Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Oct 22, 2013

The Director's Cut of Deus Ex: Human Revolution features redone boss battles, improved graphics, A.I. and combat, and all DLC released for the original game. The Wii U version makes use of the controller's screen to allow new features like map notes.

Is it worth getting this to play it again?

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

So, I loved DX: HR but I was firstly not great at it and secondly came unstuck by the boss fights. But, as I said I loved it, so when I traded it in ( knowing that I would never be able to complete it) I kinda regretted it. Now this version is out and I'm really tempted.

Gantrathor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Gantrathor

Well, if you're a fan and you want to play it again, I don't see why not.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@panelhopper: If you regret trading it in and now this new and vastly improved version is out, I think that answers your question. :)

It's also a good chance to switch platforms, maybe go with the definitive version on Wii U or grab the Steam version as it's the cheapest deal.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@panelhopper: Yeah, if you didn't finish it the first time, then go for it, I guess? You seem like you're in the right position to take advantage of it.

This whole thing is weird, though, because I feel like anyone with even the slightest interest in getting the game either already bought it during a Steam sale for like $7, or already bought it from whatever retailer once it hit like $20 or $30. Maybe there are ton of people like yourself that gave up on it but are willing to give it another shot.

I finished the original version twice (second time was just to play it on hard and mess around with a different set of weapons than I used the first time), so I've had my fill and won't be getting the director's cut.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By probablytuna

The cool thing about the PC version is that if people already have the base game and The Missing Link DLC, they can just pay $5 for the director's cut content. They also said that there'll be a NG+ mode that carries over all your upgrades (not sure if it requires you to beat it once in the Director's Cut first or you can just load up one you've already finished. If it's the latter that'll make me want to replay the game even more).

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The cool thing about the PC version is that if people already have the base game and The Missing Link DLC, they can just pay $5 for the director's cut content. They also said that there'll be a NG+ mode that carries over all your upgrades (not sure if it requires you to beat it once in the Director's Cut first or you can just load up one you've already finished. If it's the latter that'll make me want to replay the game even more).

Seriously? If I'd known this I would've bought it during the steam summer sale.

Fuck.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@probablytuna said:

Fuck.

Ya, right here http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/13/4835988/deus-ex-human-revolution-pc-augmented-with-directors-cut-for-4-99

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DeF

@funkasaurasrex said:

@probablytuna said:

Fuck.

Ya, right here http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/13/4835988/deus-ex-human-revolution-pc-augmented-with-directors-cut-for-4-99

Well, they only JUST announced it. Btw, it's also on the wiki page :) ... I think we got the most comprehensive accumulation of info on the Director's Cut with the wiki page. I spent a lot of time on that :D

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

@def said:

@probablytuna said:
    @funkasaurasrex said:

@probablytuna said:

Fuck.

Well, they only JUST announced it. Btw, it's also on the wiki page :) ... I think we got the most comprehensive accumulation of info on the Director's Cut with the wiki page. I spent a lot of time on that :D

Dammit, I already own the original on 360 and was gonna wait for the director's cut before buying the PC version.

Loading Video...

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy

Can anyone tell me just what they changed in this release? How did they alter the boss fights and what else is new?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@probablytuna said:

NG+ seems like a weird addition, given that the game is already super generous with XP and you can get most of the non-shit abilities by the end. As long as you skip the bad hacking upgrades (the one that tells you what's in data chests, the one that tells you the difficulty level of all nodes even the ones you're not adjacent to) and all the fairly pointless "stealth" upgrades that just make your minimap more like Metal Gear Solid, you can usually finish the game with enough XP to have most of the other abilities.

I guess it would be nice to fully upgrade more weapons (since weapon mods are like the one resource in that game that is actually scarce), but there's no stash and you can only hold onto a few weapons at a time anyway.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gotta see the new boss fights.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: I just want to play through it again to get all the little achievements I've missed on my first playthrough. I'm usually not one to care about things like that but I was going for a no kills/no alerts run and somehow I ended up killing a few dudes (I heard there was a bug with the non-lethal takedown that would actually kill the person rather than render them unconscious so that may be the reason). Having all the upgrades just makes the playthrough a little faster/easier.

