Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crimsonland

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 16, 2003

A top-down shooter where the goal is for players to defend themselves from waves upon waves of enemies, using an assortment of increasingly powerful weapons.

Jeff really seems to love this game (Crimsonland)

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Not only did he rave about it during the quicklook but it was on his PS4 and seemed to be recently played during the Japanese arcade game quicklook. It's on sale for 8 buck right now on PSN (7 and change if you're PS+ and why wouldn't you be?) and I downloaded it. It's a pretty sweet dual-joystick shooter, plus you can use the PS4 touchpad like a mouse if you prefer to play that way, and it basically works. What a neat weird functionality. Anyway, I think it's worth checking out, and for those who think that Jeff lacks enthusiasm about games, that's because you're focused on old and busted games like Watchdogs while he is appreciating the sweet new hotness, like ports of obscure 11 year old dual joystick shooters.

But seriously it's pretty good and pretty cheap right now, a tasty combination.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BisonHero

He also played it during the Unprofessional Friday where the community voted on which games on Steam Jeff should play (was during the Steam sale). And even though they set it up as "Jeff will try out Steam games that you're maybe curious about and might buy", instead everybody just voted for the dumbest games possible.

At one point they had to download some game that had won a poll, so in the mean time Jeff played a couple of levels of Crimsonland with Rorie.

I see the appeal, but it's just not the type of game I would spend much time on.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I picked it up on PC after watching the quick look. It has been (one of) my podcast-listening-to games of choice lately.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got it on PS4 and it's pretty fun. I could see it getting repetitive, but it's a fun listen-to-a-podcast mindless kind of game. It gets pretty damn hard.

In the end, it's a twin-stick shooter. That kind of tells you what you need to know.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's pretty fun, don't get it if you're completionist though... or else trying to get a perfect in every quest mission will make you go mad, to get a perfect you have to get through the entire mission without taking a single fucking point of damage, to put it simply it's literally impossible in some missions.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum: I'm guessing on some of those missions you just need the perfect weapon to spawn as the first drop, so you can just lay waste to everything? And also get a bunch of timely nukes and other bonuses?

Do you know if the game scales to the number of players? Does it increase the number of enemies? If it doesn't, then it would probably help a lot if you could get 1-3 non-noob teammates to help you do the harder levels without taking a hit.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't understand how he can like this and not like Earth Defense Force at all. EDF has way more going on and is 3d. but they are both just a dude killing lots of spiders and stuff.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

looks like an awesome Vita game :(

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@devil240z: I wouldn't say that having more complicated mechanics and being 3D makes a game inherently better. I can't speak for Jeff, but sometimes games are fun because they're simple.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Crimsonland is pretty fun. I'm stuck on the final level, but I've had a real good time with it.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: I wouldn't say that having more complicated mechanics and being 3D makes a game inherently better. I can't speak for Jeff, but sometimes games are fun because they're simple.

I didn't mean to say that it was better at all just that they're very similar mechanically so it seems strange to love one and strongly dislike the other.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum: I'm guessing on some of those missions you just need the perfect weapon to spawn as the first drop, so you can just lay waste to everything? And also get a bunch of timely nukes and other bonuses?

Do you know if the game scales to the number of players? Does it increase the number of enemies? If it doesn't, then it would probably help a lot if you could get 1-3 non-noob teammates to help you do the harder levels without taking a hit.

yep you're pretty much depending on luck to get the perfect weapon to spawn at first, sometimes depending on the weapon I get I just restart the mission because it's as good as lost (to get a perfect that is)

There's this one mission, it's the last mission of the second set of missions, were there's these huge spiders, and when you kill one of them they part into 2 smaller spiders and those 2 smaller spiders part in yet other 2 smaller ones and so on... at one point no matter which weapon I got there are so many, and they move in such a way to really surround you (AI seems pretty good at doing that) that I end up taking damage no matter what.

Don't know how it scales in MP though, but I'm guessing that to get a perfect no one could take damage, so it would be just as difficult I think.

But still, that's a stupid thing anyway, getting perfects in all mission won't get you anything, the game is still super fun, I love it, the perfect sort of mindless game to play while listening to podcasts.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimipeppr said:

I didn't mean to say that it was better at all just that they're very similar mechanically so it seems strange to love one and strongly dislike the other.

The games are pretty different, especially in rhythm. Crimsonland is really all about tension and release. At the later levels you are always just on the verge of being overwhelmed and hoping that a nuke or ice powerup or just a better weapon will spawn. No level lasts particularly long and even survival mode is relatively short unless you're very very good. It's also 2-D and relatively simple, never disorienting or reliant on a camera. There are definitely similiarities but I can understand loving one and not liking the other.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played this game a lot like 10 years ago. I also think Earth Defense Force is a sort of technological successor to Crimsonland. Though that does not mean you absolutely have to like both just cus you like one of them.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@loafsmooch: Is it possible to like EDF without being a huge Japanophile? That is a serious question. I just don't get everything from the UI that looks like it's from an early PS2 game to the awkward animations.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: I have only played EDF 2017, not the new one(s?). I am definitely not a practitioner of japanophilia but it was a lot of fun, the dialogue and cutscenes reminds me of classics like Godzilla, which felt cool to "experience it". Also it's the sense of scale, it had me in constant awe. Massive bugs, massive amounts of bugs, massive explosions, super powerful weapons, massive-bug-spawning ships, huge walking robots, you name it. Lots of missions and difficulty options. I played that silly game way more than I thought I would... It even has loot drops! Oh, and all the enemy corpses are affected by a severe case of ragdoll. It's a lot of stupid fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.