Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

What'd you think of the story? ***SPOILERS***

• 104 results
    GiantGUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By GiantGUS

About the Dead Space: Downfall, it doesn't answer anything about the end of the game I believe.
    I watched it yesterday at a local press event for Dead Space and it is a simple introduction story, some peeps from the ship fighting the necromorphs and (SPOILERS: dying).

It was a really bad movie actually and I don't believe you'll find any clues in it, but I still have not finished the game, so: WHO KNOWS?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By jakob187

I'm really just hoping to see if it talks about Mercer, Nicole, or Klein at all in any form...specifically Nicole.

Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By Wolswor

Ya know, after playing through it for the third time, there is still one part that confuses the hell out of me.  When you first fight the brute, and you go up the third floor of the elevator there is a human on the opposite side, he says "make us whole again" and stands there for like 4 seconds before running away.  You can shoot him but he never falls down or dies.  The only other person that said this was Nicole, and I figured that was because Issac knew her the most and the Hive mind figured she would have the biggest effect on him, but who the hell is the random guy?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Milkman

I think you guys are giving the story a lot more credit than it deserves. Don't get me wrong, I love Dead Space. A lot. But the overall story wasn't too great but not to say it was bad either. It was a pretty standard alien sci-fi storyline if you ask me. Though, I do definitely disagree that this was not a cliffhanger. Even though EA said that Dead Space 2 is coming, Issac is most definitely dead. I think he needed to die because that was just the kind of game Dead Space was. It was dark, scary, depressing and all these other things. There was no way that Issac could just go home. I knew he was dead from the start.

Also, please don't compare BioShock's story to Dead Space's story. BioShock story>>>>>>>>>>>>Dead Space story

LAMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By LAMP
    TheSolution said:
    "Did anyone else get the text log that labels the marker "3A"? The first marker was found on Earth, where is the other one?"
    Mars. That's the one that Altman was trying to uncover that got him killed by the government, setting up the basis for Unitology.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By jakob187
    Milkman said:
    "I think you guys are giving the story a lot more credit than it deserves. Don't get me wrong, I love Dead Space. A lot. But the overall story wasn't too great but not to say it was bad either. It was a pretty standard alien sci-fi storyline if you ask me. Though, I do definitely disagree that this was not a cliffhanger. Even though EA said that Dead Space 2 is coming, Issac is most definitely dead. I think he needed to die because that was just the kind of game Dead Space was. It was dark, scary, depressing and all these other things. There was no way that Issac could just go home. I knew he was dead from the start.

Also, please don't compare BioShock's story to Dead Space's story. BioShock story>>>>>>>>>>>>Dead Space story"
    I'm sorry, but I can't agree on that.  The Bioshock story was good, but I still think the twist was something that could be seen from 100 miles away and the overall way it unfolded was too minimalistic.  Meanwhile, Dead Space was just dead on with everything it needed to present, and the twists were relatively fresh in a genre filled with too many cliches.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Milkman
    jakob187 said:
    "Milkman said:
    "I think you guys are giving the story a lot more credit than it deserves. Don't get me wrong, I love Dead Space. A lot. But the overall story wasn't too great but not to say it was bad either. It was a pretty standard alien sci-fi storyline if you ask me. Though, I do definitely disagree that this was not a cliffhanger. Even though EA said that Dead Space 2 is coming, Issac is most definitely dead. I think he needed to die because that was just the kind of game Dead Space was. It was dark, scary, depressing and all these other things. There was no way that Issac could just go home. I knew he was dead from the start.

Also, please don't compare BioShock's story to Dead Space's story. BioShock story>>>>>>>>>>>>Dead Space story"
    I'm sorry, but I can't agree on that.  The Bioshock story was good, but I still think the twist was something that could be seen from 100 miles away and the overall way it unfolded was too minimalistic.  Meanwhile, Dead Space was just dead on with everything it needed to present, and the twists were relatively fresh in a genre filled with too many cliches."
    I had the exact same feelings about Dead Space. I could definitely could tell that there was something up with Kendra from her constant "Damn, we lost Hammond's signal AGAIN" every 10 minutes. Although I admit that Nicole twist caught me a bit off guard, although I knew something was up once she just appeared behind the Marker. Though once again, it was a fine story, just nothing special.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By jakob187
    Milkman said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Milkman said:

I'm sorry, but I can't agree on that.  The Bioshock story was good, but I still think the twist was something that could be seen from 100 miles away and the overall way it unfolded was too minimalistic.  Meanwhile, Dead Space was just dead on with everything it needed to present, and the twists were relatively fresh in a genre filled with too many cliches."
    I had the exact same feelings about Dead Space. I could definitely could tell that there was something up with Kendra from her constant "Damn, we lost Hammond's signal AGAIN" every 10 minutes. Although I admit that Nicole twist caught me a bit off guard, although I knew something was up once she just appeared behind the Marker. Though once again, it was a fine story, just nothing special."
    After my first playthrough, it was pretty obvious that Kendra was the betrayer and Hammond was the "innocent", but the first time through, I was very much under the belief that Hammond was the bad guy.  It was the tone, the way he denied all this shit being brought up...but during my second playthrough, it was that "ooooooh, gotcha" factor that made me realize how narrow-minded I was being about it all.  I think, however, that Kendra's betrayal and such was played off quite a bit better then Andrew Ryan's betrayal.  The thing is, though, that the story's are ridiculously similar.

