Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead or Alive

Franchise »

Dead or Alive is a 3D fighting game franchise created by Tomonobu Itagaki. Featuring a unique parry system and a colorful cast of characters, the series has spanned multiple sequels and spin-offs.

Dead or Alive 5 Rumored

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By beargirl1
    Credit to Joystiq.com  

According to a scan of the "Rumour Machine" section of the latest UK Official PlayStation Magazine found on Playstation Lifestyle, Tecmo's flagship fighting franchise, Dead or Alive, could be set for a return for the first time since Tomonobu Itagaki's departure -- and this time, it'll be on PS3. The magazine, which also rehashes some old rumors, claims thatDead or Alive 5 is "in production for PS3," something that doesn't necessarily rule out an Xbox 360 release (a PlayStation magazine would simply have no reason to mention that).

It seems does likely that Team Ninja would want to develop a new DOA. After all, that's the perfect showcase for the studio's latest Jiggle Tech® -- now in triple-D.

The most recent Dead or Alive game to be announced will also be on a Sony platform: the beach minigame collection, DOA: Paradise, which is coming to PSP this spring. Maybe now that Itagaki's out, Tecmo can pursue whatever interest it must have had in publishing DOA on PlayStation -- something that hasn't happened since the Xbox was released.

To be honest, since Itagaki left Team Ninja, and with all of the Team Ninja titles following his departure being on Playstation consoles, I expected this. Hopefully we'll see it on the 360 as well.  

This is something i've waited a long time for. the DOA4 community has slowly died and this is exactly what we need. A new fighting game after five years, rather than bikini beach volleyball games, which are still awesome. 

Your thoughts? 
    TheNakedAnt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By TheNakedAnt

I don't want to play a Dead or Alive game that came from not-Itagaki..

/sadface

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By beargirl1
    @TheNakedAnt said:
    " I don't want to play a Dead or Alive game that came from not-Itagaki..  /sadface "
    welcome to the forums, sir ^^.  
    I had the same thoughts, too. I still love my DOA so I'm still going to support this title even without Itagaki. 
    Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Emandudeguyperson

I'm not sure what to say, except that it will probably fail in comparison to DOA4.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

Personally, my interest in another Dead or Alive has only increased with the absence of Itagaki.  The man is a talented game designer, but some of his preferences and quirks in game design are off-putting.  (And no, I'm not talking about his penchant for overendowed teenagers.)

Strongbadman47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Strongbadman47

" After all, that's the perfect showcase for the studio's latest Jiggle Tech® -- now in triple-D."

More boobs? ALRIGHT!

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pause422

Not super huge into DOA but its been quite a while since I played one, so if a new one came out that would be the thing to get me to play some DOA again. Definitely a little 'eh' at DOA or any Team Ninja game for that matter without Itagaki, but not enough for me to not try them at all or anything like that. Can only see how it turns out.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By beargirl1
    @Hailinel said:
    " Personally, my interest in another Dead or Alive has only increased with the absence of Itagaki.  The man is a talented game designer, but some of his preferences and quirks in game design are off-putting.  (And no, I'm not talking about his penchant for overendowed teenagers.)
    i'm interested in what you're thinking. what design quirks are you going on about? 
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Dany

I'm excited for this! I hope it is...more expansive like the NG series was on the ps3.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hailinel
    @AjayRaz said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " Personally, my interest in another Dead or Alive has only increased with the absence of Itagaki.  The man is a talented game designer, but some of his preferences and quirks in game design are off-putting.  (And no, I'm not talking about his penchant for overendowed teenagers.)
    i'm interested in what you're thinking. what design quirks are you going on about?  "
    His preference to put his games only on what he considers the best hardware available.  His love affair with the Xbox 360 is pretty well known, and he actually insulted the team that worked on Ninja Gaiden Sigma.  His involvement in the DS game Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword was also pretty limited.  That game's production was actually headed by Yosuke Hayashi (also the producer of NGS1&2), the man that was promoted to Team Ninja head after Itagaki left.

Beyond bizarre adherences to console preferences and a willingness to put down his coworkers, for all of his posturing, he didn't actually produce a fighting game that was reasonably accepted in tournament fighting game circles until Dead or Alive 4, and even that game has its issues with the questionable use of things like the zero-frame counter and Alpha-152, one of the most obnoxious bosses in fighting game history that wasn't designed by SNK.

