Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Void

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jan 15, 2010

Rocket out of the void and save a group of stranded humans from an alien force in Dark Void.

First reviews are in for Dark Void (via Metacritic)

• 67 results
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Binman88

Seems like the first few reviews are cropping up for Dark Void, and they're not too positive. The two available via Metacritic so far are from magazines, so no link to the full reviews yet unfortunately.

Playstation: The Official Magazine
    80While the shooting and platforming elements don't individually ignite the gameplay experience, when Dark Void combines them with the superb aerial combat, the action soars and the game's potential is fully realized. [Feb 2010, p.78]
    Official Xbox Magazine
    Tedious ground combat makes up the majority of the game, and the cool cover concept and sci-fi story are strong, but blown opportunities. [Feb 2010, p.86] 
    Gamepro
    60If the foes were cunning enough to make every encounter unique, or the game made better use of the verticality inherent in the premise, Dark Void would have fared a whole lot better, but ultimately, it's a disappointing title that never manages to leave the tarmac. [Feb 2010, p.78]
    PC Zone UK                        
    52A criminal waste of time and energy, as standard and generic a game as you could hope to find. [Feb 2010, p.74]

I had high hopes for this game, but PC Zone's comment has made me now cancel my preorder :(

Edit: Scans/photos of the PC Zone review:

Rapture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rapture

Damn, looks like this game is a dud, i had high hopes for it, i had high hopes.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#3  Edited By Little_Socrates

It was Capcom, so I hadn't given up, but the premise just didn't seem like something they were gonna pull off. 

Personally, I'm glad it makes my gaming season a little easier, seeing as how the ridiculous number of games coming out between now and March will literally rape my wallet and leave it in the corner crying.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ryanwho

Between this and Bionic Commando, Capcom must feel a bit soured by western devs. On the other hand, these "sources" are nobodies that I've never heard of and there's a good chance "PC Zone" never even fucking played the game. Who sends their shit to PC Zone first? What are the chances PC Zone was sent the copy first, or at the same time but finished a legitimate review long before anyone else? Zero. And the other review is Gamepro, who fucking cares. Don't drink the koolaid so fast, kids.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Binman88
    @ryanwho said:
    " Between this and Bionic Commando, Capcom must feel a bit soured by western devs. On the other hand, these "sources" are nobodies that I've never heard of and there's a good chance "PC Zone" never even fucking played the game. Who sends their shit to PC Zone first? What are the chances PC Zone was sent the copy first, or at the same time but finished a legitimate review long before anyone else? Zero. And the other review is Gamepro, who fucking cares. Don't drink the koolaid so fast, kids. "
    Calm down, kid. PC Zone are one of the most reputable gaming magazines in the UK and Ireland, that's why publishers send their games to them, and that's why people take their opinions seriously. It's very naive to think they aren't popular just because you've never heard of them.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Evilsbane

That really blows I was looking forward to this game it looked good, Oh well : /

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By Atlas

Man, that's a bummer. Listening to the Bombcast crew talking about it, they never really had a bad word to say about what they'd seen from it (except the silly generic name). I expected this game to be nudging around 80 on MetaCritic, possibly higher. Might still be worth a rental, but still disappointing. I'm going to wait for more reviews to start coming in before I dismiss it, but yeah, early signs not looking so good.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By Icemael

Kind of a bummer as the game looked really sweet, but I'm going to look on the bright side of things: This means I have one less Q1 game to worry about.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By get2sammyb

I expected 6 or 7s. It's budget price here in the UK, just £29.99 so I still think it seems worth a look. It always looked rather generic to me though.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10  Edited By Geno
    @Binman88 said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " Between this and Bionic Commando, Capcom must feel a bit soured by western devs. On the other hand, these "sources" are nobodies that I've never heard of and there's a good chance "PC Zone" never even fucking played the game. Who sends their shit to PC Zone first? What are the chances PC Zone was sent the copy first, or at the same time but finished a legitimate review long before anyone else? Zero. And the other review is Gamepro, who fucking cares. Don't drink the koolaid so fast, kids. "
    Calm down, kid. PC Zone are one of the most reputable gaming magazines in the UK and Ireland, that's why publishers send their games to them, and that's why people take their opinions seriously. It's very naive to think they aren't popular just because you've never heard of them. "
    Also, it would be statistically improbable for a quality game's first two published reviews to be a 60 and a 52 from 2 even remotely reputable sources. Borderlands for example (MC 82) had a 60 and a 50, but that was out of 35 reviews. The odds that Dark Void's bad reviews were published first (assuming that it's actually something like an 80+ game) is quite small. 
    CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By CoolDrMoney