But yeah the game is really generous with it's exp, especially when you hack everything instead of using the passwords, which I always do. I think I got at least 90% of the upgrades.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

$5 for a PC upgrade huh? Sounds like a deal to me. I've been itching to replay Human Revolution ever since I finished Dishonored, and this will be as good an excuse as any... especially since they're fixing the boss fights and thus the single worst part of the original game. Developer commentary doesn't hurt either.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Panelhopper

I wonder if it will come with its own set of trophies/achievements? I guess it will? The NG+ plus feature seems really cool to me, I like going back and steam rolling over early bosses.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DeF

@xyzygy said:

Can anyone tell me just what they changed in this release? How did they alter the boss fights and what else is new?

Man, I literally just referenced the wiki page shortly before your post. It's all on there. All of it. :)

I wonder if it will come with its own set of trophies/achievements? I guess it will? The NG+ plus feature seems really cool to me, I like going back and steam rolling over early bosses.

You too! The wiki page clearly mentions new achievements! Why does nobody ever read the wiki pages lol.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Hmm, i'm not seeing the upgrade option on Steam :/

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Panelhopper

@def: lol sorry, you're right it does say that, that's cool then

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

There was a rocket launcher right before the first boss. He seemed pretty steam-rollable to me on the first run

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the most amazing things I have heard, for a couple of days at least. I would not be caught dead rebuying a full retail priced game outright. But 5 bucks puts it right into feasible. Almost done-able! I of course have to ask what Directors Cut really means, but beyond the question it sounds like something I will do for a game I truly liked.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bybeach: You can see a comprehensive and complete rundown of everything they did on our very own wiki page.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mildmolasses: lol yeah, I actually did well ( by my standards) on the first boss, it was the others that ground me down.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually played through again recently, and had a great time. The nice thing about this game is there's at least a few options for play-style. First time around, at launch, I played through the entire game stealthy. This more recent playthrough was guns blazing; aka how Jeff always says: "Always be dumping."

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I managed to get my hands on a copy of this yesterday. I have the regular edition on PC, but none of the DLC, and I think I only ever played a few hours of it. Certainly never got past the first hub world. If you've never played Deus Ex: HR or want to revisit it with the DLC, this is the version to get.

I have the 360 version and I can't get the Smart Glass feature to work at all. I'm wondering if there is going to be a day one patch to address this on Tuesday. For example, if I have Smart Glass connected and bring up the map in-game, nothing happens...but if I disconnect the Smart Glass app, then bring up the in-game map, it works fine. Same goes for inventory and the augment screen as well. It's almost as if the game is trying to launch the Smart Glass functionality but hangs up or gets stuck somehow. That was really my main interest in picking up the Xbox version, but oh well. Hopefully this will eventually start working. Great game, and the Xbox & PS3 editions are only $29.99. That's a steal considering the Director's Cut also includes the Missing Link DLC which I've heard is good for another four hours of gameplay. making this an easy 25-30 hour game or more depending on how much of a completionist you are. Of course, New Game Plus really helps out the replay value, too.

The Director's Commentary is awesome. If you like this sort of thing with movies, you'll really love it with this game. You can turn the prompts off at any time you want, too. The way it works is as you're walking around the world, you will trigger short commentary vignettes that you can optionally start playing by hitting select. The game continues on and you get an image of whichever developer(s) are speaking along with their name, and it's all very contextually relevant. A lot of time is spent talking about features they had to cut and funny or interesting things that happened during development, very insightful and interesting stuff. However, I don't recommend you listen to the commentary on the first playthrough as a lot of it is full of spoilers for missions you're currently on or about to do. If you care about that sort of thing, anyway. Check it out.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Directors commentary sounds great but, in game? Not so sure. As a special feature style documentary? Great but as an in game feature?...

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DeF

@panelhopper: It doesn't work any other way. What you're talking about is just a regular documentary. You should look at Half Life 2 or Portal to see how well something like it works. Alan Wake also has developer commentary but I haven't tried it yet to see how it works there. Thirty Flights of Loving did, too. And it was done like in this case or the Valve titles just with text boxes.

