Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Rising 2: Case Zero

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Aug 31, 2010

The downloadable prologue to Dead Rising 2 (exclusive to the Xbox 360) gives players a taste of the new "Combo Weapon" mechanic, as Chuck Greene must escape the zombie-infested rural town of Still Creek while preventing his daughter from succumbing to the zombie plague.

woah!

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Vinny_Says

No Caption Provided
    So has capcom, who went first with the whole pre-LC thing, succeeded? Is this model something good or bad? does this then get you excited for stuff like dead space 2 pre-LC?
    I think charging $5 was the best thing they can do. What's the community's view on this new form of content?
    WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By WalkerTR77

I think case zero is excellent, especially because of the inconceivable price point. However, I expect that other developers will lean more towards the "paid demo" end while also pushing the price up to 1200 points.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

It's a fantastic way to service the hype for an upcoming release. Plus with its trial version, too, people can still check it out for no fee to see if it's the game for them.

Legxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Legxend

I really like what the have done actually, comes together in a nice package gives you a nice taste of the gameplay and of the story, it sort of wraps itself up nicely.  Im wanting to get the full game to see how it all pans out, i never finished the first game i got it before i had a HD TV and the small text killed it for me but this got me back into the series.

Do i want to see future stuff like this from other games? maybe..depends on if they keep the quality up and they dont just charge for a demo.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jimbo

Can't really argue with those numbers, but I wonder if it would have been worth making it free in order to drive more sales of the full game.

Also seems like a weird decision to make it 360 exclusive.  If I were to get the full game I'd get it on PC, so not being able to play Case Zero on PC is kinda putting me off the whole thing, because I feel like I'm missing an important part of the game.  I'd wager it's the same for some PS3 players.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SteamPunkJin

All of it is Corporate Hearsay but before Case Zero dropped Inafune said the original plan was to sell it at $10 but they made it $5 so that  more people would buy it, and that the company isn't turning a profit on Case Zero. It DOES depend on the sale, and in a way the -will- profit because it seems to have boosted interest in DR2 Retail.

I think it's silly how many people are crying 'Paid Demo'. It's an Xbox Live Arcade quality game being sold on the Xbox Live Arcade...nothing wrong with that picture.

Edit: Just call it Pre-DLC, Pre-LC sounds weird and when you ration it out means Preloaded Content...not right.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Sooperspy

I was so surprised to see it beat out WOW. It deserves it though. Other companies should do this.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By ProfessorEss

As long as developers do as good a job as Capcom did with Case Zero I'm all for it.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By LegalBagel

I'll be excited if developers take the right lesson from this - make it cheap, make it a separate prologue to the game, not just an opening chapter you chopped out to make money, and put some effort into it.   If all those are true, I'd love to play more prerelease hype DLCs.  $5 for content that stands alone, gives me a taste for a game, and gives me a little bonus for the real game is something I can get behind.

Though I'm a cynic, and I expect within the next year we'll see a game that obviously has a pre-DLC chopped from the real game or a paid demo.  Marketing and business dev people are going to take this as a sign to go crazy with prerelease content.  The same way DLC is a given for any popular game released now, pre-DLC is going to become a given since this was so successful, and some will do terrible things with it to extract money from people.

Heartbreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Heartbreak

I think it's a great idea.

-A trial for people who want to see if this game is for them
    -Something extra for people who like it and need a taste before DR2
    -400 Points, fuck you IW

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @WalkerTR77: 15 dollars is way too much devs are shooting themselves in the foot  
    @Legxend: I also had no interest in dead rising until I played this...good on capcom
    @SteamPunkJin: A demo usually has levels that are in the retail game...from what I know still creek doesn't even appear in DR2...also demos don't have achievements and the ability to level up into the main game...
    Horry43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Horry43

I love the concept of PreLC but only if the price point remains low. Another huge benefit that Case Zero has is the promise of carrying over stats. I could easily see another company trying this but without having a beneficial carry over and it not being as successful or enticing for the fan base to play. 

Imagine Mass Effect 3 PreLC! Something that would allow you to import your Sheppard and partake in a pre-cannon mission where you could bring back weapons and such to the retail release. Can anyone honestly say that they wouldn't want that?

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By face15

As long as prices stay at $5 for future games that follow this trend then I'm happy; though somehow I can't see that happening. 

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By matti00

I think developers need to pay attention to the idea of developing it like standalone DLC.
    If 4 hours worth of preLC was released before a game I was excited about, and at £4 no less, 9 times out of 10 I will jump right in. It is an effective way to build hype, win over people who are on the fence, and garner good favour.

MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By MrCandleguy

I liked case Zero, but i honestly dont think i will buy Dead rising 2, because there is some gameplay things I just cant understand as to why they are there.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan
    @AmonHouston said:
    "I liked case Zero, but i honestly dont think i will buy Dead rising 2, because there is some gameplay things I just cant understand as to why they are there. "

I'm with you on that. On topic though, it was a super-smart decision on capcoms behafe.  I still won't be buying the full retail game but i'm much more curious about it now.
    mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mattbosten

In a game such as DR2 PreLC works due to the nature of the game. I think the 400MSP price was a very good idea, drums up interest for DR2 and is a great marketing tool. Shame it was 360 exclusive so not everyone will get to play it. As long as PreLC continues to deliver at least the same level of quality as DR2:C0 for a similar price I'm all for it.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nekroskop

Play the Dead RIsing 1 demo, then play Case Zero and tell me that Case Zero is just a demo

runk3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By runk3n

As long as its more than a demo, or at least feels like a small game I think its ok to charge for it. Especially at this price. But I would like to see it on more than one platform. I feel sorry for those with just a PS3 that they've been left out.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By RichardLOlson

I liked Case Zero, but I do feel it is just a demo.  But the ability to take your upgrades into the full retail game is a cool idea.

McDunkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By McDunkin

Considering that the original Dead Rising came out over four years ago and last I looked nobody was yelling for a sequel this seems like a great way to get people to know just what the hell this game is.  The way it does saves and handles player death was really off putting to some people in the original so I think this will help a lot with people new to the series.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.