Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

What difficulty do you play?

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By clush
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

Normal. Hard is way too hard for me to have fun. And I don't even want to think what nightmare is like.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Teran

I play on normal.  Difficulty is inconsistent because of my group make up (melee heavy fights are a cakewalk, mages however dominate me pretty hard) and I am very pleased with the play experience.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By clush

Am I the only one playing on hard? I'm about 10 level in (13%) and after a pretty tough start my party is now balanced and developed enough to come up with some sort of strategy for every battle. In fact, I might even switch to nightmare because I'm not using the 4th member of my A-team at all in combat (well, she has a crossbow...) I bring her along for lockpicking and crafting (when I eventually take that up, that is). That's not to say there's no really, really tough fights to be had. Some of them take really meticulous planning (the pack of Mabari in a certain castle for instance). But that's what I like about these games, and boy does it feel good to win against impossible odds, with one party member left alive and only a slither of health remaining when delivering the final blow...

So what difficulty do you play, and how's it treating you?

(I wish these forums would allow me to either include a message with my poll or attach a poll to my message... what I had typed originally before clicking the creat a poll-button was significantly more and better info than this... sorry, but don't feel like typing it all again at this moment)

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Teran

I play on normal because my first time through a game of this quality I want it to be immersive, not skin of my teeth survivalism.  I'll definitely be playing it on hard or nightmare once I'm done with normal.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By BoFooQ

normal seems alright, mage tower fade fight was hard but I got through.  for first play through and using a rogue I'm happy with normal.  next time i'll try hard with a straight tank, dwarf.
    Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Von

I actually play this on easy. Don't get me wrong, I love extremely hard games (like Mega Man 9) but this time I'm in it for the story. It's great that they don't penalize the player for choosing an easier difficulty level, as many other games do just that. 

My second playthrough will most probably be on hard though.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By weltal

Normal for a while, then I went to Hard because things where way too easy and now I play on Normal or Easy. The first 20 or so hours where extremely easy on normal but now I find myself switching back and forth mostly for boss fights, which more often than not annoy the living hell out of me. No tactics available to you when you fight a dragon or that damn lich-thing that killed three of my party members in a single hit.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Nate

Got the PC version, haven't really started yet. Thinking of either casual or normal. I've never really played this sort of RPG before and I want to enjoy it. I don't want it to have to be a grind to get through.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By zyn

Normal; but even on Normal it's quite tough.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By agentboolen

I usually go for normal.... Unless its a game like Ninja Gaiden 2 where I get confused and can't figure out which one is normal then I just pick the one that I think is normal.... Which in Ninja Gaiden 2's case was wrong!!! How am I suppose to know Acolytes are wimpier then Warriors???

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By cap123

Normal, the right level of challenge without being annoying i think. Do get stuck from time to time, but then i have a  think about my tactics, change things up and i can normally do it after a bit of hard graft. Change it to easy for side quests that are annoying me though, like packs of wolves when im travelling from place to place.

Chaoman223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chaoman223

I played on normal through my first playthrough, cept' for the last boss battle cause I was only level 18 at the time, and it was impossible.  Now I'm playing through again and I'm on easy.
    rohanspear345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rohanspear345

i started on normal but eventually it got to a point where i wiped or had multiple casualties everyfight  so i switched to casual and am enjoying the game x10 more
    foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By foggel

During the first playthough I always play on normal. And then I play the hardest on the second playthrough. Whatever the game. After that I play with whatever I liked the best :)

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Alphiehyr

I'm starting on Nightmare difficulty when I receive my copy.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ArchScabby
    @CL60 said:
    " Normal. Hard is way too hard for me to have fun. And I don't even want to think what nightmare is like. "
    It's like a bad dream... or you could say.... a NIGHTMARE!!
    Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aeterna

well, wasn't the PC version harder than the console versions? So now with this thread we still don't have a clue if we suck or not. 

I'm on the PC version and I'm playing Normal with an occasional bump to Easy for that fight that just kicks my ass relentlessly.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By clush
    @Aeterna said:
    " well, wasn't the PC version harder than the console versions? So now with this thread we still don't have a clue if we suck or not. 
    Don't know if that's true... but I play on PC as well ;)
    Feichai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Feichai
    @zyn said:
    " Normal; but even on Normal it's quite tough. "
    I played normal and finished Radcliffe (sp). I have now just finished the mage tower and god dang that last boss battle was very difficult. I had to drop it to easy to complete. I am a heavy tank dwarf. At times I find the battles to be very difficult and have spent a lot of time restarting battles. I have learned to pause the game more to better control the battles and also to just damn save after every fight. Very good game haven't had this kind of a challenge with this great of a storyline in any game in recent memory...
    gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

Easy. This is my first tactical RPG so I decided to ease into it.  I'm really really loving the game so far too. Playing on the PC. 

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Maru

Normal, and loving the game so far.   
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By AndrewB

I noticed the first patch for the game pretty much decreased the difficulty of normal mode. Obviously, people must have been finding it too hard. I'm finding it just about right, so long as I stick with tactical gameplay. That means classic Bioware "cheesing," like picking off stragglers with bows without drawing aggro (damn it, I can't believe I used that term).

I'm just deathly afraid of what's coming up in terms of my first real boss battle. I'm playing a rogue, so I pretty much rely on no one directly attacking me, otherwise I get picked apart.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#24  Edited By Hailinel

I've been playing mostly on Normal, but there have been a couple of stretches so far where I felt I had to give in and turn the difficulty down if I had any hope of progressing.  Specifically at the mages' tower and that god-forsaken dream dungeon.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By maxszy

I just play on normal. I want to play the game for the enjoyment and the story, not to get frustrated with battles and continue to die. Though that has happened even on normal, there are some rough spots! Especially when: (Arl of Redcliffe Quest:)

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By CenturionCajun

I'm playing Normal on the 360. For the first twenty hours or so things were almost too easy. I was steamrolling just about every fight I got into. Now things are starting to become more difficult and I'm finding myself having to try some fights two and three times. I'm definitely thinking about playing my next game on Hard however.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27  Edited By zyn
    @Feichai said:

" @zyn said:

" Normal; but even on Normal it's quite tough. "
    I played normal and finished Radcliffe (sp). I have now just finished the mage tower and god dang that last boss battle was very difficult. I had to drop it to easy to complete. I am a heavy tank dwarf. At times I find the battles to be very difficult and have spent a lot of time restarting battles. I have learned to pause the game more to better control the battles and also to just damn save after every fight. Very good game haven't had this kind of a challenge with this great of a storyline in any game in recent memory... "
    I've been tempted way~ too much to just switch to Easy but I stuck at it.  Most of my frustrations were from bosses but there is always a bug or glitch that allowed me to beat them.  An example (with spoilers) follow:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.