Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

Would I Like Dead Space?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#1  Edited By BeachThunder

I'm in the middle of playing Penumbra: Overture and it got me thinking that I should play more survival horror games. From what I've seen, the way they handled the HUD in Dead Space is awesome and I like the strategic dismemberment idea, however I ignored the game when it came out because I thought it would be too scary D: But I think that if I can deal with Penumbra I can deal with this. I looked around and I found it for $20 on D2D.

My main concern though is the perspective; third-person games can be awful and I don't really want to bother if it has obnoxious camera issues. Also, it gives me a System Shock 2 vibe. Is it actually that similar to SS2 at all? Because SS2 is very awesome.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I thought he was slow as fuck, the guns werent satisfying at all, the jump scares didnt give you a chance to shoot well and see what you're shooting, and once hit, your health drains like a motherfucker. 

If you're the kinda guy that enjoys what gamerz enjoy and hates what gamerz hate, you're gonna love Dead Space 

if you're like me, and you usually have certain issues with certain games (which i find a logical thing), then you should double check before buying the game.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Geno

I think regardless of your tastes, Dead Space is an amazing game. Very well-put together, solid controls and level design. 

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

If you're looking to get into survival horror games, you pretty much have to play this game.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By sixghost
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " I thought he was slow as fuck, the guns werent satisfying at all, the jump scares didnt give you a chance to shoot well and see what you're shooting, and once hit, your health drains like a motherfucker.  If you're the kinda guy that enjoys what gamerz enjoy and hates what gamerz hate, you're gonna love Dead Space  if you're like me, and you usually have certain issues with certain games (which i find a logical thing), then you should double check before buying the game. "

This opinion fucking sucks.

Dead Space is awesome, and anyone who says Dead Space is all about jump scares is just wrong. Most of the "horror" comes from the atmosphere and sound in the game. There are really only 2 jump scares in the game, and they are the 2 mini-bosses. Really it's more of a thriller than a horror game, you'll be on edge for most of the game, but it's not the type of thing that you'll be having nightmares about.

The combat is also pretty great. It's miles and miles ahead of anything else in the genre, especially RE5. Not only does it control better, but the combat has way more depth and is more rewarding than any other survival horror game. The combat really starts to get fucking crazy halfway through the game, the enemy variants never get stale. They're all pretty unique, and the way you fight each type of monster are almost completely different. Some of the fights just get so insane later on, and the dismemberment fits in so perfectly. It's awesome, and pretty damn unique.

Anyway, buy it.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " I thought he was slow as fuck, the guns werent satisfying at all, the jump scares didnt give you a chance to shoot well and see what you're shooting, and once hit, your health drains like a motherfucker.  If you're the kinda guy that enjoys what gamerz enjoy and hates what gamerz hate, you're gonna love Dead Space  if you're like me, and you usually have certain issues with certain games (which i find a logical thing), then you should double check before buying the game. "
    You're joking, right? Guns that slice off enemy's limbs aren't satisfying at all? Isaac wasn't anymore slow than Leon in RE4, for instance, and he could run and move with ease.

@BeachThunder:
    Dude, Dead Space is a phenomenal game. It's a steal at $20. Do yourself a favor and pick it up. If you regret it, feel free to come back and complain to us about it. We'll be shocked if you do.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael

There are no camera issues whatsoever. It's an excellent game.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RobotHamster

Dead Space is incredible, you'll love it.  Personally I didn't think it was that scary, but I do admit I jumped at some points. Just don't play at night.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sixghost
    @RobotHamster said:
    " Dead Space is incredible, you'll love it.  Personally I didn't think it was that scary, but I do admit I jumped at some points. Just don't play at night. "
    Awww come on, playing the game in the dark is half the fun.
    Moztacular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Moztacular

Dead Space was my favorite 360 game from 2008, but it helps that I like the sci-fi setting the Alien(s) movie series. If you're into that stuff it'll really help with your enjoyment of the game. The atmosphere is still unrivaled in my opinion, though Alan Wake might give it a shot so i hear. If you play Dead Space in the dark with good surround sound or even decent headphones you'll have a fantastic experience.

