Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Return to Ostagar DLC Announced

Ham08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Ham08

They must be making money since they keep rolling them out!

http://dragonage.bioware.com/addon/

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Binman88

Woohoo! I was wondering if they'd release more. Anything to expand the life of this game will make me happy :D

Ham08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ham08

I think they have two years of DLC planned.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Binman88
    @Ham08: Sweet!
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Skald
    @Ham08 said:
    " I think they have two years of DLC planned. "
    They said that about Mass Effect. That ended up being a two DLC plan. 
    But to be fair, that was Microsoft, not EA.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @extremeradical said:
    " @Ham08 said:
    They said that about Mass Effect. That ended up being a two DLC plan. But to be fair, that was Microsoft, not EA. "
    Neither Microsoft or EA control the DLC, it's up to Bioware to develop and release it, and they dropped the ball in both regards.
    I'm very warry of this content, especially after Wardens Keep was less than stellar.  It's at least a reasonable price, but I'm hoping for something a little more compelling, not just something they've thrown out for money.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Skald
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @extremeradical said:
    " @Ham08 said:
    They said that about Mass Effect. That ended up being a two DLC plan. But to be fair, that was Microsoft, not EA. "
    Neither Microsoft or EA control the DLC, it's up to Bioware to develop and release it, and they dropped the ball in both regards. I'm very warry of this content, especially after Wardens Keep was less than stellar.  It's at least a reasonable price, but I'm hoping for something a little more compelling, not just something they've thrown out for money. "
    The publisher does control the DLC. They are the ones who fund it, commision it, and get it rated, and send it to the vendor. 
    Sometimes, DLC for a game doesn't even come from the original developer.
    SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By SolemnOaf

I won't buy it.  There's always too little content, and to make up for it they give out too powerful items and it just ends up unbalancing the game.  Except in The Stone Prisoner, where they purposely crippled the best character in the game, giving Shale all kinds of forms and abilities and the potential to be a force of destructive nature and then giving it a max of 6 tactics slots.  What crap.
    Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aeterna

Well, I've not gotten Warden's Keep yet, but I certainly liked Stone Prisoner and.. any new content for Dragon Age is great. More story = me sold.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Cerza

While I love Dragon Age, I don't think I'll buy this. It just seems a tad too recycled.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Teran
    @SolemnOaf: That's just hilarious.  First off, calling Shale the "best character in the game" is ridiculous.  Secondly claiming he is "crippled" by having ONLY six tactic slots.  You're a funny guy, you should do standup.  I wonder how someone gets to the mindset that a character in a game is crippled when the game doesn't just autopilot said character.  What, do you want the game to play itself?

Shale is a fun character to have but he is quite weak late game compared to most of your options.  I doubt he's viable in the harder difficulty settings. 
    Avatar image for theartofbalance
    theartofbalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By theartofbalance

I'll probably buy it. I'm still hungry for more content from this game.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Jeffsekai

yay!!!!

Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Colonel_Fury

This is good, because my warrior guy left his wallet there.
    SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SolemnOaf
    @Teran said:

" @SolemnOaf: That's just hilarious.  First off, calling Shale the "best character in the game" is ridiculous.  Secondly claiming he is "crippled" by having ONLY six tactic slots.  You're a funny guy, you should do standup.  I wonder how someone gets to the mindset that a character in a game is crippled when the game doesn't just autopilot said character.  What, do you want the game to play itself? Shale is a fun character to have but he is quite weak late game compared to most of your options.  I doubt he's viable in the harder difficulty settings.  "

Firstly, let me thank you for this flaming response with which I now have the opportunity to further elaborate my opinion.   

Secondly, Shale is without a doubt one of the most versatile characters in the game.  She's got AoE ranged attacks, She has multiple group stun and damage abilities, She can (theoretically) switch forms at will to best handle any given situation.  I could program Shale with enough tactics to fill 20 slots, if I had them.  I won't bore you with specifics, although if you would like me to I definately could give you an itemized list of what Shale's tactics should look like, if only She had enough room to fill them.  However, Shale is a very bad character, but not for any of the reasons you probably think.  If anything, She becomes more viable later in the game because of the sheer number of skills She commands.  If played correctly, She could always be using a special ability/attack because instead of needing to wait for a cooldown, she could just switch forms and use a new set of abilities. 

Thirdly, there is more to Shale's crippingly low tactics slots going against her.  There is no parameter with which you can set her to deactivate Stone Aura.  None.  Impossible.  Does not exist.  Go ahead, try to find one, I dare you.  Since I am not a fan of micromanagement and have spent much time attempting to master the tactics system, when a character doesn't do what I specifically input into their behavior to do, no matter what, that kind of pisses me off.  Especially since the rest of my party's tactics works like clockwork.   

Fourthly, the very fact that you refer to Shale as a he pretty much confirms that you haven't spent nearly as much time with the game as I have, and therefore have no business informing me of what character does what, and how well.  Consider this last statement as a more than adequate response to your post attempting to contradict mine about the daggers vs. full-sized argument as well.
    Ham08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ham08

The discussion is specifically about the "Return to Ostagar DLC".  Stay on topic, please.

