Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Oh god..... this game is going to kill me

Owlhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Owlhead

Sup Duders,

Bought this on a whim a couple weeks ago thinking "Hey, I havnt played a hard game in quite a while, this should be fun"

Finally made it to the Taurus Demon and and just getting my ass handed to me repeatedly. I end up putting it down due to frustration, but I keep coming back.

YOU'RE TEARING ME APART DARK SOULS (I'm sorry.... I had to)

Anyone else felt this way? Does it get easier the more you play, or am i going to go insane?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

It gets easier the more you understand how it needs to be played. Watch some of the videos of it here on the website. Ryan played some decently during the welcome back tricaster marathon, and Rorie played well during the quicklook or whatever it was. Pay attention to what they do, listen to the advice (except from Patrick), and try their methods. Then develop your own as you continue through that hell and meet new enemies.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

I actually thought Dark Souls was easier then Demons Souls. Mind you I've also finished Demons Souls twice. But you want a tip on Taurus Demon?

Try firebombs. You should be able to finish it in less then a minute.Try firebombs.

In slightly unrelated news, here's a good article on the grinding in Dark Souls and why it's not a bad thing. It more or less encapsulates why they are the way they are and why people enjoy it.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By DragoonKain1687

If you need tips just let me know. Im lvl 146 and I am on my second run of the game.

The Taurus Demon can be easily killed in 3 hits. Just do the following:

1- Kill both archers atop the tower.

2- Run until the Taurus Demon jumps to the bridge

3-Turn back, and go straight to the stairs next to the door

4-Climb the stairs.

5- The Taurus Demon will stay below for a few seconds. Just leap and press attack while falling to perform a plunging attack. This will do 1/3 of his life in just one hit.

6- Once on the floor, roll out of his attack range, and run away from where you are.

7- Wait for him to get away of the stairs (try to lure him) then dodge and repeat steps 3-6.

Do this 3 times and he should be dead. You may need to hit him once though. And voila its a piece of cake boss ;)

Just be carefull of the area after this.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By pweidman

Know the feeling.  Total love hate relationship, lolly.

Stairs + fire equals dead Capra, btw.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Low and slow baby. That's how you love it.

Owlhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Owlhead

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm running with a Pyromancer, using a Heater Shield and Spear I got from the merchant. I get the drop on him, but after that I'm usually thrown into the wall and the camera starts getting confused, and then the demon beats me to death before I can roll away.

Also, as far as grinding is concerned, what should I be focused on increasing?

LaudaSolem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LaudaSolem

There must be a DS support group somewhere...DS Anonymous?

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Dylabaloo

Click in the right stick to lock on!!!!

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By SpaceRunaway

@Owlhead said:

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm running with a Pyromancer, using a Heater Shield and Spear I got from the merchant. I get the drop on him, but after that I'm usually thrown into the wall and the camera starts getting confused, and then the demon beats me to death before I can roll away.

Also, as far as grinding is concerned, what should I be focused on increasing?

Endurance, and Vitality are key stats, but more so Endurance. The strength of your fire spells is only dependent on the level of your fire glove, and you upgrade it through an NPC you should meet fairly soon after you beat the Capra Demon.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mylifeforAiur

It's gets easier once you figure out the nuances of the AI and the level design. Dark Souls is a harsh mistress, but if you keep patient and treat her well, she'll make the gruelling endeavour all the more gratifying.

Avatar image for everydayodyssey
    EverydayOdyssey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By EverydayOdyssey

Also, it is weak against electricity. I believe you can purchase a electricity enchantment for your weapon from the first merchant. If not, I am not sure who drops them, but I know I had 2 when I met the demon. I have also noticed that with larger bosses some times it is better to stay close and dodge then peck away from a distance. Just keep an eye on your endurance.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Grissefar

If Taurus Demon is causing touble, then wait till you fight Capra Demon. He will kill you till you're dead.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#14  Edited By Savage

@EverydayOdyssey:

To get the consumable electricity buff item for your weapon (Pine Resin):

You have to buy the Residence Key (or have started with the Master Key as your gift), and open the last house before the stairs toward the boss, which has a chest outside in back containing 3 Pine Resin.

Owlhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Owlhead

Have the Pine Resin already as teh Master Key stood out to me as the only way to go. I know I accidentally used one (oh THATS what the sap does...) but i might have one more.

Owlhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Owlhead

Well Duders, I beat the Taurus Demon. Thanks for the advice everyone

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By morrelloman

I played this for an hour last night and immediately gave up. Sent it back in the mail. Too much of an emotional and time commitment, especially after Skyrim. I need Saints Row BAD. Or some other super short pallet cleanser.

HotSauceMagik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HotSauceMagik

@morrelloman: Mr. Morerelloman, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By morrelloman

@HotSauceMagik: I dunno man. Seemed appropriate to me. Just thought I'd float it out there that this game still isn't for everyone. Thanks for the generic hate.

HotSauceMagik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HotSauceMagik

Ah you didn't get the quote... Its from the Movie Billy Madison.

Didn't mean it in earnest. I do think you should give it another shot though. The combat mechanics alone make it miles above Skyrim. It is a bit bleak though, i'll give you that. The only emotion I felt while playing it was/is rage when i can't get past something, but as many have said, you can only blame yourself.

I guess what I'm trying to say is its my GOTY 2011 and I want you to give it another shot at somepoint.

Hugs and kisses,

HotsauceMagik

Owlhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Owlhead

As noted in the QL, I kinda like how everyone i've met in game is just completely exhausted and greets you with an "Oh.... hey..... hows it goin?"

That being said, it'll be nice when christmas shows up and i'll be able to take a break from it.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By McShank

The game wont kill you, it will make you kill yourself.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By amafi

Only thing I REALLY hate about dark souls is getting cursed. That stuff's just plain unfair.

Other than that I pretty much love everything about it. Just remember to go slow, keep you shield up and check the corners.

Also, read the wiki. The game does a terrible job of explaining the systems that are in there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.