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Andheez
    @sixghost: 
    Agreed.  I went out of my way to play this game at night, with no lights and the sound cranked up.  Great, great game.

I am one of those people who thinks the setting makes a huge difference in this kind of game.  Of course a game isn't going to be scary when you are playing in the middle of a sunny day with people watching/distracting you.
    Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Trilogy

I just played Dead Space for the first time the other week. I went into the game cautiously. From what I had seen of it since the games release, I wasn't too impressed but people seemed to really enjoy it so I felt like I needed to give it a fair chance.

I loved it.

In my opinion, Dead Space is an excellent game with few flaws that hold it back but it's one of my favorite games of this generation. The combat is surprisingly fun. One of my worries going into dead space was the combat would be too slow and boring but the dismemberment really makes it shine. It's just plain satisfying to take apart a necromorph. The whole dismemberment thing may seem really gimmiky but in practice it's a blast.

The atmosphere very effective. Dead Space didn't really scare me too often in a jump scare sort of way but the sound and general sense of dread is effective in keeping the mood tense throughout the game.  If you're worried about Dead Space being too scary, I wouldn't let that hold you back. Like I said, Dead Space was more tense than scary for me. Your mileage may vary.

The story is a bit predictable in spots but still enjoyable. The predictability possibly stems from Dead space borrowing story elements from multiple sci fi horror movies. I won't spoil it but lets just say that I saw the twists coming from a mile away. Maybe you won't have the same experience though.

I recommend it.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ATrevelan

VERY IMPORTANT: If you're getting Dead Space for PC, which I highly recommend, make sure you have a gamepad. Mouse and keyboard really isn't up to par, especially for the combat, which is kind of crucial. 

Also, turn off VSync in the in-game settings and force it through your driver software (w/ triple buffering.) The game's VSync caps FPS at 30 while the drivers will do it at 60. The game is MUCH scarier running at that speed.

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By fishinwithguns

I never beat it, but I got pretty far and loved what I played of it.  I almost completely ignored it because Official XBox Magazine said it was mediocre and made it sound very unappealing, but it was very unique and had great atmosphere and shooting in my opinion.  From what I can tell, it's a very polarizing game, i.e. you either love or hate it....but I recommend it, it was actually the game that made survival horror more appealing to me.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sixghost
    @ATrevelan said:
    " VERY IMPORTANT: If you're getting Dead Space for PC, which I highly recommend, make sure you have a gamepad. Mouse and keyboard really isn't up to par, especially for the combat, which is kind of crucial.  Also, turn off VSync in the in-game settings and force it through your driver software (w/ triple buffering.) The game's VSync caps FPS at 30 while the drivers will do it at 60. The game is MUCH scarier running at that speed. "
    Do you have any idea what the console versions run at?
    ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ATrevelan
    @sixghost: Consoles are locked at 30. It's incredibly solid, don't get me wrong, but I seriously think the game is scarier for some reason at a higher framerate. The animations are more fluid.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti

I played it on PC and had no issues with controls.
    But yeah you should check it out it is a good game, which is better player alone and in the dark for better atmosphere. 
    It ha a very nice blend of mechanics, limb system, zero gee, time dilation, ozxygen, upgrades, that all blend very well together .

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Hourai
    @ATrevelan said:
    " VERY IMPORTANT: If you're getting Dead Space for PC, which I highly recommend, make sure you have a gamepad. Mouse and keyboard really isn't up to par, especially for the combat, which is kind of crucial.  Also, turn off VSync in the in-game settings and force it through your driver software (w/ triple buffering.) The game's VSync caps FPS at 30 while the drivers will do it at 60. The game is MUCH scarier running at that speed. "
    I had no problems playing with keyboard and mouse my first time through the game. 

Also, Dead Space is a great game. Play it. 
    briggs713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By briggs713

I didn't have any problems with the controls, although I played on 360 and have played many other games in the genre.  The gameplay was very enthralling (the dismemberment is different) and the atmosphere/general creepy tone of the game was my favourite part.  I can easily recommend this one.  

raphaa00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By raphaa00

I'm playing Dead Space right now (PS3 version, through chapter 8), and I don't know if you will like this game, but I'm fucking loving it, it's my favorite game this generation and the best I've played in years.

