Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 30, 2009

Join Ray McCall and his brother Thomas on a quest for gold, lust, and greed.

Rootin' Tootin' Wild West Shootin': Call of Juarez' Multiplayer

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    Six-shooters ain't half bad, as FPS weapons go.
    Ubisoft's new Wild West shooter sequel Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood has a surprisingly complex online multiplayer mode. It seems to take several cues from the online mode in last year's Far Cry 2, with multiple player classes, several contextual game types, and a persistent experience and upgrade system that carries from one match to the next.

Most of Bound in Blood's multiplayer action is team-based, with players splitting into groups of lawmen and outlaws. The most elaborate and engaging game type for my money is the Wild West Legends mode. It's a multi-stage assault-style mode that moves from one location to the next, with the successful completion of one objective triggering each subsequent leg of the assault.

In one level set in a town, the bandits had to first break into a bank, then move upstairs to dynamite open the safe and grab a bunch of money, then fight their way to a stable across town to steal some horses and flee the town. Another level out in the wilderness had some lawmen attempting to shut down an outlaw hideout by assaulting a series of buildings like a weapons cache and the requisite old mill. This mode has a good attack-and-defend back-and-forth thing going on that ought to get pretty heated when two skilled teams are involved.

The objective-based mode should be good fun with two skilled teams.
    There's quite a few playable classes here (13 in total) that utilize an array of Wild West weaponry. The various classes come equipped with various combinations of six-shooters, single-shot rifles, sawed-off shotguns, dynamite, and other 19th-century implements of death. One Native American character rolls around only with a bow and arrow, which takes a while to refire and has a slow-moving projectile; the trade-off is that the arrow is lethal every time. You wouldn't expect Wild West weapons to be that much fun to use in a multiplayer shooter--at least, I didn't--but Bound in Blood's core action is actually pretty satisfying, in the context of the post-Call of Duty 4 shooter landscape.

The experience system comes in with an upgrade system that lets you boost each class's health and speed by cashing in points you've earned during matches. Each player builds up a "bounty" rating based on their performance; the deadlier they are, the higher the bounty on their head, and the more experience you earn for killing them. In ranked matches, your experience and upgrades carry over from match to match, so there's a bit of a carrot-on-a-stick thing going on here.

Bound in Blood's multiplayer isn't going to blow anyone's mind who's been weaned on more multiplayer-focused shooters, but if it's coupled with a strong single-player campaign, it ought to make for a solid one-half of this package. We'll be taking a look at that single-player next week, so stay tuned.

Ubisoft released a new trailer for the game this week, so take a look at that while we're on the subject.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
    Ubisoft's new Wild West shooter sequel Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood has a surprisingly complex online multiplayer mode. It seems to take several cues from the online mode in last year's Far Cry 2, with multiple player classes, several contextual game types, and a persistent experience and upgrade system that carries from one match to the next.

Most of Bound in Blood's multiplayer action is team-based, with players splitting into groups of lawmen and outlaws. The most elaborate and engaging game type for my money is the Wild West Legends mode. It's a multi-stage assault-style mode that moves from one location to the next, with the successful completion of one objective triggering each subsequent leg of the assault.

In one level set in a town, the bandits had to first break into a bank, then move upstairs to dynamite open the safe and grab a bunch of money, then fight their way to a stable across town to steal some horses and flee the town. Another level out in the wilderness had some lawmen attempting to shut down an outlaw hideout by assaulting a series of buildings like a weapons cache and the requisite old mill. This mode has a good attack-and-defend back-and-forth thing going on that ought to get pretty heated when two skilled teams are involved.

There's quite a few playable classes here (13 in total) that utilize an array of Wild West weaponry. The various classes come equipped with various combinations of six-shooters, single-shot rifles, sawed-off shotguns, dynamite, and other 19th-century implements of death. One Native American character rolls around only with a bow and arrow, which takes a while to refire and has a slow-moving projectile; the trade-off is that the arrow is lethal every time. You wouldn't expect Wild West weapons to be that much fun to use in a multiplayer shooter--at least, I didn't--but Bound in Blood's core action is actually pretty satisfying, in the context of the post-Call of Duty 4 shooter landscape.

The experience system comes in with an upgrade system that lets you boost each class's health and speed by cashing in points you've earned during matches. Each player builds up a "bounty" rating based on their performance; the deadlier they are, the higher the bounty on their head, and the more experience you earn for killing them. In ranked matches, your experience and upgrades carry over from match to match, so there's a bit of a carrot-on-a-stick thing going on here.

Bound in Blood's multiplayer isn't going to blow anyone's mind who's been weaned on more multiplayer-focused shooters, but if it's coupled with a strong single-player campaign, it ought to make for a solid one-half of this package. We'll be taking a look at that single-player next week, so stay tuned.

Ubisoft released a new trailer for the game this week, so take a look at that while we're on the subject.

N3onThr33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By N3onThr33

Hurray!

ANDYx0WNEDxU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ANDYx0WNEDxU

didnt play the first, gonna check this one out tho

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24

This game is shaping up to be surprisingly good. Still, I can't beat the fact that this game's multiplayer is cool (at least in concept), but it will probably be dead 4-6 months from now. But, that really happens to all games without the words COD, Halo or Battlefield. Still, I am interested in this.

PuppyKisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By PuppyKisses

meh

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By giyanks22

Looks okay...

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By natetodamax

Hated the first game, and the multiplayer was dead. It's unlikely this game will be any different.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TwoOneFive

hmm, the moment you mentioned far cry 2 i started getting worried. that online barely intrigued me for more than a week. 

ps. dude i fucking know who sings this song i just cant put my finger on it. he's this kinda scrawny young dude. i was watching a show about him the other day too, he was playing western music in jamaica and they were totally diggin it. 
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#9  Edited By ImperiousRix

I'm pretty excited for this.  Despite a slightly dated feel, I thought the fire game was solid and very underrated.
    This one looks to be improving on each element ten-fold; presentation, eliminating the frustrating stealth elements, putting ample focus on multiplayer.
    Definitely gonna give it a long look once it comes out.

Noremakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Noremakk

I'm pretty excited; let's hope this turns out well!

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#11  Edited By JackiJinx

The bible better still be a weapon.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Gizmo

The main dude looks like Natko from Killzone 2.

Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
    vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By vibratingdonkey

The multiplayer sounds way more involved than I expected. Then again I didn't expect there to be any, but still.

I'm cautiously interested in this game. Only played the demo of the first one, it felt sort of underdeveloped with most of the focus being put on the presentation, but the western setting really did things for it. The priest character was fucking badass.

Whight_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Whight_Knight

Looks like it'll be a decent game.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Media_Master

I wonder if they'll show a flooded west...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.