Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

How to earn legendary marks and other questions I have...

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

So my situation is this: I have just over 230 light, but the daily story and strike recommend I have 240 light and 260 light respectively. I seem to have done all of the quests that give me legendary marks too. So since I need the marks to get better gear and thus get better light, are there any other ways I can get legendary marks? I know you can break down legendary weapons/armor and get a few, but I lack those too (that I'm not wearing).

Where's the best place to team up for quests/strikes/whatever? I'm in a bit of a predicament since I lack a mic that works (working on getting a replacement). I'm also looking to join the GB clan, so I'm guessing I'll be okay without a mic? I'm guessing we team up on Bungie's website?

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By CatsAkimbo

Ways to get legendary marks that I know of, there's probably more:

• Daily mission
    • Daily crucible (even if you lose)
    • Dismantling legendary items
    • Occasionally from crucible and strike playlists.
    newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By newmoneytrash

Playing one game of whatever the daily multiplayer thing is will give you fifteen legendary marks. That's how I worked up to my first piece of new vanguard gear. Other than that I just banged my head against the daily heroic. They're not impossible at your light level, but they'll be a little difficult.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Strife777

You can get over 260 light without legendary gear. When you decrypt engrams, make sure to equip your highest light level gear. The system takes your current average into account and gives you higher level stuff than what you currently have 90% of the time.

You get legendary marks from dismantling legendary gear as well as the heroic missions/strikes. Not sure where else you can get them.

As far as teaming up with people, destinylfg.com is the place to go. I never use a mic and I've never really had any problems finding people, even for raids or Trials of Osiris.

Edit: basically, don't prioritise legendary gear over anything else, prioritise light level.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivermetimbers:

You don't necessarily need legendary marks to level, and I wouldn't really recommend buying a piece of vanguard gear when you're as low as you are. The new loot system operates in a way that makes it so you're always getting stuff at or around your current light level. As long as you keep playing and keep getting blue engrams (which drop like crazy now), you're going to level up at a fairly steady pace.

Blue armor can have light values as high as 300, and ideally you'll be using your legendary marks to infuse the purple gear you get as drops. Buying legendary gear is something you should only think about doing if you find yourself around nightfall level (280) and are missing purple gear in an armor slot. It would also be worth buying the vanguard ghost if you plan on running multiple characters, since that's the only piece of armor that can be transferred between different classes.

With all that having been said, the info above is accurate. Daily story, daily crucible, vanguard heroic playlist (30 marks per week), and dismantling legendary gear are your sources for legendary marks. If you do all your daily and weekly activities there is a guarantee of 240 marks per week, plus the chance for more from legendaries you scrap and some quests that reward them.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Hestilllives19

@ll_exile_ll: Isn't is 315? Maybe I just got lucky but I think I got 25 for each Nightfall too. That is only if you run the Nightfall on all 3 characters though, one character is capped at 265. Also of note, if you continue to run Heroic strikes past your first 3 there is a random chance to be rewarded with as many as 25 marks. I've got that reward a few times last week but I ran a lot of Heroics, an extra 5 for each character for that Quest chain that rewards you with the 300 shotgun or fusion rifle. I think the normal playlist may be the same, but I didn't run those much.

@shivermetimbers: Also, if in ear mics work for you check into the Vita mic. I used mine for over a year and rarely got complaints from people about it, and it was $10 on Amazon. So no need to go out and buy a $100 Gold headset, I say after just buying a new $65 one... Also, try to get into a clan that can run Court of Oryx with you. The reward for that quest is a 300 Artifact so that should help you a lot. All you have to do is go do one level 1 rune at the court. Then talk to Eris, even if she doesn't show a Quest (it's a bug), and then follow the chain by doing 5 or so level 1's, 3 level 2's, and 1 level 3. But any clan that has done Court much should be able to walk you through that. I know myself, Exile, and Zevvion are all pretty familiar with it and we run RU, NA Central, and Cerberus Wolves here at Giantbomb. Someone over at Cerberus on Bungie's site was asking me about Court just this morning. Also, as a side note, court is a great way to just get a lot of blue engrams that may decode into better loot. It drops a ton and after an hour or so, you will feel like Court was the true loot cave all along, seriously, so many more engrams that any loot cave ever gave out, and the loot they give is so much more useful now. Hope this info helps.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: Isn't is 315? Maybe I just got lucky but I think I got 25 for each Nightfall too. That is only if you run the Nightfall on all 3 characters though, one character is capped at 265. Also of note, if you continue to run Heroic strikes past your first 3 there is a random chance to be rewarded with as many as 25 marks. I've got that reward a few times last week but I ran a lot of Heroics, an extra 5 for each character for that Quest chain that rewards you with the 300 shotgun or fusion rifle. I think the normal playlist may be the same, but I didn't run those much.