Crazy doc?  Check.
    Betrayer leading you along?  Check.
    Hydroponics stuff?  Check.
    Brutes/Big Daddies?  Check.
    Audio logs?  Check.
    Story of what's going on in-game as well as what happened to this fucked-up playground you are in?  Check.

It's all EXTREMELY similar.  The only thing is that Dead Space has Nicole.  That's where it got me.  It hit with the love story, but it didn't pound it into your head.  It just did it.  Then you get the ending, and it makes you ask all these questions about HER.  I don't think there are many other questions except about Nicole.

That's the part that keeps me going back to the game and playing through it a million times:  I want to find out what the damn deal is with Nicole.  If there were any cliffhanger, it's that you don't know everything about Nicole.

Nicole, Nicole, Nicole, Nicole.  That's what Dead Space has become to me:  a search for the answers about her.  That's why I'm hoping that there's something explained in Downfall, because if not, it's going to take forever for me to get closure.  They never once specifically say "yes, it's really her" or "it's a vision from the Marker leading you along" or "you're crazy".  I mean, Kendra says you are demented, but then again, isn't she demented in her own right?

I'm digging too hard again.  Need to play more Dead Space.  Unfortunately, I've been rockin' some Dead Rising...because it's that time of year, ya know.  = D
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Milkman
    jakob187 said:
    "Milkman said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Milkman said:

I had the exact same feelings about Dead Space. I could definitely could tell that there was something up with Kendra from her constant "Damn, we lost Hammond's signal AGAIN" every 10 minutes. Although I admit that Nicole twist caught me a bit off guard, although I knew something was up once she just appeared behind the Marker. Though once again, it was a fine story, just nothing special."
    After my first playthrough, it was pretty obvious that Kendra was the betrayer and Hammond was the "innocent", but the first time through, I was very much under the belief that Hammond was the bad guy.  It was the tone, the way he denied all this shit being brought up...but during my second playthrough, it was that "ooooooh, gotcha" factor that made me realize how narrow-minded I was being about it all.  I think, however, that Kendra's betrayal and such was played off quite a bit better then Andrew Ryan's betrayal.  The thing is, though, that the story's are ridiculously similar.

Crazy doc?  Check.
    Betrayer leading you along?  Check.
    Hydroponics stuff?  Check.
    Brutes/Big Daddies?  Check.
    Audio logs?  Check.
    Story of what's going on in-game as well as what happened to this fucked-up playground you are in?  Check.

It's all EXTREMELY similar.  The only thing is that Dead Space has Nicole.  That's where it got me.  It hit with the love story, but it didn't pound it into your head.  It just did it.  Then you get the ending, and it makes you ask all these questions about HER.  I don't think there are many other questions except about Nicole.

That's the part that keeps me going back to the game and playing through it a million times:  I want to find out what the damn deal is with Nicole.  If there were any cliffhanger, it's that you don't know everything about Nicole.

Nicole, Nicole, Nicole, Nicole.  That's what Dead Space has become to me:  a search for the answers about her.  That's why I'm hoping that there's something explained in Downfall, because if not, it's going to take forever for me to get closure.  They never once specifically say "yes, it's really her" or "it's a vision from the Marker leading you along" or "you're crazy".  I mean, Kendra says you are demented, but then again, isn't she demented in her own right?

I'm digging too hard again.  Need to play more Dead Space.  Unfortunately, I've been rockin' some Dead Rising...because it's that time of year, ya know.  = D
    "
    Honestly, I think you're reading too much into the Nicole thing. To me, it was pretty simple. Issac suffered from the same dementia that was going on with mostly all the crew members on the Ishimura, as a result he thought he saw Nicole throughout the game. As the actual ending, I think that was a just a bit of irony that the developers decided to throw into the game to just top off the depressing and dark nature of the game. The one person you truly cared about saving is the one who kills you in the end. Maybe, I'm just seeing the story in black & white but I'm usually not the one who is analyzing endings. It's not really my thing. But, hey, more power to you.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By jakob187
    Milkman said:
    "Honestly, I think you're reading too much into the Nicole thing. To me, it was pretty simple. Issac suffered from the same dementia that was going on with mostly all the crew members on the Ishimura, as a result he thought he saw Nicole throughout the game. As the actual ending, I think that was a just a bit of irony that the developers decided to throw into the game to just top off the depressing and dark nature of the game. The one person you truly cared about saving is the one who kills you in the end. Maybe, I'm just seeing the story in black & white but I'm usually not the one who is analyzing endings. It's not really my thing. But, hey, more power to you."
    But that's the grand question...WHERE DID NICOLE COME FROM?!  lol
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Demilich

So I just finished the game. Call me crazy, but I thought the story, while having numerous similarities, was more captivating than Bioshocks. The one moment that truly stood out was when Kendra killed the doctor, taking off with my shuttle. It was pretty devastating, a lot to take in. I felt bad, because I didn't really trust the guy, then angry because she stabbed me in the back, then the sense of doom set in, not having a ship and all...

