Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Sector

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 25, 2008

Use your glaive to chop off your enemies' heads in this third-person action-shooter from D3 and Digital Extremes.

Dark Sector

• 100 results
    M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What's the thing called where articles have big quotes from the article even though your probably already reading the article anyway? Its totally dumb, i want jpegs of ninja swordsmen with guns.

But anyway enjoyable read.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Huh. How about that. I didn't even know Digital Extremes was based in London, Ontario. That's like maybe an hour away from where I live.

Avatar image for librorumprohibitorum
    LibrorumProhibitorum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Sector 2004 looks way more interesting than what Dark Sector actually became, though this is my first time seeing the 2004 tech-demo. I wonder how I would've felt in 2004 about Dark Sector 2004. The shots from behind the character "feel" a lot like Dead Space, too.

Kaowas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By Kaowas

Great article, Patrick! I think I'll give Warframe a go when it goes into open beta. The Quicklook had me at least intrigued, and this article makes me want to give it a shot.

2008's Dark Sector was... well it wasn't great of course, but there was some heart there. Well, it was a struggling, dying heart but it was beating! Slowly... The game was trying something, and the world of the game gave me a little inkling toward Deus Ex's world so I was at least into it for that. But Warframe's world is something I can really get behind. I just want to see if the game is any good first.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

I was one of those people saying wtf? when I saw Dark Sector as an actual game. I wondered why they made such an intense change in art direction and setting from the tech demo and it turns out same reason any awesome project gets shelved; asshole publishers. I really hope the industry continues to evolve in such a way that developers get to decide what their games are, not marketing execs. Oh man if I could be as excited for games now as I was in the 90s, that would be nice.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andmm said:
    No Caption Provided

@patrickklepek The icon for Warframe is the same from Dark Sector :D

It's a lotus flower. Lotus is one of the main characters in Warframe.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@kaowas: It's actually been in open beta this past weekend but unfortunately it ends tonight.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fucking love Warframe, I've put probably over 20 hours into it and didn't get tired at all of the combat. There's something about the feel that they've gotten so right that makes it a joy to play. Gliding on your knees while spewing electricity at a room full of dudes or wall running up past a dude before slicing him in half from behind. The game just plays great, you can't go wrong with it really, especially for free.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

So many thoughts fighting for attention at the same time. Digital Extremes is related to Solar Winds? Suddenly my respect for them has skyrocketed. The Civil War? Come on, Sony, the Civil War? How would any of the mechanics from that trailer have made even the faintest hint of sense if it was set before the automatic rifle was even invented, much less powered stealth armour and robot enemies? And yeah, I'm gonna back up the sentiment that the suits who were insulting the concept and trying to steal its tricks in the same breath were scumbags.

Avatar image for goulash_enjoyer
    goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey Patrick, the games industry isn't "irrationally secretive" but "rationally secretive." Don't be willfully obtuse.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I've loved every second that I've spent in Warframe. It definitely feels like a beta that they are continuing to add onto, but the basic blueprint is there...and I love it. They are definitely doing the F2P model correctly as well, since you can obtain all of the general gameplay necessities through in-game currency and crafting. There is plenty of reason to re-run different areas. My sole issue is that the areas you go to begin to feel a bit repetitive, and they are not necessarily very kind when it comes to death in the game. At the same time, death truly DOES feel like it is your fault for not being careful, and the punishment for it definitely drives that home even deeper.

This article is a great look at some history, and it's nice to see these guys finally getting to make the game that they fucking wanted to make instead of some corporate shill bullshit. I love the art aesthetic of the game.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By sweetz

It's not mentioned here, but I'd also love to know a bit of the story behind the PC port behind the game.

The PC port is (in)famously a wreck. Basically, when displayed at widescreen resolutions it stretches vertically. That is to say, it's not like a 4:3 image stretched to widescreen, where everything is wider than it should be; rather it's so screwed up that running in widescreen actually makes things taller/thinner than they should be.

It was ported by some unnamed Russian developer (later found to be some arm of Noviy Disk), and published in the US by Aspyr - previously most well known for Mac ports of games.

There was ZERO post-release support for the port. Aspyr's support was entirely clueless and refused to acknowledge that the problem existed at first. Later they had a canned response of being in contact with the developer about the issue, but of course nothing ever materialized.

I would love to know what Digital Extremes thinks about their IP being handled in this manner. Regardless of what people thought about the gameplay itself, it certainly couldn't have done much to help Digital Extreme's image to have their name associated with such a poorly handled port.

