Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Dragon Age 2 console demo(s) impressions.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

ok, well I just got done playing about half of both demos, and I must say that I am liking what im seeing. While for the life of me I cant find the button used to block, I think the game does look and runs goods. The framerate on PS3 for Dragon Age 2 is infinetly better then it was in origins (I know because I recently played my copy of origins on PS3 and remember how it was borderline unplayable due to its framerate), however as to which console version of dragon age 2 actualy ran better I cant really tell, maybe 360 by a small bit because I did notice character pop in on PS3 during a cinematic and 360 looked darker.  

But for the game itself im liking how much easier they made it. Instead of hitting a button on a enemy and running over and continuely attacking a enemy until you do a different button press, its much more hack and slash now. Some peopel might hate it but I actualy liked it for the most part. The conversations are much more like Mass Effect with the conversation wheel, and overal I liked the look and feel of the game. What are your impressions of the demo on consoles and or PC?
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

More hack and slash? It's caught my attention now. 

Avatar image for mikazukinoyaiba
    Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Mikazukinoyaiba

Demo was great, glad I pre-ordered the signature edition. DA2 is definitely a step in the right direction, the attacks look fluid and cool. Though I do kinda wish they had more meat into the attacks, maybe that will change as I level-up but we'll see. 

Personally I would like it if there were combos, but since this is trying to be a traditional RPG instead you can only do combinations of spells and abilities. 

Also Isabella's breasts are huge (22 yrs old but still so easy to satisfy), it still confuses me for characters to look so dramatically different however. 

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spoonman671

I haven't gotten to try it yet.  I'm too busy downloading extras from the Killzone 3 Helghast Edition.

Also,

@Raven_Sword said:

"While for the life of me I cant find the button used to block"

Was that a joke?
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ravensword
    @Mikazukinoyaiba:

The mother of the main character having the same voice as the mother of the main character if you made a himan in Origins kidna threw me through a loop a bit.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ravensword
    @Spoonman671:

Nope. Square (or X) dosent block. So unless im missing something.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Spoonman671
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " @Spoonman671: Nope. Square (or X) dosent block. So unless im missing something. "
    Unless they've turned Dragon Age 2 into a completely different kind of game, then there is no block button.  Your character will automatically parry attacks, or simply be missed by the enemy, based upon their stats and chance.
    Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mikazukinoyaiba

There is no block button, it isn't quite a full action game in the same sense that ME2 isn't a full FPS game.  

As a result, there are some typical gameplay features in both genres that this hybrid game doesn't have.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ravensword
    @Spoonman671:

game controls like it would have a block button. weird.
    Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mikazukinoyaiba
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " @Spoonman671: game controls like it would have a block button. weird. "
    It's the same reason why this game doesn't have combos.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mordukai

I must say that I am quite satisfied with the changes they made. My main issues with the combat system in Origins were that... 

1. When you put the Radial Wheel on Toggle Open/Close it would jump back to game every time you entered a command. Fixed.
    2. How the fixed camera view made it severely hard aiming area spells and targeting a single enemy out of a group.FIxed.
    3. How you instantaneously restore mana through potions but had no such option for restoring stamina. Fixed.
    4. I felt that the Redial Wheel took just too much screen space and I am very happy on how they solved it. 

My main worries is that I feel that until you and your party reach level 4 the game will just be a Hack N' Slash war of attrition.  As far as tactics goes then I don't see much change and I quite disappointed by that. I feel that they haven't really tapped the full potential of that system. Hopefully it will get solved by user mods on the PC.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Enigma777

Jesus, did we need another one of these? Couldn't you just post in one of the dozen other threads with the same name?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By HitmanAgent47

If you don't mind me posting impressions of the pc demo, i'm using DX11 settings, graphics looks like ps2 level polygons and the textures are worst than the last game or more blurry. Everything has been casualized, it's not even a difficult game. Characters are generic and boring compared to the last game and the combat is well, too casual. I still like dragon age orgins better from what i've played. That's my impression of the game, i'll probally buy it on sale, not in a hurry anymore.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By YoThatLimp

Man, I don't know if I like this game (and I put 100 some hours in DA:O). 

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By kingzetta

Dude that game is awesome!!
    Coming from someone that didn't use an archer in any of his FOUR playthroughs of DA:O, Archers are badass in this game. I think I might play an archer my whole first playthrough

smellylettuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By smellylettuce
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

" If you don't mind me posting impressions of the pc demo, i'm using DX11 settings, graphics looks like ps2 level polygons and the textures are worst than the last game or more blurry. Everything has been casualized, it's not even a difficult game. Characters are generic and boring compared to the last game and the combat is well, too casual. I still like dragon age orgins better from what i've played. That's my impression of the game, i'll probally buy it on sale, not in a hurry anymore. "

I was playing with DX11 render mode on as well, and found it to be quite the opposite of what you encountered. Sure, the art style gives the impression of blocky faces, but I think a well done, stylized look is much better than unfulfilled attempts at realism. Everything was crisp and smooth and I thought the textures were on par or better than Mass Effect 2. It looked amazing.
    I found the mechanics of the game to be pretty much unchanged essentially compared to the first one. The interface is much more simplified and the combat is much faster and better animated though, which may give the impression of being dumbed down or casualized. A lot of the customization and inventory stuff was also locked so it's understandable if first impressions weren't what you were expecting. 
    I for one thought that it was great despite my doubts over the last few months of proposed changes. Definitely on my must play list.

