Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

New COD? No way, never, nope...wait that looks pretty cool.

mussbus999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Edited By mussbus999

When Call of Duty: Black Ops was first announced, I was ready to throw my MW2 game out the window (Sometimes, I still want to). I wanted nothing to do with COD. I have experienced the MW2 that no one likes. Hackers, cheaters, and just plain cheapness. But, enough of the negativity. The brand new BO (heh BO) multiplayer trailer is really interesting. Have a looksie if you haven't yet.  

Ahhhhh. So refreshing. It seems like it is shaping up to be a nice change of pace for the COD franchise. The currency system, unique wager matches, character customization (emblem creator seems neat), theater mode. I'm sure I've missed some, but all of these just reassure the fact that Treyarch is making some big changes. Wishful thinking: No Noobtube.  

Hopefully, on November, we can enjoy a COD game worthy of the name. 
    mussbus999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mussbus999

When Call of Duty: Black Ops was first announced, I was ready to throw my MW2 game out the window (Sometimes, I still want to). I wanted nothing to do with COD. I have experienced the MW2 that no one likes. Hackers, cheaters, and just plain cheapness. But, enough of the negativity. The brand new BO (heh BO) multiplayer trailer is really interesting. Have a looksie if you haven't yet.  

Ahhhhh. So refreshing. It seems like it is shaping up to be a nice change of pace for the COD franchise. The currency system, unique wager matches, character customization (emblem creator seems neat), theater mode. I'm sure I've missed some, but all of these just reassure the fact that Treyarch is making some big changes. Wishful thinking: No Noobtube.  

Hopefully, on November, we can enjoy a COD game worthy of the name. 
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Indeed, MW2 tricked me with it's promise and all it offered me was a month's worth of nerve racking nightmares.

But one little thing in Black Ops could save the experience for me. The added ''Combat Training'' or Skirmish as I'd like to call it, will let people enjoy what multiplayer is about without getting annoyed by douchebags.

Well, that and all the great guns and general smooth feel to it. I admit, it has sucked me in again. I just pray it's not a trap.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

I'm also glad that it appears weapons actually have recoil again.

OverLord00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By OverLord00

I have high hopes also, I am just glad that dedicated servers are coming back to the PC version.  I would enjoy MW2 more with a solid connection, but its not game breaking just personal preference I guess.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By one_2nd

Same thing happened to me. I'll probably pick it up eventually.

mussbus999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mussbus999

Oh my embed didn't work one sec

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By cap123
    @mussbus999:  go to insert video, rather than insert html?

and yes, the new features look great!
    mussbus999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mussbus999
    @cap123: @cap123: @cap123: @cap123: thanks, been awhile since I've posted lol.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Ryax

yeah i was pretty adamant about not getting this when i heard about it. but then they came out with details and it just made me want it. and i really hope its good because if i waste another 60 on a shitty COD game im gonna be pissed

Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ComradeKritstov

lolwut explosive RC car?! (54 seconds in)

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Raymayne
    ...Are you serious? Refreshing? Change of pace? It's exactly the same fucking engine and gameplay from the past 3 years just on new maps with a few different (and more ridiculous) weapons and killstreaks :| As well as a couple of features stolen from Halo, and bot matches :| 

None of these things are 'big changes' because a 'big change' would be something that actually has an effect on how the game plays. At the end of the day, sure you can change how your guy looks and give him a silly little smiley face reticle on his gun, but when you get into a match and actually play the fucking game, it's going to feel exactly the same way it did in 2007, and that is the biggest reason why I'll most likely be avoiding this game like the plague.
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SSully
    @Raymayne said:
    " ...Are you serious? Refreshing? Change of pace? It's exactly the same fucking engine and gameplay from the past 3 years just on new maps with a few different (and more ridiculous) weapons and killstreaks :| As well as a couple of features stolen from Halo, and bot matches :| 

None of these things are 'big changes' because a 'big change' would be something that actually has an effect on how the game plays. At the end of the day, sure you can change how your guy looks and give him a silly little smiley face reticle on his gun, but when you get into a match and actually play the fucking game, it's going to feel exactly the same way it did in 2007, and that is the biggest reason why I'll most likely be avoiding this game like the plague. "
    I see it the same way, so many stolen features from games like halo, socom confrontation, killzone 2, and counter strike. Cool for people who've never seen them before, but it looks so stupid when you have played the games the features originated from. 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CL60
    @Raymayne said:
    " ...Are you serious? Refreshing? Change of pace? It's exactly the same fucking engine and gameplay from the past 3 years just on new maps with a few different (and more ridiculous) weapons and killstreaks :| As well as a couple of features stolen from Halo, and bot matches :| 

