Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

So. I have 200k souls. To go STR based, or DEX based?

lschell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lschell

My endurance is 30, and vitality at 20. I kept my dex and strength at 18. That seems to be the maxing point if you would max one and keep the other at 18. I hear great things about both... However, I simply cannot decide. At first I was all about dex, until I faced some people with Havel's armor/Black Knight axe that just wrecked me.

Which is another thing. I seem to be missing out on all the good strength weapons. Didnt get the Asylum hammer, didnt get the demon axe (A scaling weapon), and I fought the three black knights I know, didnt get a black knight weapon. Now unless I can fight an unlimited supply of black knights late game to try to get the Black Knight axe, I see a problem.

Then there are some that say mixing a little pyromancy works wonders.

Helppp :O

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jimmi

Try whatever sounds the coolest. First runs aren't about getting it perfect, and it's not like you won't be able to beat the game if you go one way or the other.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By white

You could go max dex and DUAL WIELD FREAKING CROSSBOWS D=

Immuniity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Immuniity

Its up to what you want to use and your play style.

STR = Faster attack animation

DEX = Faster movement speed

Now, look at your weapon. Now back at this post. Now at the weapon. Scroll to the stats screen of the weapon you like and look for (i think its called) ParamBonus. This is on the left side and should be letters (C, D , E etc) not numbers (which is on the right side and thats how much you need to weild it). Your weapon will have a letter associated with how much it scales with a certain stat. If next to the str icon is a B and thats the only one with any letter, then you want to invest STR as that is what the weapon is scaling from. Chances are your weapon will be scaling from both STR and DEX so try to keep them fairly balanced (unless they scale differently, then throw in a suitable coefficient).

Incidentally, this is why the drake sword is bad late game. You'll notice it scales from nothing.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Jeffsekai

@Immuniity said:

Its up to what you want to use and your play style.

STR = Faster attack animation

DEX = Faster movement speed

Now, look at your weapon. Now back at this post. Now at the weapon. Scroll to the stats screen of the weapon you like and look for (i think its called) ParamBonus. This is on the left side and should be letters (C, D , E etc) not numbers (which is on the right side and thats how much you need to weild it). Your weapon will have a letter associated with how much it scales with a certain stat. If next to the str icon is a B and thats the only one with any letter, then you want to invest STR as that is what the weapon is scaling from. Chances are your weapon will be scaling from both STR and DEX so try to keep them fairly balanced (unless they scale differently, then throw in a suitable coefficient).

Incidentally, this is why the drake sword is bad late game. You'll notice it scales from nothing.

How much STR do you need to start seeing faster attack animations? For instance the Black Knight Sword needs 20 STR to even wield it, so how much more would I need so it's faster.

QuickThumbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By QuickThumbs

@Immuniity: Thanks for that info! I had no idea about the scaling deal with weapons.

Immuniity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Immuniity

@Jeffsekai:

You will not notice the difference between say, 20 str and 21 str speed. However it all goes towards it. I cant give you an exact number, i doubt its deciphered just yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.