Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 20, 1997

Dracula's castle has risen from the mist and the Belmont heir is missing! The open-ended gameplay mixed with RPG mechanics in this installment of Castlevania platformers set the template for later games in the series (coining the term "Metroidvania").

Is there a reason to go for the Inverted Castle?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Playing Lords of Shadow 2 awakened my love for Castlevania, and I've recently played through my two formative experiences with the series (Castlevania and Castlevania 3). However that wasn't enough, and so I decided to buy and play Symphony of the Night.

I got through the first castle just fine. Racking up EXP and clinging to Holy Water for dear life (good to know stunlocking bosses still works in SOTN!), but now I'm about a third of the way through the inverted castle and the game has gradually sucked all of my will to continue on. I'm wondering if it's worth it at all. Gear and loot grinding does nothing for me, so I'm hoping there's a reason to continue playing besides that.

It's weird to me. I actually liked the first castle quite a bit, and I don't mind that the enemies are more difficult or do greater damage. What is bothering me though is the fact that the castle is upside down. Some areas seem to be designed for that, but others look like a shitty romhack. Is the final encounter with (what I'm assuming will be) Dracula worth the headache this has turned into?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bocam

Do you want to see the real ending of the game? If yes, then go for the Inverted Castle

DannyHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DannyHibiki

If you don't you only get to play through half the game. I really liked playing through the inverted castle, but if you aren't having fun don't force yourself I guess.

I personally never had to grind at all for anything whenever I've played either. Not sure how you got through Castlevania 1 and 3 yet are finding this difficult.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

there are 4 endings in Symphony of the Night, not activating the inverted castle is one of those endings.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

It's the Inverted Castle. That's reason enough.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

axlvandamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say if you're having fun and wanna keep playing, then play the inverted castle. If not, then just watch the ending on youtube.

bmehlers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I played through SOTN last year for the first time, and was surprised when I suddenly beat the game and it went to the title screen. I said "I thought there was an inverted castle or something", then was like whatever and moved on to another game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

You must, you just need to. I prefer the music to the normal castle more, but inverted has some cool stuff and really fun bosses.

Do it, then soul steal everything.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Aside from being the same map technically. Putting it upside down changes more than you might think, and it is mostly designed well to do so. On top of that every room has had their items and enemy/boss encounters changed and the music is switched out. So yeah I'd say it's worth it fpr the new content. But then again, if you aren't enjoying the game, I guess not? It's a personal favorite of mine so that's a little sad to me. :C

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

˙unɟ s,ʇı 'ɥɐǝʎ

i2v2nr20i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dracula encounter is pretty cool, but the best part of the inverted castle is Galamoth. Also Schmoos.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I played the game for the first time this past weekend and did the inverted castle. I also felt like it being upside down was not well designed in a couple spots. It also takes away from the exploration aspect when you know what every room is going to be like and all the paths. I found it rather difficult at first so I was reloading a lot. I eventually found myself finding the path of least resistance. I never grinded for gear or experience or money. There is no plot reason why you should finish it. It's barely got a plot at all and what plot it does have is terrible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.