Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Help this lowly noob ...

yamtunbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By yamtunbo

The combat in the game is starting to frustrate me a little and I was wondering if any of you fine folk could help.   I'm only vaguely familiar with this kind of game, and with WoW terminology and such.

I get that a tank is a heavily armoured warrior that draws in attacks from enemies while your ranged party members attack from a distance.  I've got two warriors in my party that I guess I'm trying to use as tanks, but they're right pussies and go down so easily that my ranged guys don't have a chance to do any real damage.

I'm at the point in the game where you enter Redcliffe castle, and every stupid little battle with shuffling corpses is nailing me big time.  I'm having to save after every little fight and my party is seriously injured.

What am I doing wrong??  I can't get the custom tactics to have any discernible effect so I'm trying to micro manage by pausing frequently and keeping all my guys on 'hold position' but it's sodding impossible.  I'm constantly seeing my guys just standing there while several enemies melee the crap out of them, and they don't fight back.  They're just standing there taking hits before dieing.  Why is that?  Is that because i've got 'hold position' turned on?  If I turn hold position off they just run about like headless chickens getting reamed.

Any advice would be much appreciated ...

Fisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fisco

Check out Dave's combat tips in this forum, they are really helpful and make the game much easier to understand. His username is snide and the post is on the 1st page, I believe it is called combat tips.

Bitemarks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bitemarks

You can't really rely on custom tactics to get by the harder parts, at least not entirely. Explore each party members abilities and you'll find new ways to solve each encounter. A very important aspect to the combat is crowd control. If you're unfamiliar with that term, it basically means what it sounds like, controlling a crowd. When there's 6 dudes beating on your tank, they wont last long. That's when you have to switch to a character that has group stuns available. With the majority of enemies incapacitated, the group can focus on taking on one or two enemies with ease when they focus their attacks. By the time the enemies snap out of their stun, they will be much easier to handle due to their diminished numbers. 
    Play around with the abilities and im sure it'll click for you much like it did for me.

yamtunbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By yamtunbo

Thanks for the tips!

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Adamantium

Pause, pause, pause. Issue commands to your entire team, and make sure that you're using tactics that compliment each other. Backstabs are crucial for rogues, shield bash/pummel for tanks. Make sure to control all four members as much as possible, like the dude above said, the custom tactics are mostly there for easy to mid-level fights, on the harder or longer fights it's way beneficial to make liberal use of pause and play tactics.

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SolemnOaf

Tactics, tactics, tactics.  If you've got your abilities cued up right, the game will practically play itself.  A mage's tactics should look like this:

Self: Health<75%    Drain Life 
    Ally:  Health<50%    Heal 
    Self: Mana<10%   Use least powerful lyrium potion 
    Self: Being attacked by melee attack    Mind Blast 
    Enemy: nearest visible   Walking Bomb 
    Enemy: any    Arcane Bolt 

and so on and so forth.  If you get two mages into your party, they'll do alot of the dirty work without any input from you at all.  You might not have two mages yet, and you might not have that many tactics slots either, but that's basically what you should try to set up your characters like.  Don't forget to change their overall behavior to ranged, either, because mage's staffs are ranged weapons after all.  I would recommend not using the Hold-position in any instance except for those few where you need to lead enemies away from their group one-by-one, and going back into Move Freely as soon as the enemy gets close, or they will just stand there, for the most part defenseless.  I think the concept of a 'tank' in this game is a flawed one, not every game is WoW, and in DA you're better off attempting to not take damage at all rather than simply absorbing it.  Spells like paralysis and mind blast and skills like dirty fighting and shield bash are all useful for this. 

You can also make most of the default tactics settings much more viable by adding a -self: health<25%  Use least powerful health poultice- at the top of their command chain.  Make sure that you prioritize keeping your characters alive in their tactics menus, every other ability is secondary comparitively.  Just don't make the mistake of programming one of your characters for -self: health>25%  Use least powerful health poultice- or you may find youself in the dark depths of the deep roads without any health potions realizing one of your warriors has been eating them like candy, like I did. 

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @yamtunbo: In case you didn't find what Squabbler was talking about, you can find the post here, it's free of spoilers as well.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EvilTwin
    @SolemnOaf said:
    "I think the concept of a 'tank' in this game is a flawed one, not every game is WoW, and in DA you're better off attempting to not take damage at all rather than simply absorbing it.  Spells like paralysis and mind blast and skills like dirty fighting and shield bash are all useful for this."
    Crowd control is useful, but there is never a situation where I'd take another mage in my party over some kind of tank.  And your advice doesn't factor in bosses that hit hard and can't be controlled. 
    SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SolemnOaf

Nonsense.  Defense rating boosters like rock skin and various physical resistance buffs from armor or spells will allow you to negate much damage by avoiding it entirely.  A tank is nothing more than a character with a high constitution and armor rating.  Rather than aiming for a high armor rating which helps absorb damage that's already being taken and a mass of hitpoints which just makes them that much harder to heal fully, focus on increasing defense and resistances so damage isn't even taken at all.  That frees up however many spell points were going to be eaten up trying to heal a damage-sponge to be allotted to more useful purposes, like doing damage.   

Any boss can be controlled, you just have to be prepared for what they're going to throw at you.  With Paralysis, Force Field and Mind Blast, combined with Weakness and Vunerability Hex, plus some others I'm forgetting or haven't used yet, at least one of those will always work and combinations can be devastating.  I don't believe that the aggro a mage will pull with a Weakness spell followed by a Drain Life could be counter-acted by a mere intimidation or taunt, either.  You've got to make sure that mage can defend herself once that aggro is pulled, and at that point the tank just becomes a space where a more useful and devious character could be performing backstabs or using the time to heal other party members or preparing a more devastating, charge-requiring spell.  You can play the game without a Tank, I would recommend it as I don't think they work that well in DA.  It's a slot wasted by a damage-sponge that could be instead allotted to a damage dealer, as long as you play the characters right.   

