Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 06, 2003

The third Castlevania installment for the Game Boy Advance, bringing the tale of Castlevania to the 21st century and putting players in the shoes of Soma Cruz, a seemingly-normal guy who has the power to absorb souls of the castle's demons.

Aria of Sorrow

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

Edited By ahoodedfigure

I've played through what the status screen tells me is a little over 50 percent of the map now.  There are still plenty of mysteries, plenty of souls to steal, and I have to say after a slow start I'm damn happy with Aria of Sorrow.  What I think really works is that the equipment system and the soul system are separate, allowing for a lot of different combinations of equipment.  Yes, please!

I DID run into a sequence breaker in the Clock Tower area which was surprisingly easy that wound up trapping me, forcing a reset.  Other than that, it doesn't seem to mind when I go exploring in places I probably shouldn't be; like any good nonlinear sequence it'll punish me for going out of order by making the encounters tougher, but I also get rewarded well if I can tough it out.  Nice.  

Now that I bought a particularly powerful sword I'm basically chucking most of what I find, but I still have room for a misc. item and armor, as well as all the different souls (favorite soul so far is the lightning doll.  Now that's proper lightning!).  

I still feel like I'll probably have to look the game up when I'm done to figure out a few things, but I don't mind too much.  I still feel like Circle of the Moon managed a consistent horror tone better, but the variety of enemies and gameplay in Aria feels more densely packed, promising some replays in the future.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I've played through what the status screen tells me is a little over 50 percent of the map now.  There are still plenty of mysteries, plenty of souls to steal, and I have to say after a slow start I'm damn happy with Aria of Sorrow.  What I think really works is that the equipment system and the soul system are separate, allowing for a lot of different combinations of equipment.  Yes, please!

I DID run into a sequence breaker in the Clock Tower area which was surprisingly easy that wound up trapping me, forcing a reset.  Other than that, it doesn't seem to mind when I go exploring in places I probably shouldn't be; like any good nonlinear sequence it'll punish me for going out of order by making the encounters tougher, but I also get rewarded well if I can tough it out.  Nice.  

Now that I bought a particularly powerful sword I'm basically chucking most of what I find, but I still have room for a misc. item and armor, as well as all the different souls (favorite soul so far is the lightning doll.  Now that's proper lightning!).  

I still feel like I'll probably have to look the game up when I'm done to figure out a few things, but I don't mind too much.  I still feel like Circle of the Moon managed a consistent horror tone better, but the variety of enemies and gameplay in Aria feels more densely packed, promising some replays in the future.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

I loved the game too. So much so in fact that I found every soul and got the Chaos Ring! It's pretty awesome. I have yet to try the sequel, I'm looking for it in stores now.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#3  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I really got into the beginning of this game, but unfortunately, my DS's shoulder buttons broke not long after I picked it up.  Still, a fantastic game from what I saw of it.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @xyzygy:  It's good to know that you CAN get all the souls without trading.  Hard to get them without grinding sometimes, the chance is so small.

@Sparky_Buzzsaw: One of my big problems right now is controller related too.  Basically my Gameboy Micro thing is so small I get like hand cramps and difficulty using the shoulder buttons.  I'm also afraid the thing will slip out of my hands one day, since it's shaped like a bar of soap and about as slick.  So far the only major problem was that there was some schmutz on the inside of the cart, to where Aria didn't boot up properly, but some NES-style contact clearing was all it needed.
    ChernobylCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By ChernobylCow

I have Dawn of Sorrow for my DS.  It's a pretty neat game but for some reason these series never really click for me.  The wandering just doesn't have the same appeal to me as it does in Fallout 3 for some reason.  I guess I just like digging in trash cans for bullets.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @ChernobylCow:  I love post-apocalyptic dumpster diving, myself.  I guess I'm a fan of gothic horror, that's a big thing, and the later Castlevania games that I've played have fun mechanics and cool powers to try out (perhaps too many ones that aren't that useful, but still). 
    Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

#7  Edited By Eder

Awesome game, played both Sorrow games and loved them.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Emilio
    @ahoodedfigure:  
    Sometimes I wish there was a device like the GameBoy Micro but larger.
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By buzz_clik

Along with Order of Ecclesia and Castlevania II, Aria of Sorrow is one of the few Castlevania games I've not played. I'm sure I will at some point, and although your blog post has got me quite keen to hunt the title down, I know as soon as I do I'll fall into Phase One of The Castlevania Cycle all over again. Dammit, Konami.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Emilio: You mean the same shape but more human sized, or are you trying to make my head explode?

@buzz_clik: I haven't played too many myself, but Aria's got some pretty cool rewards for exploration.  I really feel like I'm rewarded for my curiosity, which always a plus for me in a game like this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.