Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono Trigger

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 11, 1995

Take control of the lovable but silent protagonist Crono in this time-spanning collaborative effort from Squaresoft's "Dream Team." Chrono Trigger follows the exploits of Crono as he and his friends attempt to save the world from a planet-devouring alien creature.

Why Chronotrigger is a terrible choice for an Endurance Run

• 132 results
    sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By sawtooth

Check it out dude, if you don't think it's something you want to watch, then don't watch it.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By prestonhedges

@mutha3 said:

@JeffGoldblum said:

it would be very clear you have an abnormal opinion of this game.

The other thread begs to differ.

Chrono Trigger is a genre-defining classic-- but that doesn't necessarily translate to good video.

Citation needed.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By mutha3

@gladspooky said:

@mutha3 said:

@JeffGoldblum said:

it would be very clear you have an abnormal opinion of this game.

The other thread begs to differ.

Chrono Trigger is a genre-defining classic-- but that doesn't necessarily translate to good video.

Citation needed.

You might have missed the huge thread which was stickied for a couple of days and has been consistently on the front page this past week.

Don't feel like pulling it up, do it yourself.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By Kyreo

@Sooty: Yeah. a better combo would have been Ryan and Vinny, OR Jeff and Vinny. Vinny always seems to bring the funny things up and the other guys just run with it.

nobel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By nobel

You are being unreasonable.

That is all.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By joshth

@Kyreo said:

@Sooty: Yeah. a better combo would have been Ryan and Vinny, OR Jeff and Vinny. Vinny always seems to bring the funny things up and the other guys just run with it.

This is the only thing that I'm truly upset about. If it was Vinny with ANYONE playing ANY game, I would be happy.

VirtuaXav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By VirtuaXav

It's an endurance run, for VIDEO games. VIDEO. games. VIDEO. games.

Pretty sure the whole thing is designed to be viewed, not listened to.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By QuistisTrepe

@JeffGoldblum said:

@QuistisTrepe said:

My stated reason for Chrono Trigger being a poor choice for an ER is that it just isn't a very compelling game and it has the depth of a puddle.

So they shouldn't cover one of the most revered RPG's of all time because YOU don't like it? I mean if you knew anything about video game history it would be very clear you have an abnormal opinion of this game.

Pretty sure I'm well versed on gaming history. This is why I can make a comment like that and it stands perfectly well. Frankly, I just don't care if my opinion is "abnormal" or not. Will there be anything else?

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By QuistisTrepe

@mutha3 said:

a genre-defining classic

FFVI says hello. I remember how disappointed I was by CT after playing through FFVI.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By shirogane

@joshth said:

@Kyreo said:

This is the only thing that I'm truly upset about. If it was Vinny with ANYONE playing ANY game, I would be happy.

i was just saying to someone the other day how Vinny needs to be in EVERY video ever made, and that they should even invest in cloning to do so.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By Vextroid

I kinda don't want them to do Chrono Trigger is because I haven't beat it (played it on an emulator years ago) and really want to see the story for myself.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62  Edited By Sooty

@JeffGoldblum said:

@Sooty said:

The problem isn't the game, the problem is it's Patrick and Ryan.

If you don't like 2/5 of the content contributors of this site, maybe you should find a different site.

I didn't say I didn't like them, I just don't think they're good choices for an endurance run, Ryan was boring in Deadly Premonition.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By louiedog

Every eighth thread on Giant Bomb before the 24-hour Tested podcast: I demand a new Endurance Run!
    Every eighth thread on giant Bomb after the 24-hour Tested podcast: I'm not satisfied with the thing that I asked for and received!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#64  Edited By Brendan

This is the first of many of these blogs.

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By DopeToast

I am excited about the choice of game. I think it could be fun. I was just really hoping to have it be Jeff and Vinny again. Don't get me wrong, I think Patrick and Ryan will do a great job, but I just loved watching Jeff and Vinny the first two times around.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By DAFTPUNK

@DeeGee said:

@Old_Corncob said:

So, 70 percent of the responses are baseless rejections, and vicious insults.

That is to be expected on the Giantbomb forums, so I'm over it.

Try not to make stupid comments and you won't get insulted : D

"Guys, making a video series that I have to watch is a terrible choice!"

Hint: it's not a podcast. It's a video. You watch it. With your eyes.

it was not a stupid comment at all, it was his opinion, and I am pretty sure he knows that he has to watch with his eyes(now that's a stupid comment)

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#67  Edited By jacdg

@Sooty said:

The problem isn't the game, the problem is it's Patrick and Ryan.

Yeah, I'm not really interested in this one, because of the game, but also because of the dudes doing it, no disrespect, it's just not for me, it's fucking cool that they do another one.

RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By RoujinX

The reason Chroono Trigger is a terrible idea for an endurance run is because it isn't Shenmue.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#69  Edited By DeeGee

@DAFTPUNK:Clearly you didn't read his post if you believe "Make videos that I don't have to watch" isn't stupid.