The west continues to shit itself for Capcom. The GB crew need to cut themselves off from these guys. That 2008 optimism has gone to shit.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Binman88 said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    Calm down, kid. PC Zone are one of the most reputable gaming magazines in the UK and Ireland, that's why publishers send their games to them, and that's why people take their opinions seriously. It's very naive to think they aren't popular just because you've never heard of them. "
    You are kidding right?  Not that I'm backing up ryanwho's claims (no insult intended ryan), but PC Zone are a bunch of coverdisk mounting retards who never do anything more consistent than promote games.  They scored so many duds way too high and even after fixing their incredibly idiotic scoring system (no logical averaging EVER) they still gave Black and White 94% when other mags were roundly and openly scoring it 10-20% lower.   Occasionally they target a game and rate it low just to balance their constant inflated scores for others, this is probably one those moments.
    RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RiddleBrother
    @Little_Socrates said:
    " It was Capcom, so I hadn't given up, but the premise just didn't seem like something they were gonna pull off. 
    It's funny, I really liked the premise, but I was worried because it was Capcom. I can't think of a single capcom game I've ever liked, with the exception of Okami.
    Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Oriental_Jams

I was hopeful for it, but I was never convinced by the vertical cover thing.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#15  Edited By Soap

I personally couldn't see the appeal of this game from the start, although I was keeping a very watchful eye on it, because I really wanted to like it.

I guess I might of been right all along then, although until more reviews come out or we play it ourselves we can't really be to sure.

Baconator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Baconator

I never quite understood why this game is getting so much attention in the first place. Even with the vertical cover (which looks neat) and the jet pack (which is also neat) it still only looks only alright (obviously bordering on neat), I think. The art style isn't anything special and Tesla doesn't make the game stand out ... really. Maybe this is a bit unfair basing my judgment so early as only a few reviews are out yet. I'm looking forward to reading the tests on the major video game sites and in magazines. I'd be VERY surprised though if this thing get's more then a "sure, I guess it's alright".

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By GunstarRed

i totally see this game as being another Bionic commando, hell that game even advertises Dark void in it... If it has the same amount of gameyness as BC I will be incredibly pleased with it. fingers crossed.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By super_machine

Kind of a let down as I had been interested in this game for a while.  but I am looking forward to the AVP review. I have my fingers crossed.

regnits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By regnits

PC Zone are very harsh with their reviews and Lost Planet on metacritic got a score of 66 and I liked that game. I bet Dark Void will be the same with the scores. 60 - 70 is in the ok range of games so it will be still worth a look. GB will give it 2 or 3 stars I bet.    

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

More like four because they are buddy-buddy with Capcom.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Binman88
    @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Binman88 said:

" @ryanwho said:
    You are kidding right?  Not that I'm backing up ryanwho's claims (no insult intended ryan), but PC Zone are a bunch of coverdisk mounting retards who never do anything more consistent than promote games.  They scored so many duds way too high and even after fixing their incredibly idiotic scoring system (no logical averaging EVER) they still gave Black and White 94% when other mags were roundly and openly scoring it 10-20% lower.   Occasionally they target a game and rate it low just to balance their constant inflated scores for others, this is probably one those moments. "
    No I'm not kidding. I don't subscribe to PC Zone, but I've read a lot of their reviews of games I own and they never seemed unfairly slanted in either way - I get the impression I'm reading an honest opinion from their reviews. Also, I don't get what you mean about Black and White. I had friends that were way into that game when it came out, and a quick look on the internet shows it winning GOTY awards and very high praise from many different publications. Maybe that particular PC Zone reviewer felt the game deserved a 94. Who cares what the other magazines were scoring it?

