Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

Some control tips for the guys

larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By larryrules138

I was just going to comment these tips onto the VJ ER but I figure if this is in the forums maybe the guys will actually read it. For anyone else who's played DP and has some tips for the teams let 'em rip here.

- Hold the B button to scroll through text faster
    - Hold the run button and run into a door while pressing A to bodyslam through it instead of having to watch York carefully enter like usual
    - Press the Start button when entering/exiting a vehicle to skip the little annoying scene
    - Press the Start button to skip the item pickup screen ( skunk)
    - All cars drive badly, but you can get new cars that handle slightly better eventually. Make sure to be on the lookout for side missions given by General Lysander at the Junkyard
    - Lock onto an enemy, then go into free aim and line up a headshot. Much better than using purely free aim or purely lock-on targeting
    - Buy the Spiritual Maps from Keith at the Milk Barn when available to get infinite ammo weapons ( Sleepy_Insomniac)
    - If you need to do something at a specific time but have some hours to kill and nothing to do, smoke a cigarette.

There are probably more I'm forgetting but I beat this game a month ago so I kind of forget a lot. These few tips here took me most of the game to figure out on my own, so maybe you can enjoy it more knowing these from early on.

@YellowKing

said:

" Control Tips
    - Press Back to quickly pull out the map
    - Use the car's handbrake (B button) for 90 degree+ turns. 
    - Side mission logs can only be checked from the map (Right Bumper on map screen)
    - When using a police vehicle, hold X to activate the siren and speed up.  You can't do this ad infinitum, so watch your stamina meter (now more of a Flagrant Siren Abuse meter)
    - Left and Right Trigger on the map cycle through Points of Interest.
    - The second dodge attempt on Raincoat Killer QTEs is always left-right on the left stick, while the first attempt is always a random face button.
    - Right bumper changes perspective in the car, Third Person is highly recommended.
    - Y turns on lights in the car but also cancels driving-based side missions, so be careful
    - If you're driving in 1st person (God forbid) and it starts raining, press Up on the D-Pad to activate the windshield wipers and increase visibility. 

Other stuff that isn't control related but still good to know
    - Fresh police vehicles are available in most large parking lots.  Always take a fresh one when low on car health / gas until you get your own ride.
    - Running, breath holding, and lock-on all consume stamina.  When York's stamina is exhausted, he becomes slow and less accurate with his gun.
    - When purchasing items, an "X #" is sometimes over the icon.  This means you get that many items in that purchase (ex. Crackers are $18 for "X 6", so in reality you're buying 6 $3 crackers)
    - It's always cheaper to buy food in restaurants and bars.
    - You can fill your hunger meter for free at the police station between 9:00 and 13:00 (talk to Thomas).
    - Drinks at the bars restore and boost tiredness and are cheaper than coffee and soda items.
    - At the gas station, Gina gives you cheaper service than Jack, but you need Jack's unique service for a side mission.  To get the desired employee, back out and drive back in, they're picked at random.
    - When an icon on a location is Blue, it is closed, when it is Yellow, it is open.  Neither the minimap nor the world map communicate this to you in any way, you have to physically drive by them.
    - Always take the car over the jeep until you can buy new ones, the handling and speed are well worth the trade in health.
    - Hitting street lights or drawing your gun near civilians may result in a fine.
    - Wearing dirty clothes incurs a "Stinky Agent" penalty.  Check, change, and clean your clothes when you get a chance.
    - Letting your beard grow out of control also incurs a penalty, shave at mirrors whenever you notice York getting a bit shaggy.
    - Don't stay out past midnight until you've gotten reasonably far in the game, bad stuff comes out that you aren't ready for yet.
    - Many key locations have beds tucked away.  Some examples include the cells in the Sheriff's Office, the back room of the Hospital, and a bedroom in Jim's Ranger Station. "

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Keeping visiting the Milk Barn for missions that have infinite ammo weapons.

larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By larryrules138

Definitely a good tip, can't believe I forgot that. Keith at the Milk Barn will have two weird items for sale eventually, Spirit Map A and Spirit Map B. You'll get an infinite submachine gun and infinite flamethrower from each of these. I think there's also a third one that results in an infinite shotgun, though I haven't done that myself and can't confirm it.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#4  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @larryrules138 said:
    " Definitely a good tip, can't believe I forgot that. Keith at the Milk Barn will have two weird items for sale eventually, Spirit Map A and Spirit Map B. You'll get an infinite submachine gun and infinite flamethrower from each of these. I think there's also a third one that results in an infinite shotgun, though I haven't done that myself and can't confirm it. "
    The B map is for the shotgun. The third map can only be obtained in the last chapter, and that's for an infinite RPG.
    skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By skunk
    @larryrules138: dammit, i was just going to make this thread with pretty much the same hints you had. Although you missed a pretty big one that i'm sure you already know but it's a good hint:
     You can "Start" skip when you pick up items or put them into the toolbox.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EvilTwin

And so it begins...

