Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

very dissapointed in the ESRB's dragon age summary

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By trophyhunter

dragon age

Rating summary: This is a role-playing game (RPG) in which players control a group of mythical warriors through missions and battles in the ravaged lands of Ferelden. The combat system in the game is similar to other third-person role-playing games where the user does not usually have direct control over combat moves. Instead, players select a target (e.g., soldier, stone golem, dragon, bear, etc.) and an action (e.g., "attack," "kill," and magic spells), then watch as the game executes the move. Players use swords, axes, knives, and magic to attack enemies that react to damage by emitting splashes of red blood; pools of blood are occasionally depicted near dead bodies as well. The most intense instances of violence occur when players have the option to kill non-combatant civilians: A prisoner can be stabbed to death in order to steal a key; a merchant who overcharges refugees can be slashed in the throat; and a boy possessed by an evil demon can be killed off-screen. During the course of the game, players are able to visit a brothel where a hostess asks what they are interested in. If players select "Surprise me," they can sometimes wind up face-to-face with a woman, a man, a transsexual, or an animal; sexual activity is never depicted during these brothel encounters. Players can also initiate brief cutscene sequences in which couples (male and female or same sex couples) can be depicted kissing, embracing, and caressing one another as the screen fades to black. Though the game never features human nudity, one female demon character is briefly depicted with bare breasts. Some profanity (e.g., "sh*t," "b*tch," and "a*s") can be heard in the dialogue.

not their best writing I think

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By metal_mills
    "During the course of the game, players are able to visit a brothel where a hostess asks what they are interested in. If players select "Surprise me," they can sometimes wind up face-to-face with a woman, a man, a transsexual, or an animal"

0_0
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By CL60
    @Metal_Mills said:
    " "During the course of the game, players are able to visit a brothel where a hostess asks what they are interested in. If players select "Surprise me," they can sometimes wind up face-to-face with a woman, a man, a transsexual, or an animal"

0_0 "
    lmao
    LeadNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By LeadNinja

I hate surprises.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By Alphazero

Hot blue aliens or no deal.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By The_A_Drain

There job isn't to entertain you with witty and well written summaries. It's to lay out the cold hard facts about content present within the game.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By trophyhunter
    @The_A_Drain said:
    " There job isn't to entertain you with witty and well written summaries. It's to lay out the cold hard facts about content present within the game. "
    but their other other ones have been great
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jayge_
    @The_A_Drain said:
    " There job isn't to entertain you with witty and well written summaries. It's to lay out the cold hard facts about content present within the game. "
    This.

The ESRB provides services in the form of letting any interested party (hopefully parents) read summaries of games and get detailed justifications for the ratings that have been given out to help people make better purchase decisions. Anyone reading that description could easily say "well, that sounds alright for my 16 year old, I've let him watch movies like that; but I definitely don't want my 14 year old to see this" and then they can set their house rules accordingly. What's wrong with that?

Edit: I don't see what's poorly written about it either. It's pretty stale, but then again, it's supposed to be.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Jayge said:
    " @The_A_Drain said:
    This.

The ESRB provides services in the form of letting any interested party (hopefully parents) read summaries of games and get detailed justifications for the ratings that have been given out to help people make better purchase decisions. Anyone reading that description could easily say "well, that sounds alright for my 16 year old, I've let him watch movies like that; but I definitely don't want my 14 year old to see this" and then they can set their house rules accordingly. What's wrong with that?
    "
    jayge you just don't get it
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jayge_
    @trophyhunter said:
    "
    jayge you just don't get it "
    Then explain it to me, hotshot. Unless you're talking about something ridiculously stupid like how entertaining the description is. 
    Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vision
    @Metal_Mills said:
    " "During the course of the game, players are able to visit a brothel where a hostess asks what they are interested in. If players select "Surprise me," they can sometimes wind up face-to-face with a woman, a man, a transsexual, or an animal"

0_0 "
    Great sounds like i'll be going for the surprise.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Jayge said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    "
    Then explain it to me, hotshot. Unless you're talking about something ridiculously stupid like how entertaining the description is. 
    "
    it can't be explained to someone who has a rod shoved up their ass an far as yours
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Metal_Mills said:

0_0 "
    Well, that's another point in Dragon Age's favor when compared to Alpha Protocol.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jayge_
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @Jayge said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    "
    "
    it can't be explained to someone who has a rod shoved up their ass an far as yours "

Whatever buddy.
    Whatever buddy.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By sgjackson
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @Jayge said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    "
    "
    it can't be explained to someone who has a rod shoved up their ass an far as yours "
    Are you fucking serious?
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By trophyhunter
    @sgjackson said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " @Jayge said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    "
    "
    Are you fucking serious? "
    yeah the rod up jayge's ass has a rod of its ass
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jayge_
    @trophyhunter said:
    " yeah the rod up jayge's ass has a rod of its ass "
    Did I like, make you drop your ice cream cone or something?
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Jayge said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    "
    do you know what the phrase "you have a rod up your ass" means?
    it has nothing to do with anything gay
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @trophyhunter said:
    "@Jayge said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    "
    do you know what the phrase "you have a rod up your ass" means?it has nothing to do with anything gay "

Ice Cream is not just for gay people you know.

Also, jokes are supposed to be funny, it's clearly not that. Observations are supposed to be witty, nope, not that either.

