Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

A New Speed Run Record: 59 minutes for a no-glitch full run

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Turambar

He skips the taurus demon and undead burg as a whole, and spends less than a minute falling down the wood planks to get to blight town. While it took 15 minutes for most people to get to the first boss, it took him less to ring both bells. The first ever 1 hour and 9 minute speed run took about 21 minutes to get to that point, this guy manages to squeeze in a Sif kill in those 5 minutes. God fucking damn.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By BaneFireLord

People be crazy.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SomeJerk

I've had the game for like three weeks tomorrow and I'm learning a bunch from these, thanks!  Most recent trick I learned was a shortcut to right before the Capra Demon from before the first fog gate in upper Burg.

1) Did he break the wall before the iron ball?
    2) How did he combo damage on the drop on the first boss?!

(adding as I watch because this is legit good shit)

3) oh hell, the way he handled the first BK!
    4) shiiit this runner has balls the size of planets

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Turambar

@SomeJerk: Iron ball?

If by combo damage you mean the asylum demon, most people seem to use the dropping attack right before they hit him. Using it earlier lets the sword get extended all the way out, so your sword hits the asylum demon, dealing the 50ish damage, before the actual dropping attack damage lands as well.

Also fyi, EpicNameBro has a decent video breaking down some of the tricks used in this speed run.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ravenlight

Watching this solely for Blighttown. Take that, stupid walkways!

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Turambar

@Ravenlight: You should watch it for Duke's Archives and Tomb of the giants as well. This guy does not GIVE A FUCK.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sanious

@Turambar said:

@SomeJerk: Iron ball?

If by combo damage you mean the asylum demon, most people seem to use the dropping attack right before they hit him. Using it earlier lets the sword get extended all the way out, so your sword hits the asylum demon, dealing the 50ish damage, before the actual dropping attack damage lands as well.

It's doing the lunge attack off the edge instead of just the normal dropping attack.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CptBedlam

Sounds crazy. Definitely gonna watch this later.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Turambar

HE SKIPPED CEASLESS DISCHARGE

grugvoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By grugvoth

Not sure if this run has been linked to from here before, try 32 minutes and 45 seconds for the entire run. This is all done in one single segment although it looks like he uses one quit out of the game and relaunch to do one skip. Other than that though it is pure running around and doing very little other than killing the bosses.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Turambar

@grugvoth said:

Not sure if this run has been linked to from here before, try 32 minutes and 45 seconds for the entire run. This is all done in one single segment although it looks like he uses one quit out of the game and relaunch to do one skip. Other than that though it is pure running around and doing very little other than killing the bosses.

That one uses a glitch to get into the Kiln without playing through half the areas in the game. Hence why this one explicitly states no-glitch.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kishinfoulux

I fucking love Dark Souls Speed Runs.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By murisan

Just watching gameplay of this game makes my adrenaline start

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
    The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was insane, took me over 70 hours... Thanks for sharing!

grugvoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By grugvoth

@Turambar: That's what I thought, it seemed weird to quit out when dying and suddenly be in another area. Still scary how fast it can be done though.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#17  Edited By pyromagnestir

I wish this were HD and that the menus were in English... Although I still wouldn't understand what the hell is going on.

One question, though. Dark Souls is an RPG no? How is he able to level up to the point of kicking these bosses asses without killing anybody?

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By vikingdeath1

I LOVE Dark Souls speed runs! thanks duder!

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MikeGosot
    @pyromagnestir said:

I wish this were HD and that the menus were in English... Although I still wouldn't understand what the hell is going on.

One question, though. Dark Souls is an RPG no? How is he able to level up to the point of kicking these bosses asses without killing anybody?

The leveling in Dark Souls works ina different way. I don't like Dark Souls, so i never got much into it, so i can someone can explain it better than that.
    murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By murisan

@MikeGosot said:

@pyromagnestir said:

The leveling in Dark Souls works ina different way. I don't like Dark Souls, so i never got much into it, so i can someone can explain it better than that.

Well, killing bosses nets you TONS of souls. I have been watching on and off, but if he specs right, one boss can boost his main damage dealer by quite a bit. Every "soul level" costs a certain amount of souls regardless of where you spend them, so if he just dumped into stamina and strength, he wouldn't need to kill many peons to level up enough to finish the game.

Example.. if it costs 1000 souls to level stamina up by one point, it will cost ~1250 souls to level ANYTHING else up by a point after that. I hope that was clear enough.. I suck at explaining.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By MildMolasses

@pyromagnestir said:

I'm only saying this as someone who has watched speedruns of the game and never played it, but I believe their is an item and coven combination that allows for insane attack damage. Or something like that. It definitely has to do with the equipment being used

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#22  Edited By pyromagnestir

@murisan said:

@MikeGosot said:

@pyromagnestir said:

Well, killing bosses nets you TONS of souls. I have been watching on and off, but if he specs right, one boss can boost his main damage dealer by quite a bit. Every "soul level" costs a certain amount of souls regardless of where you spend them, so if he just dumped into stamina and strength, he wouldn't need to kill many peons to level up enough to finish the game.