This isn't really about the score anyway, it's about the comment "A criminal waste of time and energy, as standard and generic a game as you could hope to find." That was enough to make me cancel my preorder and wait for more reviews to see how the game fares, but I've lost a lot of hope in the game.
    Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Kiemoe

It's a bummer when new IP's turn out like this, but I'll keep my hopes up.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@atomic_dumpling said:
    " More like four because they are buddy-buddy with Capcom. "
    That isn't how they operate.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Binman88 said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Binman88 said:

" @ryanwho said:

You are kidding right?  Not that I'm backing up ryanwho's claims (no insult intended ryan), but PC Zone are a bunch of coverdisk mounting retards who never do anything more consistent than promote games.  They scored so many duds way too high and even after fixing their incredibly idiotic scoring system (no logical averaging EVER) they still gave Black and White 94% when other mags were roundly and openly scoring it 10-20% lower.   Occasionally they target a game and rate it low just to balance their constant inflated scores for others, this is probably one those moments. "
    No I'm not kidding. I don't subscribe to PC Zone, but I've read a lot of their reviews of games I own and they never seemed unfairly slanted in either way - I get the impression I'm reading an honest opinion from their reviews. Also, I don't get what you mean about Black and White. I had friends that were way into that game when it came out, and a quick look on the internet shows it winning GOTY awards and very high praise from many different publications. Maybe that particular PC Zone reviewer felt the game deserved a 94. Who cares what the other magazines were scoring it?  This isn't really about the score anyway, it's about the comment "A criminal waste of time and energy, as standard and generic a game as you could hope to find." That was enough to make me cancel my preorder and wait for more reviews to see how the game fares, but I've lost a lot of hope in the game. "
    Well I guess we see things differently then because I've always felt that of all the Future Publishing stablemates they were the lame horse.  Unlike yourself, I have subscribed to magazines from Future Publishing, including Computer Music among others. I've never enjoyed PC Zone's reviews and have found that they either get entirely too enthused to be balanced in their reporting or, as in this example, make wild statements in the negative that are too critical and often reflect a preconceived negativity, as if based on the word coming down from management.   How is a game that hasn't actually been in a long development cycle from a relatively new team (I say relatively because some of them do come from many famous and disparate award winning studios) a 'criminal waste of time and energy"?  Shouldn't that kind of lambasting belong on forums instead of in printed and paid for journalism? It just doesn't seem to be me to be very professional at all. 

The example of Black and White was that in the review they were neither balanced, not mentioning the game's critical failures (as many other publications of the day including EDGE who made a point of the issues regarding the Creature aspect and how poorly it related to the game as a whole), nor did they expose their own connections to Lionhead Studios wherein they published development diaries for the original and its sequel, Black and White II.  Their review of that game was even less professional in that they gave it 93% while other publications were generally far more critical of it, this in the same issue as one of the developer diaries for the game too.  PC Zone are not what I see as a good example of proper game journalism.

Time Extend: Black & White | Edge Online

Lionhead Community - PC ZONE UK magazine review

I find it really annoying that one review which wildly gesticulates a rather baseless claim makes you lose all hope in the product.  It's a sad day for the industry when bad journalism equates to bad sales.
    Avatar image for the_philosopher
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By The_Philosopher

Why is everyone acting like this game sucks when it only has 2 bad reviews? Besides who the fuck are Gamepro and PC Zone UK? I've had way more fun with "shitty" games that get bad reviews like You're in the movies then games with a 90 average like Modern Warfare 2. What I'm trying to say is reviews don't mean much. At least wait until Giant Bomb reviews it or has a Quicklook to judge it.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By rjayb89

Such scathing reviews.

crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By crystalskull2

I will wait for a few more reviews before making my mind.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Binman88
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Binman88 said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Binman88 said:

" @ryanwho said:
    No I'm not kidding. I don't subscribe to PC Zone, but I've read a lot of their reviews of games I own and they never seemed unfairly slanted in either way - I get the impression I'm reading an honest opinion from their reviews. Also, I don't get what you mean about Black and White. I had friends that were way into that game when it came out, and a quick look on the internet shows it winning GOTY awards and very high praise from many different publications. Maybe that particular PC Zone reviewer felt the game deserved a 94. Who cares what the other magazines were scoring it?  This isn't really about the score anyway, it's about the comment "A criminal waste of time and energy, as standard and generic a game as you could hope to find." That was enough to make me cancel my preorder and wait for more reviews to see how the game fares, but I've lost a lot of hope in the game. "
    Well I guess we see things differently then because I've always felt that of all the Future Publishing stablemates they were the lame horse.  Unlike yourself, I have subscribed to magazines from Future Publishing, including Computer Music among others. I've never enjoyed PC Zone's reviews and have found that they either get entirely too enthused to be balanced in their reporting or, as in this example, make wild statements in the negative that are too critical and often reflect a preconceived negativity, as if based on the word coming down from management.   How is a game that hasn't actually been in a long development cycle from a relatively new team (I say relatively because some of them do come from many famous and disparate award winning studios) a 'criminal waste of time and energy"?  Shouldn't that kind of lambasting belong on forums instead of in printed and paid for journalism? It just doesn't seem to be me to be very professional at all. 

