Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dan Ryckert

Person » credited in 4 games

Senior Editor at Giant Bomb from 2014 to 2020. Formerly of Game Informer. Author, Guinness World Record holder, lifelong wrestling mark, and failed musician. After a brief stint as Podcast Producer at WWE Ryckert returned to help guide the next generation of Giant Bomb.

Sorry if this has been asked/answered, but has Dan left Giant Bomb?

• 61 results
    RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

If so, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
    deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yes he has.

It has been rough.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He streams on twitch, but it's pretty unbearable

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Yeah it's already been a few months since he left.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Giant_Gamer

I always had a soft spot for Dan. Because, i too had a great job but had to leave it because i just couldn't fit in with my co-workers.

As a result i always find a reasoning in what he says. Like, Who cares about whether or not pirates are good or evil?! They're long gone now :)

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

He left to produce podcasts at WWE. I get why he would leave a comfortable position, as sometimes you just gotta try something new. Sounded like it was time to broaden his horizons a bit.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@giant_gamer: My impression is he had a good relationship with the East team, and the only reason he left is because he got a job in an industry he adores.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

If so, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Are you the guy who went to a PAX panel and asked Giant Bomb where Greg Kasavin was at when he'd literally been on Giant Bomb every month to promote Bastion via Building the Bastion?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By penguindust

Today I learned that Ben never had a hamburger until he was 22.

Dan's spirit lives on at Giant Bomb.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Yah not to clown on anyone, but what kind of a weird closed loop are you in to miss both the Podcast farewell and the on-site video farewell? I guess if you only like.. watch Ranking of Fighters and thats it, but then how would you know about Dan in the first place? In a way it's kind of fascinating how someone would not know.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Giant_Gamer

@thechris: I'm really happy for him!

@humanity: Unfortunately, Real life has taken control over us :(

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really paying attention to the site, eh?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Yah not to clown on anyone, but what kind of a weird closed loop are you in to miss both the Podcast farewell and the on-site video farewell? I guess if you only like.. watch Ranking of Fighters and thats it, but then how would you know about Dan in the first place? In a way it's kind of fascinating how someone would not know.

People get busy and miss a podcast or two. Also not everyone here consumes everything from this site.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle:

This is a great callback. Classic Ryan moment.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, sorry I work a lot and have a lot going on? Like my wife having major surgery two months ago...

I have not been on the site or listening to the podcast(s) (east or west) since maybe Jan/Feb. So I'm just now figuring it out.

Which is why I worded the title of the thread as I did.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@htr10 said:

@flstyle:

No Caption Provided

Truly a great man.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:
    @htr10 said:

@flstyle:

No Caption Provided

Truly a great man.

Fuck Ryan Davis

deadeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

quasiconundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By quasiconundrum

I would troll you for missing Dan's departure, but hey, life happens. I dipped out of following GB completely for over a year at one point, so I get it.

As for Dan leaving, I do miss his enthusiastic energy, but I feel like the Beast crew is still rock-solid without him. And I say that as someone who's followed Dan's work since the Game Informer days.

mikachops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@quasiconundrum: Pretty much this. Shows how good East is that even without arguably the most entertaining person of the last 5 years around, they're still A++.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People change jobs. It happens. I am amazed a lot of the GB staff stay as long as they do. Way above the site average I would imagine.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People change jobs. It happens. I am amazed a lot of the GB staff stay as long as they do. Way above the site average I would imagine.

I have no hard data to back this up, but I've always assumed that people stay at jobs longer if it's a smaller business/workplace, but they're less likely to stay at jobs if it's a large business/workplace. It probably depends on company culture, but I know people who work for a smaller business/firm where they stay there for years and years because they feel that their work/input is much more vital and they matter to their coworkers, and on the flip side, it's inevitable that in a larger firm you feel like your individual input is easy to get lost in the shuffle as there are so many middle managers and everything is so compartmentalized.

