions never dipped below 30 FPS, and their average frame rate percentages were almost identical. Unfortunately,  the same can’t be said about the screen tearing. Both versions had quite a bit of screen tearing (as seen in our analysis video) and it even carried over into cut scenes." 

http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=24367 

@Diamond said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer said:
     @invadernick said:
    Part of the reason why I bought a console was so I didn't have to worry about buying new hardware and everyone would be more or less on the same ground.  "
    I don't think that applies anymore.  New games on the consoles suffer from framerate issues and/or screen tearing (i.e., Assassin's Creed Brotherhood on both PS3 and XBOX360 has some screen tearing).  Also you did buy new hardware (a console).  Buying a similarly priced graphics card would save you from annoying visual glitches (screen tearing) and would let you save money on the games themselves -- PC versions are always cheaper. "
    Of course it still applies.  If a game has a dodgy framerate, everyone has that dodgy framerate on a console.  If your PC can't keep up in a game and someone else gets a better framerate, you have a disadvantage.  PC hardware is always more expensive, and not every PC game is less expensive.  I bought Need for Speed Hot Pursuit on 360 for $10 cheaper than the PC version was being sold for. "
    You're right about the "even playing field."   If it's not great on one system it's equivalently not so great on the other copies of the system.
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Seppli said:
    "Also, as a Battlefield player first and foremost, the gamepad is just way superior when it comes to vehicle controls. "
    loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Biohazardous said:
    " I've heard from multiple people that those converters have quite a bit of input lag, and just a general slowness to them. So if anything, you'd probably be at a disadvantage using one.  Now, if it worked perfectly? I still doubt an advantage would be present. Console shooters tend to have some sort of auto aim that you can't disable (which is annoying as hell), where you'll get a noticeable "stick" on enemies when aiming at them. It's bothersome enough with a controller, but I'd imagine using a more precise method of control would make that "stick" much more annoying. "
    What this man said.

tl;dr: Analog sticks are less precise than laser mice, but that isn't advantage with any sort of console autoaim.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jmrwacko
    @salad10203 said:
    " Does anyone else agree with me that console fps is actually more hardcore because it is harder to use a controller?/ "
    I'm far too hardcore to agree with you.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By FreakAche

Doesn't really seem like a good idea. Console shooters tend to give you that little, almost imperceptible bit of autoaim, that I think would just feel awkward with a mouse and keyboard.

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bobdaman18
    @Tennmuerti:
    Nah, only multiplayer fps i played with a gamepad was borderlands, and that doesn't really count.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By meteora

Only if the game requires the use of a mouse and keyboard; or that the two are used for stuff like typing and web browsing, sure.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By Seppli
    @Three0neFive said:
    " @Seppli said:
    "Also, as a Battlefield player first and foremost, the gamepad is just way superior when it comes to vehicle controls. "
    loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool "
    Want to see you fly a chopper as well with just KB&M. Or a tank. Or a jeep. Or an ATV. Frankly, any vehicle willl control better on a gamepad than on the KB&M interface. Even if one takes the possibiliy of additional equipment like flightsticks into the equation, it's awkward to say the least to swith from KB&M to a joystick and back again everytime you jump in a vehicle.

Since most everybody on consoles play on a gamepad, the competitve edge of the KB&M setup doesn't matter at all. Vehicles controlling worse on KB&M does though.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By nintendoeats
    @jmrwacko said:
    " @salad10203 said:
    " Does anyone else agree with me that console fps is actually more hardcore because it is harder to use a controller?/ "
    I'm far too hardcore to agree with you. "
    Hardcore players don't want this shit getting their way. The closer connection between your skills and the score, the better.
    Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ocean_H
    @invadernick said:

" I saw some mouse controllers at the store today for console shooters, and they seem to be very popular. Do any of you use one? What are your thoughts?   Personally I think it is a bit of an unfair advantage for players who don't have the hardware. Part of the reason why I bought a console was so I didn't have to worry about buying new hardware and everyone would be more or less on the same ground. If you wanted to play using a mouse, shouldn't you be playing the game on PC?   There's even a keyboard and mouse converter: http://www.penguinunited.com/Playstation+3/Eagle+Eye+Converter+for+PlayStation+3.html "

PS3 does support in-game keyboard and mouse. Unreal Tournament 3 on PS3 has in-game keyboard and mouse support. Other developers are just too lazy to implement it in their games.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By shiftymagician
    @Biohazardous said:
    " I've heard from multiple people that those converters have quite a bit of input lag, and just a general slowness to them. So if anything, you'd probably be at a disadvantage using one.  Now, if it worked perfectly? I still doubt an advantage would be present. Console shooters tend to have some sort of auto aim that you can't disable (which is annoying as hell), where you'll get a noticeable "stick" on enemies when aiming at them. It's bothersome enough with a controller, but I'd imagine using a more precise method of control would make that "stick" much more annoying. "
    God.  The fact that auto-aim to that degree is required to keep shooters on consoles competitive always keeps me away from ever playing multiplayer shooters on anything but the PC.  Thankfully, I always rather play games that work better on a controller regardless, like racing games.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Buy a PC..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.