This is probably the best game I've played all year. That's saying a lot since I'm gay for Solid Snake.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By super_machine

I beat it on hard last night and got the same ending. The chick jumps issac then it cuts to the credits. I think the boss fight at the end and what you learn about the unitologists is enough to warrant a cliff hanger ending. I was satisfied with what the story revealed and how the game played that I was just glad I got through it.

A few things I hope the next games cover. Why the unitology church was making the marker on the colony. The "Mosoleum ships" that make up the unitologists secret fleet. Where is the original marker.  And Issac's past - His father is supposed to be a hot shot star ship designer who disapeared with a classified background.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By AuthenticM

The story was awesome.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By zitosilva

Okay, I posted this on another topic but I'll put here as well.

About Nicole. Doesn't that doctor that get killed says that the Hive Mind controls all the Necromorphs? If that's the case he would be controling Nicole to a certain degree. Also the Hive Mind wanted the Marker to go back to planet, which was the oposite that the evil doctor and all cientology dudes wished. They wanted to take it back to earth.
    So the Hive Mind controlled Nicole's body to use Isaac to get the Marker back to the planet. I'm pretty sure Nicole is part of the Hive Mind because she keeps repeating "make as whole again", which I think refers to the Hive Mind being together with the Marker. Once Kendra screws everything up the Hive Mind gets pissed and decides to attack you too. And maybe controlling the remains of Nicole to finally finish him when he thinks he's safe.

What least that's how logicaly I can make it out. But to be honest I think it's just an end that has no explanation.  Like most horros movies that make something in the last ten seconds to kill everyone off.

Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Wolswor
    Milkman said:
    Honestly, I think you're reading too much into the Nicole thing. To me, it was pretty simple. Issac suffered from the same dementia that was going on with mostly all the crew members on the Ishimura, as a result he thought he saw Nicole throughout the game. As the actual ending, I think that was a just a bit of irony that the developers decided to throw into the game to just top off the depressing and dark nature of the game. The one person you truly cared about saving is the one who kills you in the end. Maybe, I'm just seeing the story in black & white but I'm usually not the one who is analyzing endings. It's not really my thing. But, hey, more power to you."
         If Nicole was just dementia then how did she open the door in the mining bay?  Also, if she wasn't real then how did she sit at the computer terminal and tell you to take back the ship all the while punching controls.  I belive she also flew the ship down to the colony, and if Nicole was in fact a necromorph then that means that she was on the ship the entire time and from what we have seen necromorphs don't think "hmmm...I think i'll wait 5 minutes to attack."  Also how else did the locked door in the ship open after Issac killed the Hive Mind?  There's too many scenarios where Nicole had to be necessary to simply discount her as a case of dementia except for the necromorph form in the end.
          I think that Nicole was being controlled by the Hive Mind to get Issac to put the marker back in place and when the Hive Mind died, Nicole was just a normal crazy necromorph, not disguised and not being told to hold back.  Unfortunatley that raises the question, can the Hive Mind read minds as well?  And if so, it must also be able to disguise some necromorphs as regular people(albiet a bit mutated looking)
          On the subject of Bioshock, I felt everyyhing in Bioshock was too fake.  the ending was just plain boring as hell, I know Dead Space's bosses suck in terms of difficulty too but at least they look exciting.  The cinematics at the end of Bioshock were just "meh" quality as well.  This comes from someone who loves horror games though so I don't know if my complaints aren't a tad bit biased.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By jakob187
    zitosilva said:
    "I'm pretty sure Nicole is part of the Hive Mind because she keeps repeating "make as whole again", which I think refers to the Hive Mind being together with the Marker."
    Dr. Klein also happens to keep repeating "make us whole again", but from what I know, he hasn't died at all.  On top of which, I believe that Nicole was saying that before she died, but I don't have any confirmation of that (and without seeing Downfall yet and I haven't touched the game since Fallout 3 hit, I don't see that answer coming anytime soon).
    Needless to say, just by seeing that this thread continues to go, there is OBVIOUSLY more to this story that people want elaborated.  I'm just hoping that when EA DOES decide to elaborate, they do it with these steps in mind:

