Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Dragon Age II is great, and here's why!

• 71 results
    Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Dragon Age II is great, and here's why! (263 votes)

Yay 32%
    Nay 68%

I've recently been playing through Dragon Age II for the fifth or sixth time. And I have to say, I love this game. I don't get why it's gotten such a bad reputation. My gut feeling says it's probably just because the internet was intent on hating the game from the start, and they would never admit to being wrong. Do they ever?

Anyway, I thought I'd list a couple of reasons why Dragon Age II is fantastic, and certainly a much better game than it's predecessor. And when you've read it, I'd like for you lovely people to vote in the poll. The key word here is after.

Let's get started, shall we?

Dragon Age II has a great story. Yes, I said it. The game has gotten a reputation for having a bad story, however, I don't see it that way at all. In fact, this multi-layered tale is much stronger than the rather generic and bland story of the first game. What makes it so great you ask? Allow me to tell you. I have emphasize one thing first however, which is that Hawke is clearly meant to be a played as a mage character. If you are not a mage, the story loses several of it's strongest points. What are those strong points? Let's have a look.

• A well written Cain and Abel story. This is perhaps my favorite part of the game. The tension and unresolved emotions between Hawke and his younger brother, Carver, is truly worthy of praise. It actually manages to capture the jealousy and envy that can drive a wedge between siblings. Now, again this comes with a couple of strings attached. First off, Hawke has to be a mage. If not, Carver dies in the very beginning of the game. I also think it's important that Carver becomes a Templar, which only happens if you exclude him from your expedition. I think a great deal of foreshadowing suggests that this is "canon". Most importantly the quest "Family History", which reveals how Carver got his name. And there you have it. The two brothers are finally fighting each other. Cain and Abel.
    • Another well written story, this time about racism. Who would have thought Bioware could actually write a story about racism in a fantasy world, and make it pretty relevant in our society today? For the most part, that's what they did. Sure, they stumble a few times, but in general, this story about the shipwrecked Qunari, far from their homeland, and the hate and hostility they meet, is pretty darned good. They even have the good sense of writing a quest about conversion to a new religion. In a not-so-subtle way, the city of Kirkwall is the United States of America, and the Qunari are muslims. Had they not handled this as well as they did, it might have turned out pretty foul. Luckily, there are no good or evil men in this tale, only different men.
    • A third well written story? That can't be. Oh but it is. What is it this time? I'm not sure if Bioware actually intended this, as this story has gotten far more relevant after the games release. Still, it's there, and it's hella good. The story I'm talking about is of course the main storyline in the game. The conflict between the Templars and the Mages. So let's break it down. The Templars are a limited group of people who crave control over a large amount of people. The Templars are powerful men and women tasked with keeping control over the truly powerful. If this sounds familiar, it's because your living it. The Templars are the government, they are the people tapping into your phones, watching your every move, controlling your lives. That of course makes you the Mages. The truly powerful people. The people they fear. The people who are content living under a controlling government, because you are scared of what happens if you take the safety off.

Wow, that was a mouthful. Safe to say I think the writing and story of Dragon Age II is pretty fucking excellent. But that of course is just one half of a Bioware game. The other half?

Combat.

I think there's just no way around it. Combat in Dragon Age II is at least one and a half million times better than in the first game. At least. First off, no damned auto attacks. Auto attacks are hella boring. Good riddance. Then of course it's the visceral nature of the combat this time around, it actually looks painful. In a good way. And the most important aspect of combat? It's responsive and a lot of fun. It's just fun to pull off spells that make you feel truly powerful, while still having to think strategically in tough fights. I think they hit a nice cord in that aspect. Your party is supposed to be powerful, so let them be just that. Some fights should be easy, and some fights should be hard. Not just always hard, because then you feel like your controlling a gang of fifth graders against the Roman empire.

That's basically it. Of course the game looks a shit ton better than the first, and the setting is a little more original than forrest country number five thousand and fifty. Reused areas you say? Yeah that's unfortunate, but not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. At least they look great.

So, finally you can answer my question.

Dragon Age II, yay or nay?

(You're a proper cock and balls if you just voted without reading)

• 
    ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

The tighter focus of Dragon Age II makes it much better than the sprawling and somewhat boring Dragon Age: Origins. By making it a smaller-scale story about a city and a family it improves upon everything introduced in Origins and is so much more interesting for it.

