Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

Modern Warfare 3 Joins the Steamworks Bandwagon

• 77 results
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By CL60

People will seriously get this over BF3 now that it's on Steam and BF3 isn't, and that being the major contributing factor over which one you get? ....sigh.

Protonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Protonguy

Not a fan of CoD but happy it's going the steamworks route (as are many other releases now). Power of the PC with an awesome games platform baby.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Meowshi
    @HarlequinRiot said:
    The ideological battle between this and BF3 is pretty funny. BC3 is the game that "gamers" want, but EA is abandoning the things gamer's love. MW3, on the other hand, is the game they used to hate but it's adding the things people want (dedicated servers) while not abandoning things like Steam.    Makes me want to see Steam charge for their service, just to see the reaction lol
    Wait, what.  "Gamers" don't want MW3?  Who exactly are the millions of people buying it then?  Film geeks?  Athletes?  School teachers?  Jersey Guidos?  Japanese Yakuza? 
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By Skald

Eh, meh.

first2die

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By first2die

@GreggD said:

@jasondesante said:

MODERN WARFARE 2 USED STEAMWORKS thats why Black Ops uses Steamworksand Modern Warfare 3 uses Steamworks. The intelligence of the original Infinity Ward guys

WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

Jasondesante is correct, MW2 did use steamworks. So the steamworks announcement for MW3 is no surprise. The announcement of dedicated servers is what has changed here.

Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By Ping5000

Like a lot of youse been sayin'; MW2 and Black Ops had Steamworks, so not surprising that MW3 will use it too.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By GreggD

@first2die said:

@GreggD said:

@jasondesante said:

MODERN WARFARE 2 USED STEAMWORKS thats why Black Ops uses Steamworksand Modern Warfare 3 uses Steamworks. The intelligence of the original Infinity Ward guys

Jasondesante is correct, MW2 did use steamworks. So the steamworks announcement for MW3 is no surprise. The announcement of dedicated servers is what has changed here.

I'm well aware of that. However, his last sentence makes no goddamned sense.

koshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By koshka

Well... that's cool. Still not going to buy it though. I'll still be buying BF3. As much as I don't want Origin running in the background, that's literally how much I've been committed to the Battlefield series since BF2. Sorry Activision, you just gotta actually make a game a want.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Steam works is awesome.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By clstirens
    @Shuborno said:

@AlexW00d said:

Didn't MW2 have Steamworks? How is this news?

Companies haven't always shown loyalty to a PC platform service (eg. GFWL games jumping ship to Steamworks).

I think it's just noteworthy that one of the world's biggest franchises from the biggest publisher is sticking with Steamworks as EA moves away from Steam altogether.

This. 

Also, this makes me extremely frustrated. Not because I don't want MW3 on steam. Oh no, I love that it is because it's much better for the fans and for steam users. It's just downright convenient. 

I'm frustrated because I paid off BF3 in February and every time EA comes up with some new news for the game, I want it less and I become more upset with what I will have to deal with to enjoy it. Whereas with MW3, a series I'm kinda done with by now, has all the right bells and whistles and fun stuff that I would LOVE Bf3 to have half of. 

:\
    Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

I'm getting both MW3 and Battlefield 3, but it's good to know that I'll be able to pre-load this game on Steam and bask in its glorious achievements while Battlefield 3 will be limited to Origin on the PC. I really don't get what EA thinks that will accomplish.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#62  Edited By meptron

With EA trying to make Battlefield 3 seem the less-evil alternative to MW3, it sure doesn't do them any favours to be on the outs with Steam right now. If Activision can play ball, why can't EA?

jasondesante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#63  Edited By jasondesante
    @GreggD said:

@first2die said:

@GreggD said:

@jasondesante said:

I'm well aware of that. However, his last sentence makes no goddamned sense.

the original infinity ward guys are really smart.

even way back when modern warfare 2 came out, they though it was best to use steamworks on PC.  2 years ago, the higher ups at infinity ward decided that.  They are smarter than most other developers because they were some of the first to do it.
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Vexxan

Smart move, this game is truly going to sell ridiculous amounts.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@AlexW00d said:

Didn't MW2 have Steamworks? How is this news?