1.  Don't bring back Isaac.  Leave him dead.  Have someone new start the next game off.
    2.  Don't cop out by showing off everything and making it "grand" and "epic".  Pitch Black was a fantastic movie because of the mystery behind the character of Riddick, and then after that, they showed all their cards...which weakened the franchise considerably.
    3.  Don't stop making high-quality products.  = D
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By zitosilva
    jakob187 said:
    "zitosilva said:
    "I'm pretty sure Nicole is part of the Hive Mind because she keeps repeating "make as whole again", which I think refers to the Hive Mind being together with the Marker."
    Dr. Klein also happens to keep repeating "make us whole again", but from what I know, he hasn't died at all.  On top of which, I believe that Nicole was saying that before she died, but I don't have any confirmation of that (and without seeing Downfall yet and I haven't touched the game since Fallout 3 hit, I don't see that answer coming anytime soon).
    Needless to say, just by seeing that this thread continues to go, there is OBVIOUSLY more to this story that people want elaborated.  I'm just hoping that when EA DOES decide to elaborate, they do it with these steps in mind:

1.  Don't bring back Isaac.  Leave him dead.  Have someone new start the next game off.
    2.  Don't cop out by showing off everything and making it "grand" and "epic".  Pitch Black was a fantastic movie because of the mystery behind the character of Riddick, and then after that, they showed all their cards...which weakened the franchise considerably.
    3.  Don't stop making high-quality products.  = D
    "
    I hadn't thought of that. Which brings to something that I had also not thought about; what is that Alice (was this the name?) that he keeps refering to?

If the game had just ended the way it did, then I'd agree to leave Isaac dead. But with the logs we get once we beat the game I guess it's likely he'll show up again. With his father probably doing something agains the Scientologists and his mother being very devout and all... there's a good conflict to be explored here, at least that's what I think.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By jakob187

Wait....wait....whoa....what the hell are you talking about with this "logs after you beat the game" thing?  I don't remember any logs...

...or did I yet again miss something?  -_-  Dammit, I'm gonna have to drop Fallout 3 for a couple days, ain't I?  Because I don't remember anything about Isaac's FATHER being mentioned...
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By zitosilva
    jakob187 said:
    "Wait....wait....whoa....what the hell are you talking about with this "logs after you beat the game" thing?  I don't remember any logs...
    ...or did I yet again miss something?  -_-  Dammit, I'm gonna have to drop Fallout 3 for a couple days, ain't I?  Because I don't remember anything about Isaac's FATHER being mentioned...
    "
    You receive some new info after you beat the game, maybe 4 or 5 logs. Some of then talk about the process of recreating the marker. One of them is a scientist report on a corpse becoming a Necromorph. And then there's one that is a report sent to Hammond. Before the mission he requested a briefing of the people that would acompany him on the mission. There you can read a little of Isaac's background, about his parents and things like this. They are very interesting to those of us who liked the game's story.
    Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#70  Edited By Green_Incarnate

I'm gonna say Nicole was a necromorph being controlled by the marker. She only looked normal because Isaac was hallucinating. As soon as Isaac realized he was going crazy, (the very end in the ship) he turned off the display of Nicole. The marker then allowed Nicole to kill him, because he stopped following orders.

GmLx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By GmLx

I was thinking the same thing, that she cant be a projection of issacs dimentia/insanity/whatever beacuse she does physically does things in the game. You have to protect her when she unlocks that door for you, and then theres the whole recalling of the stolen shuttle... Unless Issac done all of those things and, due to his mental instability, we see nicole doing them.? 

GmLx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By GmLx
    Cogito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Cogito

Assuming some things, the sequel could still happen WITH Issac dead, the could just use a new main character and say "Blah Blah Blah, some ship went where Issac's escape pod crashed and those two necromorphs spread to a whole other ship, and maybe that hip landed at a colony or something, so it's pretty easy to make a sequel without the main character from the first game, and it's been done a lot of time too.

GmLx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By GmLx
    Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#75  Edited By Sarnecki

Issac is NOT dead.  Nicole was a hallucination caused by the marker.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By jakob187

I'm still saying Nicole was a physical entity.  There's no reason for me to believe otherwise.

I still haven't seen Downfall, so I have no clue if it holds any backstory for Nicole.  I'll probably pick it up sometime this week and find out what I can.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Demilich
    Sarnecki said:
    "Issac is NOT dead.  Nicole was a hallucination caused by the marker."
    The hallucinations he had of her on the ship are well explained, but there's no reason to think she wasn't real when she attacked him. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it fits.
    Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Sarnecki

A)  Necromorphs carry no actually physical resemblance to their host bodies.  Not once in the game is that evident, except for the ending.  They also never appear as humanoid as Nicole is.

B) Nicole, specifically throughout the end of the game comes and goes as she pleases, once even literally appearing from behind the Marker, seemingly out of mid air.  As if she doesn't actually exist.  The doctor kept speaking of a dead loved one he kept seeing.  There's a reason you're the only one who sees Nicole. 