We figured out that those 25 legendary marks drops that were happening at the end of a heroic strike and the nightfall was the quest reward for the step of the vanguard quest that has you doing 5 of each strike type and then the nightfall. Any other seemingly random legendary mark rewards we have all determined to be quest rewards.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: Ah, well that stinks. Ok. That makes things a bit more grindy then but whatever. I did purchase a Suros with my first big stash of marks this week. I think my next big purchase is going to be the New Monarchy Shotgun Burdon of Proof. Have you looked at that Exile? That seems to be basically just a better version of Dry Rot with more range.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: Ah, well that stinks. Ok. That makes things a bit more grindy then but whatever. I did purchase a Suros with my first big stash of marks this week. I think my next big purchase is going to be the New Monarchy Shotgun Burdon of Proof. Have you looked at that Exile? That seems to be basically just a better version of Dry Rot with more range.

Yeah, I saw Gothalion's video about it. Seems like a legendary Fourth Horseman.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hestilllives19

@ll_exile_ll: Yeah, it's funny, I saw someone on reddit talking about it and linking to Goth's video and I was like dang, I should have seen his video first, I check his youtube a couple times a week. Especially after I heard his group got world first for King's Fall. I think I just checked his youtube the day before he posted that video.

shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shivermetimbers

Thanks guys, my next step should be Court of Oryx then. I'm now at 255 light just by playing strikes and getting gear. I do need a dedicated group to play with as dealing with randoms on strikes has shown...mixed results. I'll be looking into that.

shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm ready for trying the Court of Oryx if anyone wants to run me through it. PSN - TimbersFronto

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just hanging out around the court will usually lead to small groups forming to spend reciprocal and stolen runes. You get credit for them towards the quest just by participating. You don't actually need to use them yourself.

The antiquated rune this week though? Eff that! Last week was nothing compared to this week.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alkusanagi: My understanding is that all that fight does is act as a miniture Crota fight from Crota's End. It seems rather cool because Thalnok is just a bad imitation of a wannabe Crota. Though at current light levels I think he does take twice the damage as Crota himself now does. It should be rather easy if you ever did Crota's End.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

@shivermetimbers: if you're going to spend Legendary Marks on anything, i'd recommend a 280 ghost shell as those seem to be the thing that drops the least and will be the hardest to raise naturally through decrypting dropped engrams. You can always jump into patrols or the level 20 vanguard legacy strike or the level 36 strike playlists and just farm engrams off of those. I'd seriously save your marks because once you hit level 40, you'll just make advances through playing and you can save your marks for infusing higher attack/defense blues into your legendaries.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Haven't played much since 2.0, what are Legendary Marks? Is it just another currency I have to grind in order to buy stuff that doesn't drop?

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@lukeweizer: they replace old vanguard marks. Used to buy legendary items from vendors, but most importantly used to infuse higher attack/defense items into lower ones, raising the stats of the lower weapon/armor.

The grind for them isn't too bad. You get a few here and there for missions, from the daily heroic story/crucible playlist, weekly heroic strikes/nightfalls, and any year two legendary you dismantle drops some. I've had no lack of them by just playing the game and not even focusing on the marks.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivermetimbers: @oldmanlight: Another great thing about the Vanguard Ghost shell specifically is the perk called Wormspore Extractor. Make sure you turn that one once you upgrade the node on it. You will be swimming in Wormspore in no time. I've actually had to turn it off since I have 200 wormspore on all 3 charcaters and almost an extra 200 in the Vault. I don't want any more, so much Wormspore... everywhere... But it means you should never have to actually go to the Dreadnaught and grind for it, which is amazing.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pyrodactyl

@hestilllives19: Now that I have like 6 different ghost shells with wormspore extractor on them and no other kind of extractor I really regret buying that one. Cause unless you had like 500 of each material stockpiled you can go through relic iron or helium filament like nobody's business. They are certainly easier to farm with hunter radar and stuff but it's still a grind. I now have like 600 wormspore and maybe 50 or less of everything else.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: Yeah, it would probably be a smart idea to look into all of the other perks on other Ghosts now that we probably all have the Taken Ghost from King's Fall with the same perks, but I actually had a lot of gear that required the wormspore early on so it worked for week 1. That Ghost is also one of the major reasons I hit 290's on all 3 character in week 1 so no regrets, I was just lucky enough to have like 1,500 of each of the other destination mats already just hanging out.

shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got up to 280 light and have done all of the Court of Oryx minus the tier 3 rune (Antiquated). And yes, that vanguard ghost was a great no-brainer purchase for me. I should get a PSN mic this weekend if I have time to go out.

