Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

This is why Destiny is great (raid exotic quest)

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Fat raid spoilers ahead

People have finally figured out how you get the raid exotic in Rise of Iron and it's a pretty cool, team oriented process taking you through all kinds of activities as well as team based puzzle solving using binary code.

(the fun starts 3 minutes in)

Teamwork, great gunplay, exceptional art design, Destiny is still the best coop shooter around.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Teamwork, great gunplay, exceptional art design, Destiny is still the best coop shooter around.

Borderlands 2 + DLC is better. Destiny does have great PVP, though.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@pyrodactyl said:

I loved Borderlands 2. But Destiny's gunplay is infinitely better. That alone makes it better than BL2 for me. Despite Destiny's many flaws, the moment to moment gameplay has been absolutely perfect for me.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Hestilllives19

@spaceinsomniac: Funny thing is two of Borderlands 2's top Twitch Streamers would very much argue that to be incorrect. As both King Gothalion and Professor Broman, Destiny's top two viewed streamers, got their start and made their name as two of the top Borderlands streamers. I have heard them on many occasions compare the two games as far as coop shooters go and they always land on the side of Destiny, as does everyone in their communities. Not saying their word is law on the matter, just thought it was interesting considering you compared the two. They often, and I tend to agree, claim that the original Borderlands was a much better game.

@pyrodactyl: Great job on getting this done, saw Exile with it. I think we are going to go for it tomorrow night.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@spaceinsomniac: Funny thing is two of Borderlands 2's top Twitch Streamers would very much argue that to be incorrect. As both King Gothalion and Professor Broman, Destiny's top two viewed streamers, got their start and made their name as two of the top Borderlands streamers. I have heard them on many occasions compare the two games as far as coop shooters go and they always land on the side of Destiny, as does everyone in their communities. Not saying their word is law on the matter, just thought it was interesting considering you compared the two. They often, and I tend to agree, claim that the original Borderlands was a much better game.

@pyrodactyl: Great job on getting this done, saw Exile with it. I think we are going to go for it tomorrow night.

We did the monitor part, but haven't done the whole quest yet. Those screenshots were me inspecting someone on my friends list. People were wondering what archetype that pulse is and how the stability was, so I put those screenshots in the chat.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@soulcake said:

@spaceinsomniac: Destiny having great PVP is a joke right ?

Have you played it much? I think the multiplayer in Destiny is better than any Halo game Bungie ever released. Once you acquired the best weapons and learned the meta--meaning you were using a handful of the best guns and weren't constantly being outclassed by superior firepower--it was great. I just wish it was 60 fps.

@sravankb said:
    @spaceinsomniac said:
    @pyrodactyl said:

I loved Borderlands 2. But Destiny's gunplay is infinitely better. That alone makes it better than BL2 for me. Despite Destiny's many flaws, the moment to moment gameplay has been absolutely perfect for me.

Full agreement that Destiny's gunplay is better, but as far as a PVE loot shooter goes, Borderlands 2 edges it out, at least for me personally. It's all subjective, though. As far as BL1 vs BL2 goes, also subjective, but Borderlands 2 improved things that I just wouldn't want to give up again.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hestilllives19

@spaceinsomniac: Personally I preferred the characters from the original and think that General Knoxx was the most fun I ever had in a Borderlands game. But that is far from saying I didn't enjoy my time in 2, I just wasn't at all compelled to play much of each DLC. It just didn't draw me in like the original did. Part of that may have to do with playing through Borderland with an actual friend vs mostly solo with 2 though. Either way, Destiny has been an overall better experience as far as coop shooters for me than any other game I've played. A lot of that has less to do with Destiny and more to the amazing community that surrounds it both in general and here at Giantbomb. Destiny's ability to allow you to have that kind of interaction with each other (whether by Raids, Crucible, Private Matches now, or just hanging out in the tower) is what, in my mind, makes it the far better coop game.

@ll_exile_ll: Gotcha, I just assumed by the screenshots you guys got it done last night. I'm hoping we get through the monitors part tonight. We aren't starting that until about 8 CST though if you guys want to try and get a Trials run in between 6 CST and 8 CST, I'll probably be trying to get at least one in.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff and Brad always shit talk the PvP in Destiny and I'm not sure why. It's literally the only shooter I have ever played where I have actually been good at it.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sravankb said:
    @spaceinsomniac said:
    @pyrodactyl said:

Full agreement that Destiny's gunplay is better, but as far as a PVE loot shooter goes, Borderlands 2 edges it out, at least for me personally. It's all subjective, though. As far as BL1 vs BL2 goes, also subjective, but Borderlands 2 improved things that I just wouldn't want to give up again.

I agree with that. The loot aspect of BL2 is definitely better than Destiny. I guess it comes down to what an individual values in a shooter like this.

And yes, BL2 > BL1. I don't know why, but BL1 just felt really stale to me after some time. It certainly wasn't because of the story / writing in BL2 - "Lol memes / random" got pretty annoying.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@spaceinsomniac: No disrespect meant to @soulcake but I think he might just be echoing what the bomb crew has said around the PvP in the game and hasn't actually played much of it. I don't want to speak for everyone, but to me it seems clear the crew is oddly dismissive about the PvP. I think they don't really understand it. It is easily the best online shooting I've played and houses the best PvP mode of all in Trials of Osiris.

As for the Borderlands argument, I'd argue there isn't one. Borderlands is to Diablo what Destiny is to WoW, I feel. I don't think they can be directly compared. Destiny is about grinding for (specific) gear, while I felt Borderlands was more pick up, play and see what you get. Besides that, Destiny is more about challenging content with mechanics and teamwork, while Borderlands is more about just shooting and ability management.

Though, that does mean that as cooperative play goes, Borderlands really doesn't even touch Destiny. I played a ton of Borderlands and it was definitely fun playing together, but it wasn't as necessary as in Destiny. I also never came out of Borderlands playing coop feeling the same way as I did playing endgame content in Destiny with other people. You get this weird sort of camaraderie after you've been trying to murder a robot priest with spider legs for hours, having to use the mechanics in play to make successful rotations and finally finish it. Of course such a Raid gets easier over time and you won't even need 6 people to do it after a while necessarily, but you definitely do in the beginning. And you're constantly communicating during this time as well.

With Borderlands, I rarely found myself talking to my buddy about what was happening in the actual game. It's a game you play while doing something else. Destiny is not at all. At least not during the content you're playing it for. You need 100% of your attention on your screen.

I love both games though. But for very different reasons.

CaptainKoonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just want to chime in say that I have finished the exotic quest, have the 390 Outbreak Prime, and Holy Hell, that gun is fantastic. Well worth the time spent getting it.

I also helped a group finish the Aksis second phase fight on an alt when they had all monitors activated, so I have the quest start for the gun if anyone needs a Titan to complete it. My psn is jpayneATL and I'm always happy to help a Duder. Just send me a message and mention Giant Bomb.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hestilllives19

@captainkoonz: I also got it on an alt Warlock, but there is a lot going on this week with Iron Banner. I figured I'd just do it sometime later but let me know if you find a 3rd Hunter and we can knock out the Puzzles together sometime. PSN is the same as here, hestilllives19.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.