The exampled of Black and White was that in the review they were neither balanced, not mentioning the game's critical failures (as many other publications of the day including EDGE who made a point of the issues regarding the Creature aspect and how poorly it related to the game as a whole), nor did they expose their own connections to Lionhead Studios wherein they published development diaries for the original and its sequel, Black and White II. 

Time Extend: Black & White | Edge Online

Lionhead Community - PC ZONE UK magazine review

I find it really annoying that one review which wildly gesticulates a rather baseless claim makes you lose all hope in product.  It's a sad day for the industry when bad journalism equates to bad sales. "
    I haven't lost all hope in the game, but with the amount of games in my back catalogue that I've yet to finish and some promising new titles over the next few months, I'm being a little more picky in my purchases. I actually took the quote to refer to one's time spent with game as a waste, obviously I can't tell for certain what they mean without the context of the written review. Usually I find quotes like that in a review where the reviewer feels let down or disappointed with a game, or even annoyed at some of the things the game does - thats what has put me off.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Binman88

Scans/photos of the PC Zone review: 

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Milkman

Ouch, that's a little unsettling.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheGreatGuero

What the heck is Dark Void? Oh yeah, it's one of those games I never had any interest in. Alright!

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Honestly not very surprised by this..

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By bwooduhs

Dang. I had hopes for this.

jimmy5150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By jimmy5150

yikes.  I never really thought that Dark Void would necessarily be a GOTY 2010 contender, but these are very harsh.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By JJOR64

I had a feeling this game wasn't going to get good reviews.

SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer

I really want it to be good, and I haven't given up on it yet. I want to play it before I judge it, especially since it is made by the Crimson Skies people, and I loved that game.

Even if it is bad, that just means one less game that I will feel compelled to buy in the beginning months of this year.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Binman88
    @SoulEdgeSlayer said:
    "Even if it is bad, that just means one less game that I will feel compelled to buy in the beginning months of this year. "
    Yeah, in a way, I'll kinda be happy if it turns out to be rubbish. Would have been cool to have a decent jet pack game though.
    Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lestater

Seems like their action games are hit or miss.  Bionic Commando and Dark Void seem to blow, but Devil May Cry and Lost Planet are both good.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By cstrang

Oh, man.  Woof.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#40  Edited By sjschmidt93

It's looked like crap from the start. Not too surprising. 

I mean... it has something to do with anal sex, right? So, not that I've experienced it firsthand, but anal sex can't be too good, either?

Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
    vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41  Edited By vibratingdonkey

Giant Bomb shouldn't speak to developers on the podcast.

No but I'm not giving up on this game just because of a couple of early reviews. Thought if more dudes agree with these ones I'll start worrying about it being a dud.

GOREFAST89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GOREFAST89

Well let's not jump the gun on this one just yet.. it's only two reviews as of right now so who knows, later reviews might have completely different stances on this game.
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By L33tfella_H

If you're on the Giant Bombcast, your game will be A Giant....Bomb.

Sorry :<

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By TomA

DAMMIT!!!!!!

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Up to now I watched Dark Void a bit tentatively, not knowing whether it was going to be a hit or a miss. Not that I was overly interested in the game to begin with but this doesn't really bode too well for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Props to the the dude for bashing the UT3 engine. It's fully deserved.

Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Grimace

It's funny how people are defending a game that isn't out yet and by design they haven't even played it.

illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By illmatic19

Awesome, looks like one less game to buy this year. Maybe.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Binman88
    @atomic_dumpling said:
    " Props to the the dude for bashing the UT3 engine. It's fully deserved. "
    Yeah, it doesn't necessarily bother me if developers repeatedly decide to use the same prebuilt engine, as long as they are artistically creative with it, but it's just outdated now and time for a change.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By xyzygy

I'm definitely gonna pick this up when it's used and cheap. The flying looks amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.