C) The runes on the digital screen near the end are directly from the Marker.  They also can be seen in the final scene when Nicole attacks you.  The marker is pissed, you failed it.

D) Nicoles body happens to be chilling out on the shuttle?  It's much more plausible that the marker was pissed at Issac.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#79  Edited By PufferFiz
    Sarnecki said:
    "A)  Necromorphs carry no actually physical resemblance to their host bodies.  Not once in the game is that evident, except for the ending.  They also never appear as humanoid as Nicole is.

B) Nicole, specifically throughout the end of the game comes and goes as she pleases, once even literally appearing from behind the Marker, seemingly out of mid air.  As if she doesn't actually exist.  The doctor kept speaking of a dead loved one he kept seeing.  There's a reason you're the only one who sees Nicole. 

C) The runes on the digital screen near the end are directly from the Marker.  They also can be seen in the final scene when Nicole attacks you.  The marker is pissed, you failed it.

D) Nicoles body happens to be chilling out on the shuttle?  It's much more plausible that the marker was pissed at Issac.

"
    E) When she jumps at him issac puts his hands up and she does not go down on you (lol) the frame freezes at that time but the camera zooms in and all that crap on the screen makes it look like she was actually on you.

a second would be better with him i think.
    GmLx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By GmLx
    Carlsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Carlsen

The story is bad.. the directing, cutscenes.. It really was the worst part of the game. I like the action, visuals, and audio..

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By HandsomeDead

The story is utter garbage. Too much effort spent on stealing ideas from other franchises than developing their own. The stuff with Nicole was terrible and made absolutely no sense not to mention how dire the stuff with Kendra and Hammond was. Also, was there any mention of how Mercer and the rest were just mooching round the ship on their own while you had to kill all kinds of creatures and sort out locks?

Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Wolswor
    HandsomeDead said:
    "The story is utter garbage. Too much effort spent on stealing ideas from other franchises than developing their own. The stuff with Nicole was terrible and made absolutely no sense not to mention how dire the stuff with Kendra and Hammond was. Also, was there any mention of how Mercer and the rest were just mooching round the ship on their own while you had to kill all kinds of creatures and sort out locks?"
    What?  Tell me then, name a game with a good story, I can guarantee I can point out "LOLSTOLEN IDEA RIGHT THAR"  How was the stuff with nicole terrible?  It actually developed a sense of mystery and made the players think what the hell is going on.  Sorry the game didn't present a big "YOU WIN!!!" sign at the end of the game and blow balloons all over the screen.  By the way, maybe Mercer and Klein just got lucky?  Or locked themselves into certain areas, if you watch Downfall you see that the necromorphs are pretty dumb, there a few times when people just walk by them without being seen.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Wolswor said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "The story is utter garbage. Too much effort spent on stealing ideas from other franchises than developing their own. The stuff with Nicole was terrible and made absolutely no sense not to mention how dire the stuff with Kendra and Hammond was. Also, was there any mention of how Mercer and the rest were just mooching round the ship on their own while you had to kill all kinds of creatures and sort out locks?"
    What?  Tell me then, name a game with a good story, I can guarantee I can point out "LOLSTOLEN IDEA RIGHT THAR"  How was the stuff with nicole terrible?  It actually developed a sense of mystery and made the players think what the hell is going on.  Sorry the game didn't present a big "YOU WIN!!!" sign at the end of the game and blow balloons all over the screen.  By the way, maybe Mercer and Klein just got lucky?  Or locked themselves into certain areas, if you watch Downfall you see that the necromorphs are pretty dumb, there a few times when people just walk by them without being seen."
    Of course, people lend ideas from elsewhere, but usually there's some coherence to the story. This was a mish-mash of Event Horizon, Alien and The Thing. It developed a sense of mystery in the same way Lost does: It gives little reasoning and instead just drops you into increasingly bizarre and poorly thought out scenarios then ends without any kind of explanation. If that's a mystery to you, then you're a fool. And the stuff with Nicole was awful. She's an apparition, so how did she open all those doors and stuff? It makes no sense, oh, my mistake. That's a mystery!

