Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

A return to nerd-dom (Dragon Age and an upgraded PC)

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Edited By Nate

I'm back my friends. After a several year hiatus from current gen PC gaming, I'm back. I recently purchased a new video card and power supply, cracked open my case and got it done. For the first time in over 10 years (I believe it was about the time Diablo and Quake 2 were spinning in my CD-Rom) I have a PC capable of running any game out there. First off, I'd like to thank the Giantbomb forum goers who advised me on how to get this done at a reasonable cost ($106 for the card, and $50 for the power supply). 
    I was all set and resigned to get the inferior xbox 360 version of Dragon Age, but opted to upgrade and now am running it all on the highest settings - beautiful. 
    As I sat at my PC late into the night on Friday and Saturday (slaying the vile darkspawn) I was reminded of my late middle school/early high school days doing the very same thing. Now at 28, I have indeed returned to nerd-dom. 
    As for Dragon Age, I'm loving it and I can honestly say I have not spent this much time thinking about a game while not playing it in over 10 years. I was a little unsure whether the hardcore nature of it would hold my attention, but it definitely is. I'll admit, I switched it to easy for the first boss, but now I'm back on normal. I'll probably have to switch it back to easy here and there, but that's okay. Maybe on my second playthrough (probably not for several weeks yet) I'll be able to hack it on normal all the way through. We'll see.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Nate

I'm back my friends. After a several year hiatus from current gen PC gaming, I'm back. I recently purchased a new video card and power supply, cracked open my case and got it done. For the first time in over 10 years (I believe it was about the time Diablo and Quake 2 were spinning in my CD-Rom) I have a PC capable of running any game out there. First off, I'd like to thank the Giantbomb forum goers who advised me on how to get this done at a reasonable cost ($106 for the card, and $50 for the power supply). 
    I was all set and resigned to get the inferior xbox 360 version of Dragon Age, but opted to upgrade and now am running it all on the highest settings - beautiful. 
    As I sat at my PC late into the night on Friday and Saturday (slaying the vile darkspawn) I was reminded of my late middle school/early high school days doing the very same thing. Now at 28, I have indeed returned to nerd-dom. 
    As for Dragon Age, I'm loving it and I can honestly say I have not spent this much time thinking about a game while not playing it in over 10 years. I was a little unsure whether the hardcore nature of it would hold my attention, but it definitely is. I'll admit, I switched it to easy for the first boss, but now I'm back on normal. I'll probably have to switch it back to easy here and there, but that's okay. Maybe on my second playthrough (probably not for several weeks yet) I'll be able to hack it on normal all the way through. We'll see.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Gargantuan

Congratulations! It feel great to have a good gaming PC, right?
    DA:O is definitely my game of the year so far.

Alphawolfy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Alphawolfy

Congrats on your gaming PC, I myself run DA:O on medium-ish settings (decent mid-range PC) and am loving it. I'm surprised that I'm doing fine on Normal, because I haven't really played any games with this type of combat before. 
    Also, would you mind telling me what new video card you got? :)

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By NoXious

Welcome back to the bright side of life! (Well, for me at least :p )

Dragon Age Origins is still good on the consoles, but to me it's just something that needs to be played on the PC because of the atmosphere.
    Oh and I don't need a comfy couch when I've got a comfy computer chair.

I am still stuck on Hard though, Nightmare I simply cannot do because of the fact that particular roles only have either a 'good' or 'evil' character for them.

MikeHaggarKJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MikeHaggarKJ

what card did you buy?
    dao is incredible

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422

Congrats on the new rig dude, glad you're enjoying yourself. DAO is one of the best PC games to get in a long ass time. It gives me he same kind of throwback to old PC RPGs that I played oh so long ago. I absolutely love the game.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nate
    @Alphawolfy said:
    "Congrats on your gaming PC, I myself run DA:O on medium-ish settings (decent mid-range PC) and am loving it. I'm surprised that I'm doing fine on Normal, because I haven't really played any games with this type of combat before.  Also, would you mind telling me what new video card you got? :) "

@MikeHaggarKJ said:
    "what card did you buy? dao is incredible " 

I got an ATI Radeon 4850, 512 MB. MSI is the manufacturer. Got it from Mwave.com. I don't see this one on their site anymore- must be sold out. They do have some similar options though. I considered the 4830, or the 4870, but went for the more middle of the road, which still runs most if not all games on high settings (so I've been told). I ordered it on a Saturday night, and received it (California to Michigan) on the following Friday.
    MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By MichaelBach
    @Nate: Congrats! I hope to get the same out of the game when I get it in a couple of weeks :)
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By maxszy

Congrats man! I wish I would have joined you on upgrading my PC but I am afraid I'd have to do a little more than you to get me up to par, thus the 360 version is what I play on. I still get to experience the great story and characters though.

Anyway... enjoy your Dragon Age on PC and congrats! That's awesome!

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By cap123

i have to run it on medium on my laptop, and sneak a setting or two down to low on the more heavy bits :(

it isn't a gaming laptop though

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.