We have video you don't have to watch. They're called podcasts.

Whether Chrono Trigger is a terrible choice for the ED isn't the issue. That's his opinion and he's allowed it. I personally agree, but for different reasons than the fact he needs to watch a video.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ryanwho

I think the bigger problem is who the people are doing the ER. I just imagine 5 minutes or more going by without anyone saying anything. Vinny's pretty good about starting long strange conversations with almost nothing to go on, you kind of need him for an ER to work. Vinny + anyone = working ER. opinions

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#71  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Well, this thread makes me sad to read. I think you make a very valid point Corncob and I'm also going to find it kind of hard to put aside some time specifically for watching the videos, instead of having them on while doing other stuff. None the less I think it's fair enough for them to produce video content that demands you watch it to keep up, and I have to be honest, I thought your "cute thought guys" comment seemed rather patronising.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Sanity

Im actually really looking forward to watching them play a game i played to death, plus the soundtrack is the best of any game ever imo. Bring it Lavos!

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#73  Edited By big_jon

@BabyChooChoo said:

@Old_Corncob said:

...or Chie was being sexy.

As if Chie is ever not sexy.

Creeper

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#74  Edited By killroycantkill

So your main complaint is that you have to read....

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@big_jon said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@Old_Corncob said:

...or Chie was being sexy.

As if Chie is ever not sexy.

Creeper

Yes

Atom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#76  Edited By Atom

I'm not crazy about a Chrono Trigger ER either (FWIW, I played it when it was released, still own the cart :P) but it's just good to know there's gonna be another endurance run.

Still, the quality of the GB crew videos has little to do with the games themselves, anyway. Just look at Game Room quick looks.

TheLeamenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#77  Edited By TheLeamenator

It's astonishing how unsurprised I am that this is in the forums. Don't hate on Chrono Trigger! Toriyama's artstyle works wonders in all mediums!

ffdthree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ffdthree

All i feel is this is a good reason to deman Ryan, Brad, and Patrick VO while Jeff and Vinny Endure.

Or, i supppose Jeff, Brad and Vinny VO. Ryan and Patrick can endure instead, if need be.

Fascism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Fascism

lol @ someone thinking Chronotrigger is a 40 hour game

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#80  Edited By Dagbiker

thanks for bumping this stupid thread, i was worried someone would forget that this thread existed.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By izzygraze

I bet one trillion dollars that after the first episode everyone will be like "I hated the idea at first then I saw the first episode and great job guys!".

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#82  Edited By Superkenon

The only times I ever went audio-only for past Endurance Runs was for the dungeon crawls, because there's not much of interest to look at, so at that point pretty much all you're there for is to hear what them mutter nonsense anyway (don't get me wrong. I loved the random banter Vinny and Jeff got into during P4's dungeons).

Chrono Trigger doesn't really have any long eventless hauls, so I know I'll want to be eyeing the whole thing. I consider this a plus, myself, even if it means finding the time to do it. (I'm usually listening to Giant Bomb at work, heh.)

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By FengShuiGod

Chrono Trigger is a bad idea because there is no voice acting, it is well known, it is short, it is not "weird" enough, and Patrick. I mean, Patrick has even played some of the game before. If they don't want to do a full ER they should wait and do it proper instead of doing some half-assed thing like this.

StalkingTurnip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By StalkingTurnip

I feel like had you phrased this thread differently we as a community could have come together and forced them to make funny voices for each character. My favorite part of the persona 4 ER was when ghoul showed up.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By shaunk

@FengShuiGod said:

Chrono Trigger is a bad idea because there is no voice acting, it is well known, it is short, it is not "weird" enough, and Patrick. I mean, Patrick has even played some of the game before. If they don't want to do a full ER they should wait and do it proper instead of doing some half-assed thing like this.

The people that keep saying the game isn't weird at all probably haven't played it. It gets pretty insane at times.

The part I most want to see is when they get to Zeal late in the game. Don't worry, that's not spoilers, just a place.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@MasturbatingestBear said:

The people that keep saying the game isn't weird at all probably haven't played it. It gets pretty insane at times.

It's not that the game isn't weird; it's that, specifically, it's not quirky. I've played Chrono Trigger and do you believe it holds the same level of deliberate hilarity as Persona 4 or Deadly Premonition? Because I don't. The only thing I can think of in CT that fits that decision at least a bit is the hidden cave with all of the game's developers as sprites.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By shaunk

@FluxWaveZ said:

@MasturbatingestBear said:

It's not that the game isn't weird; it's that, specifically, it's not quirky. I've played Chrono Trigger and do you believe it holds the same level of deliberate hilarity as Persona 4 or Deadly Premonition? Because I don't. The only thing I can think of in CT that fits that decision at least a bit is the hidden cave with all of the game's developers as sprites.

