Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

I created a "Giantbombing" clan for fun.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi
    https://elite.callofduty.com/connect/clan/view/218367 

That is the link to the clan page.   Join up if you want.   This isn' t a serious clan just a way for fellow GB members to find each other on Elite if you would so want to.    I've been using the [Bomb]  clan tag in game too.     I hope you join up and see you on the battlefield.  =)
    Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By musubi
    @Masha2932: I know there is but  I'm just trying to get people to use the community features of Elite.  As thats part of the point of elite.
    JSwan13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By JSwan13

Sounds cool, but I am not sure how to join. I made an account and went to the clan page but couldn't figure it out.

kirklebum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kirklebum

The link is broken, is that Elite being lame or is the clan gone? I see there's a Giantbomb group on there already.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Branthog

Gaming really needs to come up with a different term than "clan". I always feel uncomfortable using that. The only two clans I know of are of the Cavebear and the Klu Klux and both are icky.

kirklebum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kirklebum

@Branthog: There's nothing wrong with the term clan. I just means a group that shares some kind of bond be it religious, ideological or biological. What other word would work better? Just because the Klan bogarted the word doesn't mean it's negative as long as you spell it properly.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By strainedeyes

Jeff made a clan already, giantbomb, join it or else.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Hizang

@Masha2932: Now that you posted that link I'm going to have to update that table again..

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Branthog
    @Kirklebum said:

@Branthog: There's nothing wrong with the term clan. I just means a group that shares some kind of bond be it religious, ideological or biological. What other word would work better? Just because the Klan bogarted the word doesn't mean it's negative as long as you spell it properly.

There's nothing wrong with the words "snigger" or "niggling" or "niggardly", either, but I avoid them because they have shitty connotations with them (kind of like the word "lynching" does, too). And . . . really . . . clan is a strange word for us to be using these days. Not because of any connotations, but just because it's not otherwise used often in modern times (except in the negative examples I mentioned).

In fairness, I'm picking and choosing when proper language makes me uncomfortable, too. There are other words that I would defend the use of, because there is nothing wrong with the words or their use, despite other people's improper connotations. My particular nit-pick with "clan" is just that I never understood why of all the possible words we chose the most awkward sounding one for gaming.   

I've always wondered how we even arrived at the choice of this word in gaming, long ago. There are so many more sensible alternatives that are more appropriate for what a gaming "clan" represents. For example - TEAM. You know, as in a group of people playing competitively on the same side. They don't have basketball clans, afterall. Or . . . maybe they should. That might be kind of cool.

Anyway, alternatives?: team, group, guild, gang, club, squad, order. Probably plenty of others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Also, has everyone also added the "giantbomb" group tag to themselves in COD Elite? There were only about sixteen people when I added it to myself last week. I'm not entirely sure what the point of the group tag is, yet, but . . . it's there.
    kirklebum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kirklebum

@Branthog: I'm sure you can find a negative usage of almost any word if you look hard enough. It's clan, not Klan. The KKK uses crosses, should Christianity change its iconography? Should I stop calling marijuana pot because Pol Pot massacred thousands? Should I stop stalling because Stalin was a dick?

Also, I'm not sure why gaming settled on the using clan but I'd be interested in knowing.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Branthog: I agree with this. The only time I really think "clan" is really applicable in terms of gaming is the Starcraft scene (particularly in Korea). Those dudes pretty much live together in bizarro Starcraft dojos.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.