Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Digital: A Love Story

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Mar 04, 2010

Set in 1988, the player assumes the role of a youth armed only with an "Amie" Workbench PC and a 14k modem. Dial into BBSs, fall in love, and possibly save the new internet.

Digital: A Love Story

Bojangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Edited By Bojangle

Decided to give this a bash after hearing it mentioned on the latest podcast. Firstly I'm not sure where Paul got his 8 minute playtime from, it'll take you at least an hour I'd say.  Spoilers within, so if you're bothered about that don't read further!

Did I cry at the end? Nope, but I'll admit to getting a bit choked up. It's quite well written and the emotions the game brings out when Emilia tells you she loves you and then the BBS network goes down is something a game has never done to me before. I was actually frantic at being able to contact her again and despite knowing she was an AI running that final bit of code that would end her 'life' was very oddly upsetting. 
    Some of the stuff is annoying, mostly when you input an invalid dialing code and you need to go back to dialing long distance and then trying another code, and if you run out of codes doing this you need to head back to the right BBS to get another bunch of codes. I assume this is done to try and recreate the feeling of a computer system back then, who knows. It didn't stop my enjoyment of the game either way it has to be said.  The music gets big props for being excellent throughout, some great tunes in there. 

Well worth a download if you've an hour or two to spare and nothing to play I'd say!
    Bojangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Bojangle

Decided to give this a bash after hearing it mentioned on the latest podcast. Firstly I'm not sure where Paul got his 8 minute playtime from, it'll take you at least an hour I'd say.  Spoilers within, so if you're bothered about that don't read further!

Some of the stuff is annoying, mostly when you input an invalid dialing code and you need to go back to dialing long distance and then trying another code, and if you run out of codes doing this you need to head back to the right BBS to get another bunch of codes. I assume this is done to try and recreate the feeling of a computer system back then, who knows. It didn't stop my enjoyment of the game either way it has to be said.  The music gets big props for being excellent throughout, some great tunes in there. 

Well worth a download if you've an hour or two to spare and nothing to play I'd say!
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I guess I just didn't get it. It was a unique experience and I enjoyed the music, but I didn't care for Emilia at all. The only thing I thought when the BBS crashed while I was reading her last message was "Well, that's unfortunate". I was just really bummed when when The Matrix crashes and happy when the Reaper was defeated, but that's pretty much the extent of my emotional involvement with the story.

pegasuswinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By pegasuswinks

wow I just finished the game and...  I didn't cry, but I truly had trouble continuing the game near the end knowing what would happen. Never has a game done that to me, and I consider it an amazing achievement that this game has. Truly a marvelous, hidden gem.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By infininja
    flyingace16021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By flyingace16021
    @Bojangle: What's the game itself like? Like, what kind of stuff are you doing? What Paul Barnett was saying about it was interesting, I was just wondering about the game part of it. 
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By raiz265
    @flyingace16021 said:
    " @Bojangle: What's the game itself like? Like, what kind of stuff are you doing? What Paul Barnett was saying about it was interesting, I was just wondering about the game part of it.  "
    I tried it and all i was doing was typing some phone numbers and password and clicking back and forth between those different BBSs and my mailbox and stuff... 
    Played it for like 20 minutes or so, don't think I'm going to finish it...
    mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I was surprised by the sadness I felt for Emilia's destruction. It's definitely a unique experience >.> 

___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ___pocalypse

I just finished it; I liked it a lot! I definitely felt sad at the end, knowing that there was nothing I could do to help Emilia. At the beginning I wasn't really all that interested in her character, but the more I did to find her again the more I wanted to. I really enjoyed the music, and the little unrelated conversations people had on the BBS boards. The fan fiction and William Gibson conversations were great.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Zippedbinders

I felt an attachment to Emelia, and I thought that over all it was pretty well executed. Doubly so considering its from just a single person. I was sad when the ending came, but its far from heartbreaking or as profound as a number of other places made it sound. If we had had a little more back and forth between the player and Emelia instead of it feeling so abrupt I could see that fixing some issues. Love the music and aesthetic though, Christine knocked it out of the park there.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Nasar7

I liked it for the unique experience but I had no emotional involvement with the story. I found Emilia rather annoying tbh, the whole "I love you" thing came after like what, 10 emails? Way too fast. Plus she's very emo all she talks about is people not understanding her, being lonely, and wanting to run away. Not endearing, just lame.

Using the clues scattered throughout the BBSes to 'hack' into other BBSes and progress the game was what made the game fun for me. Although it's too bad you never get to play those games that one dude was posting up.

Bojangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bojangle
    @flyingace16021:   It's very much like an old school text adventure, there isn't really much in the way of what you'd call gameplay these days. If you've ever played Uplink it works a bit like that but without the hacking (well you do a little but it's nothing complex). There's one or two 'puzzles' which you have to figure out yourself but if you read and reply to every message you should figure them out relatively easily. The focus of the game is definitely the story and how it'll make the player feel. 

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I'm new here so I'm limited to the amount of posts I can make per day. :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.