Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dante's Inferno

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Traverse the nine circles of hell in Visceral's action game named after the first cycle of Dante Alighieri's epic poem The Divine Comedy.

Worth buying?

Avatar image for great__defunct__northern
    Great__defunct__Northern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

On sale this week for $30 at K-Mart. Big fan of the God of War series, but I can't say that I'm an expert at those kinds of games. I finished GOW 1 and 2 and am playing 3. Should I grab Dante's Inferno? Ryan's Inferno scared me quite a bit, but the demo was great. 

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Ryax

its an ok game for that genre. id say try to find it cheaper but since thats the lowest amazon goes i guess there isnt another option. but like i said its an ok game for its genre and actually kind of challenging at part. 

ProjektGill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ProjektGill

I think it will really be weird to play it after GoW 3 because there are so many things about God of War that make it the benchmark for other action adventures and playing Dante after it will feel like a downgrade.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I agree with Gill that Dante's Inferno may feel like a step-down in quality for you after God of War, there are better hack-and-slash games out there.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By FunExplosions

Wait for the price to drop more. That's way too much for such a short sub-par game.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Shadow

It's not a bad game, it's just average.  For $30, then if you're desperate for another game like God of War, I'd say it's worth the money.  I though, am waiting for it to drop in price to about $20 before I immerse myself in the violent world of Christianity.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Vorbis

I picked it up for £15 and loved it, found the character and setting more enjoyable than GoW. Yeah it borrows heavily but I only played GoW1+2, so I don't feel like it's a step down at all. If anything it's easy trophies/achievements and i'm even considering getting the DLC.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Binman88

I liked it a lot more than GOW3. I say buy it!

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By VWGTI

Dante's Inferno is very meh. I really, really wanted to like it and I even played through it twice, but the game is kinda bland and it's a little below average. If you can find it for $20 I'd say sure, go ahead and buy it. At $30 though I'd use your money for something else. Seriously.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By demontium

@greatnorthern: If you are currently playing GoW 3, you won't even touch Dante's Inferno. 

No, don't get it. It is too mediocre compared to GoW and too much like it that it becomes one of those 'meh' games I would rent.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By fox01313

Definitely in the rental catagory for sure, most games I rentare either just too short of gameplay time to buy (as I probably won't return it) or in cases like this from the first few levels is the game feels clunky. Especially when you start to run until the camera changes so the character will slow down to a batman-vader slow strolling speed, best thing is to just dodge move though it's not that accurate on some spots; all of this plus the character motivations really aren't that likeable, if it was blood relations he was after to save it'd be one thing but as it's his wife he can always remarry.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Gabriel
    @Shadow said:
    " It's not a bad game, it's just average.  For $30, then if you're desperate for another game like God of War, I'd say it's worth the money.  I though, am waiting for it to drop in price to about $20 before I immerse myself in the violent world of Christianity. "
    Or you can just wait for God of War VII, I'm sure Kratos gets to Christianity...eventually.
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By RobotHamster

Save your money, rent if you want but you should put it towards something else.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @Gabriel said:
    " @Shadow said:
    " It's not a bad game, it's just average.  For $30, then if you're desperate for another game like God of War, I'd say it's worth the money.  I though, am waiting for it to drop in price to about $20 before I immerse myself in the violent world of Christianity. "
    Or you can just wait for God of War VII, I'm sure Kratos gets to Christianity...eventually. "
    Actually, GoW3 is the last game in the trilogy and I say buy the game (since the demo was pretty good) or wait until the game is around $20.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#15  Edited By citizenkane

It's worth a rental at best.  Don't buy it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By jakob187

On sale for $30, eh? 

That's $60 too much. 

Don't buy this game.  Borrow it, play through it on the lowest difficulty to say "man, stuff looks cool in this game", and then forget about it. 

I'm still kind of pissed that I defended this game so much before its release.

LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By LongMasterWolf
    @greatnorthern: bought it for like $20  works for me, get drunk and smack some demons around.
    Great__defunct__Northern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wanted to reply to my own thread: ended up grabbing it for $20 or so and really, really enjoyed it. I was initially scared by Ryan's Inferno, but that part is literally the easiest challenge area at the end if you spec deep into Holy and spam the cross attack.

Again, really enjoyed this game - very tight combat, cool art design for the most part, and a hilariously serious storyline. 

Great__defunct__Northern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wanted to reply to my own thread: ended up grabbing it for $20 or so and really, really enjoyed it. I was initially scared by Ryan's Inferno, but that part is literally the easiest challenge area at the end if you spec deep into Holy and spam the cross attack.

Again, really enjoyed this game - very tight combat, cool art design for the most part, and a hilariously serious storyline. 

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By amir90

Ryans inferno, hahaha

IN his defense, he kinda sucked at that game :p

Good to hear you liked it.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tsoglani

I really enjoyed Dante's Inferno; I was a bit put off by the knockers at first, but then bought it relatively cheap and had a good gaming experience... there are certainly worse games out there. 

Needless to say, I traded it in for something a bit better once I clocked it and went through the Arena mode.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xyzygy
    @greatnorthern:  I know you already bought the game (I'm going to get it sooner or later, when it drops in price too) but if you haven't played  Castlevania: Lords of Shadow you should definitely check it out too, seeming as we're on the topic of these types of games. I liked it better than any God of War game because it's way longer (It's honestly about the length of how long it took me to play all 3 GoW games), has a much deeper combat system, much better storyline and a wickedly satisfying ending.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.