Example.. if it costs 1000 souls to level stamina up by one point, it will cost ~1250 souls to level ANYTHING else up by a point after that. I hope that was clear enough.. I suck at explaining.

So he's probably min/maxing the damage boosting characteristic when leveling. Alright, that helps explain some things, I think. He also seemed to know exactly who to kill to get the most souls for his efforts. Or something.

Still something about watching Dark Souls speed runs makes me want to curl up into a fetal position and cry while repeating "I don't get it." over and over.

Casey25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Casey25

that was dope

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By mosespippy

@pyromagnestir said:

• The Red Tearstone Ring that he was using a lot increases attack when health is low (hence why he would frequently go into battles with low health).
    • The Ring of Favour and Protection increases his health and damage and equip load by like 15% each.
    • He picked up a ring that increases damage to critical hits but I don't remember seeing him use it. I know the previous record holder did.
    • The weapon he used hits it's max upgrade with only 10 Crystal Titanite, while most other weapons require 9 titanite shards, 9 large titanite shards, 9 titanite chunks, and 1 titanite slab. You can max it out by killing 5 crystal lizards, while other weapons would need heaps of kills.
    • Sometimes early on he picked up items that can be used to get souls, some bosses drop a soul that most players turn into weapons but he uses them to get thousands of souls, and boss kills are worth tens of thousands of souls.
    • Lots of people beat the game at level 1. It's easier than it sounds since levelling equipment is more important than levelling atributes.
    sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By sodacat

@pyromagnestir said:

@murisan said:

@MikeGosot said:

@pyromagnestir said:

So he's probably min/maxing the damage boosting characteristic when leveling. Alright, that helps explain some things, I think. He also seemed to know exactly who to kill to get the most souls for his efforts. Or something.

Still something about watching Dark Souls speed runs makes me want to curl up into a fetal position and cry while repeating "I don't get it." over and over.

A simpler way to explain it is that the cost of leveling one attribute up by 1 point is based on the cumulative total level of all attributes. Therefore it costs the same to level one stat by 100 as it does to level 5 stats by 20 each.

He is also eating the unique boss souls to gain their soul value. Those boss souls can also be used to create unique weapons, but if you just absorb them you lose out on that, which is why most people don't just eat them.

Finally for most bosses he's wearing a ring that boost attack by 33% if you're at 15% or below health. That's why he does so little healing.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By murisan

@sodacat: He's also DAMN good. Them parries on Gwyn? Jeez.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By laserbolts

Just finished watching this and man the way he handled blighttown twice gave me hemoroids. Mad skill. I cant imagine how much trial and error it took to figure out these shortcuts. Like the bit where he crosses the lava without the ring. Like what the fuck.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Turambar

@laserbolts said:

Just finished watching this and man the way he handled blighttown twice gave me hemoroids. Mad skill. I cant imagine how much trial and error it took to figure out these shortcuts. Like the bit where he crosses the lava without the ring. Like what the fuck.

All that saved him 2 minutes on the run. There is another video out there of him doing a 1 hour 1 minute run and killing ceaseless discharge.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By laserbolts

@Turambar:

i guess when goin for the record its worth it but god damn

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By artelinarose

Well that was impressive and made me feel completely inadequate.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kishinfoulux

Letting himself take damage, knowing how much he will receive, is crazy.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jack268
    Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Deusx

Thank you for sharing this! I asked Epic Name Bro for the link to the video but to no avail. I can finally watch this. Can't wait to see how fucking crazy he goes after ringing the first two bells.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34  Edited By kaos_cracker

Took me over 10 hours to get where he is in 20 minutes. I need to play this again

RichieJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By RichieJohn

I've watched this video a few times now. I'm in awe.

I feel like watching this and paying attention can really improve my abilities.

I'd never attempt something like this but I'm glad it's there for me to watch.

Come on Dark Souls 2!

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By buft

He defeated

Edit: 13 minutes in and i saw things i never saw in the game i played on and off for 3 months

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HerbieBug

@buft said:

He defeated

Edit: 13 minutes in and i saw things i never saw in the game i played on and off for 3 months

Ditto. Super impressive.

NecroMongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NecroMongo

The best part is how he deletes the character at the end. Haha.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By cloudnineboya

what would the average score be in a normal run just too get an idea off how much he misses out and what setting his he playing on i never played this game, man he must off played this so much very interesting to watch, some off those jumps would take a lot of practice to get right,and he owns those bosses.

love the bit in the lava where he waits for the thingy to come towards him then falls of the ledge.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.