PS Great article. I really like when Patrick does these "behind the scenes" kinds of things. Game development business and politics is typically such an iron curtain. I was hoping he would do one on the story behind System Shock 2 miraculously showing up on GoG since he had some info about the crazy situation with that game's IP before, but I saw in Worth Reading that he linked a Rock Paper Shotgun interview about it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

What a fantastic article! I've been obsessing over the similarities between these games since I started playing Warframe (thanks to the Quick Look, of course).

Super T game, by the by.

Avatar image for nicktorious_big
    nicktorious_big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Ahh I remember Dark Sector. There was such a big deal around that game back then. And look how it ended up in the end...it was sad to see! I hope that Digital Extreme can find it's footing and that they produce a good game with Warframe!

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Dark Sector. It's not great, but I had fun with it and I've played much worse this gen.

emilknievel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was really interesting to read. Thanks, Patrick!

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@m_shini said:

What's the thing called where articles have big quotes from the article even though your probably already reading the article anyway? Its totally dumb, i want jpegs of ninja swordsmen with guns.

No Caption Provided

uberexplodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#68  Edited By uberexplodey

More of you should play Warframe!

BRNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m_shini said:

Pull quotes. They catch the eye and give you the gist of the article, enticing you to read it fully where you may not have before. Yay, graphic design.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Branthog

I bought Dark Sector, brand new, for $8 a couple years ago. I remembered being excited by the initial trailers. Then I remembered how panned the game was, after launch. I still haven't felt compelled to actually take off the shrink-wrap and try playing it yet, though.

Also, for all these people who keep saying "we don't need new consoles" and "we don't need the new consoles to be powerful" -- just keep in mind that the graphics in this 2004 demo are almost on-par with a lot of today's console games -- in 2013 and that even the most beautiful 360 game in 2013, while much better looking than this 2004 demonstration, is not an order of magnitude better. You can refine a lot of things, but you're still running on decade old hardware.

Tidel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#71  Edited By Tidel

Great story. I had no idea about any of this. I knew there was ambiguous trouble behind 2008 Dark Sector by not what or why.

Now I wish I had a Windows machine to check out Warframe. LOVE the art direction; love that it's a third-person shooter.

Maybe if I wish really hard for a console port...

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Carlos1408

Fascinating! Thanks for the article Patrick, I love me some sci-fi! :D

Kind of wish I could check out Warframe now,

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's cool. Great read.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The old Dark Sector concept art reminds me of various PS1 RPGs, like Brave Fencer Mushashi and the like. Very cool.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedted said:

I just remember how i was psyched for this game because Mike Rosenbaum was in it and it turned out to be a low point for his career. :(

I'll have to try out this Warframe once it goes into open beta. That game looks fun from what i saw in that QL.

Yeah, me too. I knew who he was because I watched Smallville... for the first 5 seasons. Then it got both insane and inane, somehow. However, I'd be willing to slowly watch it again... if Netflix got some effing CW shows! Come on!

marblecmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#76  Edited By marblecmoney

Really cool article. I had no idea Warframe had the Dark Sector lineage.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#77  Edited By tourgen

really cool article, thanks

permastun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@dark_lord_spam: Jeff seems fatigued about everything that isn't Saints Row.

Bubbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great article. Last time I played Warframe was around the time of the Quick Look, but it was lacking variety back then. I'll probably jump back in when they have on open beta. The wall running also sounds awesome. Jeff didn't show off the acrobatics in the QL, but that stuff along with the powers is what really separates this from other shooters for me. Really fun to just combo that stuff together.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#80  Edited By megalowho

Very cool story. Always been fascinated by Dark Sector as the first peek into next gen gaming that eventually got left behind. Great formatting too, articles looking slick on the new site so far.

Ghostface318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Ghostface318

I thought this was a really well-written story. Its always great to get a bit of a deep dive on the game industry where things don't come together or ever see the light of day.

Nicely done sir.

PurpleSpandex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#82  Edited By PurpleSpandex

This was an interesting read, good job! Hope we get more inside baseball stuff like this.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This kind of features digging into the bizarre bits of gaming like this are Patrick's best. Keep em coming please!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@assinass said:

@m_shini said:

No Caption Provided

Needs a bigger cod piece.

ianyarborough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Fascinating read, @patrickklepek, this is just the sort of dimension you bring to the site that I love.