The Bad - Mechanics/Design

• Multiple locations are lazy reskins of other locations
      • I don't mind that locations are revisited multiple times over the years. That's actually good (more later). The problem is that every cave is the one cave area they modeled with the invisible walls shuffled around. The fact that the map doesn't even reflect the invisible walls doesn't help either...
    • Monster closet-type combat encounters
      • By which I mean enemies just spawn from the ceiling or appear out of the ground, which means that no matter how well I plan for an encounter, I sometimes end up losing because I didn't know that five more guys were gonna appear when I killed a certain number of the enemies already on-screen. I wouldn't mind if it made more sense, but sometimes they just drop from the ceiling apropos of nothing!
    • I didn't really care for the inventory system, but I will say that, in general, I don't really care for the whole "pick up cruft to sell to vendors" as a main method of increasing your gold. Either make enemies drop gold or increase quest rewards. I dunno. There's nothing fun about clicking a "sell junk" button. No item you pick up should be labeled as "junk".

The Good - Story, Pacing

• Big story, small scale
      • The things that happen to Kirkwall are explored over a long span of time. It's way more interesting to see how your actions and events are shaped when you have the ability to put large chunks of time between them. Not every action has an instantaneous reaction.
      • Focusing on one family and one city also allows you to make everything personal. Your party also gets to just kind of do their own thing in their own parts of town. It feels more real/lived in.
    • The multiple conflicts of the DA universe
      • This isn't really a DA2 invention since these relationships were first presented in DA:O, but the interplay between the Templars and Mages and the various races are all so interesting in the Dragon Age Universe. Because it's a sequel, DA2 is allowed to be more personal about all of these stories. It doesn't have to introduce the player to stuff, it just dives right in. That's inherently more interesting because they can explore the depths of the story rather than the surface-level stuff.
    • All Killer, No Filler
      • That's not strictly true, but DA:O is capital 'B' boring. The dwarf area has some great bits in it, but it's too long and too same-y and too BORING until you get to the creepy/gross/interesting parts. I've had many a friend quit DA:O at that point, missing out on the fun bits of the DA:O ending. DA2 has some slower parts, I suppose, but in general it has a fantastic gameplay loop. Time advances, explore the way the city has changed, deal with sidequests/main quest.
    • Pre-defined character
      • DA:O's character was a cipher with a history that was only somewhat predetermined. It allows for more roleplaying and more character insertion, but freedom is also the enemy to good plotting. Think of how many times you've played a game and thought, "But this doesn't make sense with the way I'm RP-ing my character!" By making Hawke have a mostly set personality with a mostly set backstory and place within the current story, the game is sharper and more focused at the expense of freedom. DA:O, on the other hand, had to make its story make sense no matter how you were playing your character. It's looser and less interesting that way.

So I guess I like DA2 more because it's got a vastly superior story even though the accelerated development schedule made for a less polished game. For what it's worth, I also think ME2 is the weakest Mass Effect game for inverted reasons. They botched the excellent story and tone of ME2 in favor of wildly improving upon the way the game played. More fun to play, less fun to experience for me and in this style of game, I put more emphasis on the story than the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

using the same dungeons again and again was great too.

on a serious note, I enjoyed the games story and characters, but the game is not great overall and thats just fact. You might enjoy it and thats fine, you might even find it great, but the overall opinion is that its not.

HoboZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought the game, the third act in particular, was a fantasy allegory for Israeli/Palestinian relations. I used to have this theory all worked out, but I am work right now and typing quickly, so apologies in advance for this being shoddy:

You have theocratic organisation controlling a relatively small land mass. You have a population of people walled in to specific areas and denied certain rights, specifically free travel. These people are feared by the general populace for the violent actions of a few of their number. Those violent actions are in many cases fuelled by their perceived mistreatment by the theocratic organisation. These acts cause more retribution and restrictions, which in turn fuel more violent acts, creating a cycle of violence and retribution.

You have a large foreign power with investment in the area, sharing religious dogma with the theocratic organization, telling them to sort shit out before they get pulled into an armed conflict. Then a member of the same "religion" (mage) as the "oppressed" population starts an international war with the foreign power by collapsing a large tower.