None of these things are 'big changes' because a 'big change' would be something that actually has an effect on how the game plays. At the end of the day, sure you can change how your guy looks and give him a silly little smiley face reticle on his gun, but when you get into a match and actually play the fucking game, it's going to feel exactly the same way it did in 2007, and that is the biggest reason why I'll most likely be avoiding this game like the plague. "
    What? There are lots of big changes.
    TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TotalEklypse

nope. sorry but it is the same crap. 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I had fun with MW2 and I'm very excited for Black Ops.  The new game modes, in particular, will make multiplayer much more enjoyable for me.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CaptainObvious

This actually looks really good. I'm excited.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It's going  to take a lot to make me want this game, and they are nowhere near yet. It looks too similar. This is the problem with a game a year, they are always trying to make it look really different but under the skin it's exactly the same. It killed the Tony Hawk franchise, it killed the Guitar Hero franchise and it will kill the Call of Duty franchise.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bionicicide

Same old same old.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Pie

That's what I thought too at first but then I went and watched some normal unedited straight team death matches and realized that it still plays like call of duty and lost interest again

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    @Raymayne said:

Of course it's going to be similar, they aren't going to completely change the game, then it wouldn't be Call of Duty anymore.
    brando711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By brando711

i am pumped for this game but i hope that the under barrel shotgun will ACTUALLY open doors cause i got excited for that in modern warfare 2 but it wasnt there, dont betray me like iw did treyarch
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bionicicide
    @brando711 said:
    " i am pumped for this game but i hope that the under barrel shotgun will ACTUALLY open doors cause i got excited for that in modern warfare 2 but it wasnt there, dont betray me like iw did treyarch "
    No one's fault but yours for that expectation.
    joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I love it how like a year ago people were bashing treyarch and now they are like: "Oh treyarch make the best games!!!"

hunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hunt
    @JoeRiccadonna said:
    " I love it how like a year ago people were bashing treyarch and now they are like: "Oh treyarch make the best games!!!" "
    I never once bashed Treyarch after World at War. When they made CoD3, it was pretty hard to see their talent, but after WaW I found them to be fairly competent. At least the hate wasn't unwarranted. 

I feel that this game still has a lot to prove. MW2 turned a lot of CoD players off (including myself) and I still see a lot of potential imbalances just by watching the trailer. If you couple that with wager matches, I see a lot more ragequitting happening than ever before. Bot matches are the only saving grace in that game for me right now. If those allow ranking up, customization, and are enjoyable on all difficulties then I'll pick this up.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Afroman269

Ehh MW 2 is still stuck in my mind that I don't want to play another COD for quite some time.

MrKart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By MrKart

@SSully said:

" @Raymayne said:

I see it the same way, so many stolen features from games like halo, socom confrontation, killzone 2, and counter strike. Cool for people who've never seen them before, but it looks so stupid when you have played the games the features originated from.  "
    This just in, all games are like that. We live in an age now where the industry can't revolutionize a genre because they've all been done to death. Every game is a rip-off of every other game in some way, and then evolves it one step further. Halo did everything Counter-Strike did but streamlined it, SOCOM did everything Halo did but made it more squad-based, etc. Each game adds in its own unique flairs and personality to make them stand out a little bit, but at the end of the day, you're ALWAYS going to be playing pretty much the same game. It's deciding whether or not there's enough uniqueness that will ultimately decide if it's worth a purchase. I would agree that so far, I don't think there is a WHOLE lot of new content changes, but I do like some of the directions they are going in. Being able to face AI opponents helps to eliminate the frustration of playing campers (hopefully). The new money-earning system allows your weapon choices and fates to be more in your own hands as opposed to random. And some of the new gameplay types encourage different ways to play. Definitely steps in the right direction, in my mind.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Nah not interested.
    1.Its treyarch. Treyarch=shit. 
    2.I'm getting sick of COD.
    3.IW the actual good developer isn't making any more COD.
    4.I'm boycotting all Activision games.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Haha, boycotting...sigh...Jesus Christ.

vanjamrgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By vanjamrgan
    @PeasantAbuse said:
    " @Raymayne said:

Of course it's going to be similar, they aren't going to completely change the game, then it wouldn't be Call of Duty anymore. "
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By audiosnag
    @Raymayne said:

And this is a negative...why exactly?
    I don't need a new graphics engine every game...they're using one they know and can get the most out of an it still looks great. You introduce a new engine you introduce new issues. And if you make make massive changes to the way the game plays then....well it's not a CoD game so that the hell is the point? There's nothing wrong with the way CoD style combat feels.
    If you don't wanna play another CoD or it's not your type of game then fine but to bitch because it plays similar to the previous game is pants on head retarded. I've never understood that argument.
    MW2 was a great game that was hampered by bugs. glitchers and a complete lack of testing (or so it seemed). If they can fix all that crap and add all this new stuff they're talking about well then sign me the hell up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.