Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Cervantes de Leon

Character » appears in 13 games

Cervantes is a dual wielding Spaniard swordsman from the SoulCalibur series, an undead pirate who seeks to regain Soul Edge for its unlimited power.

Personal downfall of a once fondly remembered character.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MysteriousBob

Sonic is the most obvious one for me but everyone already can guess why. So I won't go into details. 

I feel Cervantes was one of the best final (sub-final) bosses in fighting game history. His moves just oozed with confidence and Namco nailed the idea of a possessed pirate (given that its a 1996 fighting game). I'm not going to claim that he was revolutionary or anything- he was just a cool character. When looking back at him just rememer that this is from the mid 90s- so take his presence with a grain of salt.

But the series after that obviously had Nightmare replace him as the main antagonist (Inferno- for the record- is fucking garbage and was probably designed in about an hour). Nightmare was alight, but he was just a brute in comparison to Cervantes. Meanwhile Cervantes just became more and more of stereotypical pirate like something out of a damn Disney film. He also screamed randomly which was unintentionally funny. Bad voice acting didn't help either.  "NOOOO MERRRRCEEE" He got progressively worse from there. I stopped caring about the franchise with the release of IV which might as well have been a Star Wars game.
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By Atlas

Never been one of my favourite Soul Calibur characters. I like his style, but he's not someone I ever really played all that much - much more of a Mitsurugi-Taki-Seong Mina guy.

To reiterate, Soul Calibur IV is my favourite current-gen fighting game, and it's incredibly easy to forget that the Star Wars characters even exist.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Atlas said:

" To reiterate, Soul Calibur IV is my favourite current-gen fighting game, and it's incredibly easy to forget that the Star Wars characters even exist. "

Its not just the Star Wars characters. Its that the gameplay is extremely tired now, stat boosts with customisable gear is bloody absurd and the modes were badly put together. They also simplified many of the move lists for no reason and mangled the story.  Oh and only introducing one new character in a major fighting game installment is insulting.

Hell, even the mediocre SCIII shone in comparison. 

Shame a once excellent series has to turn crappy.
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SpiralStairs

inb4 sonic.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By jacksukeru

Having a hard time thinking of one (besides the obvious Sonic). Samus might be a candidate, but I shouldn't say that since I haven't even played the game yet. 

Hm, maybe the character design in Castlevania Judgement is another possibility, though in that case it was more me not liking their redesigns rather than their characterisations. Characterisations that, for the most part, were either non-existant or poor executed in the first place. 

But hey, thinking about it, the characters from my favorite Castlevania game (Dracula's Curse) is my answer. Sypha and Grant, apart from their awful redesigns, went from basically non-characters that were fun to play, to characters I disliked.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mutha3

Sonic.

EDIT: Fuck!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

Cervantes was a fuckin' legend in the original Soul Blade. He really stood out amongst the roster - more than the fact that he had two weapons which my Uncle claimed was unfair. I never played the original SC but by SC2 he was just another fancy dressed fighter who had little bearing on the steadily decreasing plot. I really liked Soul Blade and the storylines and the alternate endings and the interactive cutscenes. They were really good for its time and unique for a fighting game. Then the SC series just turned into another button masher with 4 second endings. 

As for my own characters going through a downfall: Leon S Kennedy... predictable ole me ;P 

But really, he was a likeable guy in Resident Evil 2. Rookie cop who inexperienced with fire fights let alone against the shambling undead. He was naive, too trusting, gullible...but then he went and joined the Government who went on and gave him a whole new personality to go with his new skill set. I don't mind him being more confident, but there was no need to turn him into a bleedin' Marvel Hero complete with stupid one liners. Also I prefer Paul Haddad greatly over Paul Mercer with Leon's VO's . 

Oh yeah and then there's Degeneration where he yet again was pulled under a steam roller to iron out his personality even more so. Now he's just a terribly bland and boring character who now only has his fighting skills to show his character.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Meowayne

No Caption Provided

turned into

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

turned into

No Caption Provided

turned into

and then there was this.

and Pyramid Head, who used to be an enigmatic antagonist and has since been turned into meaningless fanservice.

No Caption Provided

And lastly, Enix's deconstruction of what used to be a compelling figure...

... into some Otaku's wet dream.

What do we learn? The only logical evolution for video game characters is to approximate stereotypes and to rev up the cool, the sexy and the badass. Yawn.
    mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mylifeforAiur
    Garrett, he's not exhausted or lame by any means, he's just not around enough. I couldn't be more excited for the new Thief game ;)
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @SpiralStairs said:

" inb4 sonic. "

That was in the introductory post. How's that even happen? As for my vote, how about Dan Forden? He went from this glorious peak:

to this gimmicky low:

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " @Atlas said:

" To reiterate, Soul Calibur IV is my favourite current-gen fighting game, and it's incredibly easy to forget that the Star Wars characters even exist. "

Its not just the Star Wars characters. Its that the gameplay is extremely tired now, stat boosts with customisable gear is bloody absurd and the modes were badly put together. They also simplified many of the move lists for no reason and mangled the story.  Oh and only introducing one new character in a major fighting game installment is insulting. Hell, even the mediocre SCIII shone in comparison.  Shame a once excellent series has to turn crappy. "
    You have no idea what you are talking about.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By ryanwho

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I dunno. Seeing Mario ice-skate like Brian Boitano doesn't help his case.

Habast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Habast

A lot of older characters from my youngin' days.  

The biggest one that jumps out at me would be Tails, even more than Sonic. I always played as Tails when me and my brother played the old Sonics on 2player so I always loved the character. In the new games he's horrible, though. 

Also, I like SC II, III, and IV. It's hard for to decide which is my favorite, as there are things I think each game did best.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.