Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono Trigger

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 11, 1995

Take control of the lovable but silent protagonist Crono in this time-spanning collaborative effort from Squaresoft's "Dream Team." Chrono Trigger follows the exploits of Crono as he and his friends attempt to save the world from a planet-devouring alien creature.

The Giant Bomb Chrono Trigger Endurance Run Epilogue.

• 63 results
    Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Gregomasta

Now that it's over what are your thoughts? Did you love it? Did you Hate it? Did you watch it religiously like I did?

I thought it was a great run and a really enjoyable ending. I'm glad they did it live as well. I for one can say that I've had my Chrono Trigger fill and my Endurance Run fill...for the moment! I've started Chrono Trigger at least 3 times in my life but I've never finished it. I'm glad I saw the ending, it was a good one.

What are some of your favorite CTER moments? I gotta say the rematch with the skeleton boss in the sand pit is a favorite of mine. Redemption!

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I like video games.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Phatmac

Love it as always!

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By zero_

Fuck what a great ending to the ER, its probably the best ending of any ERs they've done yet. Yeah we all got annoyed when they fucked up throughout the series, but it was all redeemed.

I'm really happy to have seen CTs ending, I've replayed and restarted that game so many times and just never finished it.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I wanna play Chrono Cross now. I was thinking about getting CT, but not much of a point now that I've seen the ending.

Zealousadonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zealousadonis

I am sad it is over :(

My favorite part was whenever they messed up. Other people may have raged but I thought it was hilarious, especially when they forgot the 2poch could fly and just left it in the dark age.

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By mak_wikus

Absolutely loved it. I've never played Chrono Trigger, so whatever they did wrong never bothered me as much as everyone else. I liked how the stream ended and everyone was like: That was great! We want more!

Also, I'm not done yet. I've only seen the final fight, so I'm patiently waiting for the archive.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Maajin

I loved it, even when they couldn't figure out dumb stuff. It was really great to watch them learn and find not the optimal, but their own way (most of the time) of solving their problems.

It's a real shame that we're probably years away from the next Endurance Run.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By donchipotle

I still think Chrono Trigger is a bad game but the ER had its moments so there's that.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shaunk

@DonChipotle said:

I still think Chrono Trigger is a bad game but the ER had its moments so there's that.

Not liking something and saying its bad are different things. I don't like Mass Effect but I won't say its a bad game. It just doesn't interest me.

Discoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Discoman

I'm sad. It was something to look forward to everyday. I only got annoyed that one time they ran through Guardia Forest like 10 times. The last 3 hour show was spectacular and reading the people in the chat freak out was hilarious.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By cap123

I was a little disapointed with the ending to be honest! the whole final live stream was great and all, but i thought the parade at the end was a little bit of an anti-climax, and i thought the goodbye to your companions could have been longer... was that the best ending?

in terms of the endurance run though, i loved every second of it so thanks to the guys for putting up with it all!

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Goldanas

I enjoyed it and was glad to see Ryan and Kep finally get a hold on things.

My complaints were how they always talked about making the ER "pure", and talking about "the whole point of an ER".

If they wanted a "pure" experience, they probably shouldn't have played for a mere 30 minutes a day. Nobody played games like that when it originally came out. Also, not trying to seek advice when they're stuck? The world was filled with friends and associates with whom you could talk to about the problems you were having in games, which they were having many throughout the course of the ER. That's a part of the social aspect of video games back then. Hell, they wouldn't have had such a problem, if they just looked for help every once in a while. Playing for such a short amount of time a day is probably what contributed greatly to that memory loss.

It was still funny, but if they could have taken a cue from Jeff and Vinny (They often used guides when they felt it appropriate, sometimes during the filming), it would have been much more enjoyable.

If you want to know the point of your video content, it's to be entertaining, and sometimes it's only frustrating when you try to adhere to platitudes outside the realm of possibility and your ability.

As I said, though. It was still enjoyable. Persona 4 is still the best, and both DP's were fantastic.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

I missed the live show, so I'll watch the ending tomorrow, but I will say that I wasn't really a fan. Too much of them fucking basic shit up and wasting my time.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By musubi

I'm sad! Watched it every morning! It was exciting to wake up to the new adventures of Brono! Now a void is left in my heart. =( Guess I could start watching the Persona 4 ER since I never did watch that.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SeanFoster

It was my first Endurance Run I've got to follow along with as it happened. I enjoyed it a lot, it'll be a bit odd the next few days not having a new instalment to watch.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rjayb89

This Endurance Run proved that Chrono Trigger is a game worth going back to despite my inability to return to previous game generations. I had already been sold on the game, with me having the DS version and all, so watching these guys play through it instead was pretty fun and probably the closest I could have been to a playthrough of my own, mistakes and all. I didn't come here for the perfect strategy to take shit down, I just want to see dudes have fun with games. Which is, of course, very hot.

dablemont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By dablemont

I followed you guy's journeys through the game and I loved it! Congratulation Bryan and Batrick!

