Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

How Different Will The Console Version of Dragon Age Be From PC?

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ververdan0226

Do you think they'll even be any good? I don't have a gaming PC, and I think that that will be the only true, good version. What do you guys think? Will it be worth picking up and trying on console or is PC the only good way to go you think? I'm confused as to if there's any major differences...

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Personally I only play WRPGs on a PC, they just don't feel right anywhere else and it's where the spirit of the genre is. I don't think Bioware will gimp the console versions, but to me at least, it just won't control right. I need mouse control for those games.

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ververdan0226
    @WitchHunter_Z said:
    " Personally I only play WRPGs on a PC, they just don't feel right anywhere else and it's where the spirit of the genre is. I don't think Bioware will gimp the console versions, but to me at least, it just won't control right. I need mouse control for those games. "
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Are they gonna change the controls or camera perspective for the console version do you think?
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mordukai
    @ververdan0226: They can just solve it by having the option to use mouse and keyboard for those who feel more comfortable with that kind of control scheme. Though I see it being more feasible on the PS3 since Microsoft are very...what's the word I am looking for...guarded, to say the least, with what peripheral you game with on their console. 
    WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WitchHunter_Z
    @ververdan0226 said:
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Are they gonna change the controls or camera perspective for the console version do you think? "
    They'll have to, it's impossible to have a decent quickbar for skills with a gamepad, so skills will have tobe assigned to buttons.
    The camera too I can see being a problem on consoles, but hopefully it won't be to finicky.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mikemcn

They are going to have to change alot, controls, possibly content, and the graphics will be toned down, also there wont be any of the mod stuff that only the PC can do.

spiredcrescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By spiredcrescent
    @ververdan0226:
    I had some friends that went to E3 and they said it works fine for console.   Think of how kotor allowed you to pause the action to pick your strategy.  Its kinda in that vein.  Or mass effect for something more modern.  I was wondering about it myself and that came as some relief
    ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ververdan0226
    @Mordukai said:
    " @ververdan0226: They can just solve it by having the option to use mouse and keyboard for those who feel more comfortable with that kind of control scheme. Though I see it being more feasible on the PS3 since Microsoft are very...what's the word I am looking for...guarded, to say the least, with what peripheral you game with on their console.  "
    I've been thinking about getting a mouse and keyboard for my PS3 for a while maybe this will convince me.    @spiredcrescent said:
    " @ververdan0226: I had some friends that went to E3 and they said it works fine for console.   Think of how kotor allowed you to pause the action to pick your strategy.  Its kinda in that vein.  Or mass effect for something more modern.  I was wondering about it myself and that came as some relief "
    Thanks, that's reassuring to know.

You guys are right, as shaky as it sounds, I trust BioWare not to gimp it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#9  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Bioware is capable of developing for consoles. Sure, the PC version will always be the best version, but just look at KotOR. That game worked fine on the Xbox.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks

Ultimately weaker in control, well it is very likely. I would much rather be playing a game of this type on PC.

Great that the console owners get to experience the game though, that applies to The Witcher that's coming soon also.

@Mikemcn said:

" They are going to have to change alot, controls, possibly content, and the graphics will be toned down, also there wont be any of the mod stuff that only the PC can do. "

Yeah, there's no way in hell the console versions are going to get all the real-time reflections on Armor and stuff like that.

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ververdan0226
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " Ultimately weaker in control, well it is very likely. I would much rather be playing a game of this type on PC.Great that the console owners get to experience the game though, that applies to The Witcher that's coming soon also. "
    Wasn't The Witcher for consoles canceled or the project put on hiatus or something along those lines?
    Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lowbrow

RADIAL MENUS!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure they will figure out how to make it as painless as possible - that being said, if you have a computer that can run this game when its released, nothing is going to beat the good old mouse and keyboard.

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrGetBonus

It will be worse in every way imaginable! But so much that you should skip it altogether? Prolly not.