*edit: grammar
    iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iKANNIBAL

The combat will take some getting used to as will lots of other things, however i was very over joyed to see the character customization and that i wouldn't have to play with that dumb default as a lot made me to believe, THAT alone made me happy. Still have to get used to the gameplay.....its different and not really my style but it may grow on me.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By niamahai

so now we wait for DA3 where they make it DMC combat with pop-ups and hypercombos.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Demyx

From What I played, I really enjoyed it. But I can't really afford it.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kingzetta
    @niamahai said:
    " so now we wait for DA3 where they make it DMC combat with pop-ups and hypercombos. "
    you did actually play the demo did you?
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Slaker117

I'm very curious about this. Downloading now.

Although I respect the first game, there was no way I was going to play it. If you are on the PC and feel it has been too dumbed down, I get where your coming from, but for consoles at least I think what they are doing is smart.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By niamahai
    @kingzetta said:
    " @niamahai said:
    " so now we wait for DA3 where they make it DMC combat with pop-ups and hypercombos. "
    you did actually play the demo did you? "
    i did and i really enjoy it. 
    It would've been sooo awesome if they could make the combat EVEN MORE action-y. 

the Pirates game that Disney was making had ex-Bioware dudes involved and all the previews said the combat was akin to DMC.
    so  I hope the next iteration for DA will  be balls out crazy different like the jump from ME>ME2. 
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kingzetta
    @niamahai said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @niamahai said:
    you did actually play the demo did you? "
    i did and i really enjoy it. It would've been sooo awesome if they could make the combat EVEN MORE action-y.  the Pirates game that Disney was making had ex-Bioware dudes involved and all the previews said the combat was akin to DMC.so  I hope the next iteration for DA will  be balls out crazy different like the jump from ME>ME2.  "
    Yeah I wish that didn't cancel that pirate game
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By niamahai
    @Slaker117 said:
    " I'm very curious about this. Downloading now.  Although I respect the first game, there was no way I was going to play it. If you are on the PC and feel it has been too dumbed down, I get where your coming from, but for consoles at least I think what they are doing is smart. "
    DA2 clearly was a game made for consoles then ported to the PC. 

so.. suck it PC centric players! 
    BC_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BC_

After playing the PC demo I was wondering why some people called it hack n slash since combat didn't seem that different from origins. Then I downloaded the console version and realized that there's no auto attack on console! You really do have to spam the attack button! I sure hope there will be an option to change that...

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ravensword

http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head/demo/head2head-dragon-age-ii-demo-screenshot-comparison/  

I know peopel on here kinda hate these, but heres a screenshot comparison LOT did. It shows that 360 has slightly sharper visuals and better SSAO. they said they noticed performance differences, but said theyll get into that more in their real Head to head when the game launches. Anyway, this is only a demo, and theres been a few times where retail was better then demo code, however I might be going 360 on this one. I might start using my PS3 mainly for exclusives and multiplats that are more value (Dead Space 2) or better (FF 13) on PS3. Which is honestly how I did my gaming last gen. had my PS2 for exclusives and XBOX for multiplats. But then again back then theyre were alot more exclusives.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kingzetta
    @BC_ said:
    " After playing the PC demo I was wondering why some people called it hack n slash since combat didn't seem that different from origins. Then I downloaded the console version and realized that there's no auto attack on console! You really do have to spam the attack button! I sure hope there will be an option to change that... "
    auto attack is in the options menu
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By the8bitNacho

I'm not any kind of a fan of the pseudo-hack-and-slash kind of gameplay they've got going on in this demo, and as such I have a feeling this won't be the must-buy that I was counting on it being. It's certainly not a day-one purchase based upon the demo. I may just have to go out and get Bulletstorm instead. 

The narrative presented in the half-hour or so scenario that was playable wasn't at all compelling -- hero's village is destroyed, he meets some unlikely companions while fleeing, and inevitably will become the one to save everything. It's all very cut and dry in that sense. The only character with a hint of charisma was the female rogue-esque archetype offered in the second scenario.  

