Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

How do the dialogue options and story compare to Mass Effect?

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By FreakAche

I recently finished Mass Effect 2, and was looking for more BioWare goodness to hold me over until Mass Effect 3. I understand that this game is quite different gameplay wise, as it is a homage to older RPGs, but as someone who appreciates Mass Effect purely for the storytelling and dialogue options, I was wondering how this game compares in those fields.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Green_Incarnate

It's less Mass Effect and more just text stuff like Kotor.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @Green_Incarnate said:
    " It's less Mass Effect and more just text stuff like Kotor. "
    Exactly with a lot more focus on RPG game mechanics, such as getting new bling bling and equipping them like a true playa.
    SolongWrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SolongWrex

In Dragon Age your character isn't voiced, which some might consider a drawback. I thoroughly enjoyed both games and can't really think of a reason why anyone would not like Dragon Age's storytelling and dialog if they liked Mass Effect 2. 

The dialog system in DA is quite a bit more traditional, but then again I felt DA presented me with far more interesting moral choices than ME2 did. DA's story is fairly basic and that's fine, especially as it's beautifully fleshed out by good characters and the PC's connections to the surrounding world courtesy of their particular Origin story.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By FreakAche
    @Green_Incarnate: Hmm... KOTOR's pretty good I guess. But, would you say that the game ever reaches that interactive cutscene feel that Mass Effect has? Also, is there good voice acting?

@ISuperGamerI:
    How are things story wise though. Do all the loot/RPG mechanics slow down the storytelling?

EDIT: Also, how is the Xbox 360 port?
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FunExplosions
    @FreakAche: 360 port is obviously not gonna be as good as the PC version, but it's better than the PS3 version. The differences between the 360 and PS3 versions are small, but significant. The 360 loads a lot longer, but runs way smoother than the PS3 version. I bought the PS3 version, and let me tell you, the framerate drop is no joke. From PC to 360, you lose the ability to view things from a top-down perspective, you lose the convenient menus, you lose the keyboard shortcuts, and you lose the ability to accurately target enemies in battle.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

The dialogue options are much more versatile than the paragon/neutral/renegade choices the ME games give you. It gives you the possibility to really sculpt your own unique character. The story too can be influenced a fair bit more than the ME games. So many possible outcomes for so many situations its silly to list them all.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @FreakAche said:
    " @Green_Incarnate: Hmm... KOTOR's pretty good I guess. But, would you say that the game ever reaches that interactive cutscene feel that Mass Effect has? Also, is there good voice acting?

@ISuperGamerI: How are things story wise though. Do all the loot/RPG mechanics slow down the storytelling?  EDIT: Also, how is the Xbox 360 port? "
    I don't recommend the 360 port as I have heard it has really bad framerate and graphics compared to the PC version which is gorgeous. Also the storytelling slows down the game more than the action.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho

You actually choose what you say instead of picking a color coded emotion hoping they say what you want. You feel more in control of what happens for that reason, which I guess is "archaic" now. 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince

Well your main character isn't voice acted, so it's quite different in that sense.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Teran

Dialog is better than mass effect however as others have mentioned, the protagonist's voice isn't voice acted (everyone else is though) so Bioware was able to write things in more specific ways giving you generally anywhere from 2-6 options (averaging 3-4) per choice in a dialog tree. 

The Dragon Age story is actually really similar to ME2's.... you spend the game preparing for a very dangerous mission.  You're not told it is a suicide mission in DAO but it is more or less you building an army to fight another army.  Your companions are interesting but they don't have big intricate loyalty missions like they do in ME2, though most do have side quests you can do to earn their loyalty but if you chose not to, the character isn't really under powered as a result. 

Over all, if you play DAO you'll really see a lot of ME2 in the structure of the game, in fact at times it seems like DAO might have been Bioware beta testing certain concepts and seeing how their audience liked them.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By jasta

The lack of voice acting for your character annoyed me but its still a great game regardless, the other characters are well voiced though.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Undeadpool
    @FreakAche said:
    " I recently finished Mass Effect 2, and was looking for more BioWare goodness to hold me over until Mass Effect 3. I understand that this game is quite different gameplay wise, as it is a homage to older RPGs, but as someone who appreciates Mass Effect purely for the storytelling and dialogue options, I was wondering how this game compares in those fields. "
    It's much more traditional RPG, and the options are more black and white/good and evil in DA:O. In ME2, there's a lot more moral ambiguity. Renegade dialog and story options aren't "evil," they're much more simply "efficient." I'd say ME2 has a much more consistent story as well, I felt like I was just starting to get sick of Dragon Age when it ended (so pacing's good in that regard), but with ME2, I immediately wanted more.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Jeust

Dragon Age's story for me was disappointing, as it is heavily inspired in Lord of the Rings, and it follows its story mixing it with a "chosen one" storyline. 

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Roger778

For me, Dragon Age Origins was one of the most epic games I had ever played.  The story was great, and twisty, it had great characters, and challenging combat.    I played on the X-Box 360 because that's just my preference. 

The dialogue options in Dragon Age are very traditional, and you choose from a list of somewhere between 2 and 10 responses.  The main character isn't voiced, and because of that, I had the tendency to speak for him when I chose a dialogue option, but that's just a little quirk of mine.  In Mass Effect 2, you had to do some side missions that your teammates ask you to help them with in order to gain their loyalty, and if you complete them, then they will automatically become loyal to you.  But in Dragon Age, you have to earn your teammates' loyalty, by getting them to trust you, and also giving them a gift, that they like.  Oghren, the dwarf likes anything that looks like wine to him.  If you get them to trust you, you will be able to do a sidequest for them. 

So, in a nutshell, Dragon Age is like a traditional RPG, whereas Mass Effect 1 and 2, are much more action oriented, even though they are both wonderful games.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.