By the way, there's an army of aliens terrorising the shit out of a spaceship, locking down doors, destroying life support systems and you think Mercer and Klein could just 'get lucky'? These creatures are meant to be a threat and yet two civilians just make their way from deck to deck unharmed while a ship full of Marines got destroyed and your crew got savaged. Yeah, that's the only real mystery of the game.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By jakob187

Well, given that Mercer was trying to actually advance the Necromorph race - had you actually been paying any attention when the Necromorph that kills him doesn't just go ballistic the minute it sees him - then that would tell me that the Marker which is communicating with the Necromorphs is easily saying "hey, don't fuck with this dood".  As for Klein, why would the Marker want to attack him?  He's trying to HELP Isaac get the Marker back to Aegis 7, which is the whole reason the marker hasn't outright killed Isaac yet.  Before you start claiming that to be a double standard, remember that Isaac's mission from the get-go was to see what the hell went wrong, and then it turns into Kendra, Hammond, and him needing to get off the Ishimura...so not until the very end was his purpose to get the Marker back on the planet.  Now, that doesn't explain the ending parts on Aegis 7 where the quarantines lock down and you end up fighting a bajillion Necromorphs...other than the fact that Kendra could've easily been spying away somewhere in there and it was recognizing her and shit.  I don't know, that's digging like crazy, but given that Kendra is a step away from you at all times (how else did she end up at the Marker when you were stepping into the decontamination chamber), it's not out of plausibility.

As for saying the story is like Lost...I can't even agree in the slightest on that, as I'm an avid hater of Lost.  The stuff thrown here isn't random.  It's part of a bigger puzzle.  Given that they are making Dead Space a multimedia...dare I say...phenomenon (we all know we were ridiculously surprised by the reviews for the game, as well as the reaction it has received)...it's easy to see that they don't need to show all their cards before the river comes up...so to speak.

Again, I point to Pitch Black as an example.  That movie was awesome, and it was because they gave you JUST ENOUGH instead of too much.  Meanwhile, the subsequent multimedia frenzy ended up giving up too much:  Riddick's Furyan roots and the true origins of the shinejob on his eyeballs, what happened to Jack after Pitch Black, the whole Underverse setup, and so much more.  It was way too much for what was a movie built on mystery.  Dead Space feels a lot like Pitch Black.  There is a lot going on here, but they aren't spewing everything out...and they don't need to.  As you can see, the story ALONE has led to a thread on Giant Bomb that is closing in on 1,000 views, which for most threads is an extreme rarity.  Therefore, there is something here...and I can almost guarantee what is going on here is far bigger than what went on for Bioshock.

The story is a rip-off?  What isn't anymore?  The thing is that we KNOW this story is a rip-off.  There's no denying that. Event Horizon, Alien, and The Thing (The Thing is pretty much only in design of creatures I would say, because this doesn't have the same kind of suspense as that)...I would say those are all viable references...and if I were making a game, I would definitely want to look towards the pedigree of those films in order to make a game.  I mean, you say it like it's a bad thing, but I love all three of those movies...so if someone can do a good job in an interactive experience with influence from those, then I'm all for it!!!  The game also borrows heavily from Bioshock, Doom 3, Resident Evil 4, and a slew of other titles...and again, if I was going to steal from something, I would definitely want it to be from high quality titles like that.

So what if the game is a rip-off?  It's a rip-off enough to notice the influences...the same way a Tarantino flick is a rip-off...but it does all of it extremely well.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By HandsomeDead
    jakob187 said:
    "As for saying the story is like Lost...I can't even agree in the slightest on that, as I'm an avid hater of Lost.  The stuff thrown here isn't random.  It's part of a bigger puzzle.  Given that they are making Dead Space a multimedia...dare I say...phenomenon (we all know we were ridiculously surprised by the reviews for the game, as well as the reaction it has received)...it's easy to see that they don't need to show all their cards before the river comes up...so to speak.

The story is a rip-off?  What isn't anymore?  The thing is that we KNOW this story is a rip-off.  There's no denying that. Event Horizon, Alien, and The Thing (The Thing is pretty much only in design of creatures I would say, because this doesn't have the same kind of suspense as that)...I would say those are all viable references...and if I were making a game, I would definitely want to look towards the pedigree of those films in order to make a game.  I mean, you say it like it's a bad thing, but I love all three of those movies...so if someone can do a good job in an interactive experience with influence from those, then I'm all for it!!!  The game also borrows heavily from Bioshock, Doom 3, Resident Evil 4, and a slew of other titles...and again, if I was going to steal from something, I would definitely want it to be from high quality titles like that.

