Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead or Alive 4

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 29, 2005

The fourth official installment in Team Ninja's Dead or Alive fighting game series is brought to the seventh generation of video game consoles, complete with expanded online gameplay and a hidden crossover with the Halo franchise.

Which game is better, Dead or Alive 4 or Virtua Fighter 5

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Godwind
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By beargirl1

i'm going with DOA4 because i'm biased and plus i've never played Virtua Fighter 5 

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By buzz_clik

I've never played Virtua Fighter 5, but I am quite the DOA fan. Guess what I picked.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By nukesniper

I found DoA4 to be much more fun than Virtua Fighter 5. But that is me. 

The Quest mode in VF5 locks you into one character, and I didn't like that. I don't play either of these games online or competitively, I play around with friends, having a good time and picking different characters for kicks. The fact that DoA4 has the short arcade games, then some extra stuff was more for me. That and I really liked their lobby system online (when it wasn't laggy). I never even tried with the VF5 stuff. 

All that said, VF5 wasn't too bad, I just prefer DoA4.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

VF5 is a really technical and masterful fighting game.  Very very few people can handle playing it and enjoy it.  Think Street Fighter 3 + Blazblue + learning real martial arts.  I can appreciate it at my low level of playing.  I bought a PS3 for it and imported the game if that's any indication of what I think of Virtua Fighter...

DOA4 is OK but it's so reliant on cheap stuff like the parry moves.  Fighting against the AI is annoying because winning just depends on if the AI parries you correctly or not.  Pretty similar for online play.

I vote VF5.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

Play DOA4 if you want a game that's better at delivering eye candy than fighting.  Play VF5 if you want a super-technical, competitive experience and don't care about flash.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Catarrhal

Why do you ask? Although I've played both series extensively, the AI in Dead or Alive 4 is quite unscrupulous; I'd consider that title a low point in the series.

Still, if you're asking which game is more difficult to master, it's always Virtua Fighter. Consider a technique such as the "evading throw escape guard." That's right. It is possible to evade an attack, buffer escapes for multiple throws, and simultaneously guard… all in what appears to be one fast movement. A casual observer would have no idea of this level of hidden complexity; in fact, a majority of people who play Virtua Fighter may never even realize such techniques exist, much less actually be able to execute them (with consistent regularity), but the option is always there.

A lot of people (i.e. Americans) make fun of Virtua Fighter, but the harsh truth of the matter is that they don't understand it. Amongst all the games I've ever played, the Virtua Fighter series is one of the most rewarding. I've been playing since the series' inception, though. You definitely have to put in the time…

kj_maxim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By kj_maxim

Sorry to say this, but I vote for Virtua Fighter 5.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By damodar

VF5 all the way. So deep, so rewarding and fun.

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RavenX302

I have always enjoyed the Dead or Alive series most, but I really think Virtua Fighter is just a better fighter.  And Dead or Alive 3 was much better than 4 in my opinion.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mazik765

DoA4 here. As someone who sucks at fighting games I enjoy the fact that the game is made to be accessible for people like me and have flashy, slick looking moves with limited experience. 

I also LOVE the training mode where it shows you the command, then lets you try it over and over and tells you when you get it right. I would be FAR more attracted to fighting games if more had something like this, but if I'm trying to pull off a move on a command list but I have no idea what it looks like, I often have no idea of whether or not I actually did it.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I think virtual fighter 5 is technically the better game in almost every way, however I had like way more fun with doa games. I like how defensive and counter attacking, also bewbs of doa games, it just has more style.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Chummy8

I S ranked VF5 and still occassionaly get my ass kicked online.   Guess which one I picked. 

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By chronicsmoke

VF5

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By ArcBorealis

VF5, Definetely.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By JJOR64

Speaking of VF5, the new one came out in Japanese arcades like 3 weeks ago.  I wonder how it is.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
    peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Dead or Alive 4.

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm giving to VF5, that series always just felt better to me.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By BabyChooChoo

VF5 hands down. DoA4 is good, but I find it to be more eye candy than anything. It also has a stupidly high barrier of just becoming decent. VF5 is easy to get into, hard to master, but fun the whole damn way through.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Chummy8

VF5 Beats DOA4 it's one better.  

Simple. 

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zityz

I like the DoA series myself. My favorite character is Bayman surprisingly, but yea that game is more about eye candy than technical prowress. However, I couldn't care less about technical fighting in a 3D plane, because for the most part they all move around the game. 

I guess the only real major technical person besides Bayman would be Lei Fang with all her counters she can do.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho

VF5 is a legitimate fighter and DOA is more of a joke than Tekken. Pretty easy question to answer, unless you never played VF5 and still think anyone gives a damn about your opinion.

kj_maxim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kj_maxim
    @baltrush1: Huh? Dead Or Alive 4 doesn't have Yoda and Vader. That was Soul Calibur IV.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.