The dogged persistance of the crew at Digital Extremes seems commendable and I can't say as I blame them, as it seems like they've got the seed of an awesome story and game there, but as a sucker for hard sci-fi, I'm the target audience and an easy mark for this sort of stuff. I'd recommend they get it shipped before Destiny drops, though.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By paulunga

@deusoma said:

So many thoughts fighting for attention at the same time. Digital Extremes is related to Solar Winds? Suddenly my respect for them has skyrocketed. The Civil War? Come on, Sony, the Civil War? How would any of the mechanics from that trailer have made even the faintest hint of sense if it was set before the automatic rifle was even invented, much less powered stealth armour and robot enemies? And yeah, I'm gonna back up the sentiment that the suits who were insulting the concept and trying to steal its tricks in the same breath were scumbags.

Hell yes, Solar Winds. I spent SOO much time with the shareware version of that game. Never got around to playing the full game. Oh man, I gotta see if I can get it on gog.com or through some other means.

Seeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always love articles like this one since they show that even bigger developers can, as a team, have a 'dream game' they strive to create even if they need to bend to the whims of publishers and executives along the way. It's also always fascinating to me to learn the history behind the development of a game since there almost always seems to be far more going on than one would realize.

@patrickklepek Also, I noticed a few typos while reading this article: "the ability for players run along walls" should be 'to run', "sailed passed the original design" should be 'sailed past', and one of Sinclair's quotes is "Can you set in present day?" and I think it's meant to be 'Can you set it in the present day?' (though I can't be sure if this last one is actually a typo since it's a quote).

genkobar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Wow, I had no idea how much of Warframe was already in that Dark Sector concept video! I never saw it back in the day. This history of Digital Extremes is something I've been wondering about lately.

I got into the Warframe beta right after watching the quicklook here, and I've put 60 hours into it since then. I liked it enough to put $50 into the game, to support the development. I can see myself playing it regularly throughout 2013. The opponents are varied enough to create quite different challenges, and the warframes are a lot of fun to develop and learn how it's best to use each one.

In addition to the wall-running they recently added a whole new environment set, a Grineer meteor base. It's different from the spaceships and with some routes that require wall running, so it's very fun to play through.

Great article!

genkobar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I have a couple of keys for the closed beta left, if anyone here is interested. Just PM me!

VikG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By VikG
    TommyH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strange seeing this after playing Warframe, pretty amazing how much of it survived into Warframe after all that time though!

Good on them for sticking with what they believed in and actually getting it all the way there. What little i have played of warframe showed great promise, but as someone else mentioned the exceedingly high cost of new frames and weapons makes it somewhat booring to grind through. Was a bit since i played it now though so it might have gotten a bit more exciting... I really did love the concept and the feel of it, it just lacked some substance to keep me coming back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f71e1dc474f5
    deactivated-5f71e1dc474f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting read as always Patrick.

Rothbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@assinass said:

@m_shini said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

These guys should form a club.

JamesM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apostrophe placement!

Avatar image for deactivated-6610658acf7f5
    deactivated-6610658acf7f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This article piqued my interest in Warframe, a game that I originally didn't give a second thought. Now I'm actually looking forward to the finished product.

@patrickklepek: This article showed up in the Giant Bomb RSS feed February 14, but the link in the feed always throws a 404 error. Maybe you could "repost" it? I hope no one misses this article due to that glitch!

Paindamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_smell said:

Just watched that video and I dunno, Dark Sector seems PRETTY badass!

You would be VERY surprised. It was not the sum of it's parts. huge let down for the industry, it was supposed to be the "next gen" game of it's time. However, the stuff that they showed was end game content.

Paindamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phatmac said:

@patrickklepek Noticed a typo in the article

"Since our Quick Look was recorded, the game has added several new features, including the ability for players run run along walls."

Colarbone dog. #Colarbonebroken

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I played Dark Sector and i'm alive to tell it. Guess what? It wasn't the worst game ever.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. It was a decent but very forgettable game. 3 stars.

Avatar image for deus20xxmachina
    deus20XXmachina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, I want THAT version of the Gorgon.

RipMurdock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found this article online and I remember the original Dark Sector video vividly. It blew my mind. So when I saw Dark Sector, I knew it was that game, before it got butchered. Warframe is a ton of fun, and I am having great time playing it on xbox one with my friends. Th community is pretty solid too, and have met some cool folks on there. Although I am late in reading this article, I enjoyed it very much and thanks for writing it @patrickklepek.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.