So what if the game is a rip-off?  It's a rip-off enough to notice the influences...the same way a Tarantino flick is a rip-off...but it does all of it extremely well."
    The thing is, the concepts mentioned in those two paragraphs are what stops it from being good. Had they just come out with it being a stright forward schlocky action-horror with references taken from everywhere, then fine, but trying ot make it more than it is by introducing some half-arsed mystery into it just kills that mood completely. Like you say with Tarantino, no matter how good you may think his films are, they're all derivative of his sources and at least he knows that. This doesn't so it comes across like a blown opportunity.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By jakob187
    HandsomeDead said:
    "The thing is, the concepts mentioned in those two paragraphs are what stops it from being good. Had they just come out with it being a stright forward schlocky action-horror with references taken from everywhere, then fine, but trying ot make it more than it is by introducing some half-arsed mystery into it just kills that mood completely. Like you say with Tarantino, no matter how good you may think his films are, they're all derivative of his sources and at least he knows that. This doesn't so it comes across like a blown opportunity."
    Yeah, but Tarantino sucks ass.  lol
    I mean, I totally get what you are saying.  I also understand that it's a minority opinion, however.  But it's cool that someone else has something to add to the thread rather than the same ol', same ol'.  We can always rely on you for that, Handsome.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By HandsomeDead
    jakob187 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "The thing is, the concepts mentioned in those two paragraphs are what stops it from being good. Had they just come out with it being a stright forward schlocky action-horror with references taken from everywhere, then fine, but trying ot make it more than it is by introducing some half-arsed mystery into it just kills that mood completely. Like you say with Tarantino, no matter how good you may think his films are, they're all derivative of his sources and at least he knows that. This doesn't so it comes across like a blown opportunity."
    Yeah, but Tarantino sucks ass.  lol
    I mean, I totally get what you are saying.  I also understand that it's a minority opinion, however.  But it's cool that someone else has something to add to the thread rather than the same ol', same ol'.  We can always rely on you for that, Handsome.
    "
    I'm so glad you hate him too! But yeah, I'm not saying i'm right, you're wrong or vice versa. And thanks! Normally I just get branded as a troll.
    Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Sarnecki

It's not that the story ripping off other material is bad.  I mean marker = 2001's monolith to the power of ten...

The story problems come where it's needlessly complicated.  It's confusing and convoluted in a bad way.  A game like this doesn't need this kind of cryptic story, and frankly it didn't pull it off.  At least LOST is answering questions left and right these days.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By jakob187
    Sarnecki said:
    "It's not that the story ripping off other material is bad.  I mean marker = 2001's monolith to the power of ten...

The story problems come where it's needlessly complicated.  It's confusing and convoluted in a bad way.  A game like this doesn't need this kind of cryptic story, and frankly it didn't pull it off.  At least LOST is answering questions left and right these days."
    The game just came out, and you want to compare it to a 5 season long show?!  Seriously?  The story is just starting, and everyone already wants it to be over and done with?  FUCK THAT!!!  I WANT convoluted and confusing.  It has us asking questions and wanting more!!!  That's kind of the POINT of it all, isn't it?
    Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Sarnecki

Are you seriously telling me that I'm expected to wait about five or six years for this story to fit together?  LOST never confuses you, it leaves you with clear questions about what's happening.  Dead Space leaves tons of questions unanswered.   This game is an original IP!  A stand alone video game!  It's not LOST at all, which is why it's expected that I at least have a clear idea of what just happened by the end, even if all my questions aren't answered.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Sarnecki said:
    "Are you seriously telling me that I'm expected to wait about five or six years for this story to fit together?  LOST never confuses you, it leaves you with clear questions about what's happening.  Dead Space leaves tons of questions unanswered.   This game is an original IP!  A stand alone video game!  It's not LOST at all, which is why it's expected that I at least have a clear idea of what just happened by the end, even if all my questions aren't answered."
    With LOST. It was twist after twist after twist for so long that by the time the answers came, not only did a lot of people give up, but a lot of them weren't satisfied. If Dead Space goes like that, even its most vehement supported will be unhappy with the outcome.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By jakob187
    Sarnecki said:
    "Are you seriously telling me that I'm expected to wait about five or six years for this story to fit together?  LOST never confuses you, it leaves you with clear questions about what's happening.  Dead Space leaves tons of questions unanswered.   This game is an original IP!  A stand alone video game!  It's not LOST at all, which is why it's expected that I at least have a clear idea of what just happened by the end, even if all my questions aren't answered."
    Read the logs?  Watch the videos?  Read the comics and watch the movie?  I mean, there's plenty of info there.  The only honest thing that none of us know is whether Nicole was real or not.  The rest of it, we completely understand!  We've had enough time to dig.
    Nicole = smoke monster.  That's about it.

Other than that:

We know what happened on the Ishimura:  Necromorphs fucked shit up.
    We know where the Necromorphs came from:  the human-replicated Marker that was sent to Aegis 7 as an experiment by the government.
    We know why the mining ship was going to Aegis 7:  the Unitologists, which is a long-standing religious group much like the Christians, believe the Marker is holy.
    We know Kendra was a government agent that was sent along to ensure the Marker got back to Aegis 7 and the experiment continued.
    We know that Hammond had a clue of what the hell was going on prior to all this, but didn't know about Kendra.
    We know that Isaac had a long lost love named Nicole.
    We know that Mercer was genetically mutating and altering humans and Necromorphs in order to evolve the species.
    We know that Klein was going stark-raving mad and killed some dood.
    We know that Nicole is dead.
    We know that a shuttle with a Necromorph in it that was sent off by Hammond got picked up and ended up causing another ship to get infected - the one that was going to save us.
    We know that the Hive Mind was causing dementia amongst a lot of crew members on the Ishimura.