First thing I noticed is how amazing this game looks. Two years old and it's hold up with any game you pick. The graphics are so polished, so fantastic, technically and artistically, that I just stopped several crucial moments to admire them. Speacially in zero gravity parts and the huge boss with three arms.

This game does really borrow a lot of elements from Resident Evil 4, but it does this in it's very own way, and I felt comfortably in already know how the game run. Third-person over-the-shoulder view, levels are divided into chapters, weapons and lot avaliable through stores, granular upgrades, et cetera. It didn't try to reinvent the wheel. Some level designs reminded me of Metroid Prime and the whole progression and narrative is much akin to Bioshock.

The combat system could sounds a bit awkward when you hear 'strategic dismeberment' but it is fluid and natural. The huge amount and quality of the 'weapons' take good care of this part. Controls are precise and I never felt that they left me alone, trigger and turn are just fast enough, and in the more opened areas (zero gravity), it's easy to spot every enemy.

This game is mature, bloody and gory, but it's not scary, it's an Action/Thriller, much like the already mentioned Resident Evil 4. The story is engaging and well told, with only in-game cut-scenes and audio/text logs. Voice acting is convincing, but what really sets apart is the soundtrack. With almost no score, industrial noise, monsters graspy sound, and people murmuring (?) is what takes the atmosphere to the highest levels. In some parts the noise is so loud it that I had to turn down the volume, but I liked it.

It's not just a must play, it's a masterpiece of art in form of a video-game.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By buzz_clik
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " If you're the kinda guy that enjoys what gamerz enjoy and hates what gamerz hate, you're gonna love Dead Space "
    Sorry, dude, but I think this is more of the minority view amongst "gamerz" that enjoy games.

I don't have 1,000G for this title because I hated it. GOTY 2008, fer sure. That thing occupied a lot of my waking thoughts at the time, work was pretty much just an obstacle in the way of me playing more Dead Space and I pretty much poopsocked the game. It's a skill piece of software that brings together amazing atmosphere, great graphics and art direction, brilliant gameplay and lush sound design. That said, I'm still a bit nervous about the existence of the sequel, despite hearing very positive reports from people more in the know than I.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shadows_kill

bioshock= system shock feel
    but dead space GET IT its amazing its a steal for $20 and anyone can love it

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#23  Edited By EpicSteve

Yes. The game is also cheap right now, so it wont be much of a loss if you turn out to hate it.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Jeust
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:

" If you're looking to get into survival horror games, you pretty much have to play this game. "

It's one of the classics, as it is Silent Hill 2, Fatal Frame 2, Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 4.
    maimran91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By maimran91

This game is awesome

Wrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#26  Edited By Wrect

Dead Space is good stuff.  You should play it.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BeachThunder

I picked it up during the EA Steam sale and just started playing it now \o/. Awesome so far; it very much seems like System Shock 3 (this a good thing). Also, some of the interface ideas are very clever. Thanks guys.

TJ311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By TJ311

sorry for bringing up an old thread and i doubt anybody comes back here but i also had a problem with wanting to buy this game.

ive heard all the great reviews and i want to experience everything dead space has to offer. the thing is i dont like being scared. i could even play through Fallout 3 because of all the freaky looking shit that was out there, but fallout did give that feeling of lonelyness and the wasteland was fuking big with freaky shit and did not want any part of that. so anyway im pretty sure i know wat the responses will be but i really want to play this game. or should i just watch it? wat should i do?

