Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Don't Starve

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Apr 09, 2013

A roguelike exploration/survival game from the creators of Shank and Mark of the Ninja.

Reign of Giants

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Reign of Giants has officially been released. It adds new biomes, new objects, new inventions, new characters and new mechanics.

I really like some of the changes. For instance, there is an effect now with rain. When it rains you will slowly get wet. If your wetness reaches a certain level you will freeze easily even if it's not winter. You can also get all your items wet that you're carrying. I found it makes a Spear for instance, a Slippery Spear. Which turns out in combat your character has a change to drop it, which you obviously don't want to happen. You can counter rain with an umbrella, rain coat or rain hat it seems.

There are also Giants, but I'm not sure what they do yet. They don't always seem hostile. There are new creatures and a bunch of new things to invent. I am really enjoying it so far. I'm actually doing a Let's Play of it right now. Diving in blind, I had no idea what rain would do. It's fun to see the consequences.

How are you liking the changes so far?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

@zevvion: When you purchase and install Reign of Giants does it lock you into playing with the DLC? Or can you chose to play either RoG or Vanilla?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Worth mentioning since it's come up that this is on sale on steam for like $2.50

Or bundled with the game for $6.45

I just grabbed the DLC, haven't tried it out yet. To be honest I still feel like i've got a fair bit to uncover in the vanilla. Great game though if not a bit of a time investment for a rogue like. It's good to fire up once in a while, I find it a bit too stressful to play in anything but short bursts - though leaving a saved game can make it difficult to come back to later and know what the hell is going on.

I'm not very sold on this idea of having to deal with the rain, it kind of just sounds like more work. But i guess people who have mastered this game need some more challenge probably.

I saw they are working on implementing co op which seems pretty rad.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr: Yeah, the sale is why I brought it up :) and like you, the amount of stuff in vanilla is why I still haven't bought it.

Both my wife and I have a copy of the game and we're anxiously awaiting the co-op, but I'm unsure if or how the DLC will effect our ability to not starve together.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@zevvion: When you purchase and install Reign of Giants does it lock you into playing with the DLC? Or can you chose to play either RoG or Vanilla?

You can select to enable or disable Reign of Giants.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will this be available on the PS4 version?

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iron1c: I know the base game is, but what about the Giants expansion?

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@bongchilla: Yeah, I meant that. It's been out for weeks, if not months.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.