Even though CBSi owns them and we're well past the scrappy startup days of Whiskey Media ownership, I still get the sense that GB has a pretty tight-knit small business style of valuing every employee pretty highly and making them feel like they're part of a team/family.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan will go on to torture other people with Mario Party now, I wish him luck with that.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's played them all. There's no more Mario Parties to spoil.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@bisonhero Interesting theory, but I can see a counterargument too. Smaller businesses have less financial security, may be more volatile, and are more likely to go out of business. Larger businesses have resources and infrastructure that makes them harder to just vanish, and people might see that as job security. In fact, that's probably part of the reason why Whiskey Media/GB sought a buyer. So I'm not sure the small/large thing equates to employee retention quite as cleanly as you propose.

clintlandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tds418: Talking about big companies having job security on a site that follows the games industry, an industry known for people getting let go after the completion of most projects and an intense lack of job security... I know games and games journalism are two different fields, but it’s a weird place to stand by that perspective.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@tds418: I think the fragility of small businesses reduce dramatically over the first couple of years. While larger businesses might look well protected, these last ten plus years have shown they can just dissolve as quickly as any other business - it's just someone is more likely to either bail out a big business to reduce the knock on effect or someone buy the name giving the impression it has survived. That and the industry type it's engaged in.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People stay at jobs longer when they have good work culture and they actually care about the job and their co-workers.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

This seems like a good place to say, I wonder if Giant Bomb will consider editors working from home even when human malware is over? GB was willing to allow/bet on Chicago and NY offices- even while being very small. Believe me, not many companies allow people to move around as much as GB has in the past few years.

I say this because even with Dan having moved to Connecticut that does not preclude him coming back without having to move to Bronx, Queens, or New Jersey.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stantongrouse said:

@tds418: I think the fragility of small businesses reduce dramatically over the first couple of years. While larger businesses might look well protected, these last ten plus years have shown they can just dissolve as quickly as any other business - it's just someone is more likely to either bail out a big business to reduce the knock on effect or someone buy the name giving the impression it has survived. That and the industry type it's engaged in.

I'm not going to say all big businesses are stable, but according to government statistics, half of small businesses do not survive 5 years:

However, from there the number falls sharply. Only about half of small businesses survive passed the five-year mark, ranging from 45.4% to 51% depending on the year the business was started. Beyond that, only about one in three small businesses get to the 10-year mark and live to tell the tale.

Companies like CBS, WWE...they are going to survive the next five years, short of nuclear Armageddon. They may have painful layoffs, but they'll be around in some form.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

@tds418: I will give you that a company named CBS will exist in five years. But it will likely be a different company than the current one. Within the past 20 years Sumner Redstone has split CBS into two companies (CBS and Viacom), purchased and then disbanded Midway, hired Les Moonves as a successor before ginning up some me too related charges in order to fire him while giving him nothing, merged CBS and Viacom back together, and prepped his daughter as his successor before changing his mind again. He is 95 years old, can’t speak, is bedridden, and owns CBS. Hence his eventual death would likely see a dramatic shift in what CBS looks like going forward.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems like a good place to say, I wonder if Giant Bomb will consider editors working from home even when human malware is over? GB was willing to allow/bet on Chicago and NY offices- even while being very small. Believe me, not many companies allow people to move around as much as GB has in the past few years.

I say this because even with Dan having moved to Connecticut that does not preclude him coming back without having to move to Bronx, Queens, or New Jersey.

Things would be different now that they've had a couple months to try out working from home, Discord/screensharing tech, has gotten slightly better since that era. But if we may go to the specific examples you gave:

I don't think the early work-from-home instances of Patrick in Chicago and Alex alone in NYC were very successful periods, at least from a viewer standpoint.

I like Patrick, but once he moved to Chicago, it's baffling to me that he stayed on staff as long as he did. He did good reporting both in SF and Chicago, though that too has confused me as even when he broke major stories, I wonder how much traffic it generated for GB compared to how much traffic it generated for the other big news sites that people actually check daily for news. Patrick did what he could with solo videos and his Friday column so he still had a weekly presence on the site, but losing him from all GB podcasts and livestreams and Quick Looks and all collaboration was a big "what is even the point of this" for me.

Ditto for Alex alone in NYC. I like that it spawned the Patrick/Alex podcast, but once again I got a major vibe of "what is even the point of this". Alex was reviewing waaaaay more games in that period, and had a weekly column for a bit, but from a video standpoint he was basically invisible on the site.

Internal GB staff may have a very different opinion of that time period, but I just felt like both Patrick and Alex were under-utilized due to their remoteness from other staff members. I'm glad Patrick was able to transition to a news gig that was better suited to his work from home circumstance, and I'm glad Alex was able to join up with Vinny to establish the NYC office.