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SammydesinasNL
    @WR311 said:
    "sorry for bringing up an old thread and i doubt anybody comes back here but i also had a problem with wanting to buy this game.  ive heard all the great reviews and i want to experience everything dead space has to offer. the thing is i dont like being scared. i could even play through Fallout 3 because of all the freaky looking shit that was out there, but fallout did give that feeling of lonelyness and the wasteland was fuking big with freaky shit and did not want any part of that. so anyway im pretty sure i know wat the responses will be but i really want to play this game. or should i just watch it? wat should i do? "

It sounds like this isn't really the game for you, but try to get the demo if you're on xbox (there might be one on PS3). It's very combat focused but still has most of the atmosphere. I played a large part of the game but wasn't able to finish it due to problems with my computer, but a friend of mine simply watched a let's play of it (I don't know who did it). Also the fact that you'll find it scarier makes it an even better experience, seen as how it's boring if it doesn't scare you (if you were to use cheats).
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NTM
    @BeachThunder:
    Don't listen to anyone that says don't play it, it's an amazing game and the sequel's coming soon. Buy it, play it, love it. Well, this is coming from someone who's favorite game is Dead Space overall so... yeahhhh. Still though, I think you'll enjoy it a lot. What system were you planning on getting it on? PC right? If so, that's great 'cause even though it doesn't have the great exclusive content that's on the console versions, it's just as good but you can easily get it to run faster and look better than the console versions. Whatever version you pick though, it'll be a win win.
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rattle618

I hate survival horror games and I loved Dead Space, you need to get it, now.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @WR311:  Do you have access to a copy? Or are you looking to rent or buy it? 

I'd hate to see you waste money on something you won't want to play, but it's such a good game I'd say at least give it a try.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BeachThunder
    @WR311 said:
    " sorry for bringing up an old thread and i doubt anybody comes back here but i also had a problem with wanting to buy this game.  ive heard all the great reviews and i want to experience everything dead space has to offer. the thing is i dont like being scared. i could even play through Fallout 3 because of all the freaky looking shit that was out there, but fallout did give that feeling of lonelyness and the wasteland was fuking big with freaky shit and did not want any part of that. so anyway im pretty sure i know wat the responses will be but i really want to play this game. or should i just watch it? wat should i do? "
    If you don't like being scared, then this might not be for you D: Especially if you were put off by Fallout 3. However, this is a very different game from F3. Anyway, my suggestions are to either play through in easy mode or watch a let's play of the game (I recommend this one by Helloween4545). It definitely is a good game and at very least watch a let's play, but obviously, actually playing the game would be the best choice. Some things to keep in mind - the game mainly relies on jump scares (so it's more startling than truly 'scary'), also, on easy mode, it will be much easier to amass lots of ammo, making it not as scary. Anyway, I definitely think you should give it a go, if at all possible.

@NTM said:
    " @BeachThunder: Don't listen to anyone that says don't play it, it's an amazing game and the sequel's coming soon. Buy it, play it, love it. Well, this is coming from someone who's favorite game is Dead Space overall so... yeahhhh. Still though, I think you'll enjoy it a lot. What system were you planning on getting it on? PC right? If so, that's great 'cause even though it doesn't have the great exclusive content that's on the console versions, it's just as good but you can easily get it to run faster and look better than the console versions. Whatever version you pick though, it'll be a win win. "

:P If you read a few posts above, you'll notice I already ended up getting it (And I played through it twice). Also, PC. Thanks anyway.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By c1337us

Best game of 2008. I can't wait for Dead Space 2, I pre-ordered my collectors copy a little while ago.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's a great game, but I didn't find it that scary.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By big_jon

Dead Space is an amazing game.

The_Painted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_Painted

If you're looking for a survival horror game, then Dead Space probably won't satisfy that want and that's coming from someone who likes survival horror games. A lot. I'm not saying it's a bad game, but let's be honest. It's an action horror game, or a third person shooter where enemies jump out at you. Once you realize that you have enough weapons and ammunition to easily tear through anything and everything in your path it kind of loses any sense of tension. That's just my opinion though, it's still a good game and I enjoyed my time with it. It's just very action oriented with little emphasis placed on the whole survival aspect and true scares.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mrsignerman44

Dead space is 6.80 on steam right now. Its a steal.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kingzetta

do you like Resident Evil 4 or 5? It's a little smoother and pretty great game overall.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

It is under $20 so play the fucking thing.  If you like RE4 and shooting off limbs then you can't do much better then Dead Space.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By IBurningStar

Dead Space wasn't scary and that ruined that entire game play experience for me. It has a lot of neat ideas and I can see why people like the game, but if you are showing up for this one because you are wanting a good horror experience, then you are probably going to be let down.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.