Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Why Dragon Age is one of the best RPG's of all time?

krlitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By krlitz

Alright so lets truely get down to the grit. Dragon Age doesn't have the best graphics. Compared to other Bioware Games the textures of some things just don't even out. 

But textures aside the characters are very nice, old people look like old people which, less face it, doesn't happen often enough in games. And one of my favorite parts, kids look like kids. For some reason most games require children to look like chubby demonic creatures that hate the player. Or at least that's how I feel when I see them. But in this game the children look REAL. Or at least as real as they could look in a video game. 

My next favorite part are the voices. They picked perfect voices for all the characters, except maybe Lelianna, I don't know how I feel about her. But everyone else is great. Especially Alistair. Best voice hands down.  

It's tough that your character can't speak except for a few annoying phrases like "That is impossible." "I can not do it" (Who knows why you're so negative) but let's get real. Could the game be as expansive as it is if they includes dialogue like in Mass Effect? No. They would have to record 6 different voices for each race and gender. With all that extra junk it wouldn't be released until 2015 and by then the world would have been long exploded. :) 

Armor is awesome and I know my friends are all about the armor in an RPG but whats the most important component? It is an RPG... Role Playing Game. That means you play a role! So that also means the character interaction! My boyfriend and friends all think that's the least important but it's a ROLE PLAYING GAME! You are pretending to be a character in a different world. Do you not talk in your current life? If you don't talk, then you can complain about the dialogue all you want. 

Anyway. It is the coolest. There are so many things you can talk to people about. Interaction with your characters is so extensive, much more then Mass Effect. You actually understand why the player and another character fall in love or like each other or what ever. And the very best part of it is this.... the characters ask YOU questions about YOUR life! WOW! Perhaps I'm a bit easily amazed but that seems like the coolest thing ever. In most games the NPCs are narcissitic and don't care about the players feelings at all. Not in this game. No you are definitely gonna be connected to this game. As long as you don't skip the awesome conversations cut scenes. 

So I should probably wrap up my rant but before I go I have to say that if you have only played as a boy you really should play as a female. There are much harder choices, a bit of racisim, and it's really great. Alistair is perhaps the awesomest character of all time (That includes all movies and games) He is courageous but also funny. His dialogue options are amazing. But I understand not wanting to play a different gender but seriously the female-romancing-Alistair version of the story is much more difficult.
    The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By The_Dude

I have been stupid addicted to this game for the past few days...ITS SOO GOOD!

phonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By phonics

Gee, I've never heard someone call a game that was just released 'one of the greatest of all time' before.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Jeust
    @Phonics said:

" Gee, I've never heard someone call a game that was just released 'one of the greatest of all time' before. "

I agree and there is life after Dragon Age. 

It seems a great game, on line with the Lord Of The Rings fantasy, but i don't think it's the best of all time. 

For me Fallout 3 beats it in gameplay and atmosphere for one. 

Lost Odyssey has a much tender and emotional story. 

KOTOR has a epic story that expands thru the universe, in which you are "the greatest warrior of this time". 

Jade Empire while it follows many of the KOTOR conventions, has a much deeper and philosophic story, channeled into a Chinese inspired mythology 

In Mass Effect you have much better graphics, and visit planets, though devoid of life, really feel like real and different ones. 

The Witcher has a great gameplay, a good story, more original, and some nice branching in story.  

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion has also a massive open world, and is more impactful visually. 

Also there is coming Divinity 2: Ego Draconis that is much in line with Dragon Age. 

So you see there are many games that fight with Dragon Age about that place...
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

This isn't a question
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Why do people keep saying Mass Effect has better graphics? It really doesn't... they're about equal, even Dragon Age with a bit of an edge.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jeust
    @Khann said:

" Why do people keep saying Mass Effect has better graphics? It really doesn't... they're about equal, even Dragon Age with a bit of an edge. "

that or the dragon age models are uglier. 

Also it has graphical imperfections, especially about the hair of the characters. 

