Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Apr 23, 2013

A re-release of Dragon's Dogma, Dark Arisen includes a new high level area with new monsters and quests from the original, as well as a handful of refinements to the original game.

Am I missing out on anything just having the original?

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Deathshroud

Yesterday was my birthday and a buddy of mine got me Dragons Dogma ( which was pretty cool because I think I talked about it once like 4 months ago). But at that time I did specifically talk / want Dark Arisen. I did start playing it yesterday and I am starting to get into it. But I feel that I might be missing out on having the less version of the game. AM I really missing out that much on stuff or does it not really matter?

I was considering being one of those people considering trading it or selling the copy given but It doesn't really sell that well and I would feel like a A-hole ...well maybe a little , for like 5 minutes. but anyway I am wondering if its still worth purchasing Dark Arisen, if its worth it that is . And I can find it cheap enough.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@deathshroud: Dark Arisen is a kind of 1.5 expansion with some tweaks and additional content. Yet, it certainly isn't necessary. If I were to choose between the two, I'd say go with Dark Arisen, but then, if you have Dragon's Dogma, you aren't really losing out to just play it. Dark Arisen fixes a few things, but Dragon's Dogma is still generally the same game. Unless you really care about some extra end-game content(of which there is already plenty), I'd say don't sweat that you have Dragon's Dogma instead of Dark Arisen.

If you can somehow end up only paying $5-$10 more for Dark Arisen, though, I'd probably recommend doing that. If it's going to be $20 or more to get Dark Arisen instead, don't worry about it; it's certainly not necessary to enjoy the game.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup it doesnt really matter too much. Enjoy the game it is very underated!

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Clonedzero

Dark Arisen is basically just an expansion pack that comes with the full game as well.

I bought Dark Arisen on disk so thats how i experienced the main game. I dont believe i missed anything, it just adds and fixes things.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#5  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Dark Arisen adds a few convenience tweaks that make some of the traveling a lot less tedious, but it's not necessary.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Dark Arisen adds a few convenience tweaks that make some of the traveling a lot less tedious, but it's not necessary.

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish I had the original DD, you get a lot of cool armors and a very, very, very useful infinite ferrystone from just importing your save into Dark Arisen!

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm missing out by not having the base game.

If I were to answer seriously, then you aren't missing too much. The new content is certainly quite cool and features a demon-gurren-laggan as the final boss but there is plenty to enjoy through the base game. Dark Arisen has some nice quality of life upgrades though. I can't imagine going through that game with only, like, one or two teleport locations?

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By The_Ruiner

It's a little better because of the added content ..but not essential.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#12 fisk0  Moderator

I'm missing out by not having the base game.

If I were to answer seriously, then you aren't missing too much. The new content is certainly quite cool and features a demon-gurren-laggan as the final boss but there is plenty to enjoy through the base game. Dark Arisen has some nice quality of life upgrades though. I can't imagine going through that game with only, like, one or two teleport locations?

Yeah, I own both versions, when I first got the original I thought that theme song felt totally out of place, but when I got Dark Arisen and noticed the song wasn't there, I really missed it. Such a silly fucking song, but you start growing kinda fond of it over time.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Seppli

@superwristbands: @trafalgarlaw: @clonedzero: @jimmyfenix: @truthtellah:

@the_ruiner said:

Am I the only one here who likes Dark Arisen's additional content the best of the package? Bitterblack Isle is amazing!

It's taking Dragon's Dogma's tight combat, adds Dark Souls-like difficulty to it, and sets all of that in a Diablo-esque multistory dungeon. A dungeon you'll have to beat twice to get the real ending. The whole dungeon gets so much more nasty after the first playthrough, the final boss even doubly so, it's a real nailbiter. Absolutely amazing, and easily 50+ hours worth of content.

What I like most about Bitterblack Island is, that it takes everything that makes Dragon's Dogma great, and makes it all like ten times denser. Enemies everywhere. Big-ass baddies everywhere. Dragon's everywhere. Secrets everywhere. Useful loot everywhere. And so forth.

Dragon's Dogma is The Diamond in the Rough, Dark Arisen is The Diamond Cut to Semi-Perfection. Just admit it guys, you didn't really delve into Bitterblack Island like you should have? Too tough? Or you just went through it once? *wink*

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@superwristbands: @trafalgarlaw: @clonedzero: @jimmyfenix: @truthtellah:

@the_ruiner said:

Dragon's Dogma is The Diamond in the Rough, Dark Arisen is The Diamond Cut to Semi-Perfection. Just admit it guys, you didn't really delve into Bitterblack Island like you should have? Too tough? Or you just went through it once? *wink*

I made it through BBI twice but I did not defeat the boss a second time...it's just that the AI of my fellow pawns is pissing me off.
    In fact, I gave up after three of the idiots got smacked into the abyss by executioners...with two dragons on my tail and 5 of those giant knights standing before me. I really wish the AI was competent enough to not go cliff diving.

I loved BBI and random death encounters. Dragon's Dogma is one of my fav games this generation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.