If you wouldn't replace a highly armored, high hit-point character with a mage, then you don't understand or appreciate the power of the mage in Dragon Age.  Hell, a ranger with a bear summon would whup any tank character in the game.  The raise dead spell was intentionally crippled by the designers because if it hadn't been, most of the game could be soloed with just the main and their summon alone.  

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @yamtunbo:  

Truthfully, I never use the tactics. I too, micro-manage the hell out of everything. Playing my main as a Rogue, I enjoy a Tank (Alistair/Shale) and Two Mage system (Morrigan and Wynne). As I am playing on Hard and had my main character never fallen, Wynne and Alistair fallen twice, and Morrigan fallen once - it seems to be working out (Completed all the Treaties besides Orzammer and done many of the Side-Quests along the way, currently party is ~level 15). I, though because of the difficulty, play a very cautious game.. but I also seem to enjoy victory with normal ease each time, minus some very hard fights.

One note, is that I don't mention Mind Blast or other spells - simply because on "Hard" those spell do really little good as they don't give the enemy pause long enough and at worst they make the caster a target of a mob of folks. So considering that these are my following suggestions: 

-Alistair is set up with simply Threaten.
    -Lead with your Rogue. In the off chance there are traps, he can immediately spot them - considering if at all you've taken that chain of talents. 
    -Leave your Mages in one defensible spot and move them up with the party only in caution. I enjoy placing them and the end of a looong hallway. In a distance war, my PCs always win. 
    -When I do begin an encounter - if possible I try to have my "scout" fall back to where I have a nice defensible place and can't be easily flanked. An off-shoot of being cautious, often, is that I only aggro some of whatever is out to kill me. In a room of 6 or so folks, sometime I get away with only bringing the wrath of 3. It's much better. 
    -Once I bring my scout just in the view of mage, I send Alistair forth to intercept them while the mages are attacking and  my Scout keeps running back. At the point where Alistair hits them with a Shield Pummel (Stunning them) my Rogue steps in and begins Coup De Gracing this shit out of them. 
    -Hopefully Alistair, in a matter of a few hits draws aggro. At this point, if the first creature is nearly dead. If so, I make Alistair and my Rogue move onto the next victim who is no doubt melee'ng with them. Rogue will start off with a Riposte to get his stun in and, again, Coup De Grace the life out of him as much as possible. When he wakes, Alistair will Shield Overrun him, knocking him down and further preventing damage. 
    -While I've moved onto the second foe, I typically send Morrigan in (manually controlling her) to position her in for a good placement of Cone of Cold. This depends on the amount of meleers about. Anyhow, if I can, I'll cone of cold at least the target of Alistair and Rogue as well as ones they haven't versed... obviously not hitting my allies. When I freeze an enemy that hasn't been engaged I have Wynne shatter it via Stone Fist (I usually don't attempt this if that creature is Rank Yellow as I've yet to succeed). 

That is a basic scenerio of how I set up a beginning parlay with "normal" fights. Double mages allow me to throw double heals on, hopefully, Alistair if need be. Each fight is not the same though and I can make variations, but I seem to come back to this one a lot. Some other options I use often are these... 

-If I see an enemy mage, I usually Crushing Prison him immediately. They are annoying and can stall up my characters. A single crushing prison knocks out a normal enemy mage typically.  Use Crushing Prison with caution as it seems to attract attention rather quickly. If I was bereft of that spell, I'd spam between Winter's Grasp/Lightning + Arcane Bolt/Stone Fist (alternating the timing of Winter's Grasp with Stone Fist). 
    -If at all possible, I try and either manually position or click position my rogue behind the target is Alistair is holding aggro. I do not do this always as sometimes this will simply put him in better range/view/whatever of an enemy or will shift other enemies away from a well placed Cone of Cold. 
    -A general tip if never rush FORWARD. Don't be afraid to fall BACK to a better position. If a mage got off a Blizzard (and you really need to watch them -  throw a stone fist if its got a purple bar above it's head!) then run BACKWARDS. I've had enemies, stupidly, several times run through their own blizzards in attempt to get me. 
    -I'm not sure how far in the game (maybe around 8/9?) enemies start casting annoying spells like Curse of Mortality or Misdirection Hex - having Wynne get Dispel Magic is a very good investment to keep around. Keep an eye on such things. 

Also I am speaking from someone who isn't of lack of spells or talents, as I'm level 15 - so I'm not sure what resources you have at your current level.  

My best cheese tactic for some fights that frustrated me when the numbers seemed so vast (like something around 8-12 enemies) worked best with Shale. I'd send in Shale with Stone Heart - taunt when enemies were in the nearest radius. He'd be simply swarmed completely by everything. I'd let him bash folks around as much, not particularly focusing on anyone. When his life was just low enough that I couldn't stand it, I'd have Morrigan throw a Force Field on Shale. Then, I'd proceed with focusing fire and one thug, one by one. I'd cast Regen on Shale as well as a Double-Heal so that when he did pop from his Force Field he could begin again - I'd Re-Force Field him again and rinse and repeat. I used this for just about every Revenant fight in Brecilian Forest, because Revenant's are awful, awful creatures =p. Not sure how this would work in all fights, especially if the enemies have ranged and such - so I would not use this tactic as a blanket one... although it is extremely effective if they swarm you with a lot of crappy meleers (as opposed to yellow meleers like maybe the Drake fights I guess, in which case, you'll draw off aggro and probably be not happy that one of your characters isn't effectively helping you)

Probably other things I'm forgetting - but best of luck to you!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.