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By neoepoch
    @EvilTwin said:
    " And so it begins... "
    That is what I was thinking. I can't wait until for the inevitable posts about them not playing the game right and whatnot.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@larryrules138 said:
    Hold the run button and run into a door while pressing A to bodyslam through it instead of having to watch York carefully enter like usual
    They better do this... it sounds hilarious to watch.
    skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By skunk
    @EvilTwin said:
    " And so it begins... "
    and so what begins? What's wrong with giving people a heads up? I would've loved to have know all of this stuff right off the bat before jumping in.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By natetodamax

There's driving in this game? 

Oh man.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee
    @natetodamax said:
    "There's driving in this game?  Oh man. "

York can also go bowling with Zach.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By animateria
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    "There's driving in this game?  Oh man. "
    York can also go bowling with Zach. "
    Spoiler alert! Oh wait York is probably Zach as well...?
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hatking

Oh... I can tell from reading these tips that this endurance run is going to be hilarious.
    larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By larryrules138
    @neoepoch said:
    " @EvilTwin said:
    " And so it begins... "
    That is what I was thinking. I can't wait until for the inevitable posts about them not playing the game right and whatnot. "
    I knew people would make this post in this thread, but I'm not at all criticizing the way they're playing, just giving basic control tips. In Persona 4 all you had to do was hit the X button, there really weren't many tips to give on the control front.
    YellowKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By YellowKing
    Control Tips
    - Press Back to quickly pull out the map
    - Use the car's handbrake (B button) for 90 degree+ turns. 
    - Side mission logs can only be checked from the map (Right Bumper on map screen)
    - When using a police vehicle, hold X to activate the siren and speed up.  You can't do this ad infinitum, so watch your stamina meter (now more of a Flagrant Siren Abuse meter)
    - Left and Right Trigger on the map cycle through Points of Interest.
    - The second dodge attempt on Raincoat Killer QTEs is always left-right on the left stick, while the first attempt is always a random face button.
    - Right bumper changes perspective in the car, Third Person is highly recommended.
    - Y turns on lights in the car but also cancels driving-based side missions, so be careful
    - If you're driving in 1st person (God forbid) and it starts raining, press Up on the D-Pad to activate the windshield wipers and increase visibility. 

Other stuff that isn't control related but still good to know
    - Fresh police vehicles are available in most large parking lots.  Always take a fresh one when low on car health / gas until you get your own ride.
    - Running, breath holding, and lock-on all consume stamina.  When York's stamina is exhausted, he becomes slow and less accurate with his gun.
    - When purchasing items, an "X #" is sometimes over the icon.  This means you get that many items in that purchase (ex. Crackers are $18 for "X 6", so in reality you're buying 6 $3 crackers)
    - It's always cheaper to buy food in restaurants and bars.  
    - You can fill your hunger meter for free at the police station between 9:00 and 13:00 (talk to Thomas). 
    - Drinks at the bars restore and boost tiredness and are cheaper than coffee and soda items.
    - At the gas station, Gina gives you cheaper service than Jack, but you need Jack's unique service for a side mission.  To get the desired employee, back out and drive back in, they're picked at random.
     - When an icon on a location is Blue, it is closed, when it is Yellow, it is open.  Neither the minimap nor the world map communicate this to you in any way, you have to physically drive by them.
    - Always take the car over the jeep until you can buy new ones, the handling and speed are well worth the trade in health.  
    - Hitting street lights or drawing your gun near civilians may result in a fine.
    - Wearing dirty clothes incurs a "Stinky Agent" penalty.  Check, change, and clean your clothes when you get a chance. 
    - Letting your beard grow out of control also incurs a penalty, shave at mirrors whenever you notice York getting a bit shaggy.
    - Don't stay out past midnight until you've gotten reasonably far in the game, bad stuff comes out that you aren't ready for yet.
    - Many key locations have beds tucked away.  Some examples include the cells in the Sheriff's Office, the back room of the Hospital, and a bedroom in Jim's Ranger Station.
    larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By larryrules138

Damn, well I think that about covers it, hahaha. Good work. I put all of that in the first post so the guys don't miss it. Well, assuming they read this thread at all.

larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By larryrules138

I never made my York shave. He was pretty grizzled by the end of the game, which makes him even more disturbing than he is normally. Delivering lines to his "friend" Zach with a shit-eating grin and full-on beard is all sorts of creepy/awesome.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#19  Edited By Vinchenzo

Shut the fuck up, let them play the game on their own. They're not going to read this shit.

larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By larryrules138

Haha oh good, a troll. Just what we needed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.