So in short, you're complaining about something that's completely ludicrous and you expect people to 'get' your pointless whining? Oh well excuse us if you didn't articulate your point better, or indicate your tone of voice through text. Not to mention the fact you can't even start your sentences with a capital letter, or end them with a full stop. I'm not grammer nazi but fuck, if you're going to complain about a written piece, at least make some effort.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @Alphazero said:
    " Hot blue aliens or no deal. "
    Just no blue dick.

Watchmen was enough.
    Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Schizoid

That sounds like my kinda brothel.

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By DeviantJoker

This isn't at all very surprising from ESRB. ESRB focuses, as they are expected to, on the content that may or may not warrant those buying it to decide if the content within is questionable for their tolerance and enjoyment - or more often, the ones they intend to purchase it for (minors). It is to, I believe, follow their summary explanations for their 'M' rating of the game such as Intense Violence, Sexual Content, etc...

It's just safe to say, don't expect to go to ESRB expecting to find a good summary of what the game actually is. It's like looking to a chemical formula to find the flavor of a strawberry - wherein it will simply give you a chemical composition of it.

And I'm sure it's no slight to BioWare. Just business as usual. And I can assure you, there is no actual beastiality in the game.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By jakob187
    @Jayge said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    "
    FUCKING WIN!

Also, I'm pretty sure he's saying that it isn't as outlandishly humorous to read as some others due to how the ESRB poorly censors itself in writing descriptions sometimes.  I find the humor in those situations, but I find it more important that the people who are checking the ESRB summaries out (all 2% of them, and those are more than likely the forum users here at Giant Bomb more than any parents) are actually getting details on what to expect from the game.

Let's face it, though:  the ESRB is a joke.  I mean, seriously.  Battlefield: Bad Company gets a T rating just because they have no blood and don't drop the F bomb but they can say "shit" every other word...while Halo 3 gets an M for what is basically the equivalent of virtual paintball thanks to alien blood?

It's a fucking joke, sir.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By trophyhunter
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Jayge said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    "
    FUCKING WIN!

Also, I'm pretty sure he's saying that it isn't as outlandishly humorous to read as some others due to how the ESRB poorly censors itself in writing descriptions sometimes.  I find the humor in those situations, but I find it more important that the people who are checking the ESRB summaries out (all 2% of them, and those are more than likely the forum users here at Giant Bomb more than any parents) are actually getting details on what to expect from the game.

Let's face it, though:  the ESRB is a joke.  I mean, seriously.  Battlefield: Bad Company gets a T rating just because they have no blood and don't drop the F bomb but they can say "shit" every other word...while Halo 3 gets an M for what is basically the equivalent of virtual paintball thanks to alien blood?

It's a fucking joke, sir.
    "
    now explain the icecream thing, I guess I'm not hip to the lingo of today's youth. ^__~
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Milkman
    @Metal_Mills said:

0_0 "
    This truly is the age of fucking dogs.
    Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Chummy8

I'm still not convinced that this game will make me stop playing Baldur's Gate 2.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

It's like a really dull erotic book.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Milkman said:
    " @Metal_Mills said:

0_0 "
    This truly is the age of fucking dogs. "
    you mean dragon sex
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JoelTGM

fight! fight! fight! fight!

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JoelTGM

yeah expect to see that on fox news?  that's nasty enough for a news story.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bubahula
    @trophyhunter said:
    "@Jayge said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    "
    "

wow, instead of legit argument you opted be an idiot, well done
    Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Aeterna

Still, I don't see what's so scary or anything about a brothel and sexual preference.

Going to a brothel; sure. has to get mentioned. But choosing a transsexual/male/female with which nothing probably happens(game just fades out or something, I'm guessing) is nothing surprising and all is well. So the big "shock" is getting shown a cow/sheep/horse/whatever and then the game insinuating you have sex with it or does it not insinuate that at all? We still don't know. It could be a joke or.. saying that could get your ass kicked in game, we just don't know. And as such I don't see the problem with that.
    slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By slinky6

I won't purchase unless you can bone dragons.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PureRok
    @Metal_Mills said:

0_0 "

I'm up for three of the four there.

@DeviantJoker said:
    " And I can assure you, there is no actual beastiality in the game. "
    Weak.
    DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @PureRok said:
    @DeviantJoker said:
    " And I can assure you, there is no actual beastiality in the game. "
    Weak. "
    Sorry to crush your hopes and joys so early. All my presumptions are purely from pre-release hearsay. There is still time! Write your your local BioWare consultant and campaign for this grand travesty to be fixed.

And I welcome any media to go out of their way to start their little tirade and uproar over something they take far out of context - or opinions are so far bent towards one pole that once it reaches the light of the rationale masses of gamers, they'll be blasted out of the sky again. Really, I wonder if BioWare actually suffered any sort of losses from this? I mean, all it did was bring them more attention which turns into more $$. While I really doubt they expected that sort of attention come to Mass Effect, especially for something so innocuous, I don't really think it injured their reputation. In fact, because the attack and claims were so insanely wrong (describing it as sex orgies online) and voiced by people who had obviously no idea what the game was about -- it just gave BioWare more credit in the end.

I'm more inclined to think that any sort of media would think twice before diving into this topic again, certainly with such "burn the witch" attitude toward a single game. Maybe a general coverage of "Why doesn't anyone think of the children?" of the video game industry - citing as one example Dragon Age: Origins.

I could be wrong though. Maybe I doubt the ability of the media to harnass hysterics.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#37  Edited By natetodamax
    @Metal_Mills said:

0_0 "
    lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.