Ok you've got a good point there. A lot of the quirkiness comes from the characters and some of the things they say. But not on par with P4 or DP.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@IzzyGraze said:

I bet one trillion dollars that after the first episode everyone will be like "I hated the idea at first then I saw the first episode and great job guys!".

I will take this bet, with a twist. Sure, some idiots are always easily convinced after one episode, but after they get serious about playing, I am almost 100% positive it will not be interesting for long. Comments may be at their most positive at first, but they will get progressively more, not even critical, but just bored. Afterall, I'm pretty sure that almost everyone year, complaining or not, wants it to be successful, we simply don't feel like it will be in the end.
    Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Deusx

Poor original poster, people get mad at him for having a fucking opinion of his own. I don't think Chrono Trigger is a good idea but I guess we'll see about that. Also, I have nothing against Patrick or Ryan. They are both great and have a good sense of humour but let's be honest here, Jeff was the one to point out every awkward situation, brad was great at failing at the game, and Vinny is... well he's just Vinny. Those 3 things are needed for a good ER, or at least that's what got me into them.

I can already picture Ryan getting all serious and directing Patrick to do everything he says and being mad all the time. I also can imagine Patrick making awkward jokes and weird references to old movies that, while compeling, are not as fun as watching what the other guys have to offer.

I hope I'm wrong though.

EDIT: You know who should do the endurance run? Dave and Vinny... Now THAT would be fuckin' awesome.

Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

Holy shit. What is wrong with you people? First, you beg, whine, and plead about getting another Endurance Run when they were tired from them and needed a break. Finally, when they actually announced an Endurance Run, you complain like spoiled brats. Annnnnnd really... when people act like this, it just reminds me of children. Be happy you're getting an endurance run, and shut the fuck. That's all you need to do.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By benpicko

@CommodoreGroovy said:

Holy shit. What is wrong with you people? First, you beg, whine, and plead about getting another Endurance Run when they were tired from them and needed a break. Finally, when they actually announced an Endurance Run, you complain like spoiled brats. Annnnnnd really... when people act like this, it just reminds me of children. Be happy you're getting an endurance run, and shut the fuck. That's all you need to do.

Why should we shut the fuck?

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Pinworm45

@CommodoreGroovy said:

Speaking of acting like children

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@CommodoreGroovy said:

...Okaayy. Totally makes sense.

Oh, and "shut the fuck" reminds me of "what a hell". See, Chrono Trigger will never have a "what a hell" or "lamp is the killer" moment.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Cloudenvy

@FluxWaveZ said:

@CommodoreGroovy said:

...Okaayy. Totally makes sense.

Oh, and "shut the fuck" reminds me of "what a hell". See, Chrono Trigger will never have a "what a hell" or "lamp is the killer" moment.

The P4 Endurance Run taught my just how much fun a lamp can really be.

desolation15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By desolation15

I think Chrono Trigger is a bad choice. There may very well be over a thousand let's plays and stream cast of Chrono Trigger out there. It's not a obscure game at all among gamers and frankly, this decision makes them look like they're either really out of touch or just flat out bad at video games. Now, Earthbound. Yeh, that's a game for ER if you're shooting for the retro route.

Personally, I was hoping for a Yakuza ER. That'd be rad. Still gonna watch the ER. What else am I to do? Can't change shit and there's no point turning my pale ale into ipas with all the QQs like the rest of the big babies up in here.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Marokai said:

@IzzyGraze said:

I will take this bet, with a twist. Sure, some idiots are always easily convinced after one episode, but after they get serious about playing, I am almost 100% positive it will not be interesting for long. Comments may be at their most positive at first, but they will get progressively more, not even critical, but just bored. Afterall, I'm pretty sure that almost everyone year, complaining or not, wants it to be successful, we simply don't feel like it will be in the end.

I will take this bet as well!

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#97  Edited By mikemcn

I honestly can't see myself watching more than half an hour's worth of chrono trigger, even with commentary.

Aether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Aether

I dunno. I guess the only problem i even have with this is that Vinny isn't in it. He brings something special on stuff like this with his offbeat sense of humor. Ryan is great at being cynical and Vinny is amazing at being optimistic at all times. Nothing against Patrick or anything but i just don't feel like there has been enough of him around to really get a grasp of his personality.

Or maybe I'm just obsessed with Vinny. Either way, more content is always nice. Hope it turns out alright.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#99  Edited By spazmaster666

I completely disagree. I watched the Endurance Run not to listen to the game, but to listen to the GB crews' commentary on the game while also watching them play the game onscreen. Also, they usually have the game audio turned down pretty low anyway so if you have it on in the background, it's unlikely you'll be able to hear the game audio very well with them talking over it (hence why they turn the subtitles on).

ScreamingFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By ScreamingFist

@Old_Corncob said:

Waaaa! Waaa waaa waa. Wuh waa waaa. Me me me, me me, meme me me. Waaaaaaa!

Why on Earth would you just listen to the video? I love watching them play and listen to their banter at the same time. It's not an audiobook or a podcast. Worst argument ever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.