One of the most damning things against him though is that despite seeing the Ninja Gaiden formula refined over three iterations of the original game (Ninja Gaiden, Black, Sigma), Ninja Gaiden II ended up plagued by issues that put off some of the most die hard NG fans out there.  I know of one person in particular who actually logged more than 100 hours in NGS alone and was brutally disappointed in the end product that was NGII.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I wonder if shaking the controller will do the same thing it did in Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2... But yeah, not interested. I like Ninja Gaiden, but I find DOA's semi-misogynistic obsession with massive bouncing boobs to be a little off-putting. Also I'm not a fan of 3D fighters.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By beargirl1
    @Hailinel: interesting. I was curious as to why he switched to the xbox after Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore. Ninja Gaiden Sigma is incredible, and it's kind of disappointing to hear how NGII ended up.  

as for the bosses. they were always punishing in DOA. especially DOA3, where they changed the camera angle which completely crippled me when I played it. I can't say the same about DOA4, since I haven't played it yet. 
    Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Brunchies

Hmm, I never played a dead or Alive game but I'm not a big fan of 3D fighters so I'll probably not be getting this one if the rumor is true.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By apathylad

I wonder if DOA 5 will have the completely out of place Spartan character from Halo.

Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Gump

I HAVEN'T PLAYED A DEAD OR ALIVE GAME SINCE I OWN A SEGA DREAMCAST.
    EVEN IF DEAD OR ALIVE 2 WAS A PERFECT GAME WITH PERFECT GRAPHICS AND PERFECT GAMEPLAY, I HAD ENOUGH WITH THAT.

NO MATTER HOW EXCELLENT DEAD OR ALIVE 2 WAS AND STILL IS, I HAD ENOUGH DEAD OR ALIVE WITH MY SEGA DREAMCAST.
    OKAY, I'M GOING TO PLAY MORE DEAD OR ALIVE 2 BECAUSE THE GAME STILL ROCKS.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By agentboolen

I'd would rather Tecmo not ruin any of Team Ninja's games. But we knew this dark day would eventually come!

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By beargirl1
    @Apathylad said:
    " I wonder if DOA 5 will have the completely out of place Spartan character from Halo. "
    i for sure hope not. that was really weird shit. 

@Gump:
    DOA2 was amazing, but DOA3 improved on it much more. you should really try more. 
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By eroticfishcake

I was never really into fighting games much but I quite liked the first one. Partially because I was messing with all sorts of genres in gaming but mainly because I loved the bouncing tits in it (I was like, 9 when it came out). I did pretty terrible in the rest of the series though. O_o Still, a new DoA? What more could one ask for?

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By apathylad
    @AjayRaz: 

Yeah, especially since that Spartan chick was didn't have the body of Ayane or any of the other DOA girls. XP
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Never liked any of them...

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By beargirl1
    essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By essaregee

IMHO DOA will be the same even without Itagaki, why? - well because the general gameplay formula is so down pat that it's hard to screw it up. 
    What would be new in the game anyway? Sure, a few new players, just like in every DOA, new costumes, new stages, new CG sequences and a new plot that makes no sense. 

In truth the foundation is so secure that I don't think that they can do anything without changing the game entirely to make the game broken. 
    Weather Itagaki is there or not won't make a difference to the game.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @essaregee:

No DOA will not be the same.  It will be either too serious or too ridiculous. No matter what the foundation of the series is, it takes a special kind of creative director to take their vision and make it a reality.

How many great SEGA games have there been without Yu Suzuki at the helm?
    nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nanikore

Why is it called Dead or Alive anyway? it's just busty women kicking each other. 

I know AjayRaz is going to kill me for this.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By beargirl1
    @nanikore said:
    " Why is it called Dead or Alive anyway? it's just busty women kicking each other.   I know AjayRaz is going to kill me for this. "
    to be honest, i don't even know. who cares, though. it's busty women kicking each other. 
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dany

It is because the devs of the first game had no idea if the project was going to go green, so it was either dead or alive.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By 71Ranchero

It will be a sad day if Doa5 is made. I mean I would buy a ps3 just for this game but I will die a little inside. 