Overall, it was a disappointing experience. I might get around to playing the PC demo if I ever feel the urge to boot my iMac into Windows. Considering that the game is launching for PC and Mac simultaneously, I really feel like I shouldn't have to though.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kingzetta
    @Kombat: wrong
    BC_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BC_
    @kingzetta: I'll take your word for it, but I don't remember seeing it in the options menus.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kingzetta
    @BC_ said:
    " @kingzetta: I'll take your word for it, but I don't remember seeing it in the options menus. "
    it's disabled in the demo, like inventory, difficulty, appearance, and all that stuff.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Slaker117

Ok, yeah, not impressed.

First off, I'm not one to dwell on graphics but they do play a role in a game's quailty, so let's just say that... they aren't great. And on more than 'how pretty does this screen shot look". Transitions in to, out of and even during cutscenes are rough. Really rough.

As for gameplay, there's not much there. Of course the RPG aspects are going to be deeper than what the demo surfaces, but I can't consider that if I'm going off the demo. Combat is just boring. Lots of mashing, nothing here that demanded much more. It felt like a bad action game. Maybe the mechanics will get more interesting as game opens up and they evolve, but what they offered was not fun. At all. I never needed any strategy more complex than attack a lot, and maybe run away when my health gets low. They probably didn't want to put anything intimidating in a demo, but it ends up being boring because of that.

And the narrative. I didn't find it interesting. They can't really show much, so no way to judge the rest of the game's. Not much more to say about that.

Overall, very underwhelming, doubt I will buy it, though I won't be surprised if the full game is much better.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By niamahai

Warning. Do not roll Hawke and stare into her soul piercing eyes. It wil compel you to buy multiple versions of DA2.    

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mordukai
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " If you don't mind me posting impressions of the pc demo, i'm using DX11 settings, graphics looks like ps2 level polygons and the textures are worst than the last game or more blurry. Everything has been casualized, it's not even a difficult game. Characters are generic and boring compared to the last game and the combat is well, too casual. I still like dragon age orgins better from what i've played. That's my impression of the game, i'll probally buy it on sale, not in a hurry anymore. "
    I can't believe I am going to do this but I have to agree with Hitman. I am still interested in playing it but seeing of what the console  version will be about I think i'll just wait until I get a gaming rig and get this game when it goes on sale next holiday season. If I am going to drop money on an action oriented RPG I much rather do it on LORT: War In The North or Hunted: The Demon's Forge
    sensory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sensory

Absolutely loved it and I'm glad I pre-ordered the Signature edition. The combat combines hack-n-slash into the original mixture very well on the console, making it feel like you're actually doing something at every step of the battle while still having fine-tuned control over yourself and your party. It's a shame they locked down the settings like that, but I noticed in some recent videos that they moved things around in the settings for the retail game (e.g. the talent trees are flip-through in retail) so maybe that's one of the reasons.

I'm really looking forward to playing the retail version of this game come release date here in the EU.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#36  Edited By KowalskiManDown

March 11th better hurry the fuck up! I want my signature edition now!

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nottle

I'm liking the combat the more i play it. The mage is awsome, but i'm unimpressed with the rouge so far which is a shame because i wanted to play as one. The cobats a little too mashy, i'd be fine pressing A, it needs to be just slow down animation wise so i'm not just rapidly tapping it.  it should be morel ike a rhythm and it would be great.  If bringing up the radial menu does not stutter the game like the demo shows than thats great too. There are times where i feel extremly disconecte from things my swings just chip away at the enemies so im hitting them like 20 times before they go down. Other times the combat is like "whoa ten guys just got smoked by one move." I think they could have left the combat it was just fine tune it more. I don't have to press A over and over, there is no real reason for it. The main problem i had in origins was how you aproached an enemy, if they just fixed that, it would be fine.
    If this is the begining of the game than i feel like it is a little too fast paced. There is hardly any build up. You just see Hawke fighing dudes, i expected to see shit go down at Lothering. The way they do the abilitease however is pretty awesome.  
    If I find a signature edtion I'll definatly buy it. I really wanted to S rank origins as well. I still have 2 awakening playthroughs and 2 Origins playthroughs to do, and Golems of Amgorak, and witch hunt, I doubt i'll have time to do those.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By melcene
    @niamahai said:
    " @Slaker117 said:
    " I'm very curious about this. Downloading now.  Although I respect the first game, there was no way I was going to play it. If you are on the PC and feel it has been too dumbed down, I get where your coming from, but for consoles at least I think what they are doing is smart. "
    DA2 clearly was a game made for consoles then ported to the PC.  so.. suck it PC centric players!  "
    Suck it yourself.  The game is completely different on PC as many people have already said. 

Slaker, the game hasn't been dumbed down on PC.  The combat is really not much different (except in looks) from the first game.  Combat on PC is still fairly tactical.  My group died once or twice to the ogre & friends when I was playing last night.
    sensory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sensory

To those worried about the hack-n-slash nature, you'll probably find in the retail game that action-style RPG elements will take a backseat when you ramp up the difficulty to Hard or Insane. Hack-n-slash is more of a feature, judging by some of the newer videos from the developers, which is there to make positioning less of a hassle than it was in the first game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.