Hell, we know pretty much everything.  What we don't know about 100% is NICOLE!  That's it!  We know she's dead because the chapter list tells us so, but when did she die?  Was it from the liquid death in the video?  Was it after the marker was taken back and we got attacked at the end of the game?  Was it before all that?  That's the only real thing we don't know.  

So where is the convoluted part?  The fact that we don't have every single inch of background info on every single character in every single second of every single scene?  WHO CARES?!  The story is what the story is, and it is presented very well.  If it wasn't, then why is there a thread with over 1,000 views that's still wanting answers about Nicole?  If no one got attached to those characters and didn't care about those characters, why do we care?

LOST has confused people time and time again, and given J.J. Abrams penchant for the "you wanna know what's in this briefcase?  I'll tell you in five weeks" and then you find out that it's fucking empty but it's the LINING of the briefcase that's important  - _ - , I don't even understand how people can watch that show in the first place!!!

Also, this:

Sarnecki said:
    "Dead Space leaves tons of questions unanswered.    it's expected that I at least have a clear idea of what just happened by the end, even if all my questions aren't answered."
    ...makes no sense to me.  Make up your mind.  There were plenty of questions answered in the game, and if they weren't answered there for you, then you should be able to surf this thread and find the answers...as someone is ALWAYS coming up with something.
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By zitosilva

Actually the comparison between Lost and Dead Space does make sense in the way that both of the stories are not good.

I won't talk about Lost here because, well, that show is aboslute crap.

On to Dead Space, I love the game. But the story is not its stronger elements. It is a mix of everything we have already seen but put together in a good way. I think it's pretty much pointless to try to figure out that ending because I doubt it does have any meaning or sense. It's pretty much that "evryone one dies" ending that the majority of horros stories have. Everything seems to be fine and BAM! Everyone is dead. It's cliché, and I seriously have no idea why it's there. We can't know if Isaac is dead, and I doubt we'll ever find out. It's there just to give you one last scary moment after you think everything is fine. And I can tell it worked with me.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Tarsier said:
    "Lost is a good show."
    Troll status: Confirmed.

Anyway, look at the first letter of every chapter:

Chapter 01: New Arrivals
    Chapter 02: Intensive Care
    Chapter 03: Course Correction
    Chapter 04: Obliteration Imminent
    Chapter 05: Lethal Devotion
    Chapter 06: Environmental Hazard
    Chapter 07: Into the Void
    Chapter 08: Search and Rescue
    Chapter 09: Dead on Arrival
    Chapter 10: End of Days
    Chapter 11: Alternate Solutions
    Chapter 12: Dead Space

'NICOLEISDEAD' Interesting, or something.
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By zitosilva

I just finished the game a second time and it really doesn't get any clearer to me. Nicole is dead, that is certain. Though there's one thing I don't get. What is that Amelia that doctor keeps refering to? Like "I'm sorry Amelia" or "I knew I could count with you". I mentioned it on a few post ago, but I thought the name was Alice. The only thing I can think about is that Amelia is a Hallucination that the doctor is having of a loved one that has died.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By jakob187
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Tarsier said:
    "Lost is a good show."
    Troll status: Confirmed.

Anyway, look at the first letter of every chapter:

Chapter 01: New Arrivals
    Chapter 02: Intensive Care
    Chapter 03: Course Correction
    Chapter 04: Obliteration Imminent
    Chapter 05: Lethal Devotion
    Chapter 06: Environmental Hazard
    Chapter 07: Into the Void
    Chapter 08: Search and Rescue
    Chapter 09: Dead on Arrival
    Chapter 10: End of Days
    Chapter 11: Alternate Solutions
    Chapter 12: Dead Space

'NICOLEISDEAD' Interesting, or something."
    Someone already pointed that out a while back.  Sorry.  =  /
    P.S. - I almost bought Downfall the other night, but Smallville Season 7 was calling me.  Next week maybe...
    GmLx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By GmLx

So ok the general consensus in this forum is that..
    Nicole is dead?
    Issac is dead (i hope not however)?
    Very confusing story
    Alot of unanswered questions
    Lost Sucks
    Issac went insance
    And someone else can fill in the blanks

GmLx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By GmLx

So ok the general consensus in this forum is that..
    Nicole is dead?
    Issac is dead (i hope not however)?
    Very confusing story
    Alot of unanswered questions
    Lost Sucks
    Issac went insance
    And someone else can fill in the blanks

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Sarnecki

Nicole is very, very dead.
    Can't say if Issac is dead or not.  Maybe?  Nobody can know until a sequel.
    Somewhat needlessly confusing.
    When push comes to shove not that many.
    Lost is awesome, how dare you.
    More likely the marker was showing him Nicole, just like it was showing the doc his dead wife.  You only think he's insane because back stabber bitch wrongly implied it.
    Depends what the blanks are.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.