I'm trying to get halium flakes to get that sword so I can level it up, but farming chests on the Dreadnaught hasn't really been fruitful as the chest spawns are sparse. Dunno if there's another way to get them?

Also, weekly nightfalls, since I'm 280 now I've been thinking about doing one. Is it worth it?

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ways to get legendary marks that I know of, there's probably more:

• Daily mission
    • Daily crucible (even if you lose)
    • Dismantling legendary items
    • Occasionally from crucible and strike playlists.

There are a couple other I know of too. There is another Daily Crucible match (or it could possibly be weekly) you can play for 10 marks. It's on the far left of the bar when your in orbit that has the daily crucible and story mission, as well as the weekly heroic and nightfall listed. I don't think it's available everyday, but that's another way. The only problem is, you have to win in order to get the marks. Losing gets you nothing. You also get some for doing some of the quests given by the vanguard (and possibly other sources). They're not too difficult, so when you get a quest early on that says it gives legendary marks, be sure to do them. Just make sure you don't exceed 200. You can earn an unlimited amount of marks every week, but you can only hold 200 at a time. Any overshoot will be lost.

If you do the daily crucible and story everyday, you can get 210 marks a week just from that. That's a lot for a fairly low amount of time put in. You just have to do it everyday. It doesn't look like you're high enough light level to comfortably do the daily heroic, but doing the daily crucible will get you 105 which isn't too bad.

One last thing, do the Vanguard Strike playlist (not heroic) for a little while. A couple hours ought to do it, and you will level up your light level pretty quickly. Then you can use the marks you get to buy better gear to replace your lowest stuff.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hestilllives19

@shivermetimbers: After hitting 280 you definitely should do the Nightfall now. Nightfall's have some of the best rewards in Destiny. Make sure you have knocked out the strike playlist Quest beforehand though since completing the Nightfall at the end of that Quest will get you a 300 Shotgun or Fusion Rifle. Both are ok weapons, but if nothing else they are great infusion fuel for a top tier gun like 1000 yard stare if you have one close enough to benefit from infusion (290+ already). As far as Hadium Flakes go for your sword, try hitting up the Mausoleum. I just did that and there are around 5 chest spawns that respawn by the time you make that circle around the room, took me 10 minutes or so to find all 25 Flakes. For the Antiquated Rune, you can do two things. Check with a clan like Cerberus Wolves and try to see if anyone has one and wants to get a group together to help you finish that quest or just hit up the Hall of Souls until you find a large group holding Court and hope they have one to use. Another thing of note is if you level up Eris by doing Court enough you will get one yourself that you just need to charge with 3 level 2's. So you could just find a big group after that, wait until yours is charged and then pop it. Good luck.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@hestilllives19 said:

@shivermetimbers: After hitting 280 you definitely should do the Nightfall now. Nightfall's have some of the best rewards in Destiny. Make sure you have knocked out the strike playlist Quest beforehand though since completing the Nightfall at the end of that Quest will get you a 300 Shotgun or Fusion Rifle. Both are ok weapons, but if nothing else they are great infusion fuel for a top tier gun like 1000 yard stare if you have one close enough to benefit from infusion (290+ already). As far as Hadium Flakes go for your sword, try hitting up the Mausoleum. I just did that and there are around 5 chest spawns that respawn by the time you make that circle around the room, took me 10 minutes or so to find all 25 Flakes. For the Antiquated Rune, you can do two things. Check with a clan like Cerberus Wolves and try to see if anyone has one and wants to get a group together to help you finish that quest or just hit up the Hall of Souls until you find a large group holding Court and hope they have one to use. Another thing of note is if you level up Eris by doing Court enough you will get one yourself that you just need to charge with 3 level 2's. So you could just find a big group after that, wait until yours is charged and then pop it. Good luck.

Another big benefit of leveling up Eris is that she gives you 10 Hadium Flakes in each rank up package you get from her. Considering your Hadium Flake needs most certainly do not end at 25 (between the exotic sword and Touch Malice, you're looking at probably around 150, more if you want to get each unique sword) and the only way to get them is from chests on the Drednaught, those flakes Eris gives you are a big boon.

Avatar image for vampiriclunatic
    VampiricLunatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am glad that I am not the only one wondering how to get them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.