Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age

Franchise »

Dragon Age is a series of fantasy medieval role-playing games by BioWare. BioWare considers it a spiritual successor to their Baldur's Gate RPG gaming series. It is furthered upon through the creation of comics, books and other forms of media. Truly this is the age of dragons.

Similar CRPGs?

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Red

So after beating ME3, I've felt a need to go through some other character-based RPGs. I want a game in which I have an interesting party, that I can learn and grow with. However, most other non-BioWare or pre-KotOR games of this type I've played are bogged down with some really needless DnD trappings and overly complex systems. To me, Dragon Age perfectly captured a deep, strategic complex system while still being accessible.

Any suggestions?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Baldur's Gate and its sequel are pretty much your best bet. Yes, I'm sure these are the exact answers you didn't want, but Dragon Age Origins is pretty much the spiritual successor in terms of controlling a small group of characters in a pseudo real time environment, which is something that was basically monopolized by D&D titles of that era Sure, 2nd Edition AD&D isn't the most intuitive system in the world, but once you figure out that having low THAC0 and Armor Class are good things it all falls into place from there and really isn't much of a bother. Of course, Baldur's Gate 1 is also not the most newbie-friendly title out there, so theoretically you could start with BG2, though that game has a really terrible introductory dungeon that seems designed to scare the less dedicated away.

Of course, if you are cool with stories being the secondary focus, I also recommend Temple of Elemental Evil (ok, that's a lie. You need a fairly thorough knowledge of D&D 3.5 to get anywhere, but if can do it you probably could... with some motivation), Both Icewind Dale games (once again, D&D. Sorry 'bout that), or maybe the Might and Magic series, though those are first person and much different in terms of design. I still think they are totally rad, but that's just me.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By artgarcrunkle

Get Baldur's Gate 2, slide the difficulty slider all the way down so you can play it like babby's first rpg and still enjoy the writing.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Marz

uh.. Witcher games i guess. they aren't party based but they are good character driven games.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Red

Well, it isn't even just the depth of the combat. It's that the combat just seems a little distant. I mean, do fighter classes ever get the ability to do something aside from auto-attack and use items?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@Red said:

Well, it isn't even just the depth of the combat. It's that the combat just seems a little distant. I mean, do fighter classes ever get the ability to do something aside from auto-attack and use items?

You could pick paladin or ranger, as they get some spells 'n such. Alternatively, you could roll with a ton of multiclassed characters for more utility. The good thing about Baldur's Gate 1 is that it throws a lot of those guys at you in addition to pure classed people. And then there's dual classing, which is pretty confusing but basically the way to go if you are into munchkin character building.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@Red: Not really, that's a shortcoming of the 2nd edition ruleset. There are plenty of good fun to play dual-class and multiclass options but it sounds like you're not into going that deep into the game.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By FreakAche

We need whyareyoucrouchingspock in this thread so he can explain why we're all terrible people for suggesting that Dragon Age is better than Baldur's Gate.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@FreakAche: I can't think of anything about the Dragon Age series that's better than the Baldur's Gate series. DA has modern graphics but BG's painted backrounds have aged well.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By FreakAche

@artgarcrunkle said:

@FreakAche: I can't think of anything about the Dragon Age series that's better than the Baldur's Gate series. DA has modern graphics but BG's painted backrounds have aged well.

I'm not saying definitively that one or the other is better. I actually haven't played either, haha! My only hardcore RPG credibility is that I GM a pretty casual game of Star Wars Saga Edition.

I was just pointing out that this is the type of thread I'd expect to see whyareyoucrouchingspock post a bunch of sensationalist craziness in.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By coaxmetal

If you want to play Baldur's Gate (and you should, since bg (2 specifically) is one of the best games ever made, certainly one of the best crpg's) you may want to wait for http://www.baldursgate.com/news/2012/03/15/announcing-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/ , which is supposedly coming summer.

In the meantime, may I suggest Planescape: Torment (aka the greatest game ever made, ever), another infinity engine classic, or perhaps Fallouts 1 and 2.

The witcher games are also some great modern RPGs. And all of the games mentioned have better writing than either DA game. DAO was a good game, but, speaking as someone who has recently replayed IE games (and am currently replaying PS:T), the DAO combat is, while good, ultimate shallower and less interesting that the 6-character Infinity engine action.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By coaxmetal

also, "crpg" is a term referring to "compter rpg" (the infinity engine genre, basically). Not character rpg. hth. That's what I thought you meant. But PST still has some of the best characters ever in a video game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@FreakAche said:

We need whyareyoucrouchingspock in this thread so he can explain why we're all terrible people for suggesting that Dragon Age is better than Baldur's Gate.

So basically he's the new Hitman is what we have all decided? I'm down for that verdict.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@FreakAche: He's right about a lot of stuff but his posting style sucks and people are weird and defensive when someone suggests that modern games could be better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.