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ververdan0226
    @Lowbrow said:
    " RADIAL MENUS!!!!!!!I'm pretty sure they will figure out how to make it as painless as possible - that being said, if you have a computer that can run this game when its released, nothing is going to beat the good old mouse and keyboard. "
    God I wish I did, but I'm only PS3. I think I'm going to invest in a mouse and keyboard for it if they give us the option.
    spiredcrescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By spiredcrescent

Oh i hate radial menus, well for RTS games i guess. I can never make the switch from pc to console in that genre

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By lethalki11ler

I loved KOTOR on pc...way more than on xbox :S
    so I'm probably opting for the PC one, and im getting a new comp soon so yeah extra reason is the high resolution :D

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @ververdan0226 said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    " Ultimately weaker in control, well it is very likely. I would much rather be playing a game of this type on PC.Great that the console owners get to experience the game though, that applies to The Witcher that's coming soon also. "
    Wasn't The Witcher for consoles canceled or the project put on hiatus or something along those lines? "

So it seems....I haven't kept track of it because I have played both versions now on PC.

A comment from Adam Kiciński, CEO of CD Projekt RED:

“This decision was one of the hardest we’ve ever had to make as a company. We have put our hearts, a lot of our time and energy into this project. Because of that, development was in a very advanced stage. However, there was serious danger that we would miss our target release date, but more importantly to us, that the project would not meet our own expectations of quality. Our main goal is always to make every release better than the previous one. Unfortunately, this project was not going in the right direction. We are now looking into all possible scenarios, and we will do all we can to retain our fans’ confidence in us. We simply will not let them down; the quality of our games remains the highest priority.”

A shame because my thinking was that the game really needed a console release to make some real money..CD Projekt are only a small developer and need  multi format releases, really. I'm confident they will be looking to do that in future.

If you have a competent PC you should get it.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By dagas

I actually didn't like Western RPG's until KotOR on XBOX (Baldur's Gate and such games feel to much like playing tabletop D&D games and I've never been a fan of throwing dice so personally I hope it will play more like KotOR than like BG) so for me it's easier to play on the 360 I guess.  

Also I'm sure I'll play Mass Effect 2 on the 360 so I can use my save from ME1 on 360 so if I want the ME2 content you get with DA I have to buy the 360 version of DA I guess? Or is it a universal code so you can unlock the ME2 stuff either on 360 or PC no matter if you buy the PC or 360 version of DA?

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @dagas said:
    Or is it a universal code so you can unlock the ME2 stuff either on 360 or PC no matter if you buy the PC or 360 version of DA? "
    That. You can buy DA:O for PC and still use the code to unlock the bonus item on ME-2 for your 360.
    mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mthe1337one

i can't imagine the game being any different on consoles than the PC apart from the obvious control scheme.  it's Bioware after all...they know what they're doing (hopefully lol).
    DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @mthe1337one said:
    " i can't imagine the game being any different on consoles than the PC apart from the obvious control scheme.
    Other things include, I believe -
    -No Tactical Zoom
    -Enemies come in waves, rather then all at once
    -No user mod content
    -No toolkit along with it
    Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Nate
    @DeviantJoker said:
    " @mthe1337one said:
    " i can't imagine the game being any different on consoles than the PC apart from the obvious control scheme.
    Other things include, I believe - -No Tactical Zoom -Enemies come in waves, rather then all at once -No user mod content -No toolkit along with it "
    I don't know what you mean by "tactical zoom", but Brad mentioned a few months ago after his hands on with the console version that you could still switch between isometric an zoomed in third-person.
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Less mods = less fun 

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @Nate said:
    " @DeviantJoker said:
    " @mthe1337one said:
    Other things include, I believe - -No Tactical Zoom -Enemies come in waves, rather then all at once -No user mod content -No toolkit along with it "
    I don't know what you mean by "tactical zoom", but Brad mentioned a few months ago after his hands on with the console version that you could still switch between isometric an zoomed in third-person. "
    It may have been the case a few months back when Brad got his hands on it, unfortunately, all current information points to the console version not having the isometric mode. This may or may not be a point of contention, as even Dave in his QL commented on how he ended up preferring the over the shoulder look.
    Ham08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ham08

If you get a chance, look around for some XBox360 game-play videos for Dragon Age: Origins.  I believe IGN had a few and the game-play looked pretty good to me.  Also, if you take a look at Bioware's history with console development you wouldn't worry.  Mass Effect 2 and Knights of the Old Republic for the XBox360 and Xbox turned out great, in my opinion.  Nonetheless, I agree that the PC version is the absolute best option. Hands down.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.