That didn't happen in mass effect.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jeust said:
    " @Khann said:

" Why do people keep saying Mass Effect has better graphics? It really doesn't... they're about equal, even Dragon Age with a bit of an edge. "

that or the dragon age models are uglier.  Also it has graphical imperfections, especially about the hair of the characters.  That didn't happen in mass effect. "
    How are the DA models uglier? 

Graphical glitches... I haven't noticed that at all. Are you playing the 360 version?
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jeust
    @Khann said:

" @Jeust said:

" @Khann said:

that or the dragon age models are uglier.  Also it has graphical imperfections, especially about the hair of the characters.  That didn't happen in mass effect. "
    How are the DA models uglier?   Graphical glitches... I haven't noticed that at all. Are you playing the 360 version? "
    The mass effect models seemed better detailed and more harmonious. 

No, i'm playing the pc version. 

Have you look closely about their hair in close-ups? 

Have you applied the 1.01 patch?
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Jeust said:
    " @Khann said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " @Khann said:

How are the DA models uglier?   Graphical glitches... I haven't noticed that at all. Are you playing the 360 version? "
    The mass effect models seemed better detailed and more harmonious.  No, i'm playing the pc version.  Have you look closely about their hair in close-ups? "
    I own both on the pc mas effect and dragon age . And they both are equal . If you look closely in mass effect they are about the same . Now does your pc run both on max setting me wonders
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By delta_ass
    @krlitz said:
    " Alistair is perhaps the awesomest character of all time (That includes all movies and games) "
    Um.

Somehow, I feel like I should take your post with a grain of salt.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jeust
    @turbomonkey138:  

lol it does...  

Maybe it can be the darker tone of Dragon Age, but i still prefer mass effect graphics.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Jeust said:
    " @turbomonkey138:   lol it does...   Maybe it can be the darker tone of Dragon Age, but i still prefer mass effect graphics. "
    Tbh i do too . In fact i prefer that kind of game too fantasy . But don't get me wrong i love dragon age . I still love KOTOR and it had questionable graphics . Graphics don't mean that  much to me in games like this
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jeust
    @turbomonkey138 said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " @turbomonkey138:   lol it does...   Maybe it can be the darker tone of Dragon Age, but i still prefer mass effect graphics. "
    Tbh i do too . In fact i prefer that kind of game too fantasy . But don't get me wrong i love dragon age . I still love KOTOR and it had questionable graphics . Graphics don't mean that  much to me in games like this "
    true... but if they are really good they can help emersion.   And that is important to me...
    krlitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By krlitz
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:

This isn't a question "

Ha... you're right. I guess I was so emotional over Dragon age I forgot proper grammer. 

Ok so perhaps I went overboard a bit. I love Dragon Age, but I love those other games you all mentioned as well. All I was trying to get at was that Dragon Age does a great job of combinning all these great factors in other games. It reminds me alot of Witcher. 

Anyway I was in a weird place when I wrote this... so don't judge me too harshly. I was so overwhelmed by the character interaction while my friends subsequentally told me it was pointless. I needed to rant to someone. So I guess take everything I said and dilute it 10% maybe 30. 

But I still love Alistair. He's a mixture of a bunch of great characters. Personally I like the humor the best. Nothings better then a guy who can make you laugh. And what I really love is that he isn't nice to everyone all the time. Like a real person if you do something to piss him off he'll be mad. 

But again, I went overboard. But if you hate me for it then I will understand..... (sob) 
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Dragon Age is awesome.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ninjakiller

Since you still have your default avatar it can slide. 

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By foggel
    @Phonics said:
    " Gee, I've never heard someone call a game that was just released 'one of the greatest of all time' before. "
    Halo fans? Halo 3? I have ;P
    raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By raidingkvatch

Dragon Age is most certainly awesome (BioWare have yet to wrong by me), I'm not sure about the best RPG of all time, I really don't like to make that kind of judgement. Not sure about Alistair, while I thought he was amusing, I found him a bit whiny and annoying at times, my favourite characters were Morrigan (sexy, funny, and little bittle evil) and Sten for being relentlessly taciturn. I'm so in love with this game that I'm right at the end, but can't bring myself to finish, because then the story will be over so have instead started again with a whole new character

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.