I Had a lot of good laughs, especially with things I was also confused (such as Magus' battle with the element stuff - English is my second language, and when I played it for the first time on my SNES back in 96, I had only about 2 years of English so I had a hard time understanding some phrases and sentences.) Chrono Trigger will always have a special place in my heart because it was the first jrpg I had played in my life. If I hadn't started with this one, I'm not sure I'd have gotten into the genre back then.

I really hope you guys don't take too long to start another ER. Your work is gold!

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By boboblaw

Yeah the ending was fantastic. Overall I really enjoyed the ER despite the many times they went round in circles it was still really fucking great.

AzHP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By AzHP

@Demoskinos said:

I'm sad! Watched it every morning! It was exciting to wake up to the new adventures of Brono! Now a void is left in my heart. =( Guess I could start watching the Persona 4 ER since I never did watch that.

The Persona 4 endurance run is my favorite, there's a lot more social interaction in the game which means more material for Vinny and Jeff to play off of, I think it really let their personality shine through.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Something stopped the Endurance Run...

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22  Edited By Tireyo

Time for another Endurance Run! Chrono Trigger was good!

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By donchipotle

@MasturbatingestBear said:

@DonChipotle said:

Not liking something and saying its bad are different things. I don't like Mass Effect but I won't say its a bad game. It just doesn't interest me.

I think Chrono Trigger is a bad game. It has nothing to do with me not liking it, I just think it is a bad game.

Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

See, Chrono Trigger did make a decent ER after all. There were some hard times, but there were some great times as well. But that just makes it an even greater experience once you make it to the end. AND what an ending to the ER that was. It got really tense during that boss marathon in the livestream -- specially during the 2nd Lavos phase when World Revolution started playing.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NegativeCero

I just finished my second playthrough recently to get the Developer Super Team ending. I have the Endurance Run to thank for making me want to finish that up. I may go for some others eventually.

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By wadtomaton

So, I guess I fell asleep without realizing it last night, so until seeing this thread (and no ER posted today), had no idea that it ended with last nights episode and was completely confused XD Guess I better rewatch it to see what the hell I missed lol.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SeanFoster

@demonknightinuyasha said:

So, I guess I fell asleep without realizing it last night, so until seeing this thread (and no ER posted today), had no idea that it ended with last nights episode and was completely confused XD Guess I better rewatch it to see what the hell I missed lol.

They live streamed the final battle with Lavos, was a 2 or 2 and a half hour event. Probably archived tomorrow.

Soulblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Soulblitz

Never played the game before and loved every minute of it. Sure they made a few silly mistakes, but none of us play games perfectly. I was a little surprised by how short the game is in that I expected it to be much longer, and they even said that in the final part as well, but I'm not disappointed.

The ending was fantastic, and doing it live and following it through to the end was totally worth it. The only bad thing about the Endurance Run, as with the previous ones, is that now I don't have any more Endurance Run to watch! Hats off to Ryan and Patrick for sticking through it and putting up with everyone bitching. I know a lot of people only bitch because it's simple things that would help them along the way, but they're playing their Chrono Trigger, not yours. I absolutely cannot wait for the next Endurance Run, but I fully understand why they'd want to take a break.

In the mean time, BOBO'S THEME LIVES ON.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By GalacticPunt

Though in terms of funny moments, this was the weakest Endurance Run so far, the ending was the best yet.

Beating a the final boss of a classic game in front of 2000+ hyped fans was great. It made this old Chrono Trigger fan smile.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EquitasInvictus

I agree with a lot of what has been brought up so far: the Endurance Run had many great moments but at the same time there were parts that truly had to be endured with how they'd sometimes struggle with trivial issues a lot longer than they should've.

In the end, though, they really pulled it together. That was an amazing finale. Being someone who played through Chrono Trigger similarly, I was impressed with how they managed to adapt to Lavos' changes quickly and actually comfortably defeat Lavos.

Chrono Trigger is one of my all-time favorite games and I'm glad Ryan and Patrick were able to share that experience. Its endgame is one I have an attachment to (I really liked how nicely everything wrapped up in the Midnight Parade ending and how everyone was able to say goodbye) and I absolutely loved how they transitioned into the credits and the final screen between To Far Away Times and To Good Friends - even Ryan and Patrick were seriously engaged in how the credits rolled, showing how even an SNES-era game can age well and still deliver one of the best storytelling experiences in a video game.

As much as there were struggles, this Endurance Run was definitely worthwhile and I look forward to even more in the distant future. For now, I'm sure these guys deserve a good break from endurance runs!

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Karl_Boss

@MasturbatingestBear said:

@DonChipotle said:

People can think a game is bad, its an opinion.....I hated Mass Effect 2, I thought Mass Effect 2 was a bad game.

Dotsonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dotsonics

Anyone know when they will post up the final episode? Was stuck at work and unable to see the live stream :/

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#33  Edited By jacksukeru

It wasn't the strongest of the 6 Endurance Runs, but parts of it were really great and I mostly had fun with it. Watching the end live was an experience as well and totally worth it.

I hope they'll do another one, someday.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By babblinmule

I thought it wasnt anywhere near as good as the Persona 4 one, but waaaaay better than the Deadly Premonition run.

byterunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By byterunner

@RockmanBionics said:

It wasn't the strongest of the 6 Endurance Runs, but parts of it were really great and I mostly had fun with it. Watching the end live was an experience as well and totally worth it.