It's not news, it's a PR job for Activision. Well payed Pat, well payed.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#66  Edited By MachoFantastico

Little interest in Modern Warfare 3 this year, but that's a super smart move by Activision. Knowing that EA and Valve are still fighting and the chances of Battlefield 3 hitting Steam are slim.

So why not take advantage of the situation and release our game (with full support) on argueably a dominate platform for PC.

maccoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By maccoy

i hope they will upload the savegames to steamworks aswell....
     that part sucks with mowarf

SoundChaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By SoundChaser

I can't believe I'm saying this, but at this point, I'm considering buiyng MW3 and not buying BF3. Or at least not buying BF3 until significantly after the release. Goddammit EA, I was basically sold on your game but you fucked up.

EpicReflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By EpicReflex

People who are refusing to buy BF3 because of Origins are hilarious to me - what silly, silly people you are.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Oh EA, you dun goofed up, how do you expect to kill CoD when you ain't even gonna release the "CoD killer" on steam.

Thuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Thuggish

While I'm glad that MW3 will be using Steamworks... it feels like everyone forgets that MW2 and CoD:Blops also use Steamworks; it's not a surprise announcement by any means, but certainly a welcome confirmation :) Also of note, CoD:Blops had dedicated server support as well.

What I would be more curious to hear is if MW3 will allow you to play WITH your friends or even switch teams. CoD:Blops did not allow you to choose a team in a ranked server, and un-ranked servers didn't allow you to earn experience or CoD points.

G0rd0nFr33m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#72  Edited By G0rd0nFr33m4n
    @Toms115 said:
    really starting to dislike pc games being forcefully attached to systems like steamworks or gfwl. i love steam just as much as the next guy, but i don't want a retail boxed game to essentially be an activation code.

I disagree. Maybe you don't remember but before Steam or GFWL PC games were hit and miss when it came to online experiences.  

One game would work fine, while another games would essentially have no multiplayer alive after 2 months due to bad interface/multiplayer setup.  Atleast when you use a pre-defined service, you know what kind of multiplayer service you'll get in the game before you buy it, allowing you to make a choice. 
    Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#73  Edited By Vextroid

@G0rd0nFr33m4n said:

@Toms115 said:
    really starting to dislike pc games being forcefully attached to systems like steamworks or gfwl. i love steam just as much as the next guy, but i don't want a retail boxed game to essentially be an activation code.
    I disagree. Maybe you don't remember but before Steam or GFWL PC games were hit and miss when it came to online experiences. One game would work fine, while another games would essentially have no multiplayer alive after 2 months due to bad interface/multiplayer setup. Atleast when you use a pre-defined service, you know what kind of multiplayer service you'll get in the game before you buy it, allowing you to make a choice.

It's only annoying when it downloads the game completely ignoring the disk. I had to re-install Saints Row 2 PC and Steam d-loaded all 11gigs rather then using the disk >:(

Black Ops has full SteamWorks so it's no surprise this will too.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#74  Edited By yukoasho

I don't know how this is news. 

all the post CoD4 games have had Steamworks authentication.  Really, the only thing that seems different is the achievements, and that's only really for the achievement whores. 

No0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By No0ne

rofl Im not buying a crap game just cause activision in their effort to compete with a much better game integrate steamworks, its the game I am buying not the bloody digital service.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By valrog
    m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By m0rdr3d

Well played, Activision.  This is tempting me not to buy BF3 and just give MW3 a try instead.  Eff all this Origin nonsense.  Steam achievements are nice too.
    MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#78  Edited By MeatSim

Positive PR move by Activision? shocker.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.