Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age

Franchise »

Dragon Age is a series of fantasy medieval role-playing games by BioWare. BioWare considers it a spiritual successor to their Baldur's Gate RPG gaming series. It is furthered upon through the creation of comics, books and other forms of media. Truly this is the age of dragons.

Next Dragon Age maybe taking elements learned from Skryim

• 61 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

@Spaceyoghurt The part of Skyrim they're taking is the dialogue. You know, how there's only one option for almost all the conversations.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Hitchenson

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

Not being shit.

Nailed it right away, I applaud you.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Buscemi

I'm going to hate it until it's good.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By endaround

@Wrighteous86 said:

@EchoEcho said:

He goes on to say that Origins performed well on consoles, but only a small portion of the audience who bought it enjoyed it enough to finish it. Bioware said as much from their achievement tracking. When you look at it that way, the awful Origins marketing actually did a good job of getting people that don't like that kind of game into buying it, oddly enough.

And I call bullshit on this reasoning. Most games aren't finished. Most people don't play through an entire game even one that only lasts eight hours. So the idea that this is unique to DA:O always upset me.

Bioware no longer really knows what to do and they still are envious of Bethesda's sales so I expect they are thinking "We'll make Skyrim with dialog wheels!".

Spaceyoghurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By Spaceyoghurt

@Brodehouse: I Know. And sure, I can get behind that, since I love the dialogue options in DA: Origins and Mass Effect and the impact it has one your personal experience. To be honest, that is what role playing is all about for me, not the stats or the dices. But I think it's unfair to say that Skyrim ain't got any player choice. It's just uses a different method; you choose with actions instead of with words. Making the choice to go left instead of right in the world of Skyrim can have a really big impact in your experience. But sure, it could be an even greater game with more varied dialogue, and it would be welcomed.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Yes, you should look at the game where the only two dialogue options are "I'll kill that thing for you." or "I'll come back for this quest later." for your robust, choice based RPG franchise.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By Gabriel

@NegativeCero said:

Not necessarily something they need to learn since they've already done it, but I want them to let me create/import my Grey Warden from Origins and ditch the Hawke/Shepard protagonist that has spoken dialogue.

That's not gonna happen, they already said they were done with the Grey Warden and you'll most likely import Hawke.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By wrighteous86

@endaround said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

@EchoEcho said:

He goes on to say that Origins performed well on consoles, but only a small portion of the audience who bought it enjoyed it enough to finish it. Bioware said as much from their achievement tracking. When you look at it that way, the awful Origins marketing actually did a good job of getting people that don't like that kind of game into buying it, oddly enough.

And I call bullshit on this reasoning. Most games aren't finished. Most people don't play through an entire game even one that only lasts eight hours. So the idea that this is unique to DA:O always upset me.

Bioware no longer really knows what to do and they still are envious of Bethesda's sales so I expect they are thinking "We'll make Skyrim with dialog wheels!".

I thought the stat was that most people didn't get much farther than their "Origin". If that's the case, it is pretty damning. If it's not, and I just made that up in my head, then you're right; it's not limited to DA:O.

Bioware could look at its own successes to see what it's doing wrong, but they're too busy going for quick cash grabs that satisfy no one.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By EchoEcho

@Zelyre said:

Poorly constructed? I am hurt. :(

I'd like to think it simply went over people's heads. The Baldur's Gate Alliance series was incredibly forgettable, and it's sad that many people think that's the game gamers are talking about when they talk about Baldur's Gate fondly. It's a bit like how some people refer to Skyrim as Oblivion 2.

Well, it certainly went over mine. I think it's because your experiences aren't as ubiquitous as you might think. I've never personally encountered anyone who assumed Dark Alliance when the words Baldur's Gate were mentioned, nor have I ever encountered anyone who calls Skyrim "Oblivion 2," not even amongst my Call of Duty-obsessed mainstream gamer friends, several of whom were big fans of Oblivion and, likewise, Skyrim. So while I can understand what you're getting at, it's also pretty understandable that I would "miss the joke."

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By JasonR86

I think taking what he said to mean Skyrim-like is reading into his comment quite a bit. Even if it were true, it worries me that Bioware, three games into a franchise, is still trying to figure out what they want that video game to be.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By wrighteous86

@JasonR86 said:

I think taking what he said to mean Skyrim-like is reading into his comment quite a bit. Even if it were true, it worries me that Bioware, three games into a franchise, is still trying to figure out what they want that video game to be.

Especially when most people just want their first attempt, but more polished.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.