Just like in a movie, it's a thing for your second or third time around when you're already familiar with the material.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The commentary is done really well. The vignettes provide a nice break from the action where you can just sit there in an area and listen to the devs talk about an aspect of the game's development, or maybe manage your inventory or something while they talk, then you can press on when they're finished. It's a cool feature.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see video on how they actually 'fixed' the boss fights. I read the wiki and it says you still have to kill them? Which I guess is okay because those fights are more story beats so they have to be killed for story purposes. But I wonder how they're actually laid out, is it like the Missing Link DLC and if you get to them stealthily you can walk up to them and just catch them standing around? That..may be a bit awkward but I'd be interested in seeing it.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys... I have a confession to make... I thought the original boss fights were okay.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dimi3je
    dOm_CaTz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish more developers did this.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mike

Definitely turn the commentary OFF if you've never played through the game before. Most of the time the commentary vignettes are optional, but sometimes they will automatically trigger and start playing concurrently with a cutscene and if you don't have subtitles on, you'll miss some story. Definitely best left to a second playthrough or New Game Plus. Oh yeah, there's New Game Plus now.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm going back only because of the New Game + option. I wouldn't play through it again with a fresh save. I want to try it on a harder difficulty with most of the skills unlocked.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I got this forever ago for 360 on sale from GameFly but I never got into it. Barely played past the first couple of missions.

I think I'll get rid of it and play the Wii U version when I eventually get one. Seems like a smart choice.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

NG+ doesn't look at my old saves makes me sad. i'm not sure just getting for the new boss fights is wroth it.. (well.. i already got it.. )

grafix are better too? they look the same to me:

Loading Video...

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By cornbredx

It's only 5$ if you already own it, and the DLC, on Steam (all of which I actually bought during a steam sale).

No clue if its worth it, though. Seems like a cash grab. This game is a few years old- what's a directors cut for a video game?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#37  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The commentary is pretty neat, and it's provided me with an excuse to play it again if nothing else.

But seriously, I'm already sort of remembering how dumb the story in this game gets.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you not load up an old save right before game end, finish the game and then get the NG+ option?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: I don't think it will even recognize old saves, probably due to the way Missing Link has been integrated into the story.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Tennmuerti

@mb: Ah well, no biggie. There is always cheat engine to just make a NG+ for yourself.

Tho for some weird reason I still can't buy directors cut :/

The steam store page just says when the game will unlock. Which makes it look like I already bought it, when I'm pretty sure i haven't, just have the main game and the missing link dlc.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SlashDance

Apparently it's less yellow :

Before
    Before
    After
    After

(More comparison shots can be found here. Some people seem to prefer the old version. I don't know, it doesn't look that different...)

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slashdance: Waaaaait SERIOUSLY?

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: Could you honestly keep all of the factions and who works for who, betrays who clear in your head? I really liked it but man the original was less confusing and it had sub-sub conspiracy groups.

Valendale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's the real deal on the new features.

There are more ways to kill bosses, including hacking bots and turrets and gassing them to death. However you are still forced out of stealth and into cutscenes, and there is no way to avoid the fights, escape them, or resolve them without killing.

The Optional Dev Commentaries let you painfully listen to the developers be overly impressed with some things and attempt to justify really bad decisions while you're playing. Did you know they originally intended to have all dialogue in the game handled in cutscenes with zero dialogue options, and only decided to change that much later? I like the game ok but listening to their commentaries made me feel that these aren't the sort of people who should have been working on a Deus Ex game.

The DLC is pretty well integrated, and there appears to be some new cutscene content and stuff.

The ending still has you press a button to watch a slideshow. In commentary they talk about how they originally wanted you to perform tasks to get specific endings but ran out of time.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I'm so glad they removed that shitty golden tint.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@valendale: Somebody's a negative nancy.

But yeah, it's painfully obvious that they ran out of time and rushed the ending. It's doubly bad that not only do you just press a button to end the game, but also the final cutscene is a bunch of stock video about like, life, man. Look, stock video slideshow worked ONE TIME, and that was in Metal Gear Solid because the song was fucking sad as shit and Alaska is serene as fuck.

Valendale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Valendale

The final act and the boss fights ruined the game for me. I was all set to play a second playthrough but when I saw the last chapter and saw the boss fights that forcibly take you out of stealth and force you into lethal confrontations, I lost all interest in the New Game Plus mode again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.