Covid-19 has temporarily flipped a switch and turned Giant Bomb back into scrappy, make-something-work-with-duct-tape mode like when they were starting out, and that's kinda refreshing, but I think I have almost zero interest in having work-from-home staff members once the pandemic has died down. I don't think it suits the collaborative video coverage they produce.

I'm not interested in Dan returning to the site.

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just want to echo the sentiment here that Dan didn't leave due to any bad blood or anything. He's even called into the Beastcast after he had left. It's just because he got the opportunity to work with WWE and any job with them is even more of a dream job for Dan than a job in the game industry. Plus he had worked in games for 10 or 15 or so years, and never worked with the WWE so that's why he left. It's all good people!

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is amusing to see how much Dan has been streaming games lately. But I'm sure that's in part because Connecticut has been very locked down for a while now.

austinj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Like, Who cares about whether or not pirates are good or evil?! They're long gone now :)

Make no mistake, pirates are still a threat.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tds418 said:

It is amusing to see how much Dan has been streaming games lately. But I'm sure that's in part because Connecticut has been very locked down for a while now.

I kinda can't stand his twitch because of how hypocritical he is.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's even called into the Beastcast after he had left.

Do you know what episode this was? I'd like to hear it.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre said:

How so?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup said:
    @sombre said:

How so?

This is Dan "Twitch is dumb" Ryckert, who, in his past has never "Understood" what twitch is. Fast forward to now, where he's streaming loads, does nothing but talk to his chat all the time, plays the game but pays no attention, and is always egging his viewers on to sub, and "Keep the hype train going".

I've said this elsewhere, but for all of his forced "Lol I'm so dumb and wacky" gimmick, Dan is incredibly smart and savvy. He knows exactly who he is, what his audience is, and how to make money out of his fans. Good on him.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#44 FinalDasa  Moderator

I know who Dan is, but what's this Giant Bomb?

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre said:
    @frytup said:
    @sombre said:

How so?

This is Dan "Twitch is dumb" Ryckert, who, in his past has never "Understood" what twitch is. Fast forward to now, where he's streaming loads, does nothing but talk to his chat all the time, plays the game but pays no attention, and is always egging his viewers on to sub, and "Keep the hype train going".

I've said this elsewhere, but for all of his forced "Lol I'm so dumb and wacky" gimmick, Dan is incredibly smart and savvy. He knows exactly who he is, what his audience is, and how to make money out of his fans. Good on him.

Depends what you mean by "dumb". It's always been obvious Dan is very good at marketing himself and he has clear goals in mind. It's also true he's massively ignorant of anything outside of his fairly narrow areas of knowledge. It's very easy for me to believe that he genuinely didn't understand Twitch until he found himself at home with nothing to do and saw an opportunity. I don't see hypocrisy there.

Now, personally I think it's weird people sit in his chat and help him push his brand for no compensation, but that's Twitch culture I guess? Whatever. It's free to me, and he's a mellow streamer. If he's playing something I like, I'll watch.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup said:
    @sombre said:
    @frytup said:
    @sombre said:

How so?

Depends what you mean by "dumb". It's always been obvious Dan is very good at marketing himself and he has clear goals in mind. It's also true he's massively ignorant of anything outside of his fairly narrow areas of knowledge. It's very easy for me to believe that he genuinely didn't understand Twitch until he found himself at home with nothing to do and saw an opportunity. I don't see hypocrisy there.

Now, personally I think it's weird people sit in his chat and help him push his brand for no compensation, but that's Twitch culture I guess? Whatever. It's free to me, and he's a mellow streamer. If he's playing something I like, I'll watch.

His stream is parasocial relationships turned up to 11

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By north6

I haven't seen Dan's twitch stream or whatever wwe thing he's working on at all, no idea how people have that much time in their life to keep up with everyone. Danny, Drew, Dan, they were clearly among the brightest talents from GB/GS, but I don't think I've seen more than a couple pieces from Drew and Danny.

Hope your wife is doing better OP.

DT9k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what's up with all the trolls. Dan fell off a cliff leaving a perfectly Dan shaped hole in the ground. He died instantly the following week.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's time the truth came out: Dan and Brad had a Freaky Friday incident, and since Brad was leaving anyway, he left using Dan's body. Dan's still here, just as Brad.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.