Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Anyone switch from PC to 360?

Deadmeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Deadmeat

Personally I'm about 15 hours into the game, really enjoy it but with DA:2 coming out next year I want the ability to import the game. With the changes they are making to console versions, and my pc being a bit underpowered for the Dragon Age 1 I'm planning on getting the 2nd on 360. I know PC elitists will laugh at the idea, but I can't afford an upgrade, and honestly I rather have slightly inferior controls but playing on my 65'' TV and home theater setup.

I don't really care about the interface, but concern was I heard there are less enemies in the console version and it's far easier? I'm playing the PC version on hard and like how tactical the combat is and how brutally difficult it can be.

Do you think they would ever find a way to convert my PC save to a 360 import... that would be a sweet option for DA:2

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By abdo

Saving up to upgrade your PC would be a wise investment. And sadly, I don't think there is a way to convert save files, especially not for the 360. 

Deadmeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Deadmeat

I heard a rumor Bioware wanted to convert it, but I know that's prolly a pipe dream

I'd love to upgrade but I need a new power supply and case, so I'm looking at $500+, not something I have while finishing up my degree :(

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ch13696

What? Oh God no. If I have to I will drop down the graphic settings. This game, Battlefield 3, and Elder Scrolls do not belong on consoles. 

Deadmeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Deadmeat

Already dropped down sorry to say :( 

I always wanted to try hooking my PC up to my HDTV, I wonder how that would work... Would be the home theater experience with the perfection of PC gaming.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By RsistncE

I LAUGH AT THIS IDEA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
     HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Deadmeat:
    If you're liking the tactile controls, you definitely won't be happy with the console version. The PS3 version (which I own) had framerates that are just plain embarrassing, while the 360 version has insane load times. Both console versions offer no overhead view, and don't allow you to move characters to certain locations; only to monsters, or to hold position. This makes controlling your rogues almost mandatory, as the AI isn't smart enough to place them behind enemies, and you can't just click the ground behind an enemy. You have to switch to the rogue, and manually stumble behind the enemy, all the while hoping your teammates aren't doing something completely wrong, as you can't queue up multiple actions. You can still tweak their preset combat tactics, and you should, because this is the only real way to make sense of the situation a lot of times. 

The interface if horrendous. The radial menu is clunky as hell, the journal and inventory take forever to load up, and trying to target specific enemies is so god damn infuriating, my hands are sweating just thinking about it. The day I loaded up the PC version of Dragon Age and felt how smoothly things ran, it was amazing to me how much I was forcing myself to put up with. Just a little thing like being able to pull the inventory up without waiting four whole seconds each time makes things so much better. 

And my laptop sucks. I play at medium settings, getting around 25 fps.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Would only ever do that if my PC couldn't handle the game at absolute maximum graphics settings. 

I pretty much do that for most multiplats these days, but my specs are starting to pinch these days :(

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Wuddel

Well I do enjoy playing on consoles a lot. For example I prefer to play online shooter on consoles over PC (except TF2), but DragonAge is certainly not the game for it. I played DAO on a MacBook (with Windows installed) with a Nvidia 9400M chip and it was totally fine on minimum settings. There are a lot of games out there which are equal/better on a console, but DAO is not one of them.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By fox01313

Was curious how this handled on the 360 after playing so much of it on the PC. After getting it over the holidays, as some family got it for me as a gift due to liking Mass Effect & this game having a ME sticker on the box, I'd still go with the PC being the best version. Not really due to the looks of it but I think that the controls with the keyboard are just superior over the 360 controller. Having all the mods on the PC, like Misha the hoarder, make it a bit more interesting without breaking it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having played both versions (PC and 360,) I wouldn't use words like "horrendous" or "broken" to describe any aspect of the console versions. There's no contention that the PC version is superior in every way, but the 360 version at least (I haven't seen the PS3 version in action) is perfectly playable and fun.

Do what you have to do, but it's still a great game no matter where you play it.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Th3_James
    @ch13696 said:
    " What? Oh God no. If I have to I will drop down the graphic settings. This game, Battlefield 3, and Elder Scrolls do not belong on consoles.  "
    Agreed. Some shit is just soo much better on pc. 
    Tonyyj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tonyyj

This is exactly what I'm planning on doing but to the PS3 instead of 360. I have a laptop that is fully capable of playing this and meets requirements for DA2 as well but I admit I prefer to play games on my PS3 more. I have played through most of the game on PC with the deluxe edition already but skipped all the DLC so I'll be buying the Ultimate Edition for PS3 and it should hold me over till DA2 so I can do a save import.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.