Basically in act 3 one of your party members is Osama bin Laden.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hobozero:
    This is really interesting. Well done =)

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By kerse

I'll agree with you on the characters and story, but I have to disagree on the combat. The combat was no masterpiece in the first one either, but it felt better to me. I also disliked how much they cut out of the other rpg elements, like the much smaller talent trees and that you couldn't even change your party member's equipment. It also felt like there was pretty much one armor set that you would use for each chapter. Its been a while but I remember thinking the way you got Hawke's armor it might as well have had the same system as your party members. I think there was some other stuff about inventory or equipment that I though was kinda lame, but I don't really remember what it was. I feel like I've kinda flipped on Mass Effect 2 for a lot of those reasons too, I played Mass Effect 1 recently and I think I might like that game more than ME2 now, not that 2 is bad or even mediocre its still great. The recycling of assets in DA2 is just plain bad though, I usually don't get bothered by it, but since I like to do all sidequests the like 10th time I went through the same dungeon got to me.

Diancecht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not watching a movie, so gameplay always comes first before story. And I just can't stand with that horrible combat, sword sponge enemies THE SAME GODDAMN lairs for every side mission. Even the plot and the story telling just reeks amateur. Qunari plot that reached nowhere. The family you don't give two shits about. Simple as shit BAD VERSUS GOOD plot. Retarted-ass dialogs and uninteresting characters. No Dragon Age II was not a good game.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I love the characters and the story. Outstanding work, and backslaps for all.

The recycling of locations and the waves of enemies you just want to get out of your way so you can continue the story was a bad/lazy decision.

But for me, the first far outweighs the latter, so I've loved every playthrough of DA2. It's no DA:O, though.

Avatar image for mustachioeugene
    mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

When I played it at/around launch, I didn't care for it much. I'm re-playing DA:O right now and I still love the game and I will play through DAII again, eventually, maybe coming back to it sometime later and viewing it in the context of DAII being more of a spin-off than a direct sequel to DA:O will change my perspective.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You played this game five or six times and didn't have a problem with the shitfest that is their enemy spawn system? It still has the vestiges of being a tactical game, but then they just drop enemies on you in every direction and you can't play tactically at all. They took out autoattacks not because it made things better to mash a button instead, but because there is nothing else to do except essentially autoattack, so they turned it into a button mash. Mages became a liability in a party because the enemy spawns were so awful that there frequently was no place to put your mage where he/she wouldn't have a dude drop straight onto them and destroy them.

I didn't make it past 1/3 of the way into the game because the writing was so boring/bad and the combat was so awful, and I've every other BioWare game I've played I've completed multiple times. DA 2 is just bad.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

voted nay, never played it.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most won't agree with the OP, but I love Dragon Age II, much more so then the first game. Dragon Age felt so damn clunky.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By EXTomar

Dragon Age Origins is definitely a game from a different era. There is an allegory here that we lost games like DOA so that we could get a games more like Dragon Age 2. Did we gain or lose better quality games or is it just the same old stuff reshuffled?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@animasta said:

I like the game an all, but it is not great. Not great at all.

This is what I was going to say. Listen, I think Dragon Age II has some great ideas, some likeable characters and sort of works as a deconstruction of the usual Bioware formula in a way I can appreciate. But don't think for a second that those excuse its multitude of really obvious problems.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#64  Edited By Yummylee

''I've recently been playing through Dragon Age II for the fifth or sixth time. And I have to say, I love this game. I don't get why it's gotten such a bad reputation. My gut feeling says it's probably just because the internet was intent on hating the game from the start, and they would never admit to being wrong. Do they ever?''

Wow, what a perfectly reasonable and not at all inflammatory way to open a discussion!

I can't quite be bothered writing up my own thoughts in detail as it's a topic that has been discussed to death. That, and a lot of other users have primarily posted a lot of my own complaints anyway. I don't think it's a bad game, but it's far from something that I'd consider to be great. The first act is mostly filler and is made up of nothing but fetch quests and the like, and the third feels rushed (because it was of course) and has a ludicrous ending. Second act is pretty alright from what I remember, though. Even if the duel with the arishok is fucking broken as a mage character. A 3-star game if there ever was one.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I liked some elements of the gameplay, but the main story is chicken fried dog shit that came from the ass of a dog. Any story which concludes with 'an evil sword did it' can go fuck itself.

Dragon Age 1 was never as good as many made it out to be, and DA2 wasn't quite the trainwreck many made it out to be, but DA1 was still comfortably better than DA2.

Spek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed Dragon Age II, although there are some legitimate problems that most everyone has already brought up. The lack of variety and reusing of environments bugged me at the time. I absolutely get why that happens from a budget/time perspective. Even though the Mass Effect series had similar issues (particularly in 1) it never bothered me like it did with DA2. That said, I really liked the stories. Focusing on one character instead of having to accommodate a wide range of possible choices was a good decision. I enjoyed watching a city change over time. It made me feel part of an environment. And the DLC was really good.