SIX?!

what? *goes to ER page*

What?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@byterunner said:

@RockmanBionics said:

SIX?!

what? *goes to ER page*

What?

Don't forget about when they played through all of Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja and Afterburner Climax.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By Dany

It was fun to watch. Not that enduring IMO.

SuperFusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SuperFusion

My favorite part was when Ryan had a stroke of genius and changed Epoch's name to 2poch. That was, without a doubt, the funniest moment of the CT ER. The ending was really good too, especially since it was live, which made it all the more exciting. And I totally didn't cry at the end.. totally didn't... >.<

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By wadtomaton

@seanfoster: Hahha yeah, about half way through the latest available I was like "...this is half over and they haven't even started to him....was that forum post fucking with me?" Then of course got to the end and they mentioned live streaming it. Good to know it's going to be super long XD

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By mfpantst

Because of this I bought and am playing dragon quest 6. So there's that.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By algertman

Best thing this site has ever done.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By cornbredx

The ER was great. It started off kinda slow, and Ryan and Patrick needed a few episodes to really get going (as far as banter and commenting goes) but in the end it did not disappoint. It was entirely what I had hoped for in this ER- witty but also insightful. 

An awesome, ER. It's a shame Jeff wont do these anymore, he's really funny- but this was superb. So glad Ryan and Patrick were the ones to do this one, honestly. Nice change of pace to the Jeff/Vinny type ER. I hope they do an ER near the end/beginning of every year. Seemed like perfect timing- what with nothin else goin on.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#43  Edited By MikeLemmer

After all the stumbling they did during the midgame, it was great to watch them find a good strategy, clean the final boss's clock with it, and applaud the game.

Chrono Trigger is the capsule Japanese RPG for me. It's the Portal to Final Fantasy's Halflife. It's smaller and shorter, but they pack in an unusual story, a combat system that emphasizes different tactics, a combo system that diversifies party setups, and enough side quests and alternate endings to let you end it quickly or draw it out. The music and graphical style are top notch, too. It's the perfect game for introducing someone to old-school JRPGs, or just finishing a game in one or two weekends.

stymie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By stymie

In the end, I loved it. Yeah, there were times when I was screaming at my monitor, but I had to remember that this is a game I've played religiously since I was a kid. I can guarantee I missed a ton of the extras on my first play-through, too. I also have to say, it was really neat seeing people who were not very familiar with Chrono Trigger appreciate it as much as they did by the time the game was finished; a lot of old school games don't stand up to the test of time well (especially when being played by someone for the first time). Chrono Trigger is just a really great exception to that rule.

As for favorite moments... watching them run around the game for what seemed like half an hour because they didn't see the obvious doorway in the back of the cave of mystics, that was pretty funny. Or Patrick's stoic comment of "I get the feeling we could have done something about that" after Lara's legs were crushed. Poor Lara!

Edit: Nope, I forgot the moment that had me laughing the hardest at the... endurance run ineptitude. Ha. The first time they came out of the time gate at the Mystic's village and went to see Melchoir... and no more than 2 minutes later, could not remember how to get back or where the gate was.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#45  Edited By Hailinel

I was unable to watch it live, but It sounds like it'll be quite the show when the recording is posted. Congrats to Ryan and Patrick for enduring!

hoonsama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hoonsama

It had its close to unbearable moments but it was a blast to watch overall.

Am I the only one hoping that they'd try for all the other endings? Though I guess the chances of that happening is nil.

@Hailinel said:

I was unable to watch it live, but It sounds like it'll be quite the show when the recording is posted. Congrats to Ryan and Patrick for enduring!

You can watch the recording off their justin.tv account:

http://www.justin.tv/giantbomb/videos

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ShadyPingu

I loved it. Some serious poignancy in that ending.

I'm glad I endured with Ryan and Patrick, because I never finished CT myself, and now I feel like I did and got all the emotional payoff without the effort.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FateOfNever

@InfiniteGeass said:

I wanna play Chrono Cross now. I was thinking about getting CT, but not much of a point now that I've seen the ending.

Well, you've seen one of the endings. There's 13 in all. 14 on the DS. And if you play Chrono Cross, don't go in expecting anything nearly as good as Chrono Trigger.

Edit: Also, this was a good ER. There were times I was yelling at my screen; not so much about HOW they were playing but that they were missing obvious things (like getting counter attacked for doing certain things and not being able to figure out that that was happening.) It also sort of pointed out to me just how bad the SNES translation was, as well as some of the later game faults of how vague things get (that Sun Stone quest would be almost impossible if you didn't go look it up, and I take that a bit for granted having played through the game so many times at this point.) The simple things really made it so enjoyable though and I really hope we get another ER in the near future (though I'm sure as hell not holding my breath there will be another one soon.)

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By beforet

All ERs should have live endings. I hope it's something they adopt from now on. At least in the cases where it's obvious like this one.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SlightConfuse

the live ending was really great, i think they played the game fine but their constant amnesia was frustrating at times

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.