Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Champions Online

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

Champions Online is a superhero action-MMORPG for PC. It was developed by Cryptic Studios, the makers of City of Heroes.

Champions Online: A glowing Endorsement

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By cloneslayer

I'm not going to take about the downloading of the client or the hell I went through trying to patch this game with the worst patcher in history.

The actual game it self surpassed all my expectations. It is everything that you want from a superhero MMO, mainly, you can make whatever you want. For those of you who have used the deep character creator is City of Heroes, just times that by about a hundred and thats what you get. As soon as I saw the thousands upon thousands of options, hundreds of ideas popped into my head. Practically anything you want to make, you can make it. From humans in tights, to robots, to werewolves, the tools are there for you to get it done. Then we have to powers.

The powers are in simple archtypes, ranging from elemental powers, like fire and ice, to physical powers, like swords and fists, to mind powers, like telekinisis. The best part is you don't have to stick to one arch type and can pick moves from each section to make a charecter that you want. A ninja with two swords and fire powers, OK. A robot with gadgets and martial arts power, Anything you want, you got. 

The actual game play it self is great. Its not like WoW where you run up and stand there. As far as I have seen there is no turns, and no cooldown times on move. Basically you do moves that use energy, then you use moves that regain that energy, usually your basic attacks. Then your juggling the two to constantly use up and deplete your energy. The missions are what you expect from an MMO, collect, kill, explore. Nothing to see here. There is also some Warhammer-esque community quest, though I don't think they work the same way. 

(Note, this paragrah proabably contains false info as I really don't know how this works all that well).
    Intead of exipment, you get expibable abilitys. They fit into offence, defence and suport (?). Three slots in each one, primary and secondary. They give you basic stat bonuses such at more strength or more damage resist. 

On thing that they did vastly better that City of Heroes is give you a movement power right away. Right after the first tutorial area you get it, and boy are there options. There is something like twelve of them from flight to super jump to tunneling and everything in between. Some of the options in there seem to be present just so you can fit it to the theme of you charecter (flight, jet boots, fire flight, ect. all make you fly with slight tweeks). 

Champions Onlines does it right. Giving you the opitons to make what you want and gives you fast paced action (for a MMO) to fight against diversed enemies. And makes you feel like a badass powerful super hero from the start. If Cryptic can fix some of the server and networking issues I can see a great game that if it can draw in a good player base, can survive more than just a couple of years even in the wake of WoW.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cloneslayer

I'm not going to take about the downloading of the client or the hell I went through trying to patch this game with the worst patcher in history.

The actual game it self surpassed all my expectations. It is everything that you want from a superhero MMO, mainly, you can make whatever you want. For those of you who have used the deep character creator is City of Heroes, just times that by about a hundred and thats what you get. As soon as I saw the thousands upon thousands of options, hundreds of ideas popped into my head. Practically anything you want to make, you can make it. From humans in tights, to robots, to werewolves, the tools are there for you to get it done. Then we have to powers.

The powers are in simple archtypes, ranging from elemental powers, like fire and ice, to physical powers, like swords and fists, to mind powers, like telekinisis. The best part is you don't have to stick to one arch type and can pick moves from each section to make a charecter that you want. A ninja with two swords and fire powers, OK. A robot with gadgets and martial arts power, Anything you want, you got. 

The actual game play it self is great. Its not like WoW where you run up and stand there. As far as I have seen there is no turns, and no cooldown times on move. Basically you do moves that use energy, then you use moves that regain that energy, usually your basic attacks. Then your juggling the two to constantly use up and deplete your energy. The missions are what you expect from an MMO, collect, kill, explore. Nothing to see here. There is also some Warhammer-esque community quest, though I don't think they work the same way. 

(Note, this paragrah proabably contains false info as I really don't know how this works all that well).
    Intead of exipment, you get expibable abilitys. They fit into offence, defence and suport (?). Three slots in each one, primary and secondary. They give you basic stat bonuses such at more strength or more damage resist. 

On thing that they did vastly better that City of Heroes is give you a movement power right away. Right after the first tutorial area you get it, and boy are there options. There is something like twelve of them from flight to super jump to tunneling and everything in between. Some of the options in there seem to be present just so you can fit it to the theme of you charecter (flight, jet boots, fire flight, ect. all make you fly with slight tweeks). 

Champions Onlines does it right. Giving you the opitons to make what you want and gives you fast paced action (for a MMO) to fight against diversed enemies. And makes you feel like a badass powerful super hero from the start. If Cryptic can fix some of the server and networking issues I can see a great game that if it can draw in a good player base, can survive more than just a couple of years even in the wake of WoW.

karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By karneh

City of Heroes character creator is probably the best of all mmos, if not games. So if what you say is true, then I may be shitting building materials, in a good way.

Can't wait till I get out of line.

ivanetc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ivanetc

yeah i dunno i've download the supposed 'new version' tons of times today, installed and always had the old version that didn't patch or launch.

i've uninstalled all times, deleted all .zips of the game and the Cryptic Studios folder, but no matter how many times i download i get the same problem.

what i have noticed though is that in all versions of the game i downloaded, the actual .exe file says it was last updated (or created) on the 17th, when it was still broken, and that probably is why it doesn't work. i can't do much there if the supposed new and fixed download from fileplanet still has the old broken .exe

would appreciate some insight or corrections if it turns out i'm being a total idiot haha

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This games looks fucking great, but I'll wait till it comes out and for reviews to play it 
    I don't have a Fileplanet account 

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Ivanetc: The released a fix on their site, go on there and patch it.
    If you get log in problems go onto your account on their site, "My account" or something and add key, then readd the beta key and go again.

It's a very very good game, but it's too simple, and my archer seems super over powered. I can take out groups of people the same level as me from mid air.
    ivanetc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ivanetc
    @Ineedaname: yeah i tried the patching thing but it didn't do a thing

i guess i'll patch this new version i'm about to DL, thanks for the tip anyway bro
    karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By karneh

The damn download keeps resetting me back to the lines

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.