My wife has recently gone back to playing DA1, and it's clear through watching her play that DA2 improves a lot in between installments. There's a lot of padding in that game a few design choices in regards to inventory/UI that just plain bug me. To be fair, I'm not one for the tactical aspect of the series. I like to hit things and use my skills but not control my followers, so take my thoughts on combat with that in mind. DA2 played more to the type of game I wanted and enjoyed than DA1, and I'm looking forward to see what happens next with Inquisition.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#67  Edited By Yummylee

@spek said:

I really enjoyed Dragon Age II, although there are some legitimate problems that most everyone has already brought up. The lack of variety and reusing of environments bugged me at the time. I absolutely get why that happens from a budget/time perspective. Even though the Mass Effect series had similar issues (particularly in 1) it never bothered me like it did with DA2. That said, I really liked the stories. Focusing on one character instead of having to accommodate a wide range of possible choices was a good decision. I enjoyed watching a city change over time. It made me feel part of an environment. And the DLC was really good.

My wife has recently gone back to playing DA1, and it's clear through watching her play that DA2 improves a lot in between installments. There's a lot of padding in that game a few design choices in regards to inventory/UI that just plain bug me. To be fair, I'm not one for the tactical aspect of the series. I like to hit things and use my skills but not control my followers, so take my thoughts on combat with that in mind. DA2 played more to the type of game I wanted and enjoyed than DA1, and I'm looking forward to see what happens next with Inquisition.

But the city didn't change over time, that was the problem -- or one of many rather. It has a story that takes place over a decade yet the city & its denizens literally never change. All of the same nameless NPCs are still wandering the exact same locations with the exact same automated dialogue.

Besides Aveline's change in armour due to her promotion, none of the major characters ever age or even have a change of clothes. Unless you specifically max out either their friend or rival meter anyway -- which on that note is definitely one of the game's few legitimate innovations for the series. The addition of a 'rivalry' meter to contrast against friendship was a great way to allow you to not have to potentially pander to your party members just to make them like you, while still gaining new relationship dialogue and benefits.

Spek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Maybe we've got different definitions of change. Or maybe I'm misremembering the game. You've got me questioning now. :)What I remember is the tensions between the templar and the mages worsening with time. I remember going from a refugee to occupying a position of power within the city and watching some of my friends do the same. Portions of the population started to follow the Qun and there was an uprising against the governing body along with conspiracies that wanted it/didn't want it to happen.

Looking at that, maybe it's not change that really did it for me, but a sense of continuity. In open world games there's always that horrible moment where you've done all the quests in an area and the world feels empty. No one will speak to you or has anything but recycled quests for you to do. Again, DA2 doesn't do this perfectly, but it never felt dead to me. There were powers at work both in the main and side questlines that were progressing and changing the city that I was a part of.

Hope this clears it up.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The battle system was bad for an RPG, environment was terrible, your party was boring except for Varric and pretty much the only interesting thing about the game is the Qunari stuff. For a 20+ hour game, that's pretty poor. Nay.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Friendship/Rivalry system was pretty cool, but I remember hating just about everything else about the game.

Needs more Morrigan/10

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I can't really agree with you on this one. Sure Dragon age II has some shining moments that get overlooked because it was never going to live up to origins. But the problem is that Dragon age II was rushed out the door and many sections of the game shows how rushed it felt. The environments were reused to an embarrassing degree. Most caves or inner houses were the same layout or design but with one or more pathways closed off.

The choice to reduce the customization of your party members also felt like a step down. It made loot or treasure less useful when you only needed to worry about your set of armor. I also feel like the classes were not as balanced as it could have been. It seemed like the rouge class always outperforms the warrior class.

Finally i felt the story was a letdown because it did not keep up with the idea of a political battle and your choices shaping the town. The increased character moments and seeing them grow over the years was cool and i enjoyed that a lot. But the overall story fell flat at the end because characters started making crazy choices just to push the story along. There were too many out of character moments that did not make sense to me. By the end everyone is in crazy town because its the "only way" to solve the problem.

Dragon age II could have been great if they allowed it more time to develop and did not try to shape it into Mass Effect 2.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I enjoy the combat but the rest if it is the worst. I never did beat that game I can only take going to the same places so many times.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.