I hate the stigma's surrounding Doa. Sure its got some fairly obvious fan service, but if you go into the game only wanting that then you will never actually enjoy it. Doa is only a button masher at low level play, anyone that actually puts some time into it will discover that it has a layer of depth thats entirely different from the other major fighting games.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By eroticfishcake
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By beargirl1
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " @AjayRaz said:
    " @eroticfishcake said:

] What more could one ask for? "

No more bikini beach volleyball games for a while. "
    Weren't you comtemplating wheter or not to buy a copy of DOAX2 a few days ago? "
    the games are awesome, but i want to see a new fighting game. 
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By beargirl1
    @Atramentous said:
    " It will be a sad day if Doa5 is made. I mean I would buy a ps3 just for this game but I will die a little inside.  I hate the stigma's surrounding Doa. Sure its got some fairly obvious fan service, but if you go into the game only wanting that then you will never actually enjoy it. Doa is only a button masher at low level play, anyone that actually puts some time into it will discover that it has a layer of depth thats entirely different from the other major fighting games. "
    I agree 100%. it's the internet though, and people are going to say stupid things. 
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By penguindust

Actually, the idea of a post-Itagaki game excites me.  Let's face it, as much as I love his DOA, I think this could offer a breath of fresh air for the franchise.  Maybe they'll spruce up the graphics which back the day were awesome, but now are tired and plastic looking.  I don't want to see too much of a change to the fighting, though.  One of the things I've always liked about DOA is that like Soul Caliber, it can be button-mashy if you just want some fun.  I'd throw in a "create of character" or mix-and-match costumes into a DOA5, because collectables can be fun.  They must dump the "unlock characters" ,"unlock arenas", and all that basic stuff though.  

The work new Team Ninja is doing on Metroid: Other M has me interested in seeing what they also might bring to a 5th DOA.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Doa games was one of the reasons why I wanted to consider buying a xbox360. I'm a big fan of the series and I used to play the game on the dreamcast at my friends place. Then I bought the ps2 version doa2 hardcore, then itagaki jumped ship. For me thiis is good news.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33  Edited By zyn

I'll check out this new DoA game.  DoA is awesome :)

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ryanwho

But but DOA4 is already a perfect fighter, right? How can they make it better right? lolz

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By beargirl1
    @PenguinDust said:
    .  I'd throw in a "create of character" or mix-and-match costumes into a DOA5, because collectables can be fun.  They must dump the "unlock characters" ,"unlock arenas", and all that basic stuff though.  

sort of like what Tekken 6 had? it could be interesting, and i would love a feature like that, since DOAX2 had it supposedly.  

@HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Doa games was one of the reasons why I wanted to consider buying a xbox360. I'm a big fan of the series and I used to play the game on the dreamcast at my friends place. Then I bought the ps2 version doa2 hardcore, then itagaki jumped ship. For me thiis is good news.

"
    I only bought my 360 for the sole reason of owning DOA4 (which I have not found anywhere yet ><). I'm a huge fan myself ever since I played a bunch of DOA3 at a cousin's house. 
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @ryanwho said:
    " But but DOA4 is already a perfect fighter, right? How can they make it better right? lolz "
    It flows and plays better then 3 but feels kind of stiff at times. But yes, I would consider it the best fighting game I have played. 

I won a Doa4 tourney a few years back at Dayton Lanfest. I play a mean Brad Wong, well I did anyways. I haven't had a 360 in over a year. Kind of sucked that I had to face off against my friend(I trained him to play) in the first round, otherwise we would have prolly been in the finals together.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HitmanAgent47

What about those beach volleyball games or doa extreme? Is the ps3 getting those too? It said it's for psp, how about the ps3? I wouldn't mind buying those games too tbh.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By beargirl1
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

What about those beach volleyball games or doa extreme? Is the ps3 getting those too? It said it's for psp, how about the ps3? I wouldn't mind buying those games too tbh.

"
    no. I've edited most of the DOA Paradise page and from all I know, the only volleyball game that playstation is getting is Dead or Alive: Paradise for the psp. 
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Alexander

It's certainly my favourite fighting franchise. For me it peaked at Dead or Alive: Ultimate. 