If you must talk about Shale, find an open thread about her, start a new topic if  one doesn't exist, or use the private messaging feature of the website.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Vorbis

I'll take any DLC they can throw at me, not sure if I can do a third playthrough if it means doing the damn fade sequence again.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nekroskop
    @Vorbis said:
    " I'll take any DLC they can throw at me, not sure if I can do a third playthrough if it means doing the damn fade sequence again. "

Well, there goes my second playthrough. Maybe I'll pick it up again after Christmas
    rohanspear345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By rohanspear345

ill get  it for the GOOOOOLD armor! GOOOOOOLD

Avatar image for deactivated-5b45500a95f79
    deactivated-5b45500a95f79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Binman88: how exactly does this expand the life of the game... it's only a single quest.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Binman88
    @Kenobi said:
    " @Binman88: how exactly does this expand the life of the game... it's only a single quest. "
    It expands it by a single quest. That's exactly how.

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b45500a95f79
    deactivated-5b45500a95f79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Binman88: lol, good answer.
    SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SolemnOaf
    @Ham08:
    How is it not related?   I'm discussing the merit and value of one DLC in a thread discussing the release of other DLC.  

Besides, you didn't have that response ready when I was being flamed.  I was merely defending the integrity of my original post's message. 
    Ham08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ham08

@SolemnOaf 

I meant for everyone to stay on topic.  The topic is specific.  Sorry, that I was not able to post earlier when the flaming started which is the real reason for my comment.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OmegaPirate

Fuck yes - more DLC every week for this game - -  PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASEEEEEEEEE! 

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Teran
    @Kenobi: The Landsmeet is a single quest too.
    Sinkwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Sinkwater

So is the Deep Roads.  HOOOLY FUCK

Kaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By Kaps

It depends on their release schedule. If it something like Warden's Keep every month? Sign me up. But every 3 or 4 months and i don't think there is enough substance. Warden's keep was a 2 hour romp at best, and that includes pauses to read codex entries. 

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Teran
    @Kaps: I'm with you there, if there are going to be significant delays they might as well just make an actual expansion and dedicate their full resources to that than an extra hour of content every 4 months.
    Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Vigilance
    @Teran: I'm also hoping we get things different from the Warden Keep/Return to Ostagar model, which seems to be "minor sidequest plus good loot". 

I'm much more interested in additional party members like Shale and even new origins. Just think how much a new origin, like a Chasind (could be Warrior, Rogue or Mage) would add to the game. 
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31  Edited By CenturionCajun

Any word on when exactly this is going to be released? I've only heard sometime this fall.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Teran
    @SolemnOaf said:

Firstly, let me thank you for this flaming response with which I now have the opportunity to further elaborate my opinion.

Secondly, Shale is without a doubt one of the most versatile characters in the game.  She's got AoE ranged attacks, She has multiple group stun and damage abilities, She can (theoretically) switch forms at will to best handle any given situation.  I could program Shale with enough tactics to fill 20 slots, if I had them.  I won't bore you with specifics, although if you would like me to I definately could give you an itemized list of what Shale's tactics should look like, if only She had enough room to fill them.  However, Shale is a very bad character, but not for any of the reasons you probably think.  If anything, She becomes more viable later in the game because of the sheer number of skills She commands.  If played correctly, She could always be using a special ability/attack because instead of needing to wait for a cooldown, she could just switch forms and use a new set of abilities.

Thirdly, there is more to Shale's crippingly low tactics slots going against her.  There is no parameter with which you can set her to deactivate Stone Aura.  None.  Impossible.  Does not exist.  Go ahead, try to find one, I dare you.  Since I am not a fan of micromanagement and have spent much time attempting to master the tactics system, when a character doesn't do what I specifically input into their behavior to do, no matter what, that kind of pisses me off.  Especially since the rest of my party's tactics works like clockwork.

Fourthly, the very fact that you refer to Shale as a he pretty much confirms that you haven't spent nearly as much time with the game as I have, and therefore have no business informing me of what character does what, and how well.  Consider this last statement as a more than adequate response to your post attempting to contradict mine about the daggers vs. full-sized argument as well. "

I don't know how I missed this but I love it when people post hilariously bad arguments in an internet forum.

To address your fourth point, I avoid posting major plot spoilers outside of spoiler boxes.  You may also note I didn't start spelling Shale Shayle, nor did I start using the name "Shayle Cadesh".

To your second point, Shale's strength is not in versatility, it is in specialization.  Shale has the fewest number of stats requiring investment in order to make him viable.  Put everything into str and con and you never have to worry about anything else.  On top of this Shale has the best threat gain in the game and a passive immunity to being picked up, overhwhelmed, or bitten by dragons makes him a very effective tank.  Combine this with his aura spec and the force field spell and you've got something disgustingly powerful.  Shield specced warriors can become better in the very late game in terms of damage mitigation and avoidance however Shale can get the job done too. 

If you're really using shale as dps you are wasting his potential.

To your third point I use tactics only to set sustained abilities.  Since I choose the best possible options I do not ever need to change these sustained passives except in the most specialized situations.  Given the highly specialized nature of Shale's stone aura it's a little silly to wish the game would play itself for you.  Clearly you have made a poor purchasing decision if you are so anti micromanagement.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.