Itagaki not being involved doesn't really change my feelings about a DoA 5, but I do miss his interviews and look forward to hear about whatever it is he'll be doing next. 

"I don’t think it even needs saying, but people should stay away from Tekken. Nothing left to say. I just don’t want them to disappoint me any more. It’s so annoying. Please don’t annoy me any more.”    

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By beargirl1
    @Alexander:  
    " It's certainly my favourite fighting franchise. For me it peaked at Dead or Alive: Ultimate. 

totally. my favorite fighting franchise, too and Ultimate was fantastic. Take the best entry in the series, update it graphically, add in 20 or so costumes for each character, pack in new characters and the original DOA, and put them both with online play and you had an amazing package.  

as for Itagaki, i'm gonna miss his sunglasses, but while Itagaki was a very important part of Team Ninja, i'll still want to see where the new team goes with the DOA series. i'm gonna give em a chance. 
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Just fix the damn net code and I might consider getting it.  For me, that's the only important thing in a fighting game next to the actual fighting mechanics and messing any of those two makes it a 'no buy' for me.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#42  Edited By Symphony
    @AjayRaz said:
    " @eroticfishcake said:

] What more could one ask for? "

No more bikini beach volleyball games for a while. "
    As if you're really that bothered by them making games featuring your favorite character of all time in very little clothing. Just look at your current profile pic or your previous one!  :P

While I think the fan-service stuff is silly, at least they've been upfront with it from the getgo, instead of Soul Calibur which has slowly inflated breasts and removed clothing from their characters with each new iteration, making the SC franchise feel like it's whoring itself out.

I will say that DoA4's online functionality was more robust than any other current gen fighting game and it's too bad other games like SF, Tekken, or even BlazBlue didn't learn from DoA4. If 5 came out for the 360 I'd prolly pick it up just because I seem to buy each and every new fighting game that comes out for some stupid reason ><
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hailinel
    @AjayRaz said:
    " @Hailinel: interesting. I was curious as to why he switched to the xbox after Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore. Ninja Gaiden Sigma is incredible, and it's kind of disappointing to hear how NGII ended up.   as for the bosses. they were always punishing in DOA. especially DOA3, where they changed the camera angle which completely crippled me when I played it. I can't say the same about DOA4, since I haven't played it yet.  "
    The DOA3 boss was a poor design choice, plain and simple.  Changing the camera angle that dramatically in a fighting game does just wasn't a good idea and could have easily been avoided.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By beargirl1
    @Symphony said: 
    As if you're really that bothered by them making games featuring your favorite character of all time in very little clothing.
    As much as I love to see Ayane in very little clothing, the fighting games are more significant. Crazy, gigantic breasts and fan service aside, DOA has a very solid fighting engine with a large learning curve (with the whole counter system) and my friends has had much more fun playing Dead or Alive with me than they have with Street Fighter or any other fighting game, because of the well made Tag mode and the combat is super fast and exciting.  

I prefer DOA over Street Fighter any day. ^^ 
    Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By Eelcire
    @Hailinel:  Itagaki is not the only developer to have a preference for platforms; it just isn't cost effective for developers to have this type of stance any longer for this generation due to the higher costs of development. There are advantages to focusing on a single platform, just as there are different advantages to making a multi-platform title.  As far as Ninja Gaiden II is concerned, do not forget that while this game was in production there were numerous internal promblems at Tecmo. This in addition to probable pressure from Microsoft to release the game to counter MGS4 release affected the series; Itagaki traditionally does not release titles until he feels they are ready.

As far as Dead or Alive 5 is concerned I look forward to a new release. Dead or Alive is my favorite fighting franchise (right next to Darkstalkers) with my favorite character <3 Ayane. However, I will also approach the series more slowly due to the game being not being in Itagaki's hands. I was not a fan of Hayashi's changes to Ninja Gaiden Sigma II concerning the gore, but did welcome the added characters. As long as Dead or Alive 5 is released simutaniously to both Xbox 360 and PS3 I will be happy (Still feel shafted at all the goodies in Sigma II). I also hope that the series keeps the same anime-ish visual style, which from reading around many people seem to dislike.
    Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

#46  Edited By Stefan

I want a  " bikini beach volleyball" fighting game (better than rumble roses)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.